Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The bow always took energy! It was just some trivially small amount of energy that typically regenerated before you fired a second shot. Not sure if it's changed in a recent patch or if it just scales up in higher tiers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Falsum posted:

Haha holy poo poo why. (Even if the first one is a bug, the second one isn't.)
I know goons seem to love rushing to defend this game, but there's a whole bunch of really lovely fundamental gameplay elements that are just broken and simply unfun (such as the speed of digging and resource gathering, combat being swingy and imbalanced, etc) and a lot of the updates seem to be making things worse or adding elements that complicate the core issues. I mean there's a reason a lot of people are pissed off and unsatisfied with the game (even if a lot of it is impotent nerdrage) and I get a strong feeling the way the fundamentals have been broken for months now is a huge part of why there's a lot of frustration about the slow development schedule. If things were actually fun right now then nobody would really give a gently caress if it were incomplete.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

SaGa Frontier 2 has a system you'd never notice
Isn't this every system in any SaGa Frontier?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Seriously though, most of the complaints would go away if you could:

1) Mine twice (or three, or five times...) as fast as you currently do
2) Mine 4x4 instead of 3x3 since the character is four blocks tall
3) Have combat actually be balanced so it isn't rocket tag depending on which side outlevels the other

I mean the game would still be sparse with a lot of unnecessarily tedious grindy bullshit, but the first two at least are completely trivial changes done by modders within the first week and there's really no excuse for things to be this awkward almost a year out from retail release.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

they don't need to protect the sanctity of the grindfest
Apparently the devs think they do need to.

Which is why this game is tedious and unfun and will continue to be so until they change their minds and become less dumb grog nerds.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Gee, I wonder how Starbound is doing, I haven't checked the thread in like a y:stare:
Don't worry, there's an update any day now that fixes everything. :haw:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Minrad posted:

uh no there's the nightlies that have added...
Lots of improvements! Like making everything harder to mind and making progression way slower!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They're selling it in a store for cash money. It's been released.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

E-Tank posted:

No, You can buy and pre-purchase Starbound. You just gain access to the alpha as a bonus.
It's in a store for cash money.

It doesn't matter if they call it an alpha, beta, epsilon, or whatever the gently caress. It's a product that is for sale. "It's a beta!" is not and has never been a valid excuse for a game that is available for immediate purchase and play being bad, and the fact this hardly unique to Starbound doesn't change that.

oddium posted:

Starbound is about two things: building and exploring. The matter manipulator/pickaxe situation is a trainwreck and combat is staggerly worse than Minecraft's. But it's okay because they're going to change things at random in the nightlies until they find what people like
Pretty much. I'll be quite happy if it turns out good, but as it stands right now there's core gameplay elements that are just not fun and there's no sign of them getting to be fun in the foreseeable future. Hoping and wishing it might eventually be good doesn't mean poo poo until there's actual patches and results.
Yeah, that isn't really a fair comparison.

You regenerate health in minecraft so you can actually explore without having to use five hundred loving bandages or drop a tent after every third fight.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

"I bought this suit from a tailor, but it doesn't fit and weirdly smells like cheese for some reason. But it's okay, they're a good tailor and they promised to fix it eventually. I mean they never gave a date and their last suggestion was to dye it puce but I'm sure it will be fine eventually!"

I can make meaningless analogies too! :hurr:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

it's just that you proved your point all to well, that analogies are useless when you try to apply them without consideration
Yes, thank you.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

A-are you sure...? :ohdear:

And really, 99% of the annoyance over Starbound will go away if and when there's an actual live patch that fixes core issues and adds a degree of content. But there hasn't been that, and mocking the game as it stands is perfectly fine. Because it's all that's there.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

You willing took the suit away before the tailor was done with it, after the tailor explicitly said that they were not done with it.

Babe Magnet posted:

analogies are useless when you try to apply them without consideration

OwlFancier posted:

Matter manipulator/other tools as permanent mining boosts, and picks as power ups is interesting as it offers a potential subversion to the material tier-gating system.

As in, even if your manipulator can't dig it up, you might find a pick that can, which lets you get a limited amount of rare ore to play with.
It's still a bit silly to be using picks in a space game, but yeah that's not actually a bad way of going about it. Although a lot depends on how it's balanced (amount of uses, time needed to actually dig poo poo up, etc) and whelp.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Chucklefish should've gone the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon way and made everything neon. Neon pickaxes and bows and guns!
sounds good

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Forcing people to dig for ores won't be fun until actually digging through the planet isn't a slow, tedious loving slog.

Just for the record.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it's not a hard change really. It just needs to be done.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's okay, the next one will be good!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sadly, this is not a just world.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

why the gently caress i would get either of them when i fully well know how to play dwarf fortress is beyond me, though.
Gnomoria has a mostly-sane and consistent interface and actual graphics.

Never bought or played Towns and never will so can't comment there.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's not their fault, it's only a beta!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Psygnosis posted:

I'm kind of sad they're removing the survival aspects of this game. I thought they were interesting. :smith:
Spend time setting up a farm and waste inventory space and then you get the special fun of not dying!

No, it was stupid and was always stupid. You can make hunger-style mechanics work, but the game literally has to be designed around the resource management. In something like Starbound it's just a tedious timesink and distraction.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's what the developers did, after all.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Please continue the LP. Think of all the content that hasn't been shown off yet.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

Seriously though whens stable
Any day now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Hey has this stupid loving game updated since they lied about the artist leaving and then didn't update it for months upon months?
The update is any day now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mom dad please don't fight :(

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Any day now!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:chanpop:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Ive come to the conclusion that most of you don't deserve the awesome that is starbound. I think most of you deserve a good starpounding for being terrible posters.

But seriously, when the update hits I know the majority of you neckbeards will be elbow deep in the new content for a month and talk about how awesome it is until your thumbs bleed. Then you will complain because mod makers aren't working fast enough and somehow this will be ChuckleFish' fault for not giving you a handy while you play because some diety forbid you play 1 handed for a while.
The update is any day now!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Starbound!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

In fairness, the stable update has to not be poo poo too.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Won't somebody please step up and defend the honor of Starbound.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

nuclear throne is the only good early access indie title
Kerbal Space Program.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Asimo posted:

Won't somebody please step up and defend the honor of Starbound.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

XboxPants posted:

The game's so early right now
I wish I made a lovely 2D indie game. I could be loving around with basic mechanics in a laughably incomplete game three+ years after development started and a year after selling the thing, and people would rush out of the woodwork to defend it anyway.

Those silly AAA developers with their "actual schedules" and "completed products" have no idea what they're missing out on.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

God bless them.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

When will it stop being "early" though?
Never! That's the beauty of it. :swoon:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

See this is the real problem people have with this game, a lot of time has passed and they don't really seem to have much to show for it.
Pretty much. If Chucklefish released a stable patch that fixed most of the issues, added more content, and basically had something to show for most of a year's work then the game would be fun and nobody would care.

But they haven't, and probably can't. So the shitposting shall continue unabated. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Reiley posted:

The game is full of things which attack you on sight. Having a good system to interact with these things in an enjoyable way is pretty high up the list. There are plenty of other games for tedious grinding and getting lost in anonymous landscapes, this one had the unique potential to let you go on a hunt.
In fairness, mining, gathering materials, building, and crafting are pretty horrible in Starbound too.

• Locked thread