Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JOHN CENA posted:

barbi hayden is a flat earther and thinks bill gates is using vaccines to inject trackers in everyone.

No don't you get it she has worked in countries that are communist so she knows exactly what communism is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

It's not enough to have some kind of shame when the widow calls you out for reporting false poo poo, you have to respond to her like an rear end in a top hat. The gently caress is wrong with these people?

A large part of wrestling journalism, really any fandom journalism, is essentially fan non-fiction. (Except sometimes it's also fiction because they're not so good at the little things like 'research' or 'citing evidence' or 'gathering quotes.')

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Serious wrestler Hyper Misao had a match the other day where she and her opponent, the littlest kaiju Shoko Nakajima, hit each other with Godzilla toys from gacha machines because wrestling Japan is serious, you see.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

83 Weeks? The podcast that quickly devolves into Bish going "Yeah, I don't remember?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pylons posted:

The lovely (wrong) answer people usually give is "middle fingers stone cold knockoff" which is such a surface level comparison.

I’ve also heard second rate Piper impression.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brian called out the AEW's women division as number ten of the low points of 2020 and naturally:
https://twitter.com/zmanbrianzane/status/1351903507486449667

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

I almost posted this. Nice to know Brian isn't a shithead.

Yeah, he gets a ton of 'why are you talking about politics stick to being funny wrestling mans like osw' and related. He's even more vocal on Twitter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

His series on lovely DVD bargain bin promotions was fun.

Having fallen for the Grand Masters of Wrestling trap myself, I greatly appreciated those especially. The Heroes of Wrestling one is really good too, although soured by the presence of Adam Blampied.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Never heard of him but there is a very strong "No, it's the children who are wrong" energy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seams posted:

Mick Foley by himself had three different gimmicks that are better than the Undetaker, four if you count “Mick Foley” as a gimmick. The Mankind sit-down with JR is better character work than anything Taker did in any of his various iterations. Undertaker’s most famous promo is that cringe one about driving to the desert with Big Show.

The more he said something other than ‘rest in peace’ the more people should have known he still really needed a manager.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Can’t wait to tell all my coworkers they will finally have a chance to see what The Fiend is all about

I like the idea it will suddenly spark an interest in older stuff. "Wow! Did you see Tommy Rich and Buzz Sawyer in a cage? Wild!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ItohRespectArmy posted:

https://twitter.com/familyfooddude/status/1354073411614601216

watching nia jax injure numerous opponents and going "ah yes, bull nakano reborn"

Yeah. A couple of folks on my TIL see the clip and were like 'what's wrong with Nia Jax again?' and the answer is 'aside from being very unsafe she's at least falling QAnon "talking points" so... do I need to go on?'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The 'how can you run down Jax but not joshi!?' sure is ramping up. I've been watching a lot of TJPW and Stardom recently and some stuff is stiff like it is anywhere, and sometimes somebody makes a mistake especially in TJPW where they're all younger workers, but I don't recall anything like this and if it's out there, by all means let me know.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OctoberCountry posted:

Is he the OSW guy that loves Triple H?

V1 is the most... eh, old school I guess of the three. He likes psychology and the older style of working more than the other two. OOC is a big fan of spotfests and Jay kind of rides the line between them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

No less than D-Von and JR have added their voices to the 'wrestlers today aren't tough enough' chorus. Now I imagine JR going backstage at AEW and grimly musing on how nobody is coked up and fighting in bars. He kisses the small picture of Dr. Death he keeps around his neck and sheds a single tear.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah I never understood that argument. It has nothing to do with ability anyway but most wrestlers today look like they live in the gym and most wrestlers from the 80s look like the stereotypical dad that falls asleep in front of the TV in their la z boy.

That said I do miss stuff like Earthquake giving us the gun show when he'd do a power move.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nice to see the TNA Mecca forum living on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vagabundo posted:

When they had Harley Race, didn't they pretty much keep him chained to the midcard as well?

Yeah. His big thing was a feud with the Junkyard Dog. JYD being somebody else the WWF mismanaged.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rarity posted:

His name is all caps cause whenever you talk about KENTA you have to shout his name

I assume it's the same principle with WALTER.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

“This says a lot about society” but said with a depressed sigh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't think our dude here knows how far back wrestling forums go.

https://twitter.com/slick2099/status/1357924975420801025

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JUNGLE BOY posted:

There’s a subsection of English speaking NJPW fans that are gatekeepers. The NJPW subreddit has some, but not really a majority. There was a recent thread with some praise for Harold because he was the only thing holding back the bad western influence and the wrong kind of US fans. The ingredients for that type of fan to exist are all there, it’s a much less accessible product and it presents itself differently from the “mainstream” product.

That was certainly a roadblock into me getting into Japanese stuff, particularly joshi being a subset of the thing which can be even worse. "Lookit the maroon asking about WAVE when he hasn't sat outside the arena all night watching through opera glasses waiting for Yumi Ohka to come out like a REAL fan, amirite fellers?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Punch McLightning posted:

Apparently he and Edge are seeing the same magician.

Yeah. I thought Edge was done forever level of sustained injuries.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

your friend wicka posted:

The way Dave discussed it recently made it sound kind of the opposite, like WWE's doctors are incompetently telling guys they can't wrestle ever again and other doctors are telling them otherwise.

Wasn't WWE's top medical guy for ages that chiropractor of extremely dubious provenance but who might have been Sub-Zero in the first Mortal Kombat movie?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

a cyborg mug posted:

Total amateur hour. A true garbage rear end clickbait wrestling YT thumbnail would have both wrestlers as silhouettes. Also, the video title is way too straightforward, I would propose "Major tournament BOTCHED? Fans ENRAGED" or something

Ahhhh! I can't like, comment and subscribe!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

To be fair, the comic market has just changed more than dropped through lack of interest. It's mostly turned to trade sales. Though the most vocal weirdos are for sure pirating if they're reading at all.

Yeah. When they say comics are dying what they actually mean are direct market specialty stores and, you know, good, but a lot of the people complaining comics are dying stopped adding any money to the hobby ages ago so who cares.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember when I was excited to hear Sara Del Rey was training people at the PC.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sticklefifer posted:

Noted WWE Performance Center success stories La Sombra, Tommy End, Ricochet, and Kana.

Also John Cena: "I endorse this service/and or product."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Serena's another fun one to be a 'WWE product.' The PC really helped her learn how to get her head shaved.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Trying to decide if Maki gets saddled with the “loves having fun” gimmick or becomes another HHH dark and brooding, leather wearing, generic metal entrance theme having casualty.

Maybe the latter first and then the former once it’s time for the main roster, with a really good name like Yoko Petit

Sadly Alexa already has the Harley Quinn knockoff gimmick.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

Scarlett could make people actually die just by looking at her and I still don't think that would be capable of getting a nickname like "Angel of Doom" over

I do confess I like the strong e-fed energy the name has.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

karmicknight posted:

* VOTING is fake.

WRESTLING is f- oh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AEW seems to try and allow me my suspension of disbelief far more than WWE does and I appreciate that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That shouldn't be surprising, it's been the party line of WWE for years, and the Vincels have completely internalized it by now.

Yeah. Brass Ring Grab Etc.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brother.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gosh, nobody who's ever publicly snubbed the HOF has ever gotten in! They really ruined their chance to get a ring!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Something something outlaw mud show trampoline act something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Benne posted:

Bayleno

I have questions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sticklefifer posted:

I like how the logic is that the Fiend is good because he's less boring than endless Raw tag matches. That's the bar he had to clear.

It is funny that if you'd told a younger me that Raw would have longer matches but also he'd hate it, he would have thought you were a crazy visitor from the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Imagine talking about wrestling on the internet. The very idea.