Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just saw Oliver here in Durham huge Ferguson protest happen to pass by at the same time his second show started with an army of cops fightin them it was crazy. He commtented about it saying he understood that we probably wanted to go with him but we had bought the tickets already.

Also he did mention I/P and how he supports the 2 state solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lots of people talking about how it's a choice when it just happens to be a choice that can't happen to them physically.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

And yet, when you wade into their goblin warrens, they're constantly talking about how they're winning the battle because some "SJW" got his conference bumped from E3 or something. It's amazing how much this consumes their lives, right down to their pillow art waifu Vivian James.

I love the term SJW because as soon as someone uses it as some sort of insult or whatever I instantly know how worthless their opinion is really cuts out a lot of guesswork.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Toplowtech posted:

There is literally no real crafting system in most previous fallout games (or at least nothing compared to what they want to add in Fallout 4), just some weapons mod systems and minor player made mods. And Fallout 3 is arguably the less well written of all the Fallout game compared to 1&2 and New Vegas.

And about non-conventional games, the industry used to have a relatively large number of great middleware companies who provided that kind of "not entirely centered on murdering people" niche games from time to time but most of them either went under during the last decade or were forced into the quite Hollywoodian "TRIPLE AAA or BUST" philosophy, in order not to be brought and destroyed by the bigger publishers.

"Make a less violent game instead of the last sequel of AAA game" in the current economy would be similar to saying "Hey game studio who may or may not be either all about profit or risking your survival on your next few projects, could you make a less violent game? You know instead of a male fantasy that's guaranteed to sell?" And it's even more funny when you see what happened to Sunset, which was litteraly made to be that kind of anti-violent progressive feminist game*. Also you can play a pacifist whatever skin color whatever sexual orientation female character in most of the Fallout games, so it minds blowing ignorant to make that kind of remark with that particular game.

*You play a black women in a South American country in the 70s. So of course the game-play involves cleaning a house for an always absent male too busy freeing his country from a right wing dictatorship. 4 000 games sold, bankrupt inde studio.

vvv No, it only had tunnel snakes. AND TUNNEL SNAKES RULE! :suicide:

You know independent gaming is at an all time high right? There is tons of experimental poo poo going on right now even point and click and choose your adventure games are getting to be big sellers for larger companies. Farm Sim and Truck Sims also sell like crazy. Hell there is a Train game on Steam that makes tons of money selling digital model trains.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Someone was making a joke about a hymen once, my friend didn't get it we all looked at him and asked him if he knew what a hymen was he was late 20s at the time. He told us "I don't know what a hymen is because I don't watch anime!!" he was 100% serious, Sex-ed is really bad in the south.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

And oops we closed the dmvs and reduced hours in the poor districts, pure coincidence.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

As with most issues it boils down to a lack of worker protections, if you even tried to take that 5th Wednesday off to go to the DMV most minimum wage level jobs will fire you, even if they let you take the untime paid off that days work + the license is the difference between paying the rent or not for a large portion of the poor.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

meristem posted:

This is interesting. As an Euro, the requirements for my national ID are almost the same: birth certificate (for the first one)/previous ID (for the next), photo and a national ID number given at birth. Signature you deliver by, well, putting it into the form, and residency is mostly declared. For my first one (at 18), I think they cross-checked it with the last official residency of my legal guardian, although maybe even not that.

There are also recourses written into the law for if you lose one and also can't access a copy of your certificate, and so on, just like they should.

Needless to say, the whole issue is absolutely bizarre to me. Wouldn't it be easier for the Democrats to push for free state ID laws and have those suffice for several years (and also be useful elsewhere) than to register voters regularly? I dunno... probably somebody did a cost/benefit analysis of that somewhere.

It would and they are trying, the problem is the republicans control the house/senate in these states and are pushing these changes right before an election, if it was say a 10 year plan with plenty of time to get the ID/make it free people would have less objections to it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Veskit posted:

I have to say that this episode annoyed me because of the topic more than anything. I hate how everyone hates tax breaks and the "they took our jobs" loving attitude of sending jobs overseas and Puerto Rico does it then we're supposed to feel bad for them when they have our jobs, then we're supposed to feel even more bad when we take them back loving which oen do you want america.

Also Puerto Rico doesn't pay federal taxes, just payroll taxes and even on that they don't pay until they make something absurd like 40k dollars, and universal health care, and they spent themselves into a dumb mess that the're currently in.

They need a bail out, I get john is asking for a patch fix but they need a loving bailout like crazy. They also shouldn't be tied to america if they want to pull off stunts like this.

Did I mention pretty much nobody pays taxes in Puerto Rico?

If all those poor people without jobs would just pay more taxes all of their problems would go away.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

rujasu posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much it. As much as it sucks, if everyone could just go to college for years on loans and then file for bankruptcy after graduation, who would be stupid enough to issue a student loan?

If anyone could take a loan on ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD then file for bankruptcy who would be stupid enough to issue a loan for ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Squall posted:

My presidential vote doesn't matter, so it's going third party. Hillary, just like Trump, is a pathological liar that doesn't deserve my vote. I can understand voting for her in a state where you vote might actually matter at all to strategically vote against the "greater evil" in Trump, though.

None of this is true, do you have any evidence or is 25 years of Hillary bashing from the right make you think she is a pathological liar "just like Trump" can you even name something she has actually lied about?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vodos posted:

Every interview she gave about her email server comes to mind.

Which part did she lie about?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FetusSlapper posted:

Maybe they should do the freemium thing where if you want to read their articles you can watch a 30 second ad for clash of clans or something.

Adblock, no one wants to pay and no one wants to watch ads.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I think there's also something odd about this idea that local journalism is the only/best way to deal with local corruption and that we should be funding local papers because they are the real heroes.

It makes more sense that the government should be encouraging a more active political citizenship, which actually attend local government meetings. Or maybe the problem is that America insists on defunding all of its regulatory agencies which should be the ones auditing this kind of poo poo.

Corruption is a structural problem that isn't going to be solved by just making sure that The Springfield Gazette or whatever has enough money.

One step at a time.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Now that Larry Wilmore is canceled and the Daily Show is just... Not very funny, it's beginning to look like John Oliver is the real Superman and the crisis is over. Oliver's show appears to have a much bigger presence on social media and frankly his commentary/depth is a lot better, along the lines of at least Stewart and probably a fair bit better than that.

Samantha Bee's show is incredible as well.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

He used to have more jokes in his repertoire. Not only is this not funny, I'd hesitate to even call it a joke. One thing that struck me in his standup, his time at The Daily Show, and even the beginning of Last Week Tonight was that he was very funny, and I thought he earned his own show with his own hosting stint on TDS. I never listened to The Bugle, but I hear that he was very funny there too. Today, though, he's degraded himself to Family Guy humor as the only way to lighten things up. It's embarrassing. He can and should be much better.

It's the perfect example of a "pop culture reference as the joke" moment from the latest episode, plus it's my hockey team.

You've made this exact same post after every single episode for like years now, just stop watching.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Echo Chamber posted:

I do think "Why don't third parties start at the local level" is a pretty bullshit anti-3rd party excuse, simply because there are already various local elections with third party races; and they people usually making those arguments don't particularly care about "local races" that don'e effect them. It's just a way of telling them to go away.

My main argument against third parties is still the fact that the political ideology that I most agree with that has largely been traditionally ignored has shown to be viable in the Democratic Party. Bernie Sanders, even though he's hardly not a politician of the "hard" Left, has shown that it's possible to seize control of the party or force a major party to at least adopt a big part of the Left's platform.

And I don't care if the Libertarians gain ground within or outside of the GOP. Libertarianism is stupid.

And that's how change should be done through the primaries, voting for Bernie in the primary shows you want the party further left and it worked the platform adopted many of his positions. Voting for the Green Party in the general shows nothing of the sort because there isn't a "why" section on the voting ballet and it's not like the third parties have any policies that are capable of being adopted.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

hemophilia posted:

You and people like you keep trying to guilt people unto voting for a person and a party they don't loving like. Your indignation is unearned and you are convincing nobody. If hillary fails to trump of all people, its because shes a garbage candidate. If she gets blocked like gore in 2000 by third party votes, thats on every idiot democrat from the lowly voter that frankly had no real say in Clinton's coronation all the way to her top donors and senior dnc staff that did everything they could to install her. Leftists dont owe you or any other centrist their unwavering support for candidates with a storied history of undermining and working against true leftist ideals. Trump's a garbage fire. Clinton's a garbage fire, you do yourself no favors by demanding anybody play ball by feeding the fire.

Stein has issues but i would loving take her over a dnc candidate any day.

The only thing you're right about is that third parties need to focus on legislative seats instead of waiting every four years to make a scene about presidential politics. There are plenty of areas where greens and libertarians are strong enough to weaken dems and republicans legislatively, which is where it starts. Its how republicans began to usurp tge whigs. Their limited resources need to go there, not using presidential elections to whine about an unfair system.

What makes Clinton a garbage fire? I'd love to see some evidence of this storied history of undermining and working against true leftest ideals from the person running under the leftmost democratic party platform yet.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CrashCat posted:

Pretty much this. Yeah there will be a few people who think that because Trump got elected they can commit a crime for free but there are also people who thought that because Obama got elected they could commit a crime for free. There's never going to be a lack of dumb assholes who will use an excuse to be violent.

Fearing for your safety any more today than yesterday is dumb, though it's an understandable reaction. Someone WILL be the victim of a violent crime today which they blame on Trump, and we will all pretend to be surprised and shocked by it, but people were also murdered yesterday and nobody cared.

Obama didn't encourage violence at his rallies. Also there wasn't a large violent subculture as well as the KKK supporting him, pretending they are somehow equal is just silly.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

NutritiousSnack posted:

Trump ran his campaign to win states unfavorable to him that he stood a chance of winning. For example, Calforina the state Hillary won, wasn't visited once by Trump because the impossibility of him winning. So a lot of GOP sat on their asses and didn't vote at all, something they would have done if the EC didn't exist. This line of thinking is stupidn and is used to deflect larger issues of blame (the fact Hillary and establishment democrats are dumb as dogshit.)

Why is this true for solid blue states but not solid red?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

Frankly, Obama's not that great of a president. If he was a great president, we wouldn't be in the shitshow that we are in now. After the crash, he put in power the same people who helped orchestrate it, setting us up for another one, which is sure to occur in the next 6-18 months. Many Americans lost their jobs and their houses, and then were told they were irresponsible for borrowing money that they couldn't pay back. Here's a notion: the banks were irresponsible for lending money to people who couldn't afford to pay them back. If Obama really gave a poo poo about ordinary Americans and unemployment, he would've had the government hire unemployed folks like FDR did. Also, his touted obamacare policies were a step in the right direction, but American quality of care still lags other poorer countries, and monthly household expenditure is still very high (at on average $257/mo and scheduled to increase by 9% outpacing wage growth by quite a bit).

Wasn't a dictator. FDR's stuff required congress/senate.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

The dems had the house and senate then, but to be fair to Obama, FDR passed the New Deal because of the revolutionary pressure from below. The spectrum has shifted so much that there's no way the democrats of 2008 would've passed anything like the New Deal.

They had the entire house and senate for a VERY short time thanks to the Giffords shootings and other problems a few months is not enough time to pass dozens of bills.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

The episode was pretty weak. A lot of the "Pro-Putin Trump clips" were taken out of context. Yes, he said it wouldn't be great if we got a long with Putin, but he said during a long list of "wouldn't it be great if we got along with *insert nation/group the US has poor relations with*?"

I don't think they were, do you have a link to video? I've never seen him be kind to any country as Russia.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find it surprising that I have to link an example of this. Trump never stopped using the "wouldn't it be nice?" line. He always used it right before or after his "why we against Iran? just leave them alone and kill ISIS."

He literally has been threatening towards Iran on multiple occasions to the point people are sure he wants a war with them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

tsob posted:

I don't watch the show, just the main segments on Youtube, but I've seen a few of them and they always seem kind of stupid to be honest. One of them I recall seeing was complaining about the people hosting morning shows getting flirtatious. Yea, out of context newscaster getting sexually suggestive in their language with each other is weird, but it's just people at a job trying to enliven things and make it more tolerable and fun for themselves. Who cares?

No one cares or is complaining it was a funny little segue to pad between segments maybe you are looking too hard into it. I think everyone here is expecting a bit much from a 30 minute a week comedy news show, they can't address every single issue in every state nor can they ignore the poo poo Trump is doing because other people happen to cover it as well.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Nancy Pelosi has said recently "we're capitalists" and "you can be a Democrat and pro-life" so uh, try again.

The left in this country is absolutely out for blood. They just aren't largely supported by the Democratic party!

You do realize the Democrats are a coalition and they need people to get elected in areas that aren't ready for "full communist now" if they give no leeway to people in red states then they are never going to get in power again.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

raditts posted:

So tell me, how has cozying up to Republican "values" worked out for Democrats in the past? What leads you to believe the result will be different in the future?

It's worked well, there are several Democratic Congresspeople who only manage to skate by in red states by being more centrist, I'm not saying it's an ideal situation but if you ever want to control the house/senate again and have a small chance at some progress it's the only way.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

basic hitler posted:

you don't get to just downplay the fact the dems are no longer representing the majority of its constituent voter's beliefs and expectations. They're behaving just as evilly, you just give them a pass because you imagine they're doing something, or anything, useful, but they just tried to force a former goldwater girl on the labor-left and got torn the gently caress up for it. They're not doing anybody anything useful and most of the senior leadership need to be challenged and beaten by stronger leftists smart enough to borrow the democrat moniker

Oh goody "both sides are just as evil" a productive well researched position that gets us all places.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Here's something I don't quite understand about the whole Equifax/credit report situation in general: Where do they get that information in the first place? It seems weird to me that a corporation can just have your very important identification information without you actually giving it to them (I assume that when you apply for a credit card with a bank there's probably some clause in the contract that mentions that the information you give the bank will also be given to the credit agencies, but that really seems like something you should be able to opt out of)

Sure you can opt out of the credit system, as long as you don't ever need a car/house/utilities/credit card and sadly more often lately even a job as some of them have started credit checking.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Phenotype posted:

When people ask me my political affiliations I tell them that I'd call myself a Libertarian if the Libertarians weren't such a mess. It means that I generally think the government's job is to protect its citizens and otherwise stay out of our lives. Except that means I'm in favor of guns being legal and a strong military to look out for our interests and also in favor of the EPA and stuff like that because protecting citizens means protecting our environment, and I think it should stop corporations from having too much power over us, and basically no one really fits into any category at all and it's just a fancy word that doesn't mean anything.

What if protecting Citizens means taking guns away from the citizens so they stop shooting each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Servaetes posted:

Given the terrible OP got permabanned, yeah the mod should lock or close the thread, make a new one when the show resumes rather than me getting baited checking the thread for updates and imsteqd it's just a bunch of goobers arguing about DND/CSPAM crap outside of the containment zones they should discuss it

Or just post stuff about Oliver or things related to him because yknow that's what this thread should be etc

This is a political show I don't understand how you want people to talk about it without talking about politics.

• Locked thread