Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Jim Lee worked on the Savage Land issues where Magneto kills Zaladane, although whether he had any influence over the plot or not is another matter.

But yeah, when you read X-Men #1-3 you'll kinda see a big change, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Shooter was gone by then really, the X-Men editor at the time was Bob Harras.

I don't think he had a huge shift in Simonson's New Mutants. He became frustrated because they continually disobeyed him (because the book would have been boring). He felt responsible for Cypher's death, and at the same time the X-Men themselves "died". He had started down a path (with Storm's blessing) where he was involved with the Hellfire Club, but the New Mutants never really trusted him because of it. I'm sure a lot of this was discussed with Claremont. Simonson ended up having the same problems Claremont did when Liefeld came on the book and wanted to introduce a bunch of new and totally xxxxxtreme things, and just sort of gradually took over.

e: btw the Claremont/Lee falling out wasn't just over Magneto, and the "falling out" was more between Claremont and Harras. I don't think he wanted to bring Professor X back into the book either. It was a number of factors, but really Claremont felt frustrated that Harras wanted to run with all of Lee's ideas for the bookk.

e2: This page is amazing.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 30, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Traditionally, Magneto's costume is simply red, so it stands to reason that he's holding back the years.
:perfect:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's funny to me that you thought bringing back Peter's parents was a terrible idea, before you knew where they eventually went with it. :allears:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I heard Captain America is now a Nazi? Is this actually true?
No there are some very fine people on both sides and he's one of them

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought "Consider this your trigger warning!" was a funny line.
It's about as funny as that Ultimates line which everyone seems to like.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 28, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

prefect posted:

Mark Millar licks goats.
We don't care.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

TwoPair posted:

You're right that there probably isn't a shadow war at Marvel between writers and editorial. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there isn't any impact to having Nextwave be canon but maybe people are just happy because a mini they liked is being referenced after they were previously told it wasn't canon. I know you hate Nextwave with a passion so maybe this concept just makes no sense, but substitute Nextwave for an enjoyable mini of your choosing and decide whether or not it would bring you a modicum of happiness seeing it referenced in a "main" book.
I enjoyed Nextwave but I don't get the obsession over whether it's canon or not. For one thing, the focus on whether stories "matter" or not is kind of harmful to comics in general. The other side of it is that I don't think most books would benefit from The Captain or Dirk Anger showing up, unless they were also kind of straight up comedy books.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC he lied to them and said that the whole thing was going to build to an alien invasion story.
I don't think it really matters what Kirkman told Image considering they simply publish the book and have no real say over what happens in it.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 1, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I think it kind of does. They do some vetting on what they publish before they publish it.
They don't decline stuff based on the genre or type of story though. If you submit a lovely pitch which doesn't meet their standards, it'll go straight in the bin.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah but if they don't want straight super hero stories right now that's probably what they consider a lovely pitch. Quality isn't in a vacuum.
lol what

Quality is subjective, sure, but I doubt they want straight-up super hero stories ever. This is getting a bit away from the point though that it doesn't matter whether or not Kirkman told Image that he was going to introduce aliens into the Walking Dead but didn't because Image don't really care about that too much, nor do they have any control over it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

CityMidnightJunky posted:

How exactly is Peter related to Aunt May and Uncle Ben anyway? Which of them was actually a sibling of his parents and which parent was it?
Read this comic to find out! (Maybe)

e: Beaten, but still...

mods rename this poster to wheat cake

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 3, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Batman's Shameful Secret is actually that he has never said "gently caress".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Do not read anything by Scott Lobdell.

Squizzle posted:

Evergreen post.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

It totally is, Rebirth absolved Barry completely. Which they sorta had to do, since Barry Allen, Time-Traveling Mass Murderer was not a good look.
I mean, they're just going for synergy between the comics and the tv show.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

While we're discussing the Flash, was there any reason why Waid's (original) run was broken up by the Morrison/Millar issues? Did Waid leave the book but come back, or did he just need a break from it for a bit?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you mention Turner D. Century 3 times on a single page, Edge & Christian appears out of nowhere.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Benito Cereno posted:

Pretty sure they just thought it would be fun to swap books for a while. Morrison and Millar did Flash #130-138 (Millar did #139-141 solo) and Waid did JLA #18-21 and #32-33. These issues roughly line up time-wise? Kinda? I don't know if there was any more to it than that, but maybe.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

He took a year off to do JLA: Year One and The Life Story of The Flash.

Thanks! I was curious since I have a couple of the new tpbs of his run, and also the Morrison/Millar tpb. I had noticed that Waid came back to Flash afterwards. It's interesting to read more about the goings on behind the scenes sometimes.

The whole thing around the "Fastest Man Alive" series post-Infinite Crisis was weird too. Poor Bart did not get treated well.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

Can Batman play any musical instruments?
The real Shameful Secret.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It'll just be ignored until someone comes along who just can't ignore it and must retcon it, even though it hasn't been referenced in 20 years.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I wanna say that the Sienkiewicz run on New Mutants has some pretty experimental storytelling in it, but it's been a long time since I read it and I can't remember any specific examples.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but Claremont's Storm and Kitty are awesome, at least the first time around, I haven't read any Claremont stuff from when he came back. Is any of it worthwhile?
All I'm gonna say is do not read the Storm: The Arena arc of X-treme X-Men (or, really, any of X-treme X-Men).

That series had a kind of a cool hook but just was really terrible. I had just gotten into comics when it launched and hadn't read any of the previous stuff regarding Destiny's diaries, but having a team leave the mansion for ~reasons~ (really so that Claremont didn't have to deal with any continuity from other X-books) was a good idea. The whole thing with Destinies diaries seemed to get dropped after the opening arc though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Regular people can stop homophobes, we don't need superheroes for that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Tony went through the Siege Perilous off-panel, that's why he's no longer inverted.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

bessantj posted:

Are there any characters that have had numerous origin retcons?
Magma from the New Mutants had her origin retconned, then un-retconned back to what it was originally.

Spider-Woman has had a few changes to her origin over the years too, Bendis came out with a Spider-Woman: Origin mini back around 2005 to give a sort of canon version of it.

Magneto I guess, kind of. Mostly his name though I suppose, for the most part the details of his origin have remained the same.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That whole thing with the Flash: TFMA was kind of weird. Didn't they kill Bart horribly in the last issue?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Steph was never really given a fair shake at being Robin. That's all I can contribute really, outside of saying that Dick is the best (as both Nightwing and Batman). I did love the Dick-Bats, Damian-Robin era, short as it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The fights against the tanks were so tedious.

I loved Asylum and City, but found Origins and Knight to be fairly tedious disappointments.