Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SKY COQ posted:

Haha gently caress, Cryptic are discontinuing the Mac client.

It was never good but when it worked it was a reasonable way to doff with Twitter open. Back to the WINE solution I guess, or just boot camp.

WELP. It was pretty loving unstable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cutedge posted:

Wasn't there unofficial one that just wrapped the client in an application? Was that the WINE one?

I'd be surprised if their solution wasn't just some sort of emulation wrapper.

This describes both the official and unofficial client.

Also gently caress restarting every 4 hours to do contra.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Some how one of my characters has their starship trapped in a bizarre limbo where it can't be readied (or dry docked). Any ideas? I tried commissioning and decommissioning a new ship.

EDIT: I was able to dismiss it. I'm getting a "C-Store is disabled" message, but if that clears up I'll try to buy it back.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 5, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm hoping they give the sci vessels sensor analysis again.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Wide angle torps are available from the dildoship, the 2500Z Assault Cruiser, anywhere else?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pubbies fukkin love big cruisers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Asimo posted:

Pubbies loving love Command spec ships for some reason too. Saw lots of complaints about the fed carrier being Intel. :ughh:

I talked about this earlier. It's because things like bombing run don't scale, so they don't scale down, which benefits people who are terrible players.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Asimo posted:

Flagship stats are up. Not going to bother pasting since they're pretty much copy-pastes with the usual T6 +1 console/power. :effort:

On the upside, the Fed/Klank sci variants kept their sensor analysis. No hangar bays though.

Is sensor analysis with only 2 tac consoles still worthwhile? It feels like in this era of FAW-spamming balls of enemies sensor analysis isn't as useful.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9797693

Skill System Revamp.

"No more feeling as though you’re forced to sacrifice performance in your Starship for the sake of Ground Skills, or vice versa!"

I have to say, I like the idea of that.

This could be really good. Even if they gently caress it up, it'll probably still be a net improvement.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm 100% convinced this will make tac captains even further above the other two.

Also I'm "looking forward" to everyone putting all their points in the space tac tree.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Oh god threatening stance is going to mean even more Tankbuild pubbies.

I'll use it just to make sure i'm getting Reciprocity.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

They're already complaining that it's not in the Engineering tree.

:ughh:

Pubbies gonna pub.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Technical Analysis posted:

What's the gist of the fix? What got hosed the hardest?

Probably Attack Pattern Beta.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm not even sure that's in the top 5 problems with STO though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

A Fancy Bloke posted:

drat now I'm curious what everyone's top 5 problems with this game are.

I feel like it'd be a massive task limiting it to just 5

Hmm.

1. Every loving thing about queues
2. The delta between a "correct" and "incorrect" build is huge
3. The game never loving tells you how to do a correct build (hell, if you look at the default loadout for many ships, it does the opposite)
4. PVP (pretty sure it's still dead)
5. Grind

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Asimo posted:

My main's an engineer and I don't really regret it since it's not like the game is really hard or something, but it's obnoxious to think that I could be doing 50%+ more damage with no appreciable downside if I did tac instead. You think it'd be trivially easy to add some team buffs or a damage boost to a skill or something to make the class worth it, but Cryptic. :effort:

But Engineer is the tanking class! And Science is the ??????? class. And an Engineer in a Cruiser is tankiest of them all.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'd be totally up for some sort of "random dungeon a la Diablo" except in space. Then you call that exploration clusters.

Except they'd gently caress it up bad.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Aleth posted:

One day we'll be fighting Q.

That'll make the anniversary awkward.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Dat mk x rear torp.

Is.. is that a common rear torp? Possibly the one that was in that spot when they got the ship?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Science I understand; They usually have the turn to use torpedoes(Even if they lack the slots to do much that's fancy with them). I'm presuming that a single torpedo is going in that fourth forward slot.

But what's a heavy carrier, usually with a base turn of 5, gonna do with a torpedo right now?

Nothing, because they'd fill the slot with a beam.

There's probably enough power/drain resistance to run ten beams if you somehow could.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

It's got the phaser point defence console, which might actually be pretty useful next time there's a shuttle weekend.

Didn't that get nerfed?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

Don't forget the recent Green Lantern/JJTrek crossover. Maybe we'll get a return to TNG x X-Men?

Check Patrick Stewart's linkedin.

EDIT: Whoa, they deleted it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Dual Pistols are among the best-looking weapons.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

Oh yeah, tomorrow is May 5th.

Time to find out what the May 5th at the end of the last trailer was about.

I doubt it is the release of a mission, they'd probably have more build up.

It is probably an announcement of whatever 50th anniversary events they're doing.

Get a William Shatner toupee admiralty card.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Morglon posted:

I weep for the state of humanity when people here are actually looking forward to Cryptic written Star Trek time travel stories. The best you can hope to get out of a time travel story is Back to the Future or Terminator, for different reasons obviously but Trek writing in general has rarely reached anything people would consider good. Time travel is handled much worse, Cryptic Trek writing reaches inoffensive and forgettable at the very best and Cryptic time travel writing manages to excavate an entirely new sub basement of bad writing and people are looking forward to that. I mean I am here sperging pretty hard about that and yet I'm embarrassed for all of you. I mean wow, this is just so much worse than melting down over being called a space brony.

Star Trek IV is good :colbert:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tunicate posted:

New R&D pack promo ship: Whale Probe

They'd give it a power drain trait that would be either useless, busted as all hell, or mutually exclusive with plasmonic leech.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if the TOS 'faction' might actually be its entire own little miniature instance of the game. Its own sector space, its own maps, its own progressions, its own missions, its own STFs and Reps, no meeting 25th century.

Then they'd use Daedalus to Connie as the advancement ship tiers, but you have to buy to use them in the regular game.

Actually, they could do that with the TOS faction, but have 25th century characters able to travel to the TOS faction sector space and maps with the time portal! And use slightly modified Time Agent versions of the TOS faction missions for the normal faction missions. Save on asset development.

That sounds like work. I imagine they'll have a shitload of timeline contamination at some point.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cutedge posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, just make BOFFs have passives and one activatible ability, and then reduce the number of other abilities that you get. They really should streamline the poo poo out of this game.

Yeah. The fact that spacebar macros exist and will sometimes span two rows of buttons indicates that there needs to be some loving reworking (which will never happen).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Or even Generations, if we are being honest

First Contact was OK I guess but still kind of weird.

Voyage Home is still the best Star Trek movie.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like if they gave you the option of continuing episodes I'd call that "pretty generous".

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Temporal Agent has the thing that makes singularities home in on dudes, which is sort of tempting me to play this shitpile again.

I probably would if they made it so you could use the grav well and tyken's rift doffs at the same time, for maximum singularity gangbang.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is anyone using Wine to run this POS? Supposedly it runs fine in Wine 1.9.12 but it won't work for me in 1.9.14.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Mondian posted:

Lol if Romulans are a mini faction, then I think TOS characters should be called a micro faction

Coming soon, the Cardassian nano-faction and the Dominion pico-faction.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The nacelles have no function in power generation, that's all the warp core.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, the bigger issue than XP players (gently caress em) is Mac and Linux WINErs.

Weren't those cut loose a while ago?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Mondian posted:

Although it'd be a fitting time to do that though. Its almost exactly seven years since science was good and powerful.

Was that before they nerfed the consoles or a different thing?

Also I will log in and play if Photonic Fleet is made great again.

Was it ever great?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

Help me name my stupid pizza cutter, SA.

USS Domino's.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Why doesn't the ship interior have your DOffs anyway? It's got your BOffs and then random engineer or whatever.

Probably because doffs don't have a 3d model anywhere.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh, not really drawing me back here cryptic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

If the "targetable torps are immune to hazards" thing applies to NPCs, does that mean that being one-shot by invisible borg torps will come back?

• Locked thread