Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You get to wear enemy armor like Smo&O's because honestly who didn't look at them and want to murder them and then put on their clothes? (or Marvellous Chester or Lucatiel etc)

If From cared that almost all the armor you wear should be way bigger than you and wouldn't let you get it, it would limit your options which would be a bad thing in a fashion and dressup simulator such as Dark Souls.

Incidentally when I thought armor mattered I tried to figure out Poise because it didn't make any sense compared to how simple it was in Dark Souls 1, and the wiki pages on it are absolute madness. Play Fashion Souls forever and never look back.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Those skeleton mages shooting their tracking pew pew beams every single second they're alive has meant I've ended up having to kill them until they stopped respawning on both characters I've taken through Tseldora. They're a big reason I'll always make sure to have a long range option on all my characters.

It's a huge liability not to ever get a ranged option anyway though. When the game has bows, crossbows, sorcery, miracles, pyromancy and hexes, (and items for medium range) there's not much excuse for never picking up a way to kill enemies from a distance. I really wish you didn't have to rely on binoculars to do it with all magic though, it feels like a really hacky solution. I don't know why they don't let you aim spells from 3rd person anymore (it only lets you fire straight forward or up/down at something like 45 degree angles where you'll never hit anything).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

argondamn posted:

Soul Memory is the boogeyman

Soul memory means it's harder for me to endlessly kill new players in low level areas with a twinked-out super character they can't possibly win against. With soul memory I can't get effortless nonstop reassurance that I'm good at videogames!!

Maybe it pushes you into tiers of matchmaking on a character that you wouldn't want to progress but it's nice to actually get to play the game early on without getting randomly interrupted by identical twink dicks that pointlessly waste your time. With literally no protection against invasions anymore besides spending items to shut off direct online altogether, I sure as hell wouldn't want to see anything else changed that would favor them. Unfortunately hackers/cheaters are currently doing their best to make it just as much of a headache as in Dark Souls 1.

I got so few souls from beating phantoms summoned in the Grave of Saints at low soul memory that I would have had to win 50-100 more fights before it would have pushed me to a higher tier anyway (after 15 wins or so). Instead it was a hacker suiciding that did it for me. I know summon signs and higher level fights raise your soul memory way faster than the rat team, but just like Dark Souls 1 it wasn't the system that hosed it up as much as it was the players.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Does two-handing a shield do anything for you besides more stability?

You can attack to bump things with it for a (usually) very small amount of damage and knockback. It's pretty useless unless you made some kind of offensive shield build, but I did bump an enemy off a cliff once when I thought I had my weapon two-handed but instead had the shield.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In a coordinated coop run, having your second randomly-summoned phantom die moments into the fight just adds that extra bit of challenge for your teamwork to overcome!

I think it's a good idea to try to beat every boss once on your own so you at least know not to do things like run at smelter demon when he plants his sword in the ground. Getting summoned to someone who hasn't drained the poison for Mytha is just painful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I have to say though, I feel kinda bad for PVPing here. I kill most dudes in two hits and haven't lost a single fight (winning streak of around 10 fights) :(

You can't feel too bad as a dargon or a rat, because either they had to summon you or you're denying them a couple minutes of their time at most and at absolutely no danger to themselves. They're the covenants for PvP if you don't want to feel bad for winning.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm using a keyboard but I've found that my main trouble with executing guard breaks is that they require you to not be moving. You can't be moving around and immediately try to guard break, you'll just do a normal attack. If you hold still for a split second though, you can guard break just fine. This of course makes trying to use them in PvP a pain in the rear end since you're basically always on the move.

Don't know if this is how it works for other people but I've been able to guard break far more consistently when I stop moving right before doing it.

This explains a lot. Every time I try to do one in a fight and bork it I always try to practice the controls afterward and of course can suddenly do 5 in a row flawlessly, which I assumed was the game making fun of me but I guess it's because I'm standing still when I'm practicing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Messages can be awesome but goddamn there must be a lot more teenagers playing this game considering how many identical chest- or but hole-related messages there are in every single area. Probably 1/4 of the messages I see on some days, which has kind of worn out my patience for them.

I don't think the condescending messages to skeleton will ever get old though.

I have no idea why "wheel" is even a message (and in Body Parts of all places) but it means there's usually wonderful messages around Gavlan.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TheRagamuffin posted:

There's a skeleton in harvest valley that has the side of its head pressed against the ground. "Listen carefully, skeleton!"

I wrote that exact message once or twice and will write it on every character that passes by the skeleton.

I also make sure I have a "nice job, monster..." in the back of the pig alley in Majula :smith:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All 3 games choose to waste your time for no reason when you die on a boss and it's one of the stupidest things about each of them. In Demon's Souls it was less of a problem because most of the bosses were not such huge spikes in the difficulty curve for the areas they occupied. But getting stuck on a distant boss is pretty much the biggest headache you can experience in the series because for every 5 minutes you spend stuck, 1 minute is spent actually fighting the boss and the other 4 are just running back wasting your time.

It's so much less frustrating to die on a boss that's actually right next to an archstone/bonfire because you can just learn from it and try again right there. But otherwise it's twice as frustrating as it needs to be since the moment you die you know you'll have to run around a bunch before you can try to make progress again. Because apparently it's necessary that you run through an area which you've already completed and which no longer poses any threat to you as punishment(?). When I saw Darklurker on my first character and saw how much you'd have to slog through each time, I just left after the first death since I wasn't going to use any of the stuff Darkdiver Dankdunk gives you anyway.

Darklurker is really weak to lightning so you could try lightning urns if you don't have miracles or a lightning weapon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have played all 3 DLCs and can definitely say that they're overpriced for the amount of content they offer (all of which was cut from the original game). These are things that I know.

Fuzz posted:

Unrelated, but I leveled up a Great Club and am digging it, but holy poo poo its durability is awful. You invariably will clip through corpses for multiple hits so you can't ever consistently use it for an entire area, because it'll break.

How could FROM gently caress this up so badly compared to DS1? What was wrong with the old durability system from Demon's and Dark 1? :wtc:

The old system was pretty pointless and basically did nothing but make you screw around in menus for a moment every time you sat at a bonfire for a couple souls. It may have had the same broken implementation but it didn't matter because the game ran at 30 FPS on all systems and everything had so much durability that it never mattered anyway if hitting a corpse made durability drain.

I actually liked the idea of the new system a lot, since it's way less hassle if you don't let anything break and actually affects the game in sort of interesting ways, they just implemented it really really badly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rat team is the single PvP covenant that puts you at risk and not the people you fight, who have absolutely nothing to lose. You cannot possibly complain about the rat team.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Yes, you lose time. Considering the situation is hilariously imbalanced against you (good luck escaping against a properly prepared ratbro), that waste of time is really annoying.

The only saving grace to that poo poo is that it is optional.

They're in optional areas (far more optional even than the belfries which have some spells/bastille key/etc) and literally every single other PvP covenant doesn't invite you to their world for completely no risk, they just come into your world uninvited and kill you. Which loses you time and progress--they're infinitely more dickish. You can use estus in the rat world and you don't even have to kill the world master to win: you have 2 ways to win when they only have 1. You lose no progress through the areas, which are so short that you can complete them in the time it takes for a single invasion timer to wear off. You also get an item for winning, while winning against any other covenant just gives you a pat on the back and lets you get back to dying to the enemies instead of to a player. (Dargons excepted but you choose to participate with them.)

If you were complaining about PvP/invasions in general then yeah, all of them gently caress you over for no reason and it's a headache if you just want to play a singleplayer game, but out of all the covenants there is literally not a single thing the rat team does to you that the other covenants don't do much worse.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't read anything about increased move speed. But the way it increases roll distance and stamina regen means the biggest difference is at 50% equip weight (your rolling distance goes from 65% to 80% there). So just adjust your weapons and rings until you can play fashion souls at under 50% or under 70% weight.

This will tell you how much range you can get to at your soul memory. At 2.8 million you can summon at up to 5 million.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 5, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

Second one wasn't so nice - someone summons me at the tower bonfire, and by the time I get to their world they're somewhere else in the forest - I track them down to the Pursuer fog gate finally. When we get in the fight, I have a chance to use the ballista and get a shot off before I rejoin the fight. The Pursuer gets on me, and mid-swing for landing the last hit that'd kill him, THUNKTHUNKTHUNK, the host shot the loving ballista off and the shots stabbed through both the Pursuer and me, and I don't get my token. Great. :v:

I've been killed 6 times by other players on that goddamn boss. 3 times as a phantom like you at the same time the boss died (denying you your humanity/token/souls) and 3 times as a human because summons just always have to "help" you by running to those loving ballistas every single time. The most recent time I even tried to get pursuer to destroy them just so we could fight him normally but I couldn't get him to smash the last one in time.

Never ever play with anyone else for that fight unless it's the first appearance with no ballistas. I'm pretty sure the normal encounter is there to force you early on to learn how to beat the endless "big enemy with a weapon" bosses.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Normal invasions serve a purpose, or at least they did before this game. They were there to present a challenge to those who chose to stay alive, either because they wanted coop help or because they sought the invasions specifically. The way it is now is bad because you can't opt out without going offline so they made the items needed to invade scarce. This is a problem but it's not the same problem. The rats don't serve a purpose. You lose nothing, gain nothing, all that happens is your time is wasted. There's no threat and there's no reward, so what's the point in doing it at all?

The belfries and rat domains are incredibly short and easy without their online component. The challenge in those areas is explicitly supposed to come from other players. Maybe you could argue that the purpose of the covenant (adding flavor and challenge to their 2 areas) failed because it's too easy to get past them, but actually participating is far from pointless no matter which side you're on.

Vs. the rat team it's only an opportunity for you, since you can get through the area in their world or get a lockstone (which yes is not great if you're not a rat yourself, but that's a problem with the lockstone distribution and not a total absence of a reward). For the rat team you get covenant rewards and it's pretty much the most guilt free PvP you can do, which probably doesn't matter to most of the game's players but as a non-competitive person who still plays some competitive games I think it's a plus. It's 0% risk-100% opportunity for the phantom and it's the rat team's choice to participate, so it can be fun no matter which side you are.

The covenant rewards aren't bad because you need (comparatively) few wins to hit rank 3, and the most immediately useful rewards only need rank 2 at 20 wins. But the real reward is getting to hear more of the Rat King's smooth and sexy voice every time you rank up.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 5, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

If you can't see the difference between actually getting close to a boss to fight them and just throwing 6 lightning spears at them from across a room, you're the dumbass.

Bosses have ranged attacks too, some of which are considerably more dangerous than their melee attacks. Can I call the bosses out on cheesing me if they kill me with a ranged attack instead of fighting me fists only no items SL1 like a non-scrub?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

kazil posted:

New magic in the DLC will be cheese magic and the argument will shift to literally cheesing bosses.

Heirs of the Sun are already in the game. They just become cheese phantoms instead of unleashing actual forbidden cheese magic--Sunlight Spear is used instead as it is the closest physical approximation to the essence of cheese.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I can't even hit him in my first game as pure melee. Sometimes my Claymore will hit his little rats, but most of the time they'll either phase magically through the blade while also biting me, or my slash will simply do nothing as it passes through all of them.

By this time, The Authority will have already leapt onto me and I will be at 25% health and Toxined.

gently caress that fight, I guess I'm never gonna be a Ratbro.

It's the fact that the same attack will have wildly different outcomes against the little rats that's really making me grind my teeth.

The small rats are probably the dumbest thing about that fight, I had a horrible time with them my first time playing because both my spear and rapier would just stab over them most of the time, leaving me nothing but my way slower halberd. And if you try to use lock-on while the small ratdogs are still alive, the camera can't figure out if you want to look straight down or straight up as it furiously pivots between the Authority's head and the ratdogs, ensuring you'll get toxified in a matter of seconds.

But if you want to join the rat team you can just go to the Grave of Saints. Of course if you want to get the Authority's soul and be able to hand in rat tails at the Door of Pharros you'll need to kill the boss, but otherwise there's absolutely nothing behind the authority.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You could go one Sun Sword and one Falchion for a curved sword + straight sword moveset, which will include a thrust attack. If you use the falchion in your left hand you can also parry with it while not power stancing. (I did this on my first character but am usually too coward to try parrying so I just fell back on my usual shield/bow crutches)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought the Gutter was a step down from Blighttown really, which I strangely didn't hate. The Gutter felt very boring because there's nothing to look at most of the time but a single shade of background color, while Blighttown gave you a view of the lower Blighttown nasty, Quelaag's Domain and even the sky peeking through the upper architecture if you looked up. Referring to PC Blighttown of course since its frame rate made it horrible on the console versions.

kazil posted:

You have so many technical and gameplay issues that I've never seen anyone else mention. I swear you are playing some weird game that isn't Dark Souls 2!

You should see their XCOM and Mass Effect 3 multiplayer posts. RBA Starblade emits a subtle but powerful glitch aura

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

OIK is the easiest boss I've faced in the game to this point (Freja is next.) His moves are all uber-telegraphed and slow even when they're on the way, and his recovery times are massive.

(The Magus obviously doesn't count.)

Easier than the guy who commits suicide and who you can shoot to death without even entering his arena??

I guess you could have skipped him.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Turns out Licia is incredibly easy if you just use a super smash attack over and over. It lets you hit her again before she fully stands up so she can't use her instant cheat code miracles.

I'm pretty sure my own phantom appeared after awhile.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the deal with the cyclops's bite? It instantly killed me, but I went to bleeding, fell out of its mouth, moved away, then died. It was still actually eating me though.

That's happened to me too. It teleported me into its grab from several feet to the side, then instantly killed me while I could still move and swing my weapon behind the YOU DIED message. Polish!

Also after having tried to kill the drakekeepers with no ranged attacks I now completely understand the problem with them (or enemies in general) having no stamina restrictions. They just do not ever have to stop loving attacking unless they feel like it. Also the same attacks can stagger you for wildly different lengths of time at the same poise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Buck Turgidson posted:

There is a disturbing lack of pirate pvp in this game. Where are all the dudes wielding falchions/rapiers and work hooks?

This is the best I've seen so far. He must have cheated in Lucatiel's gear that early but it was hard to care.

Good thing the filter was around to save me from the s**ck of his terribly offensive name.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 9, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gently caress

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

aegof posted:

Luca's super easy to kill*, and right behind Dragonrider or Pursuer; no reason to cheat it in.

*might not still be true if the patch made her harder to backstab into oblivion.

Oh I didn't know you could get her gear by killing her. For some reason I thought the NPCs had evolved the ability not to drop their clothes on death between Dark Souls 1 and 2, because it was going to make fashionable NPCs extinct.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Do I really got to spend one human effigiy for each time I wanna try beating Darklurker?!

Gotta pay Dankdribble DarkDunk for shipping and maintenance costs on his IKEA teleporter to the Dampdark Abyss of Dark.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

Also, talking about this kinda made me miss the armors that were exclusive for one gender or another in Demon's Souls. Gave you more incentive to play with one or the other. I miss Miralda's Set, drat!

Or for Demon's Souls they could have just not arbitrarily locked them to one sex, and use 2 different equippable sets for the male/female versions of the Dark Souls ones that arbitrarily change based on your sex, so everyone has maximum dark fantasy fashion & dressup options.

Flytrap posted:

So what would be a good FTH setup that doesn't use Lightning Spears? I kinda wanna do a holy crusader dude but I've used L. Spears on like 3 different dudes.

It's not useful in as many places but Heavenly Thunder is pretty fitting. Targray's armor required!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

Also, what the hell man, where are the sheathes in this game? claymore plus a bunch of weapons had some in dark souls and I thought that was kinda neat. Where are the sheathes? How can you possibly hide that halberd?

I thought it was kind of silly in Dark Souls 1 that your sheathe only actually appeared when you had your weapon drawn, and vanished the moment you switched weapons. You know, when it would make the most sense to show it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

From the trailer: Bloodborne is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC

Isn't Sony responsible for PC games like Planetside 2 though or am I thinking of something else? Probably no xbox version but a PC version could be possible later if so.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got the Butcher's Knife from the Rotten's soul but it doesn't seem that great? I haven't tried it much yet but at +5 the damage is not much better than my Sun Sword, which weighs 19 kg less. It makes sense to go Raw on it because it only has E scaling in one stat, right?

Honest Thief posted:

drangelic armor for life

Whix posted:

The new king looks kinda evil

All I see are some filthy zombies. If you can't be bothered to use a human effigy for the ultimate fashion souls showoff shot, get out. :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

So uh, as I entered the tunnel to No Man's Wharf, I noticed something odd in the distance.... the tunnel was doing this:

Don't suppose anyone else has had a similar bug? Might be GeDoSaTo though, for all I know. It fixed itself after warping.

When I first got to Dragon Aerie all of the snow(?) and dragons were rhythmically flashing white and black like that. It was pretty good at destroying everything impressive about that area. It stopped when I restarted.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The game won't let me pick up the wanderer set from the Lost Bastille now. It's somehow a millimeter out of reach.

The mummies drop the set so you have to make sure not to kill them before they get entirely out of the cage.

Don't use Soul Appease as the cage is coming up or you could end up with the item in the back of the cage, denying it to yourself or a host who you may or may not be "helping." This has definitely never happened but it would be a good thing to not do.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Maybe he didn't fight the Smelter Demon and maybe he missed the ladder in the bull?

I dunno, that doesn't seem so tremendously shocking. If you go around the trap room to the right instead of the left, you see the door out to OIK before you see the ladder up.

I don't know how you'd get through the boiler without turning it off and not going through smelter demon though. I skipped smelter the first time I played through the game and got all the way to the Iron King door before turning back and finding the 2nd bonfire, but I have no idea how to skip both smelter and the boiler. Could you somehow jump to the middle platform after the boiler?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zedd posted:

What is a fun, weapon to use as Faith user?
The theme I'm going for is a very spiritual paladin/beefy cleric; say halfway between those two. So I want a weapon that looks good but isn't a big sword or giant axe/hammer. The starter mace for the cleric is excellent but I did maces in my previous run; I'm going with lightning infusion most likely.

I haven't used it personally but Lucerne would probably fit. If you're willing to use a hammer the Archdrake Mace looks awesome.

If lightning is important then there's the dragon something crescent axe and the Heide weapons.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 12, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If the last chest in the special event is a mimic that drops the barrel, I will pre-order the most expensive collector's edition of Bloodborne

I will also do this, and I have no PS4.

Fister Roboto posted:

You know I really wish Lucatiel was a summon for the final boss instead of Vengarl. It would be like having Solaire for fighting Gwyn.

But then again she'd probably just fall off the cliff or something.

I'm just disappointed it advertises him as Head of Vengarl but it's just the whole Vengarl. Really it should have been Sif and Manscorpion Tark, the two biggest summonable phantoms for the ultimate giant monster brawl.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Put everyone who has ever posted in the thread on your ignore list.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finally got a 911 in Undead Crypt. The invader was down in the bell pit ringing the bells so there were shades everywhere already. I went down to try to get the invader away so the host could run to safety. Then he used a Seed of a Tree of Giants while I was fighting the invader in the middle of all of them :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

This run from the bonfire to the Dragonrider is sort of a boring pain in the rear end. Should Dragonrider be the first boss I run into? I can kill the giant knights, but it seems like I'm way underpowered for it.

Have you killed all the enemies on the way to him at least once? There are 2 places where killing enemies will reveal a lever that makes his arena easier. After that you can run by all the enemies to go straight there.

Unfortunately it's pretty par for the course for any Souls game, since there's almost never a bonfire right outside a boss door so you get to enjoy having your time pointlessly wasted every single time you die on a boss you're having trouble with.

I think Forest of Fallen Giants is a much easier first area though so you should go there if you didn't get past Heide's Tower or the pit yet.