Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

forkboy84 posted:

I mean they acquired New Japan & turned it around pretty dramatically.

That said, this is still loving dumb.

Also, Rob Black is still a thing? I cannot imagine caring what he has to say about anything.

Looking at what happened to njpw after the elite left I think Kenny was shadow booking for Gedo the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Rarity posted:

New Japan COVID booking has given us:

- The Despy run
- The junior division in general getting a higher profile
- YOSHI-HASHI becoming a champ
- Shingo's NEVER title run
- The Suzuki/Nagata feud
- Dangerous Tekkers making the tag division fun
- The emotional Tanahashi failures
- Suzuki-gun wanting to help DOUKI get a belt

Yes the main event has been weird with the double gold stuff but even then the matches have always delivered apart from when EVIL was in them and the only real bum note has been Okada feuding with Bullet Club for ages and not chucking Ospreay in a bin. Overall though I'm still very satisfied

All the bullshit evil interference, Okada being horrendous all year phoning in stinkers, the alright kinda okahn, having tekkers job to GOD. Basically ibushi, Naito and Suzuki are the only thing stopping it from being unwatchable since ishii isn't allowed to win anything. They need to give the ibushi institute for advanced wrestling idiocy the book. Either that or Sanshiro

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Okada is the Hulk Hogan of njpw, nobody else has such a catastrophic drop off in quality when the crowds disappeared. Some like Suzuki even managed to improve

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

MJeff posted:

There wasn't a single good IWGP Heavyweight Championship match in 2020 after January 5th and that is almost entirely due to the booking.

Like. Shingo's great, but, you can only dance around the absolute dumpster fire the main events were for so long. And things didn't exactly go back to a high standard once WK15 was over.

Having a random guy last seen in the background of some kai en tai skits do constant interference and ruin matches is booking genius though

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Eat My Fuc posted:

Joey is probably one of the safer guys from his era, wasn't a big part of his thing on the indies he would wrestle really old and delicate guys, i've never heard of him injuring anyone.

Zandig is probably the safest worker going by how the roof bump with Janella went down

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

JUNGLE BOY posted:

they do hate each other, the cult leader is dave meltzer who plays them against each other, and who don callis is based off of

The whole meltzer thing is really starting to fall apart post that report on figure 4 about the ratings breakdowns showing women actually tuned in in droves for the Britt/Rosa match and arcade anarchy. Basically the entire arcade anarchy show was sabotaged by the boring old man wwe style wrestling time that stunk up the first half hour. He's about as out of touch as all the boomers due to his 'what women want from wrestling' sources being over 50s women who started watching in the 80s.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

MassRafTer posted:

Women did not tune in in droves for Britt/Rosa, it wasn't even the high point of the night for women and that was the quarter where NXT tied for its best quarter with women. They were down with women for the week too. The show did not perform well with women. AEW was oddly very strong with women last summer when the women's division got the least attention.

The match was overall a success story in terms of viewership but not because of women tuning in. It was a huge success with men 18-49.

Edit: I think I got got by an unsourced quote because I forgot which thread this was.

Bryan was talking about this on WOL after debating the validity of Dave's ideas about booking. Paul Fontaine had actually gone through all the metrics and compared year on year and segment by segment and the idea women are being turned off isn't correct. The viewers per home is down but the number of homes is slightly up and the 34-49 women is stable. The women loss is entirely below 34 and is consistent across every wrestling show, not just dynamite so it's an industry problem not a booking problem.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

jesus WEP posted:

it’s extremely reductive to think women’s viewership is going to live and die on what’s happening in the women’s division

It's even worse to generalise that all women faint at the sight of blood.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Eat My Fuc posted:

I mean he said that weird poo poo about no one except latinos knowing who he is which is just not true and weird. I don’t care about what impact he had on WWE, Kurt Cobain could come back from the dead and appear on WWE and no one would watch it, it’s a mostly lovely niche show.

He didn't say that though, he said nobody who watches WWE knows who bad bunny is.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

AlmightyPants posted:

Nah, Alexa has a pretty good concussion history and combine that with Charlotte's carelessness and you can see where it's heading.

Kinda concerned what would happen without Becky there to hide Alexa under the ring to protect her.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Alaois posted:

there's a really hosed up part of the brains of people who's only exposure to wrestling is WWE that says any move that looks cool is actually dangerous and shouldn't be done

Let me explain how a generic senton is the most dangerous move in the world, please ignore one wrestler having to hide another one from a third to stop them trying to get the rest of their poo poo in after concussing them twice.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Britt is actually the nega-flair because instead of murdering people constantly she is getting murdered. If she wanted to be a good champion like flair she should chase after a concussed riho trying to get her poo poo in.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Why are they giving this insanely over a guy a shot at the mid card belt I ponder

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I thought enclosed pool area was supposed to be the place to just enjoy wrestling without all the baggage that happens here. How is it even more unbearably miserable lol

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

MJeff posted:

Guys like Hangman, Trent and Lance Archer decided that getting paid more money over a longer, more stable contract, a fraction of the travel, fewer dates (and thus fewer bumps) and a much, much higher ceiling to their stardom was probably a better move for their career and a handful of NJPW fans have never forgiven them for it.

There are people that will tell you with a straight face that Trent ruined his career going to AEW because he could've stayed in NJPW and been the Chaos mole.

Gedo is doing a fantastic job of running off all the gaijins.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

MJeff posted:

I mean, Gedo's just the booker. The office is the one that seems to in general react to any given gaijin leaving the company with "eh we can always find more white guys". Which, to be fair, they have so far. They only push like one or two gaijin at an actual high level and the rest are just midcarders, so.

Let's use Osprey to get the great o Khan over!

Let's use Jay White to get evil and dick Togo over!

Wait why are you guys leaving

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

MJeff posted:

I can definitely see that from Britt, Boy and Ricky, but it's kinda funny to imagine MJF in the clique that sucks at pitching.

The last time he tried pitching a segment he ended up singing on Nancy Grace

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

RealFoxy posted:

They call themselves Sigma Males now that Incel has been tainted. See, they're Alpha Wolves but they don't get along with "The pack" so they're also Alpha Wolves that are Lone Wolves.

All I can think about reading this is the insane legal drama around those two fan fiction writers fighting over the intellectual property rights to the concept of gay werewolves doing BDSM.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

a cyborg mug posted:

I think I’ve asked it before ITT and certainly wondered about it elsewhere, but… Can someone explain to me how these Twitter harassers and creeps and cosplayers etc. have the time to do all this poo poo?? Is it like a hobby for them? They think ”got a bit of time before I need to head out, I can squeeze in a bit of harassing on the internet”? Tweet a couple of breathtakingly shitass takes as they’re having their morning coffee? It just all seems like so much effort for a pointless activity entirely powered by spite. I just don’t get it. If anyone here’s done a lot of harassing online can you explain it to me

It triggers similar brain chemistry that winning at gambling or getting the s rank waifu in some terrible gachapon mobile game does. It also has long term degenerative affects of the brain. All this was intentional.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/05/30/twitter-hurting-intelligence-not-smart-study/%3foutputType=amp

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/aug/23/social-media-addiction-gambling

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/07/air-force-research-how-to-use-social-media-to-control-people-like-drones/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_LifeLog

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

It's not even the best washed up return in recent memory. Edges theme hitting at the Rumble was way bigger.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

coconono posted:

They also sweetened the audio too, which was kinda unneeded

https://streamable.com/dzf3ct

The god pop to end all God pops will be final countdown hitting at Grand slam

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Penguin Patrol posted:

it was either veer or shanky, i remember hearing something about how they have an insanely inspirational true story that WWE has never told us

MLB had a talent scouting expedition to India and he was a poor kid who with no training and terrible form managed to be one of the hardest throwers they had ever seen. He was offered a contract and became the first Indian to play professional baseball and spent a couple of years in the minors.

The tv show of the talent search and also the movie was million dollar arm. Dave did a bit on him on won last week and how dumb it was to not use it as a great base for a baby face.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't know... they're not really all that wrong? It's the same thing everyone here has said for years – main roster WWE constantly devalues NXT to the point that you start to lose the desire to even watch it, because you know the people you enjoy are just going to end up eating dogshit in a year.

The former drug addict thing is a low blow and gross to call out, especially if Jeff has worked to get clean, but the overall sentiment still makes sense. It's wild that it took until it happening to Karrion loving Kross for people to actually get tired of it, though.

If Vince will even do that to a big strong muscle man then it means NXT really is worthless.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Lamuella posted:

Last few seasons of bees have sucked. Nothing like as good as when I was a kid.

Vince Russo was booking bees last week and he sent out wasps as a swerve

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
The only way to view whether max castor went too far is to say 'would Jim cornette defend this as good heat in SMW'

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Lamuella posted:

ROMAN: Jimmy, when two wrestlers work together, the Sempai-Kohai relationship is inferred.

The Luther and Serpentico tsukkomi/boke duo proves AEW superior again

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Kosmo Gallion posted:

That's gross.

Anonymous third hand accounts. Definitely in the same ball park as the actually hosed scumbags in British wrestling

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Lid posted:

what is with this overlap of premier league fan accounts and Vincels

https://twitter.com/__CFCzone_/status/1424610209280917508

Way back in the day the 2 big things on Sky were the prem and wrestling. So if your dad got sky to watch the football you then had access to all wwe content

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Is he actually saying anything with discussing? A quick glance is just 'everyone lied and impact broke my contact' which I can't see being worth caring about unless there is a legal judgement. He's a creep and he got run out of wrestling.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Dr. Baker posted:

They totally teach dumb comedy skits at the performance center

Getting them ready for their 24 7 title future like all the other PC geeks

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

DLC Inc posted:

aewbotches closing his account when he mystically cannot find the person who doxxed him or provide evidence it ever took place

imagine getting so shook about aew that you, a father, go beyond posting about it 50 times a day and create a conspiracy that people want you dead

The hood is pulled back to reveal Gabe 'it was me aewbotches, it was me all along'

'awww son of a bitch'

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

STONE COLD 64 posted:

charlotte and nia shooting on each other is really funny and kicks rear end

The two most unsafe workers in the company trying to do a worked shoot. What a Vince Russo idea.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I was walking down the street and saw somebody reading the observer. Doing my best the lonely island impression I threw it on the ground.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Thanlis posted:

/r/NJPW is fish in a barrel. The obsessive gatekeepers over there...

Please ignore former iwgp champion, King of darkness, EVIL

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Okada can never be the greatest due to the Ric flair test. Can you get a good match out of a broom. I would extend this to any inanimate object and observe these results:

Omega: sex doll
Ibushi: sex doll, teddy bear
Ishii: Honma

Unfortunately for Okada, despite being more closely related to a crab than a human, Marty Scurll is still animate.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Zombie Lemur posted:

I hope it's a comment on like a cute cat video or something.

It will be the pwg thumb in the bum 10 man tag with liger

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Please ignore the current tag champs

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I wonder if wwe would allow a wrestler to have a BLM armband be part of his ring gear.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I think the biggest thing that hurt private party was their brand was the most insane flyers in the company, jump higher, flip more etc. Then top flight got signed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

coconono posted:

I think the quarantine BTEs was where I started to see Private Party really shine. They're really weird dudes and I love them.

Sammy vlog private party is so much more entertaining than dynamite private party