Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Morpheus posted:

The movie Hush does a good job, from what I remember, of having both the protagonist and antagonist win their respective fights and yet having the other side getting away, without them being dumb. Each get wounded, struggling more and more to fight as the movie progresses, never really giving quarter to the other, because if at any point they're incapacitated, they know they're going to die.

Hush does a good job with this, mostly, but it suffers massively from the trope of an outsider showing up and missing all the massive red flags that something is wrong and the protagonist getting dumber when they show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

I decided to re-watch The Lost World: Jurassic Park since I don't think I've actually seen it in over twenty years.

For me it's easily the second best of the entire franchise. Nothing in the World series even comes close to it. Even the third one, which I find very middling, is better than anything the World films have to show for themselves.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Been watching The Killing and the rain in this show is driving me nuts. Yes, we all know it rains in Seattle. It does not have a torrential downpour like this every day! The city would be flooded on the reg if it did.

The only person putting any effort into The Killing was whoever operated the rain machine.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I can't say we're friends, and I doubt he'd remember me but it turns out I know CC better than most people. He's a major league rear end in a top hat to everybody but he's also 100% damaged goods. When nobody in your life ever tells you "No" he's what you get.

Fundamentally he's a good person, or at least he wants to be, but he can't quite make it work. It's easier for him to get negative attention so that's what he rolls with. It's all an act that unfortunately has taken over his whole being.

So... he's Bojack Horseman?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

He deserved to be ruined, destroying a world famous piece of art to do it is possibly a bit far. The Mona Lisa didn't do anything wrong.

Don't they establish right at the end that it was never the real Mona Lisa and the gallery just gave him a reproduction to shut him up? Almost like he can't tell the difference between the real deal and a fake/duplicate/twin.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

I don't remember that at all and it would ruin the revenge plan surely?

I've found it. My memory was recalling an interview with Rian Johnson where he said the below;

Rian Johnson posted:

"We also shot a little coda which we decided not to use, with Blanc on the phone speaking French and getting a little affirmation of 'ah, oui, oui, merci,'" Johnson said, "and cutting to an office in the Louvre where the real 'Mona Lisa' is, with the security guards saying 'well, back to work.'" That scene isn't in the film, however. Johnson explained that it felt like pulling a punch, saying he prefers the version of "Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery" that audiences got — the one where the "Mona Lisa" and her famous smile go up in flames.

Read More: https://www.looper.com/1161626/glass-onions-rian-johnson-explains-why-they-had-to-destroy-the-mona-lisa/

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah I mean if you are able tolerate teen melodrama it's pretty fun for all the casual satanism and it's extremely queer.

Its a shame the actor for Ambrose turned out to be a MAGA poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

Whenever I watch Jurassic Park 3 my brain will briefly complain during the reveal that William H Macy and Tea Leoni are frauds about 'then how did they hire the mercenaries?'

Yeah, it's kind of a totally unnecessary reveal that just raises more questions than answers.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Really? Goddamn. I remember when I was a kid the VHS cover of my copy was that image of Bigwig in the snare.

I read the book over and over and over again as a kid. Love the movie too. When I was at university in Southampton I lived very, very close to the River Test, which is the same river the rabbits escape down when fleeing Efrafa, and that pleased my heart.

The nice blu-ray that came out recently used this as it's cover.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

That reminds me of the Will Arnett show "Running Wilde" that lasted 13 episodes in 2011 and featured Peter Serafinowicz, a white man from Liverpool, as "Fa'ad Shaoulin" in what is definitely brownface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=C5o6e9JITaQ

Twenty Eleven.

You really just left out the best bit of Peter Serafinowicz's character so it would be a surprise didn't you?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Phanatic posted:

In the Netflix adaptation of Three-Body Problem, the show starts off present-day by telling us that particle colliders all across the world have started turning out results that completely contradict all known theory. And the response to this, globally, is "how disappointing, we might as well shut down all the particle accelerators. The scientists themselves are depressed and glum.

None of that makes any sense. All these colliders have been doing for decades is just saying over and over again in one way or another "Yep, the Standard Model is right. Good job, here's your Nobel." Having them *stop* doing that and actually show that there's *new physics* going on would be regarded as a hugely exciting development by the entire physics community. Every single one of them who looks at data from the LHC or ALBA or COSY or whatever wants to look at that data and see not confirmation of something we already know, but a signal that upends everything and gives us something unambigously beyond the standard model. In the show, they have that, and it's portrayed as grim and depressing.

The entire show presents science as this kind of drab office job that no one really enjoys. Every single character whose a scientist shows no loving enthusiasm for the amazing events taking place around them or any inquisitiveness or scientific method when confronted by these events.

For example when one of the scientist sees the countdown projected on her optic nerve she just gets sad and accepts it, rather than loving doing test or trying to figure out it's limits or origin. When she's told that the countdown will end if she cancels her big science project this is news to her, despite the fact she could of checked when the countdown ended and discovered it corresponded with her big pre-planned demonstration of said science project, so she'd at least of linked the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hardcordion posted:

The scientists know something huge and unprecedented has happened to change our observation of particle physics across the globe but they're blind to actually investigate it. I'd be depressed too, honestly.

It's presented with all the depth of a standard office job though, like the loving printer isn't working so you can't file your next shipping document properly.

There's no hunger to know what's going on.

These 5 characters come together, who are supposedly all geniuses, and they are less interested in the complete dissolution of particle physics, the sky blinking, and one of them seeing an ominous countdown and more in talking about whose loving who now or who the boss liked more.