Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Trivia: That's The Carpenters, The Fortunes, and either Richard Harris or Donna Summer.

Three different groups/singers? Weird then that she says "both of you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

BarbarousBertha posted:

radio + weather = both

It isn't weird at all because it is a terribly written unfunny Gilchrist joke.

Oh. I completely didn't get that's what he was going for. Thanks.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Pakled posted:

Everett True

But Everett, look at what you're doing, standing up and shouting in the middle of the performance! You have become that which you so despise!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

The only thing I can come up with (after spending more time looking at this than I'd care to admit to) is because her hat matches her purse and shoes. I'm not sure how this would really rule out her stealing the hat today, though.

Edit: I feel like the answer probably relates to the water dripping from his umbrella, but can't see any indication of her hat being wet or dry.

CaptainCaveman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 5, 2014

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Sharay posted:

Am I missing something obvious here? Because as far as I know, the speed of sound is roughly 0.21 miles a second. Is this what the textbox is saying Jonah should check again or what? :confused:

Peter? Is that you?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Really? All I can think is "you get your crappy characters outta Wee Pals, Darrin Bell".

If it makes you feel any better, that ran as a Candorville strip, not a Wee Pals one.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Sloth, is that you?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Borden posted:

Cab drivers communicate to each other by radio. So he can obviously hear. Alternately Slylock fires his gun right next to the drivers head, and the driver recoils from the sound indicating he's lying.

She told him her destination.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

This is utterly incomprehensible.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

This must be Edwin's first time walking any dog, ever.

Edwin is the dog.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

JJJ taking Spider-Man in for being a vigilante is totally not being a vigilante, uh, somehow, I guess.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

This Nancy arc where the gag consists of "Other comic strips exist!" annoys me way more than it should. I don't like or care about the strip so I shouldn't really be bothered by it so much, but....

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Phil and his uncle appear to be just a little over four feet tall.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The Little King

Is there a running gag with the Little King trying to sneak away from his guards or something? The gag appears to be him disguising himself as himself so he can get away but I don't read it often enough to know why he'd want to get away.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Has Inspector Danger always been so ridiculously terrible or is it one of those things that started out good but ran too long?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Because how did they know they were oatmeal cookies?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

"Oh crud, I didn't space things out right, I'm going to have just one word all the way over on the left in the last line, that will look terrible! But there's nothing I can do about it now. Unless..."

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

ZeeToo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

What's the actual answer? I'm guessing it's that the photos were manipulated because the fire looks the exact same both times.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Even if her coat is buttoned wrong, that doesn't prove he did it, inspector!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

C'mon ZeeToo, you've gotta link the original or we'll never stop wondering how insane the answer actually was.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Is there an actual LOTR joke here beyond "Ha ha look he got Nazgul pool toys so there have to be nine of them"?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Inspector Danger is amazing. It's like the guy has seen Slylock Fox and read Two Minute Mysteries and loved them both and wanted to combine them, but completely missed the point of them.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

ZeeToo posted:

Presumably it's Doris, since her first and last name together have 14 characters. We'll just ignore the 88, I guess.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Dr. Dos posted:

Presumably it's Harold, since the 8th letter of the alphabet is H. We'll just ignore the 14, I guess.

He'd probably run them both in.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

I picture this being like the scene in Airplane!, there's just a line of people waiting their turn to fight him.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

This is a good puzzle, since there is no possible way to cook chicken without the bones still in it.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

Poor Alfie hasn't figured out the Inspector's tricks yet. I doubt he expected the first watch of the night to mean "You stay up until morning while I get a good night's rest."

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

sInspector Danger's Crime Quiz

YOU STOL THAT NECKLACE

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

It really irks me when people use a quote from a character and attribute it to the actor.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

The fact that the solution to this one involves ignoring information that it outright tells you makes it possibly the best example of the strip.

"Look they're all left handed! What's the solution?" "The one guy's not left handed!"

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Of course, nowhere is it established that today is Friday, August 13th. If he's been dead for a "very long time" we could have thought he was mundered more than a month ago.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

This is so stupid, but now I can no longer say "I've never laughed at a Peanuts strip."

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I guess "before" is supposed to tell us she spent 10 minutes untangling her earbuds before running, but the way it's phrased it sounds like she just stood on the treadmill for ten minutes, then tried untangling her earbuds.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

ZeeToo posted:

The phone handset's not actually connected to the phone? A real pizza place would've asked what a "just pepperoni with the works" is? Would a real pizza guy have gone to the front desk instead of the room directly? The pizza box is clearly not big enough to hold a pizza?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I actually went to Comics Kingdom to get the drop panels today because it was legitimately jarring to me to read this without them.

And no one calls you "Matchmaker Mary" Mary. Admit it. .

"Even if it turns out better than I planned." So ideally, people are only allowed to be exactly as happy as Mary intended, but she generously doesn't begrudge them if things turn out better.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

But what about the random "1312" in panel 6, Inspector? What about that?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

And Inspector Danger puts away another innocent man for the horrible crime of having had some money saved up.

I've come to realize that Inspector Danger is the strip I look forward to the most. I'm not really sure what that says about me.
Edit: Look forward to in a "love to hate" kind of way, I mean. Not saying it's good.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

But... you do have customers that want to watch the game. One of them just asked you to put it on. (I don't actually have a problem with the bar catering to the customers who don't want to watch the game, but the phrasing on this one is just terrible.)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze today is brought to you by the letter GAMS.

Shouldn't he have been walking the other way for this to have worked? It looks like she's supposed to have been hiding around the corner and stuck her foot out, but the way he fell means he should've seen her there the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

I know Inspector Danger's not actually meant to be a funny comic, but this one is kind of hilarious.

• Locked thread