Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Saeku posted:

edit: Oh yeah, and I could use more recs -- had a great time this week with X-Men: Legacy, Superior Spider-Man, the Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and the X-Men First Class movie. I'm really into these kinds of storylines where the focus is less on whether or not the hero will win a given fight, and more about the internal conflicts that drive heros and villains. Any more character-focused books I should be getting into? (Not involving Batman. I've already read a lot of introspective books about Batman.)

Superman - Secret Identity is a fantastic, completely non-canon story that's all about what Clark Kent wants in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gotham Central is a really good low-level Batman series (except the Bat-family isn't in it much).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Is Cassaday the reason why Planetary took so long to finish? What's with his delays?

Ellis' father's illness and death contributed to the delays I believe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A few bits in Gotham Central are about how frustrated the GCPD feel about having to work around the vigilantes in the city, including telling them to their face.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

zoux posted:

Ugh. What is Jeph Loeb's deal?

A bunch of very bad poo poo happened in real life and it kinda broke him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Batman Black and White has a huge range in style and tone and might be worth looking at.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Planetary is something I'm reading through slowly because I don't want to binge and be done with it.

Mimir posted:

I don't even know how you talk about classic Ellis sci-fi without mentioning Transmetropolitan. It's not as polished as some of his later stuff (Planetary), but it's also more than 5 or 6 loving issues.
Maybe people assumed it was obvious, I dunno. It's certainly worth recommending though.

Is there any actual acknowledged link between Futurama and Transmetropolitan? They feel so similar in a lot of ways.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't see it.

Futurama has things like career chips and suicide booths and eating sentient species. There's a Transmetropolitan story about how people waking up from cryosleep have trouble adapting to the crazy world. Nixonian presidents in both. That kind of thing.

There are obvious differences in tone, and both use common sci-fi scenarios and tropes. I just get the impression that the Futurama writers room had a few copies of Transmet in it.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 30, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rucka was also on Gotham Central with Brubacker.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Just happened to see the (lovely) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie, are the comics any good?

First two I think are great, after that it starts to get into the more obscure / esoteric stuff. Black Dossier was hit and miss and ultimately lost me, so I never really read Century.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Castor Poe posted:

Can you guys recommend me some Superman books?

So far I have:

-Red Son
-Man of Steel
-Secret Origin
-Birthright
-All-Star
-World's Finest (the 12 issue series)
-For the Man Who Has Everything
-Whatever Happened to...
-For All Seasons
-Kingdom Come
-Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
-Grounded (:barf:)

Secret Identity. It's a story about a kid called Clark Kent who realises he has superpowers, like that comic book character everyone's always making jokes about.

It really doesn't get the exposure it deserves.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Raffles posted:

What should I pick up if I want to get into Moon Knight (both new and old)?

The trade of Ellis' recent run.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

On the Marvel side, I'm reading Ms. Marvel, Daredevil and the most recent run of Deadpool. I tend to like light, street level adventure over anything "cosmic." Any suggestions for anything ongoing? Anything I should seek out in trades? I understand DC's gearing up for an event - should I just hold off for a few months?
(Aside from the previous great recommendations) Squirrel Girl is pretty fun. Multiversity's one of the best things DC is doing at the moment but it's cosmic as gently caress at times.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So I finished the Fraction / Brubacker run on Immortal Iron Fist. How does the follow-up stuff compare?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

What's some Harley Quinn stuff that's fun and silly, and not killing lots of kids with exploding gameboys? Something for someone who likes Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl.

Girlfriend's seen some stuff she liked (I think from Injustice?) and it piqued her interest in the character.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Alris posted:

I've been playing Arkham Knight recently and realized I have never read a Batman comic. What's a good trade paperback from the last 10-ish years to get that corrected?

Hush and Long Halloween are the two that are closest to the Arkham games. They're big, sprawling things that shove in as many famous characters at possibly, arguably at the expense of telling a tight, focused story. Fun though, and very influential.

Black Mirror , Year One and Gotham Central are great introductory Batman / Batfamily stories.

Endless Mike posted:

I totally agree with Black Mirror, though. It barely matters at all that it's Dick, from what I recall of it.
It's pretty important thematically, but it doesn't directly affect the plot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Alris posted:

Ok, going with Black Mirror and Year One to begin with, moving on to The Court of Owls (specifically this one, right?} and I'll pick up Hush and The Long Halloween at some point. Thanks for the input!

Yeah, that's the Court of the Owls. It's followed by City of the Owls, and Night of the Owls is a collection of side-stories and tie-ins that aren't remotely essential.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, heres something I was thinking about. If you wanted to introduce someone to Grant Morrison's stuff, what would you recommend?
We3, unless they've got an interest / familiarity with the Big Two franchise characters he's written about.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

toanoradian posted:

I love the current Ms. Marvel run by Wilson and Alphona, what other comics would I enjoy? I quite like the art and the sheer joy Kamala has when she met other super people.

Squirrel Girl.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

sporklift posted:

Is the Multiversity HC that just came out self contained or do I need a bunch of tie ins. Piecing together the reading order for Morrison's Batman run was a bit much for me.

There's some setup / carry-over from Final Crisis with Nix Uotan (and from one issue of his run on Action), but it's pretty self-contained.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Hey guys. I'm reading through the Multiversity HC and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. Granted that I'm not too far into it (Pax Americana, Watchmen throw back), but from what I gathered, it is a bunch of on shots, that *sort* of tie into the first issue which is the cursed comic book? I'm assuming that all the one shots are alternate universes in the DC world? Is all of this going to tie in together at the end?

The Guidebook (the issue two after Pax Americana) sets it out a bit more concretely, but you've got the gist of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

obi_ant posted:

I'm reading through the guidebook now. Out of the 52 worlds, which ones are "real" comic book lines?

Earth-0 is the main DC universe. Earth-1 and Earth-2 are the settings of the books of the same names. Earth-3 pops up frequently as the main evil alt-universe.

Lots of the others are Elseworlds or famous AUs (eg New Frontier is 21, Red Son is 30, DCAU is 12 and 50).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

I've recently been getting into comics. I like things where normally serious characters have light hearted shenanigans and/or don't achieve much. Examples of things I've really dug include More than Meets the Eye, Fraction's Hawkeye, Waid's Daredevil, Schadfer's She-Hulk, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel (2014).

Is there anything else like that for me? Bonus points if it's on Marvel Unlimited.

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat! is something you should check out (although it's still new and so won't really be on unlimited yet).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That reading order makes sense if you've just dropped a bunch of singles and decide to read the first thing you pick up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

At least with Morrison's Batman you can read one trade at a time, it's not nearly as awkward as Hickman's stuff jumping across multiple books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just read Snyder's Batman in chronological order. We all lived getting the origin story half way through. It breaks up Joker storylines too.
Skip tie-ins. Skip #23._ issues (Villain Month). Skip Eternal. Skip Arkham Manor.
Skip Detective Comics except maybe for the #27 special, which has a short Snyder story that links back at the end.
The only Zero Year tie-in I'd advise is Action Comics #25 and that's just because it kicks off Greg Pak's run.

N52 Batman Incorporated and Batman and Robin are well worth reading, but you really have to go back to Grant Morrison's old Batman #1. Leave that for another day.

e: You'll see one 'Batman' issue mourning Damian's death (which happens in Batman Inc) but pay it no mind. The kid really couldn't matter less for Snyder's series.

Yeah, this is good advice. That reddit list is too focused on internal chronology and completionism and not enough on reading things that are actually decent.

Batgirl (after the rework in #35) and Greyson are probably the best of the extended Batfamily pieces, but they aren't really related to the main Batman run.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Is Avengers vs. X-Men good? I ask cause I'm reading Nova (Sam Alexander) and it seems like he played a fairly significant role in the event.

It's a big dumb crossover event.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Teddybear posted:

I picked up a month of Marvel Unlimited, and the goofiness of Squirrel Girl is growing on me. Have they published anything in that sort of webcomicky, goofy style before that might scratch the same itch?

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

Okay, not read any superhero type comics since 2009 or so (with the exception of The Boys, which I really liked)

Any recent recommendations for someone who really liked Planetary, The Authority, Top 10, Powers and Nextwave?

Dial H.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Silly, fun Marvel? Patsy Walker aka Hellcat!, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's not strictly within the purview of this thread, but Venture Bros. is well worth a watch if you want more villain / henchmen stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Does Hawkeye's deafness count?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Azathoth posted:

This has already gotten longer than I expected, so I'll cut it off there. Any thoughts on what I should try?
Fraction's Hawkeye.

It's street-level superheroics with two well-written leads, has fantastic art, and is contained in 4 trades / 2 OSHCs or one Omnibus.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

Coming back to the well for some more rec's
Can you guys comment on / suggest some marvel graphic novels that aren't available in marvel unlimited / are not collections of previously published comics?
I think I've discovered a small sampling, with the Thanos revelation trilogy, and Squirrel Girl beats up the marvel universe. Are these worthwhile? Are there more like that out there?
Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe is exactly what you'd want / expect from a Squirrel Girl OGN.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

What Secret Wars tie-ins are worth reading, from the perspective of someone who doesn't have any attachment to the various series / events they're about? I'm mostly after stuff like Siege or Thors, which either tie into the main series or have a really neat concept.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

Things I've enjoyed lately:

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat
Power Man and Iron Fist
Ms Marvel

What else should I read in that vein? I briefly read some squirrel girl and that was maybe too tongue in cheek for me but I'd be willing to give it another shot.

The recent Mockingbird series?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Safety Biscuits posted:

What are some good Tintin books to start with? A friend said he liked Hergé's art style so I thought I'd get him one or two for Christmas.

Try The Black Isle. It's a fun adventure story about a counterfeiting ring and avoids the awkward political issues that plague some of the other early stories, and has some of the best art.

E: Other good choices are The Crab With the Golden Claws (which introduces Haddock), The Secret of the Unicorn / Red Rackham's Treasure (about Haddock's family history; together with the previous story they formed the basis for the movie), and Cigars of the Pharaohs / The Blue Lotus (which introduces Thomson and Thompson (to be precise, they are introduced in the first story), and Chang, and is where Herge started to have better political ideas).

The AVClub had a good rundown on where to start with them too.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 1, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Big Centipede posted:

I'm interested in Moon Knight. What tpbs should I look for?

Ellis' run (From the Dead) is short and sweet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Any more good recent villain "face turns"?

Clayface joins the Batfamily in the post-Rebirth run of Detective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

Hey folks, DC has a big sale going on, and I have only ever read marvel. Looking to start reading some other stuff. Can you give me some recommendations from what is on sale right now? There is way too much to choose from, so any recs, just what you have enjoyed reading would be appreciated. I am open to anything, so long as someone here considers it good.

Here are three of my favourite series that haven't been mentioned. None of them require a deep investment in DC continuity.

The Omega Men is about a super space cop getting caught up in a violent insurgency. It's by Tom King.
Batwoman was introduced in the excellent 52 before getting her own run in Detective Comics. It's by Greg Rucka with stunning art from JH WIlliams III.
Gotham Central is police procedural written by Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker. It's about how the GCPD handle a world where the Batfamily and their rogues gallery exist.