Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
That's a net positive at the end of the day, as it makes the Gyrm Great Hammer a pretty solid weapon. And the anvil-on-a-stick is objectively the best weapon design in the entire From Software lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

I just got the Executioner’s Chariot last night. Took me like an hour just to clear off the bridge and kill the invader, now this appears to be another gimmick fight? What’s the trick?

The main trick: run the gauntlet clockwise, using alcoves to dodge the chariot, until you reach a lever, on the left side, before the pit. Pull lever and wait. The rest should be self-explanatory.

More spoiler in case you are having other issues: The skeletons are summoned by 2 or 3 necromancers hidden in alcoves (the mobs that aren't skeletons basically), so if you kill these, the skellies will stop coming back. It's not required (Alluring Skulls work tremendously well to get rid of skellies), but it helps if you're not super quick about the whole thing.

As far as gimmick fights go, it's one of my favourites. I really dig the design.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

kynikos posted:

I'm doing my first play through of DS2 right now but haven't eaten any boss souls yet (just beat Flexile Sentry). Are there any I should hold onto to transform into items for a strength build? I'm currently using a mace with twin dragon greatshield.

If you intend to push strength to silly levels, keep the smelter soul, the UGS for it looks smashing. Plus (although spoilery) you can get a second one later in a different colour, and powerstancing those two together is awesome, with a unique explosion of colour particles when you smash some poor sod with them.

Also, the bow from Dragonrider's soul is fantastic. Best strength bow in game iirc.

But DS2 is great for that stuff anyhow: bonfire ascetics mean you can get more of any boss soul on-demand.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah I had bleed claws and they almost never procced that I saw, whereas I could see other players freak out at the poison claw buildup and run off to heal or run out the poison timer, and could definitely see it proc a lot more often than the bleed

Poison is very good in 2

Poison arrows are pretty much a cheat code.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SHISHKABOB posted:

I prefer crossbows cause you can one hand them.

Which inevitably leads to powerstanced dual Avelyn.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
That's a sexy half naked cestus build right there.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

NG+ just is just kicking my rear end. Every enemy is a damage sponge, and there as rear end in a top hat red phantom enemies all over the place. :negative:

I know right? It's great!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Washin Tong posted:

Unpopular opinion: DS2 just has way too many goddamn greatswords.

Well, of course, since any self-respecting player will wield one in each hand.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

axolotl farmer posted:

Going through Heide’s in NG+, and it’s brutal. Figured, if they hit like a truck, you hit like a tank.

So now I’m powerstancing a claymore and a zweihander. :getin:

My congratulations for embracing the True Path. I wouldn't say that powerstancing is the be-all and end-all of this game since it's a massive stamina drain, but there's very little in the entire series that is as satisfying as crashing a powerstanced UGS or Great Hammers L2 onto a foe. :worship:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Djeser posted:

Everyone agrees the co-op sections of the DLC are bullshit and not worth it.

They absolutely are bullshit, but it feels great to take them off the checklist at least once. Plus Blue Smelter provides the soul for the matching UGS, and powerstancing it with its sibling is brilliant, particularly as an alternate weapon set. Invade, parry with something else, then quick swap to the pair and hit that L2 for a colourful surprise. Also on the way to Lud and Zallen, you can find the Mirrah Hat and Ring of the Living.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

Wow they weren't kidding about Frigid outskirts.

More often known as Horsefuck Valley.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Gotta love Sir Weeabo's special animation when you beat him without taking a single hit.

Fume Knight, I'm a dirty cheater. To this day I still get confused and caught by his first phase, so I just equip Velstadt's helmet so that he goes straight into phase 2.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Invaders are red,
Sentinels are blue.
Nashandra is dead,
But she's still my waifu.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I like to think that the events of the Soulses are being presented to us as simulacra

I swear, if Ubisoft ends up acquiring the Souls franchise and retcon it into a Assassin Creed animus sequence, I'll hunt you down for having caused it with this post and I won't release you until you 100% every single ubi open world. :argh:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

lmao I've never played an AssCreed, what does simulacra mean in that game

In AC games, you don't actually play as the interesting historical character. You are some modern days secret society cult member reviving past events through the eyes of the interesting character via a magical VR machine. And the games love to remind you of that every time the historical plot gets interesting, by suddenly switching you to the modern day character which needs to take a break from the simulation.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Perhaps all video games are asscreed simulacra...

At least, they have the decency to not tell us!

I'm taking copious notes to forward on to my uncle who works at From

I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE! :psyduck:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pulcinella posted:

I also haven’t played DS2 before. Is there stuff I should know going in? I think there is something about how you have do boost a certain stat to get actual iframes on the roll?

Yes, it's called Agility: https://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Agility

Basically, it's a secondary stat (that you can see on your character sheet), calculated from your ADP (mostly) and ATN (a bit). Being a sorcerer, you will be investing in ATN, meaning that you'll have to invest a bit less in ADP to reach the same benefits. Check the link above, and you'll see how much Agility you need for how many iframes. Rule of thumb is that 99 Agility is a sweet spot in terms of investment/benefits.

Other things to know with DS2:
- striking walls doesn't reveal secret passages, you need to press a button (X I think?) to check them out.
- If you go down the sorcery road, I'd strongly recommend raising INT/FAI in tandem and going all out on magic. You'll get to play with sorceries, miracles, pyromancies, and the hilariously good hexes which scale on the smallest of the two stats. Some staves allow to cast sorceries/miracles/hexes, making for some handy quality of life (pyro will always require its own thing).
- bonfire ascetics are a consumable unique to DS2 which resets the area the bonfire is in, in the next NG cycle, and that includes the boss. This allows you to fight the same boss multiple times, get multiple copies of the soul, get extra souls that only drop from NG+ onwards... It's pretty cool and very very abuseable.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Charles Bukowski posted:

They all despawn when you actually want the black steel katana.

If you want to farm souls/drops, you just join the Covenant of Champions and nothing despawns.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

The "pro strat" with the Iron Keep run up to the Smelter Demon is to only lower the first side of the bridge, because then that caps out how many Alonne knights will heat seeker missile onto you in SotFS, but if you're playing it the first time you'd have no idea about this and doom yourself by doing what seems like the most sensible thing.

The real pro strat consists in not bothering with the bridge at all and jumping to the right when you enter the bridge room. It's a tight jump but you can make it to the little platform. You can then either jump down and make a straight run for the gate (it's inconsistent if you get caught though) or use a bow to clear up a few mobs before jumping down.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

goblin week posted:

The DLCs are fantastic but they're, ah... not caster friendly. :(

Meh, it's harder, but it's not the end of the world. Spells still have range and an endgame caster should be able to wield the moonlight greatsword (or respec for it, it's just 18 str/dex/int), infuse it with Enchanted and tear through stuff spellsword style. Or use a bow with poison arrows and pretend it's a ranged poison spell.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I kind of like Old Dragonslayer. Yeah there isn't much to it, but that carries the idea that it's a washed out relic of the past.

No Man's wharf, just like the Gutter, really shines (figuratively and literally) if you bother lighting up the sconces as you make your way through. Not that it's needed if you know your way through, but it's pretty.

As for measly casts, remember that spells will have more casts with higher attunement, and many spells have multiple copies available, which you can slot to double up on charges. The standard Dark Orb in particular has a ridiculous amount of casts mid-late game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
There's no build a soul vessel, the covenant of champions or a few bonfire ascetics can't fix.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

FireWorksWell posted:

One you unlock the Majula mansion, there's a vessel in the basement.

And it reappears with a bonfire ascetic, while also respawning the skeleton and adding another. Skeletons drop effigies iirc. This is not overall a great spot to burn ascetics, but if you really need a vessel asap, it's there.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I really like DS2's over the top mob aggro and ganking personally. 1v1ing brain-dead mobs gets old fast. At least with a tag-team, they have a (tiny) chance, it gives a point to weapon reach, and you get to enjoy your own sweeping horizontal attacks in all their glory. It helps keeping things fresh longer. And with the exception of Iron Keep and possibly Iron Passage/Horsefuck Valley, you can reliably run past everything should you wish to. Iron Keep is inconsistent though, even with the jump shortcut on the right over the lava, you still have a reasonable chance of getting interrupted at the fog gate, so you probably want to do a bit of bow clearing before jumping down.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

FireWorksWell posted:

Did they move the Ivory Flower item? Iirc, it was in Drangelic Castle in SotFS.

Pre-scholar, the keys just appeared in inventory, so Scholar introduced lore-fitting but unfortunate constraints as to when you can head into the DLCs. I wonder at how low a level one could theoretically beeline Sir Weeabo to do the rest of the game with his magnificent sword.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

You'd need the Ashen Mist heart to enter the Memory of the Old Iron King to access Alonne, so you'd need to be most of the way through the base game. You could rush to that DLC down at the Iron Keep primal bonfire right after you get the heart and before any other DLCs, but you'll also need to clear most of it out, and beat the Fume Knight before you can interact with the armor.

Ah, of course. Guess there's no way around cheat engine and NG+.

:lmao:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pulcinella posted:

Also went back and rescued Ornifex. It’s nice to finally understand some of the references in Happy Souls, though it shows just how long this game is realizing how much they skipped and the video is still 15 minutes.

"Right down the road!" :lmao:

Happy Souls is one of the best two videos about Dark Souls ever. The other being Dark Souls: In Summary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_koRZ2bA

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

poo poo that would've been a way better name. welp

Made a second one cuz I realized I've never gotten to try the Vanquisher's Seal before

Funky, I'm going fists too. I'll be Muhammad Aldi for the event.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Dyz posted:

Is powerstancing UGS/GS just a meme or is it effective?

Why not both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IiQ1H4kxNQ

Always be suspicious when a naked invader fat rolls.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Did some jolly coop with Muhammad Aldi and his dual cestus. Vanquisher ring is going to be too much effort for the event I think, maybe I'll grind it afterwards for NG+. I do look stylish if I may say so but boy does the damage suck. Got a cestus to +5, the other to +3, and STR at 30, but ugh, what a change of pace from UGS or overpowered rapiers. I'm going to suck even more than usual when I get invaded.

Anyhow, it's pretty cool to see that many signs all around.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Ah, indeed, I'll go back for it and see the difference, thanks. I skipped the early ogre because I didn't fancy it on unleveled fists, and well, I just forgot after that. Usually I grab that ring straight away...

And yeah, that powerstanced fists L1 is neat. The L2 is showoffy but meh, it's painfully slow.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
TIL you need at least 3 in intelligence for Straid to speak to you. With my 1, he was even less impressed than usual...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Got Sinner and OIK down, collected Chloranty +1 and Blades +1 rings (that Pursuer fight on fists was a bit tedious!), and I think with the various jolly coop I have enough to open the Shrine, so I guess I'll push to Drangleic Castle to get the frozen flower and see if I'm able to rush Flynn's Ring in the Sunken King DLC. That would help my DPS a lot.

I also used an ascetic at Sinner to get my hands on Flame Weapon and help with that ridiculously bad DPS, but NG+ Sinner is a tough cookie for my build with those pyro adds. No summon signs around when I tried a few times last night, I might have to wait that one out a bit more. Or maybe I can cheese that with NPC summons and poison arrows, hmmmm...

edit: silly me, Sunken King just requires the key from the Gulch, I got confused...

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 20, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Yay, build as good as complete. Managed to cheese NG+ Sinner with a heavy shield in the left hand and a lot of patience, since the mid-fight pyros take 3 punches to go down, and getting greedy is a good recipe for dying. That's the Flame Weapon pyro crafted now, for on demand extra damage.

And Flynn's ring was also finally acquired, with patience also as Shulva has some nasty gauntlets while also requiring some precision shooting to trigger poles/plates and I just can't do that while 4 mobs are breathing down my neck. But it's done, so I'll head out to the Castle now. Might ascetic the bonfire and try my hand at the Ring of Blades +2, that's the last bit I could upgrade basically. Then there's the Vanquisher's Seal but I can't be bothered farming it right now, so...

Also beat up my first duelist in the covenant of blood. For some reason, I got paired with someone even more useless than me at souls pvp lol. 'tis a miracle and I don't expect it to happen a gain for a long while!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

Flame Weapon is kind of a crappy buff, burning an ascetic on Lost Sinner just to unlock that really isn't worth the hassle imo.

Ah well, I just like the free on-demand little extra and pushing ATN to 10 for the slot also pushed agility a little bit. And it was kind of fun to explore how I could deal with Sinner NG+ on a not-particularly-great build, so no regrets. Last time I did her on ascetic was on a hex build so it was hilariously easy by comparison.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

some enemies are just fundamentally not designed to be punched

Indeed. Like crystal lizards... :argh:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Welp. The exploit put a damper on the event, and I finished the base game offline. Still have DLC to go through for funzies but I'll ascetic the castle to go and grab that +2 RoB first.

My personal verdict on punching stuff: excellent fun, but pretty unequal. At some points in the run it felt weaksauce, but many times (and most of the times against mobs), it felt great. The damage does hold up pretty well after all, and the constant poise breaks make killing mobs even more braindead since you can just spam punches, no dodge required.

Special credits to the most aggravating anti-punch foes though: crystal lizards, Velstadt and Vendrick. These can go *"%^ themselves, really, with the awful animation/hitbox combination.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
For a caster, I like Enchanted on the MLGS. It doesn't scale up as hilariously as Magic, but it turns it into still hefty *physical* damage, which is handy for anything with magic resistances, i.e. DLC bosses.

Obviously, the ultimate solution is to bonfire ascetic Freja once more and make two MLGS, one for base game, one for DLC.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

uncle blog posted:

Anybody else having trouble playing the game online, on console? I thought only PC was affect by the security flaw. I'm on Xbox Series X. Offline is not the same, especially now that I'm bumbling around in the Pharros caves wondering where to put my drat stones.

If you're looking for the exit, Doors of Pharros is pretty much 100% optional. When you enter the area, if you go up the ramp left then right into the round room (where Gavlan will be if you talked to him in Wharf and Harvest Valley), you can just climb the stairs and follow the path, it goes straight to the next area, with only one or two mobs on the way.

There are items and a (lovely optional) boss in Doors of Pharros, but you really don't need to bother if you're just trying to beat the game. And it's pretty easy to waste your lockstones if you go in blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

MLGS is 18/18 STR/DEX, that unlocks alot of physical weapons. Even without any physical scaling, you can do more than enough damage with a +10 mace or +10 rapier or +10 longsword against new game DLC enemies.

I know because I've been doing a whole bunch of SM restricted runs through the DLC, and I'm currently on an SL1 run.

Fair enough. But my sexy witch won't be caught dead wielding a vulgar mace when she can show off that glammed up MLGS.