Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

In the first Thor movie, it opens with a shot of Tønsberg, Norway ca 900 AD where we were apparently invaded by frost giants until Odin and his crew showed up. Immediately after this we are shown Thor and Loki as children, so they were not a part of Odins gang at the start. But Thor and Loki have by that point been established as norse gods for well over a thousand years :argh: my immersion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Slime posted:

I think the idea was to basically use them to kill everything on the whole drat planet. Presumably the xenos would die after they killed everything, or W-Y would develop some sort of control system to kill them off once they were done. Genetically engineer them to have limited lifespans, or make a virus or something that they all carry that kills them at a certain point, something like that.

Literally all of those things were tried

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My irrationally irritating Star Wars moment is I just found out a part of me cares deeply that they axed nearly all the expanded universe poo poo. My canon :smith:

I loved every aspect of the movie though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

oldpainless posted:

My irritating moment is that BB8 is so cute that I wanted to pick him up and hug and kiss him and squeeze him and the whole movie should have been them continually hugging and kissing BB8.

100% agreed

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The whole stormtroopers being the presumably kidnapped or orphaned victims of the Empire bit kinda bummed me out a little bit, I sorta get that criticism at least.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My current IIMM is the fact that there's no Dredd sequel :argh:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Caprica rocked my balls straight off, but I watched it stoned off my rear end so your mileage may vary. It was also cancelled way too early like most good Sci-Fi channel shows.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If you watched The Force Awakens and walked out thinking Finn and Rey are gonna hook up you should turn in your movie analysis card pronto.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

There have been movie romances that made a lot less sense than Finn and Rey. There's no way they are going to give in to "fan demand" and do the Finn/Poe thing. The ones who want it are going to watch anything with the Star Wars label on it anyway, but there are people who will not watch it that would have watched it otherwise if they "dare" to insert a prominent homosexual relationship. Movies (or at least, this type of movie) are about making as much money as possible, they'll never do it.

Did we watch the same movie? Finn and Poe's meetup at the rebel base? Every single encounter they have together? It was all so different from any Finn and Rey scenes. Honestly I would be blown away if Finn and Poe don't end up getting gay-space-married.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

All I saw is two guys who develop a close bond through the rescue and combat. Movies do this all the time. I mean if we were watching a real-life recording of people that actually existed, I'd probably agree that there was some attraction, but they're fictional characters and their sexual orientation is whatever the writers decide it will be. But it's a movie, made by a company notorious for doing whatever it takes to make money, not make social statements.

Next thing I know you'll be telling me that Maverick and Goose and/or Iceman were actually gay for each other.

Those are all good points, and yeah at the end of the day it is pretty much a guess by me so it'll be interesting to see where it ends up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have a 2.5 year old son so I have seen Cars 1 and 2 roughly 5000 times each, and each viewing leaves me with more questions.

How does this imaginary world lf sapient vehicles work??? How did it loving start? Is Cars an argument for intelligent design? Do the cars reproduce by building a new car and if so why would anyone condemn their ungodly spawn to a lifetime of being a tiny forklift?

A major plot point in Cars 2 is about oil. How does oil even exist? Do the cars turn into oil that the other cars then consume? In Cars 1 they make a point of showing you that even insects are hosed up tiny cars with wings and feelers so is everything related?

My son also recently discovered the films Planes 1 and 2 which left me with other questions: the main character (a lovely propeller plane) dreams of becoming a fighter jet doing high speed low drag poo poo, but this could never happen. Because he was unlucky enough to be born into a lovely life as a crop duster. This is some bleak rear end poo poo. And then in the second one a major plot point is the planes loving gearbox ia broken and NO ONE MAKES THAT PARTICULAR KIND OF GEARBOX ANY LONGER. What the gently caress this is slme dystopian death panel poo poo in a retarded movie for kids.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Patattack posted:

I was gonna say "no one makes that kind of gearbox anymore" makes no sense given that these vehicles are sentient beings, but then I thought about it a little more, and it's kind of comparable to a human who needs a donated kidney or something, but just can't find a suitable donor.

Right but unlike the gearbox we can't construct a kidney from scratch. But they clearly have the ability to make a new gearbox but have apparently decided to never do it again, condemning untold individuals to a completely preventable death.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Patattack posted:

Fair enough. But that leads to another question - can these cars die a "natural" death? Old age and whatnot? I would think not, since they're mechanical...So perhaps it's necessary to stop repairing older vehicles in order to prevent overpopulation.

(I have never seen these movies.)

Well, one of the cars from Cars 1 apparently dies of old age between it and Cars 2, but whether or not it was due to something else (gearbox... :colbert: ), we aren't told. But theres another character in Cars 1 who is like a rickety old oldsmobile who, as far as I can tell, was built old? What the gently caress these movies are ruining me :psyduck:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Was it Doc Hudson? Paul Newman got real busy not being alive between the two films, so they had to find a way to explain why his character wasn't in the sequel

Yeah it was Doc Hudson. That makes a lot of sense from a real life perspective at least.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Slime posted:

How would the cars/planes even get repaired? THEY DON'T HAVE loving HANDS.

In Cars 1 some RV's are apparently using a barbecue and what appears to beer-cans. :derp:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Memento posted:

Slightly annoying in the GoT finale that after they did the R + L = J reveal, they go straight from a front-end shot of the baby to a front on shot of Jon SnowTargaryan. Yes, we understand who that was, you didn't need to cram it so hard down our throats.

Also thank gently caress they finally confirmed that, I had serious blueballs.

That part totally owned, gently caress you. I seriously had goosebumps all the way down to my taint during that scene :stare:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I want to gently caress your dad.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kramdar posted:

What if the acid hit the dirt and then dissolves the ground all the way to the other side of the planet, creating a giant crater hole? Then the planet would fall out of orbit because there might be a crazy wind tunnel that is created from it and starts ricocheting around that planetary system. And then at the end of the movie it pulls back to a wider shot and ends in the same way that the first MIB movie did?

:rznv:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My irrationally irritating movie moment about John Wick is that it ended.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Polaron posted:

They tried the sniper thing in the second movie. The sniper accidentally took out his girlfriend instead.

Because the sniper inexplicably takes the shot while they are driving instead of like, when Bourne is taking a dump or sitting outside at a cafe.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I don't understand the bivolo reference :classiclol:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Thor (and Norse myth in general) is only well-known in the public consciousness because of Marvel making him a superhero. Thor was actually chosen because Stan Lee figured people were too familiar with the Greek gods and he wanted something more obscure.

gently caress you.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

donquixotic posted:

I was watching an episode of Narcos and a lady was smoking a filter-tipped cigarette and did the thumb and forefinger nails to the tongue movement.

Now I'm no fancy big city smoker but it seems to me that what people are doing normally when they do that is plucking a bit of loose tobacco from their tongue because they are smoking hand-rolled cigarettes.

So this actress is doing something completely pointless as what? An affectation? Or does she just not know why people touch their tongues while smoking

maybe she got something on her tongue dude :stare:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gaunab posted:

I've noticed in some movies/shows when they film a passionate/rough love scene it follows a pattern: two characters are making out rubbing their hands all over each other until the guy turns the girl around(their pants are always around their ankles at this point), bends her over and begins to thrust for like 20 seconds until they have a breathy orgasm.

Turn on your monitor.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is a movie I was convinced for many years was a figment of my fevered dreams of yore until I randomly spotted it on a streaming service last year.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I hope you're not implying that movie is bad.

Escusi!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gordon Shumway posted:

Wayne Pygram's probably used to all that from playing Scorpius on Farscape, though.

Oh my god

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

One thing that annoyed the poo poo out of me from The Force Awakens was how they go to great length to let the audience know that the new stormtroopers (and new order personnel in general???) are literally abducted as children and indoctrinated into giving their lives for the order. Seems kinda grim while also being completely retarded. I know it's star wars and things should be ever so slightly retarded, but I think this is just bad loving writing. Makes the bad faction seem needlessly shallow. Maybe its just me but the kinda same thing annoyed me about the prequels, how having the enemies be completely expendable robots made everything the good guys (the clones, which are a whole other ethical problem in themselves) did completely inconsequential and as a result the story and setting as a whole was hurt.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I loving loved it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I have one for Frozen.

So at the end of the movie, we find out that Elsa can control and even reverse her power by expressing happiness/joy. Well during the whole Let it Go song, she seems pretty loving happy, why doesn't she accidentally end up reversing some ice stuff and discover that ability much earlier?

Shes hatefucking that song

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bates posted:

People who want that are wrong. The originals were fun space adventures for children with likable characters and that's not a high bar to pass when you have the resources of Disney available. Yet, they didn't.

I think they did and R1 and Force Awakens were both rad as hell.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lol if you don't jerk people off when they're flatlining smdh

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BuddyChrist posted:

Encylopedia of Arda (basically wikipedia for all things Tolkien) has a section on Balrogs and discusses, in depth, if they had wings

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive through

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

We have no legs to stand on criticizing AT-AT troop transports when we have Ospreys.

Imagine being the largest defence contractor for the galactic empire. Osprey mark 40000, carrying thousands of stormtroopers to their deaths at a time

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's astounding to me that there are some jerks out there who weren't aware how incredibly important a good kill/death ratio is to top tier surgeons

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Funnily enough die hard was called operation skyscraper over here.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

In the marvel cinematic universe Norway was razed to the ground by frost giants in like 1100 AD so I dont even know what the gently caress theyre going for.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Guys guys! I also have an irrationally irritating moment about Ed Sheerans cameo in GoT. I spent almost the entire episode waiting for Ed and his friends to die horribly, I mean for fucks sake Arya meets the only nice Lannisters in the world and the one guy eve goes like "my wife gave birth to our child Ive never seen it cos Im at war man I wish I was home" and none of them loving died! I'll be irrationally pissed off if they dont get an elaborate death scene sooner or later.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Someone said something about the Flash taking a poo poo at light speed before going off to fight the bad guy and for the past ten minutes Ive been laughing, the image of the time frozen turds hovering silently above the water and then when the Flash turns off the speedforce the turds hit the bottom of the bowl at like .99 lightspeed, instantly vaporising the neighborhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The heroic leader dwarf is not the one the elf has the hots for, that dwarf dies a sexless loser in the third film.