Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the long-term plan is for workshops to be replaced with the zone/location system? I vaguely recall hearing that somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is it possible to see the details of performances in fort mode, or is that just for adventurers?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mygna posted:

You can now hit enter when looking at a dwarf with v to bring up details of his current job, including extensive descriptions of performances they are holding or listening to.

Sweet. Looks like that only applies to residents, which would be why I hadn't found it (all the performances were being done by visitors).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RedTonic posted:

If the king of your civ dies, who takes over the role? Is someone just elected to the position? I ask because the current king doesn't, and won't, have an heir. Also, do widowed dwarves remarry?

I believe if there are no related heirs the successor is picked at random.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

I can only imagine the FPS hit a sewer system with pipes and fluid mechanics would add.

Also wow you thought it was a pain in the butt carving bedrooms out before just wait until you need a plumbing hookup for them all...

You'll be doing that for the eventual beer faucet anyway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Huh, it's not in the list at all. Can anyone think of a reason why it wouldn't show up on a pretty fresh copy of the game? I installed a tileset, but I wouldn't think that would mess it up.

It should be there unless you're working from old raws. Did the tileset include raw files, or did it only affect the Data folder? That would probably break it if it's not up to date.

The option is here:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

You know I think it might have. I'm using spacefox and I think it changed the font along with a few other things possibly. How would I go about re-updating my raws without breaking my save? Would I just copy and paste from a fresh download or do I need to avoid messing with some things?

The safest thing is to copy and paste the Raw>Objects folder from a fresh download, though it will then break some of the tileset graphics (so you might see grates in the walls or what have you).
Alternatively, you could go into that folder and copy everything except the inorganic_* files (but do copy inorganic_other; just leave the rest), so you'll keep any of the reconfiguring of the rock images. None of the normal rocks and dirts got changed in the last update, just the derivatives in inorganic_other.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It'll be in item_tools. Bear in mind though you'll need to generate a new world for the new raws to take effect. You could even just copy the bookcase entry and paste into the new one, it's near the bottom.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Could you mod reaction raws to make new kinds of prepared food with those sort of requirements?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lareine posted:

Another thing that has been bothering me is some dwarves that are whining about being away from friends and family HAVE NO FRIENDS OR FAMILY. You can't exactly be missing Mom if you never had one.

Should probably be giving them an opportunity to make friends, then!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It still amuses me that Toady spends a year making sure the world's scholars properly exchange and develop technologies and ideas, then quickly cranks out the power to make specific item orders during the bugfixing stage. He's done that before too with minecarts...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

So I just started playing this again, after a long time of barely playing it/not playing it at all.

How do I deal with dwarves suspending a workshop's construction because there's a rock or whatever in the way?

Forbid and unforbid the rock. Normally if there's something in the way of the site, a dwarf will move it, but if another dwarf is set to get it for a different job they can't. Forbidding and unforbidding cancels whatever task it was being claimed for so your builder can move it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Why did a dwarf with no labors enabled besides mining decide to go harvest plants :psyduck:

Like farm plants? All dwarves do that if you don't set the option to have them not.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Met posted:

I think that would be more fun in adventure mode when that mode is fleshed out but Id rather it stay a bit abstracted for fortress mode.

This is Dwarf Fortress we're talking about. The moment Toady decides to implement cooking properly you know the kitchen will be asking if you want white bread, brown bread, rye bread, spelt bread...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Excelzior posted:

..wouldn't the fortifications allow the magma to flow through?

The dwarf is specifically a noble.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Toiwat posted:

(Translated: haven't really played since 0.34.whatever, how much of the initial progression has changed?)

You'll probably want to explore the revamped work orders, since now you can just set up a "make this minimum number of beds/drinks/etc" order and leave it forever from the start of the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mygna posted:

That's going to be useful against certain arena builds.

I love that she immediately goes full Macbeth.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm intrigued by the creation settings on that feature list. Magic, Randomness and Hostility could make for some very unique games if nothing is able to fight, or dogs have toxic quills or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't understand how you could have access to the metal bars but not weapons made from them on embark.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

What's changed that allows civilians to go on the offense like this?

Booze. Alcohol now actually gets people drunk, including affecting their bravery and immoderation. Dwarves are pretty much perpetually sloshed if you're treating them right, so they're much more willing to fight. Including the occasional bar fight that leaves a corpse or two.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

To me I think the primary interface problem is one of having multiple solutions to the same problem. The stocks menu, the stockpile menu, the trading menu, the construction material menu - they all give the basic function of "pick from a list of available items" in different ways with different control schemes. There's four different ways a 'building' can exist - workshops, zones, rooms designated from furniture, and now locations. There's a button for examining units, and one for examining building contents, and one for generally looking at things, all of which fit the function of "tell me what is on this spot". The game could benefit a lot just by unifying the processes that do the same basic thing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Is there a way to bring the embark wagon inside?

You could build a house around it. Otherwise no, it can't be moved.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's the hammerer that doles out punishments. Failing that, jail time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You can edit the raws so that dwarves reach adulthood much earlier. Look for [CHILD:12] and lower the number.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

Two dumb questions:

I have a caged giant mole I want to butcher. When I try to assign him to an actual cage building to then release him and be cut down for butchering, they just take him back to the animal stockpile cage. Am I missing something about releasing animals?

A child went melancholy after I ignored his outrageous project demands. How should I deal with this? Will it cause a tantrum spiral? Should I toss him down a pit?

You shouldn't need to uncage something to butcher it.

A dwarf who is melancholy will mostly not do work and might try to kill himself by tossing himself down a pit. This will probably make his friends and relatives pretty sad but he's not going to kill anyone.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

wait so we have now another liquids system that's more granular than 0-9 per square?

MAH FRAMERATES

The spatter system is pretty old, you used to see it with blood a lot.
Notably, it used to be that blood would get onto the feet of your dwarves who would track it all over your fortress by getting onto other dwarves' shoes and so on.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like the idea of having more gameplay-oriented, long-term goals in fortress mode. I never was much for megaprojects.

Well, building your own fiefdom isn't going to be in for this major release, but maybe the next one? It seems like the natural extension from here to sort out dependent sites. Then you can get your conquest on.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I look forward to the first novel about Chilledaces the Boat of Losses.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

On a different note is there a good way to get dwarves to spread stockpiles out more? I want to put a some bedrooms and a barracks further down in the fortress but don't want them to have to go all the way to the main level for food and drink.

You can set up stockpiles to pull from a parent stockpile, for just this sort of purpose.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

"I went with a command system that transfers your intention into the mount's head when you press a movement key" is the most Dwarf Fortress way of implementing mounted movement.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

That was explained by Toady once right? In like the most nitemarishly :iit: explanation ever.

It popped up during a personality rewrite a few years ago. Basically if I remember correctly, an adventurer still has their basic desires and interests and personality just like any other person in Dwarf Fortress, but they being directly possessed and manipulated by an outside force (the player). They're still fully aware of their surroundings and actions but have no ability to control them. So they're a passive witness to all the horror the player unleashes, and most of the time it leads to uncontrollable sobbing.

Not quite the same bug, though that's still one of my favourite devlogs. The bug there is that once an adventurer starts crying, they never stop.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So the game has had a necromancer, purely by her own initiative based as a result of her personality, give herself a spooky nickname as a joke.

Dwarf Fortress!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I have not. What’s all that about? I have dwarf therapist. Is that the same thing?

Manager is a job title in the [n]obles screen. Once you have a manager, you can set up work orders like "make 10 beds" and they'll automatically be handed out to whichever workshops are free to do the task.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

The value totals at the bottom of the screen changed accordingly when I picked items to trade, so maybe that dwarf did?

If it was a star symbol, it was value (and your trader had some appraisal skill), if it was a gamma symbol it was weight.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Popete posted:

So do you have to relinquish a fort to start another fort? Can you then later on go back to the old fort? But you can only ever have one active at a time.

This is all correct. You also have to leave the fort if you want to play Adventure mode.

Note that Retiring a fort relinquishes it to the AI so you can do something else; Abandonding the fort turns it into a ruin that you'll have to reclaim from scratch.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

This needs to be the thread title somehow. I don't care if it's too long.

Make it the title of the r/Relationships thread.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

What we really need in the steam version is voice acting.

Procedurally-generated voice acting, depending on the species, age, size, sex and injuries of the speaker. This will take up 40% of a CPU and somehow cause your dwarves to kill each other constantly.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Precisely - it trains strength (which any sort of manually operated pump would do), not focus or any of the other stats.

It makes sense too; you've basically set up a gym with rowing machines.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SubNat posted:

I'd really love custom liquids though, even though there wouldn't be a lot to do with them, other than making beer-waterfalls and the like.

You make it sound like this isn't an excellent reason to make full fluid systems in itself.

I think the main problem with getting beer and other liquids in tile form is managing what happens when they meet. Water and lava/magma have a set combination of turning into obsidian; it's a lot less clear what happens when Water meets Dwarven Ale, or Great Olm Blood meets Alpaca Milk.

I'm sure it's inevitable at some point, though. Liquids are already well-defined as coatings and drinks, these just need to be extended onto terrain to be a proper simulation. It'll probably get put in as a side-project when Toady One wants to make a cool aesthetic for secret temples or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tias posted:

One thing I've always wondered about, is there a reason some leathers cost more than others from start? If I pay 15p blind cave bear leather instead of the (presumably shittier) 5p dingo leather, will I get something that is somehow stronger, or yields better protection from blows? Anyone know the mechanics or just reason behind the cost differential?

I think it's just a straight cost modifier on each creature, and more expensive products give happier thoughts and contribute to fortress wealth but don't make practical differences.