Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

https://twitter.com/ForAllGreerkind/status/1487218851624501249

It's ok to admit most people didn't like the show. It doesn't mean they are anti-Avril Lavigne and Blink 182 to say they had a bad show.
"This rock critic saying the new Warped Tour wasn't very good is just like the rock critics who turned up their nose at the original Warped Tour and also poo poo all over the Clash, except this rock critic also covered music back then and is on record as enjoying the Clash and the original Warped Tour, but it's clear he just fears and hates punk rock."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Venomous posted:

Rey Mysterio's only WWE title reign lasted iirc one hundred and six minutes

truly a great champion
If we expand "title reign" to all of the myriad "world titles" WWE has cycled in and out in the past twenty years, he had three:

#1 2006 ("World Heavyweight Championsip") - 112 days, the one everyone complains about the most
- Rey has a #1 contendership match against Mark Henry an loses. Mark Henry easily beats him in their rematch.
- Rey wins the Royal Rumble, dedicating it to the late Eddie Guerrero
- Rey puts up his Wrestlemania title shot on the line in a match against Randy Orton and loses
- He gets inserted into the WM title match as a result of losing singles matches to Finlay and world champion Kurt Angle
- Rey wins the title in a three-way where he finally pins (the other challenger) Randy Orton to win the belt
- Rey beats Randy Orton in a rematch, and then spends the next month losing clean/having non-contest matches against Kurt Angle, Mark Henry, Kane, and the Great Khali to build up to his successful defense against JBL
- After his first successful title defense, he loses/no-contests against Kurt Angle again, Finlay again, RVD, Sabu, and Mark Henry again, but gets non-title wins over Gregory Helms and William Regal
- He loses the belt to King Booker and enters into a forever-feud with Chavo Guerrero

#2 2010 ("World Heavyweight Champion") - 28 days, the one I think most people forget
- Rey wins a fatal four-way against champion Jack Swagger, Big Show, and CM Punk when Kane comes out to try to put CM Punk into a casket because he thinks Punk put Undertaker into a coma and Rey capitalizes on the distraction
- Rey's first and only title defense is a rematch against Jack Swagger, which he wins but gets beat up by Swagger afterwards. Kane comes down to beat up Swagger, drags Swagger to the back, then returns to the ring and cashes in on Rey
- This was then revealed to be part of Kane's long con plan to put his brother Undertaker into a coma and then beat everyone up accusing them of doing it until he was able to win the MITB contract and cash it in, then reveal his cunning ruse

#3 2011 ("WWE Champion") - around two hours, the other one everyone complains about
- Rey wins a tournament to crown the new WWE champion after CM Punk "walks out". Immediately upon winning it, John Cena asks for a title match later that episode of Raw, which Cena wins cleanly

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Now I’m wondering what Scotsman and CRZ are up to these days. I will not look into this further.
They both seem fine and do not seem to be writing anything about wrestling, though CRZ will still tweet/retweet about it from time to time.

Mr. Tito retired from phat wrestling commentary on 12/31/2021, so that was the end of an era. It was also probably on-message with this thread, since his last column was a prediction/prediction recap column that boiled down to "I've been saying that CM Punk will return to wrestling every year since 2017 and well... TOLDJA, MY PREDICTION CAME TRUE. I also predicted either ROH or Impact would go out of business every year for the past six years and while I hate to see it, my powers of prediction struck again! Now, for the third straight year I am going to predict that one of the core Elite members will leave AEW, I know I whiffed this one before but I have a good feeling about 2022..."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I went ahead and looked up the greatest series of title defenses ever by Roman Reigns
1. Beats Jay Uso after Jimmy Uso throws in the towel
2. Beats Braun Strowman mostly clean
3. Beats Jimmy Uso in an "I Quit" match after Jey Uso says "I quit" on behalf of his brother
4. Beats Kevin Owens in a ladder match after copious interference from Jey Uso
5. Beats Kevin Owens in a Last Man Standing Match after not being able to get handcuffs off and technically losing but then doing a bunch of lowblows to Owens and the ref and etc.
6. Beats an exhausted Daniel Bryan who can barely stand after an Elimination Chamber contender's match
7. Beats Daniel Bryan after a bunch of bullshit that culiminated with Edge beating the poo poo out of Bryan with a chair and allowing Roman to win
8. Beats Daniel Bryan AND Edge after you guessed it, copious Jey Uso interference
9. Beats Daniel Bryan for the fourth time, this time cleanly in his last match for WWE
10. Beats Cesaro cleanly in the last match Cesaro should have had for WWE
11. Beats Rey Mysterio cleanly in a Hell in a Cell match on Smackdown
12. Beats Edge when Seth Rollins attacks Edge
13. Beats John Cena cleanly in probably his last match in WWE
14. Beats Finn Balor by kicking him in the nuts and then choking him unconscious
15. Beats THE DEMON Finn Balor when God makes the top turnbuckle break
16. Beats Brock Lesnar in Saudi Arabia when both Usos interfered and Roman hit Brock with the title
17. Beat Sami Zayn in fifteen seconds because gently caress Sami Zayn, gently caress you
18. Lost to Seth Rollins by DQ

Pure excellence, the fightingest champion

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I don't know the exact timeline of anything you're referencing and Bret is clearly either ignorant or obscuring some stuff, but wasn't the sticking point pre-Network that Bret and WWE wanted to put out an Owen DVD, which I believe they couldn't (or wouldn't) do without the estate's permission?

I realize that is an incredibly outdated concern in 2022 and even 2014, but I thought that was book-era Bret's claim. Was it even valid back then?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MassRafTer posted:

Can't believe the wokes make cuckold jokes, don't they know cuckolds hate humiliation?

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1506934302923116549
I think there's something to the Austin Aries stuff because there are about 500 things worth making GBS threads on him for other than "is short" and the number of people who trip over themselves to pull out some 1960s joke book slams against short people get tiring. I know "it's funny because it obviously upsets him!" gets trotted out but that always feels weak to me.

The Jim Cornette hot tub stuff feels like fair game to me. "lol you're short" ends up hitting lots of people with friendly fire, "lol you used your power as booker to try to make trainees gently caress your wife in a hot tub" catches a lot less people.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Sega 32X posted:

Madcap Moss is 2 years older than AEW champ Adam Page and has been working with the WWE for more than 8 years, which coincidentally is how much older he is than Jungle Boy

"Young" stars

Edit: he's the same age as Nick Jackson, lol
Madcap Moss is on the younger end of Main Roster Guys you can imagine Vince pushing past the midcard (the people younger than him are Austin Theory, Dominik Mysterio, Mansoor, Humberto, Omos, Butch, Reggie, Angel, Montez Ford, Angelo Dawkins, and MACE)

Meanwhile the only people younger than Madcap in AEW are Top Flight, Hook, Daniel Garcia, Jungle Boy, Private Party, Lee Johnson, Varsity Blonds, Alan Angels, Fuego del Sol, Sammy Guevara, MJF, Sonny Kiss, Lee Moriarty, Kip Sabian, Darby Allin, Adam Page, John Silver, Santana & Ortiz, Danhausen, the rear end Boys, Swerve, Rey Fenix, Powerhouse Hobbs, Ricky Starks, the Acclaimed, Andrade, and a few other lower card guys.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Worth noting that if they were still numbering Wrestlemanias, the one next weekend would be 37.
38, actually.

History Comes Inside! posted:

What’s a black news channel?
A cable network launched in 2020 that Shad Khan put money into, and now apparently does not want to put any more money into.

One of the big differences between the XFL and The Black News Network is that Vince McMahon was both the owner and chief executive/spokesperson for the XFL while simultaneously being the primary owner/chief executive for the WWE.

Shad Khan invested $50M into a company, does not appear to have any day-to-day involvement with the Black News Channel. He actually doesn't seem to have any day-to-day involvement with AEW either, but it' the same thing I guess.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

Literally two nights later, WWE wheels him out in a Codybox and makes him look like an rear end. Two nights!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I was just thinking that myself as well, they literally made him look like more of a doofus on Monday night than he ever did in AEW
Check the time of that tweet, Alfred posted that after his opening Raw segment, not after his Wrestlemania debut. He's praising the Codybox/Monday night segment.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Smackdown last night was in Albany, NY. Albany is like 150 miles away from the main Elite Virus infection of NYC, though it's also within a couple hundred miles of Boston, Rochester, and Bridgeport so it's possible the entire east coast has been infected with a pathogen that makes them not excited for back to back countout finishes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Kosmo Gallion posted:

This guy's profile picture always makes me lol. You can just tell he's got no trousers on.
The official anthem of BET Uncut Ringside News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZT9wvL_Px4

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Them were a rock group formed in Belfast, Northern Ireland, in April 1964, most prominently known for the rock standard "Gloria" and launching singer Van Morrison's musical career. The original five-member band consisted of Morrison, Alan Henderson, Ronnie Milling, Billy Harrison and Eric Wrixon.

There, that's five!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Eddie Guerrero storyline he is referring to is when the ad hoc team of Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero win the tag titles off of the Basham Brothers at the PPV before Wrestlemania. Chavo Guerrero as the devil on Eddie's shoulder convinces him to have a friendly exhibition match with Rey at WM in order to show how great both men are.

Eddie and Rey have the opening match where Eddie is increasingly frustrated at being bested by Rey and is ultimately pinned, but puts on a show of camraderie. A few weeks later they lose the tag titles to MNM which leads Eddie to violently turn on Rey, and they have a series of big matches and telenovela style drama that runs through the summer and culminates in the legendary Dominik Mysterio Custody Ladder Match.

Sasha's storyline is "don't drop the tag titles, be a filler world title challenger on a filler PPV and then I don't know, maybe we'll find challengers for the tag belts".

What I'm saying is that either Sasha or Naomi needs to claim they fathered the other's hypothetical child. Maybe that child is the oft-teased SCRAPP METALL character that WWE keeps trademarking?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Keith Jackewicz was briefly the perfect Meltzer Twitter foil: he spoiled it by getting ONE SINGLE FOLLOWER, but he still does not actually follow anyone himself.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lid posted:

Enzo Amore topping Charlotte is horrifying.
Rookie of the Year stuff is always weird in hindsight but both Enzo and Charlotte had a minimal number of "televised" wrestling matches by the end of 2013 (8 for Enzo, 5 for Charlotte) and neither had wrestled outside of Florida. NXT was not on the WWE Network yet because the WWE Network did not exist until 2014, though I think it was streaming on WWE.com? Outside of people living in Florida/working in WWE, you'd probably be basing those votes on "Charlotte is Ric Flair's daughter" and "Enzo cut a funny promo that was on YouTube"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Benne posted:

NXT was on Hulu at the time and definitely had its dedicated viewers
Oh weird, I knew the No Longer a Competition Show NXT aired on Hulu but for some reason I thought the first several months of Developmental NXT was like WWE.com exclusive/hidden until the Network launched/they did the Arrival Premium Live Event. I watched neither, though I also am not an Observer voter.

Based on the rules of the awards "Rookie of the Year is open to only pro wrestlers making a major promotion professional debut" which can do a lot of work in both good and bad faith, but definitely includes NXT and more prominent indies.

NXT wrestlers who got more first place votes than Enzo in subsequent years:
Alexa Bliss (55 in 2014)
Chad Gable (539 in 2015, winner)
Dana Brooke (51 in 2015)

From 2017 on it's a Category B award so everyone only votes for one person, plus NXT turned into Indie Star central for a long time, so the only high ranking NXT ROTYs of recent vintage are Bianca Belair (112 votes, third behind Kitamura and Microman) and Pat McAffee (won in 2020). Nick Wayne placed fourth last year, who knows if he'll get votes again this year. The whole thing is pretty loosey-goosey, Marko Stunt placed in both 2018 and 2019, Matt Riddle won in 2016 after placing in 2015, etc.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 14, 2022

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Oh the Takeshita suggestion is absolutely dumb as poo poo, I was more commenting on Enzo getting votes nine years ago/"minor league" wrestlers getting nominations/the general weirdness of the category.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Kenny Omega held the AEW World Title for 346 days, with seven defenses. (one every 49 days)
He also in that 346 days had 34 matches, 15 of which were singles matches (either non-title or for the other belts he held).

Roman Reigns has held the WWE title for 108 days and counting with one defense. (one every 108 days)
He also in that 108 days had two televised matches, the non-defense being a tag match.

He defended the Universal title more regularly in the 684 days he's held that, but no one was making comments about that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

If we're crediting Rey for lucha coming to the united states I think Konnan would be in that conversation too.
Meltzer has repeatedly said that Rey Mysterio is the #1 influence on the current generation of wrestlers, from the Hardys to the Young Bucks to Danielson to even younger folks, plus the chain of all of those people being given a chance to be top level stars despite being neither tall nor jacked can be traced to Rey getting over big in WCW and later WWE.

His take is that while Ronda and Rey may not be as big or enduring as some other wrestlers (honestly arguable in Rey's case), them existing/getting over opened the industry up to an entirely new set of people being treated as potential main eventers, and that's why they're on the list. To use a suspect/inexact metaphor, Jackie Robinson was not the greatest player in the major leagues during his career, he wasn't even the greatest black player within a few years, but he opened the door to Willie Mays and Hank Aaron and Bob Gibson and Tony Gwynn and Frank Thomas and Nugenix and etc. etc. etc.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 30, 2022

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

Punk's importance is that he proved wrestlers didn't need WWE, but I'm not sure you can say he proved that better than some other people (Cody). Depends on how you weigh "proved he didn't need WWE and then did not a lot for a few years" vs. "proved he didn't need WWE and created AEW within a few years"
Using that metric of "proved he didn't need WWE (or wrestling in general)", I'd say that was proven by Jesse Ventura, the Rock, and Brock Lesnar (for his first UFC run and a slightly longer gap before coming back to wrestling) better than Punk.

His biggest 'influence' for good or ill was being arguably the first of the 21st century Indie Superstars to sign with WWE, and definitely the first "made their name in the indies" guy to be pushed to the top of the WWE card. You could argue that WWE would have never given Bryan, Steen, Generico, AJ, Moxley, or 80% of the NXT champion lineage a shot were it not for Punk.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's crazy on a bunch of levels, but putting aside anything else:

There is only one promotion that pretends the internet doesn't exist, and it's WWE. Mance Warner is showing up on Rampage on Friday, and like pretty much every other wrestler who has shown up on AEW television, they acknowledged specific companies that he's wrestled in under the name Mance Warner. They showed a clip of him wrestling in another promotion. During his matches on Elevation and Rampage they will almost certainly mention his affiliation with the Second Gear Crew, they might mention his titles held in GCW and CZW, etc. If anything, they're at fault often for expecting everyone to just hop on the Internet and read up on their new/guest talent.

If in some bizarro universe WWE decided to bring in Mance Warner to run a match or program with Seth Rollins they'd change his name and if they deign to acknowledge he'd ever wrestled they'd refer to it in the vaguest of terms, maybe try to pretend he's a small town Texas Sherriff who decided to get into sports entertainment. They'd basically try to kayfabe his name, his background, his hometown, etc. etc. etc. even though the Internet exists and within minutes of debuting googling "Cletus Tenderfoot WWE" anyone would be able to find out his entire actual history.

Which loops back to the "well I assume Takeshita is just desperately taking every podunk indie date he can so he can afford to fly back to Japan" take: they know who Takeshita is because they've read that he's been jobbing on AEW TV, but no one really watches AEW, and if AEW cared about him they'd never let him take bookings at tiny indies with no TV that no one has ever heard of like BLP or Defy or Terminus or PWG or West Coast Pro or DPW or whatever, and those companies don't have TV so they're definitionally podunk indies, probably a dozen people in the crowds.

The Internet only barely exists in the WWE Universe.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 4, 2022

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Hit Row had exactly one match on the main roster, squashing two jobbers in 80 seconds on the October 22, 2021 episode of Smackdown. They had a few promos before or after that, I think.

That's their entire main roster experience. John Silver, Kris Statlander, Matt Jackson, and various AEW stars who have only done jobber squash matches have had more in-ring main roster time than Hit Row.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

lol who is the bear in this analogy? AEW? NXT? USA network? NXT fans? AEW fans? His own bad booking?
Also isn't aphoristically poking a bear something that is a bad idea that will end badly for the bear-poker?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

RE: Yakub/NOI/Farrakhan/Five Percenters/Black Israelites/etc. etc. I wonder how much of it is regional/generational as anything, I feel like everyone who lived in the NYC area in the 1980s-2000s were aware of it because they were all over the place and in the local news, and [most of] their profile/influence outside of the area was people digging into Public Enemey or Wu-Tang or Rakim or Soul Coughing lyrics.

Desus & Mero absolutely re-popularized it to a broader audience recently, and aside from "from or at least living in/identifying with Los Angeles" I don't know enough about Nastyism to know where he picked it up, but I'm willing to believe from ironic hotep jokes on Twitter. That's presumably where he picked up his phrenology jones too.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

https://twitter.com/VineeshhhhN/status/1457026553251078148

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

on the scale of WWE Debuts, Athena never got out of NXT and Ruby spent years on the losing end of 2-minute tag team squashes

Saraya had a movie made about her life produced by The Rock.
Athena got drafted to Raw back in 2018! And then did remarkably little for a year before blowing out her knee chasing someone for the 24/7 title.

Then when she came back, they stuck her back on NXT. But she did get out!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Imagine having a job entertaining for a successful entertainment company and people tell you that you suck poo poo and are bad at your job and you should be fired. Your boss who runs the successful entertainment company says "I thought you did a good job, keep it up!" and you take that opinion to heart over someone with a Fat Chris Jericho avatar telling you to kill yourself.

Sounds innocent enough, right? Now what if you were actually a cruel prison guard who tortures folks! Not so innocent now!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MassRafTer posted:

What if I told you the story is even sadder than you realized?

Here is he MSG show Mike Mondo main evented:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=7940
Also Mike Mondo was born in 1983, he might be mixing up Kenny (who was 21 at the time but they kept calling 20) with Mikey (a decrepit 23 years old for most of the Spirit Squad's run).

Finally, Mikey really did main event three Raws and a PPV in 2006, but they were in Wembley Arena, Arrowhead Pond, Thomas & Mack Center, and Charlotte Bobcats Arena respectively. They were all handicap matches against Shawn Michaels and/or Triple H and they lost most of them, but still!

I'm starting to get the impression this guy does not really know that much about the illustrious career of Mike "Mikey" Mondo,

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's worth remembering with Forbidden Door that for that show specifically:

1. CM Punk got injured, nixing the planned CM Punk vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi match
2. Bryan Danielson got injured, nixing the planned Danielson vs Zack Sabre Jr. match
3. Kyle O'Reilly got injured, messing up the build for a mixed-company tag featuring Darby/Sting vs. O'Reilly/Fish for the AEW side
4. Tomohiro Ishii got injured, taking him out of the All-Atlantic Championship four-way
5. Andrade, Penta, and Fenix were pulled from the show to placate CMLL.
6. MJF was not involved because of whatever work or shoot issues led to him taking the summer off.
7. Kenny Omega was out (long term) with an injury when the show took place. So was Kota Ibushi on the NJPW side.

This led to a ton of reshuffling, and it was a last minute thing that led to Okada being available/booked on the show, and Naito never was, possibly because of the CMLL/AAA beef leading to no Andrade.

There are always injuries and scheduling conflicts when booking a show, but this particular one had a group of missing people you could easily build an entire major PPV around while it's obviously a bit of a cheat using two whole promotions worth of people, it does show the value of a deep roster that on paper is too big to be properly utilized.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The other thing that is confusing about this entire take is that it's the Elite's entrance theme and the Young Bucks were trying to trademark Wayward Sons for their merch/possibly a trios name so like... why would this be about CM Punk?

If Parker Boudreaux changed his ring name to The Creep and he started coming out to Radiohead's Creep would people interpret this as a veiled dig at Triple H for being a creep and firing him?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

[MJF comes out to Sympathy for the Devil at All Out]

"Please allow me to introduce myself, I demand some wealth and taste"... he's throwing wild subs at Allie Katch, calling his ex a devil!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MassRafTer posted:

The Wrestling Gimmick Trademark Lawyer seems nice, he trademarks stuff for people in the AEWverse which was one of the signs Sasha might be AEW bound as she used him.
For more information/context his name is Michael Dockins and he's done trademark work for a shitload of wrestlers, including a lot of AEWverse people, but also Mick Foley, Road Dogg, Billie Starkz, Tito Santana, The IInspiration, Bray Wyatt, Mojo Rawley, Goldberg, Big Swole, MORDECAI, GCW, CYN, JCP, Mia Yim, Mance Warner, Rockstar Spud, Jordynne Grace, Ashley Flair, Missy Hyatt, Matt Cardona, Sam Roberts, Barry Darsow, WALTER, Harley Race['s family] and several members of the Psychopathic Records family.

I realize that many of these people can be considered part of the AEW Extended Universe, but at this point Dockins is basically the Trademark Lawyer for everyone in wrestling who isn't in WWE (and a few that are)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I did the heavy emotional labor of googling "tony khan" "all atlantic championship" and

From June 14

quote:

it's a heavy emphasis on international competition, but the US can get involved in the competition. And I think it's a great way to spotlight a lot of the international wrestlers in AEW, and the international presence that AEW's developed over the years now with our shows on in 130 countries around the world and great ratings in so many huge international markets, including every week finishing as the number one wrestling company in the UK and our ratings there continue to rise.

"...So for the international fans and for the international wrestlers on the roster, I felt like it would create more opportunities. But I also don't think this title or these opportunities are exclusive to the international wrestlers. But it's a big benefit of the term," he later added.

And from July 2

quote:

“I think a lot of the defenses will take place on either side of the Atlantic, but a lot of wrestlers will come from all over the world to challenge for the All-Atlantic title, and the champion PAC is from England himself. He’s hugely popular in England, and a lot of people don’t know AEW has grown in popularity in Europe. Particularly in England, we’re the number one wrestling company on TV by far. Every week, we have the top two TV shows with Dynamite and Rampage. PAC, of course, is one of the most popular wrestlers in England, and it’s great to have a hometown star who can go there and defend the title. And even though AEW is touring America every week, I believe PAC can defend the title overseas and here in America, and hopefully have some great matches as long as he’s the champion.”

So the things Tony Khan said were that the All-Atlantic Championship would spotlight international wrestlers, but also American wrestlers. And that it would be defended "on either side of the Atlantic."

Thus far there have been fifteen All-Atlantic Championship matches, which have taken place in the United States, Canada, Ireland, and England. Orange Cassidy (the first and to date only American champion) has defended the belt against Americans, but also Japanese, Mexican, and British wrestlers.

All of this is in line with statements Tony Khan made back in the summer, if you do not interpret them as saying more than they did.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Right but on the main roster in WWE they had classic feuds with

Lucha House Party (sixteen matches)
Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins (thirteen matches)
Gallows & Anderson (thirteen matches)
New Day (twelve matches)
The B-Team (twelve matches)
Usos (eleven matches)
Heavy Machinery (ten matches)

Who doesn't want to see them run back FTR vs. The OC Round 14 on Extreme Rules Kickoff? That's how you build a legacy in this business.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lid posted:

Rey also had the worst title run in history where he was pinned clean by The Great Khali and just treated as a joke. Even Jinder Mahal actually won.
I don't think that this can be overstated, Rey Mysterio's first world title run:

- Loses Battle Royal for vacant title
- Loses #1 Contender's match to Mark Henry
- Loses a second match to Mark Henry
- Wins Royal Rumble for a chance at the WWE title!
- Loses match at Wrestlemania to Randy Orton
- Loses non-title match to champion Kurt Angle
- Wins the title in a three-way at Wrestlemania!
- Beats Randy Orton in a title defense
- No contest in a title defense against Kurt Angle when Mark Henry beats the champ up
- Loses non-title match to Mark Henry clean
- Loses non-title match to the Great Khali clean
- No contest in a non-title match when Kane goes May 19 crazy and kills him before the bell
- Beats JBL mostly clean in a title defense
- Beats JBL in a rematch when Chavo interferes on the champion's behalf with low blows and chairshots
- Loses non-title match by count-out when Kurt Angle suplexes him so hard outside of the ring he can't get up
- Loses to Finlay in a non-title match when Sabu interferes
- Loses to Rob Van Dam clean in a non-title match
- No contest in a non-title match against Sabu when both men go through a table
- Beats Gregory Helms (cruiserweight champion) in a world title match clean
- Beats Mark Henry via DQ in a title match when Chavo runs in and does the chair fakeout gimmick while Rey is out
- Beats William Regal clean in a non-title match
- Beats King Booker in a non-title match when Chavo trips Booker as he's winning
- Loses title to King Booker when Chavo turns on Rey

He lost more than he won, most of the time when he won it was because Chavo Guerrero was cheating on his behalf, and he lost when Chavo stopped cheating for him.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

rotinaj posted:

I want to see la knight have to do the charlie brown from outta town gimmick but call himself “la knight” and just wear a lucha mask and change literally nothing else
British Gear is right there for his alter ego

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think an angle a lot of people are overlooking is that yes, Bryan Danielson is a hometown hero who will get a hero's welcome in Washington. He's also gotten to wrestle in the Tacoma Dome and Key/Climate Pledge Arena. He even retired there.

As mentioned, Darby Allin and Swerve Strickland are also both from Washington and regulars at Defy, which has attendance top out around 1,000. This is going to be the biggest 'hometown' show either of them have ever had by several orders of magnitude. Assuming Danielson requested this match and not a long main event on this Dynamite, I can see why he'd want to take a relative backseat to the two of them.

Even going back to the Bucks main eventing that Rampage, that was also their first "arena" show in Southern California (they'd done some big-ish NJPW shows in California, but most of those were Bay Area shows). Also as mentioned Bryan is way less selfish than 99% of wrestlers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think a lot of this person's timeline falls under "don't mock the mentally ill" but their most recent tweet is something

https://twitter.com/MRBAMBINO3000/status/1617839455133642753

Warning, if you click through it's a lot of pondering about various wrestlers' 'coitus' stylings, and him bragging about being a 20 rear veteran of the industry

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Drakkel posted:

That's true but this would be like if those people would then get on the internet and declare that it should JUST be the commercials cause the mythical Casual Fan doesn't give a poo poo about football or some poo poo.
"There are a WHOLE LOT of high schools and colleges that could learn a thing or two from this telecast, if they simply got Rihanna to perform at half time and exclusive Quantumania trailers to show maybe you'd draw more people to your lovely little Bowl games, NCAA!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Drakkel posted:

The Main Event scene of the #3 and #4 companies in the US....Jesus
I admit that MJF and Claudio don't have the iconic Emmy winning performances of Roman Reigns and Bronn Brreakkerr but it's not fair to compare them to Tyrus.