Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

IMJack posted:

Auto insurance carriers in Texas have 100% windshield coverage I believe as a matter of state law. Windshield repair companies will push you to get small chips repaired at no cost to you because then they have your insurance carrier over a barrel.

It was the same when I lived in Massachusetts.

Travelers of Massachusetts posted:

Massachusetts law now requires glass repair where the damages are minor and fall outside the critical viewing area, including a crack of 6 inches or less, a stone break (commonly called "bulls-eye"), and star breaks, which are less than one inch in diameter.

Pennsylvania, not so much. I can't imagine its actually available anywhere where it is not required by law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I would like an AeroPress but the ol' ball and chain is concerned by the BOILING WATER AND PLASTIC CANCER RISK :byodame:

Seriously, just buy it anyway. Its like $20 and is awesome. Its quicker than a french press and way easier to clean. You can also get your beans ground (or grind them yourself) finer.

Toast Museum posted:

You might be in luck, then, because you're supposed to use below-boiling water for the Aeropress. I mean, I think the plastic could take it, but it's supposed to make up for the lower temperature with higher pressure to pull less bitterness from the grounds.

Yup, I use water that is ~180-190 for my aeropress, but I have definitely used water at a full on boil before when I was playing around with it to figure out exactly what I liked best. It's also dishwasher safe, so I doubt the boiling water is going to ruin it.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

bowser posted:

Jaybirds Bluebuds wireless headphones. Hopefully they don't suck!

I have the cheaper version these (The Freedom) for the Gym and they are pretty great, so I can only imagine the higher end ones are too. They are comfortable, stay in, and I only charge them once a week.

The only time I ever have an issue is when I ride my bike outside and keep my phone in my pocket, the bluetooth can get a little spotty.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Coffee And Pie posted:

Don't ride your bike with earbuds in.

And wear a goddamn helmet.

I only wear the earbuds when I'm riding on the bike trail near my house. I'm not riding around cars with earbuds in, that would be nuts (although I see people do it all the time). I haven't ridden without a helmet since I was like 14.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had VHS copies of all of the concerts (except Rome) and they were all well played.

"In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

AlexF posted:

Welp, thanks for shaming anyway, I guess?! :)

Like I said, I'm aware of the shortcomings and alternatives, but these things make the world go away by pushing one button. Even if there's no music playing at that moment. The cheaper Beats don't do that (and sound pretty bad) and I have yet to try a closed set that closes a 100% and doesn't make my ears sweat like they're doing cardio. So Bose it is for now.

I travel alot and I've tried many different Active Noise Cancelling headphones (including Beats and the older Bose QC15s), and I just bought a pair of the new Bose QC25s ones. The NC and Comfort are top notch. Yeah the sound quality is meh, but they are at least as good as even the nicer Beats. My brother borrowed my bose ones when his Beats Executives crapped out and went out and bought the Bose ones to replace the Beats. Seriously the NC is that good.

I have other cans for use at home, but honestly the "gently caress off world button" and the fact that I can wear them for 10 hours comfortably is worth every penny.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Steves Asleep posted:

If you're going to be making single coffees I can definitely recommend getting an Aeropress. I bought a second one recently that I use at the office.

Seconded! I love my aeropress.

I just bought a 8-Cup Chemex though because I got sick of making making 2 cups when the wife wants coffee too in the morning.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

One tank driving experience at Drive-a-Tank

Holy poo poo...thats amazing. I really wish there was a place close to Philly to do that, but the closest I see is in Georgia.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Ema Nymton posted:

I bought a box of Better Cheddars recently because they were on clearance for $1 and I vaguely remembered them being good.

How did I ever forget how loving awesome these things are? :aaa: Better than cheese Nips, better than Goldfish, better than Cheez Its. These are so great.

Oh god I want these now!

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

squeee posted:

Neither! It's silly choice on the school's part since the official colours are cherry and white.
:shrug:

I just paid Temple a ton of Money too! :suicide101:

Sportman has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Sep 19, 2015

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

Every time I see American tuition I can't help but pull this face :stare:

I will never ever complain about the 5k a year I spent for my BA at a good school here in Ontario.

To be fair, this is for dental school, but my undergraduate degree wasn't much cheaper.

Snorkzilla posted:

What is instrument management?

Sterilization and stuff. Everything comes out of a central sterilization department. We check out what we need for each patient then return it at the end of the appointment to get cleaned.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Eccles posted:

If you have Spotify on your phone then you already have one. There are several white noise, rainfall, etc. albums available. Other streaming music services probably have similar.

I never thought about using Spotify, but there are also plenty of apps.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

baram. posted:

different earpads i saw recommended which are hopefully more comfy.

thanks cyber monday.

Tell me more, I absolutely love those headphones, but they could definitely be more comfortable if I'm wearing them for more than a 1-2 hours.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

My Sonicare from Black Friday 2008 is finally dying. The Sweet Home says I should get an Oral B: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/bes...ric-toothbrush/

Half of me is scared to switch, and the other half has been brainwashed by Sonicare marketing. #1 dentist recommended brand!

I'm in dental school, Oral-B and Sonicare both came to our school and gave us a big sales pitch and free samples of their top of the line models. Oral-B had a bunch of studies where their brush out performed Sonicare, and you could tell they were really trying to fight against the head start Sonicare has in the marketing department. Honestly, most of the independent research shows that if you have proper brushing technique (you probably don't) and brush for a full 2 minutes each time (you probably don't) a manual toothbrush is just as good as any fancy one. The power ones usually have a timer, and just brushing for the 2 full minutes is going to put you ahead of the manual.

That said....I used my Sonicare for 3 years until it finally bit the dust, so I just started using the Oral-B one. I hate it and my wife switched back to a manual toothbrush. It's really loud and I feel like it's not doing as good of a job. I'm hoping it breaks soon so I can justify paying for a Sonicare.

If you like your Sonicare, just get a new Sonicare.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

I've been thinking of getting one of these.

They can do the sealing without the vacuuming?

Any buying tips?
Unless you want a bunch of useless attachments (or want to use it for canning) just buy a cheap one. At the low end, they are all pretty much the same. I absolutely love mine, it was like $30 and still sucks (in the good way) 2 years in.

Buy the rolls in bulk on amazon.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Switch is worth the price of admission for Super Mario Oddessy and Breath of the Wild being some of the best games I've ever played, but there is such a plethora of incredible games for PS4 & XB1, you might as well get all three.

If you get XB1, definitely get:

Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall 2
Shadows of Mordor
Doom
Fallout 4
Wolfenstein New Order (the sequel was meh)
Assassin's Creed Black Flag & Origins

PS4
Spider Man
Zero Dawn Horizon
Far Cry 4 (5 had such promise, but a half baked, truly awful story)

For what it's worth, I just really like the PS4 as a console a lot more. I resisted getting one for years, being an Xbox fanboy since the first console, but the PS4 is far less infuriating and just so much more pleasant. It doesn't constantly stay on for no reason at all (even if you try shutting it down), it doesn't hit you with a surprise 75 gb update so you can't play your game even in single player, the menus are less nonsensical, the controller doesn't have a white light shining in your eye, even the startup tones are relaxing and pleasant. I'm converted, I far prefer the PS4 for all the little things that just make it a better experience.

E: For content, bought a half day Whitewater rafting trip with Cantrell's in the New River Gorge (WV)

I bought a (discounted from ebay) Switch, played through Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, then sold everything for maybe a $20-30 loss. It is definitely worth it for those 2 games alone.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, he's not making a forum-wide announcement of it or anything because he has depression/Catholic guilt preventing him from actually asking for help. It would be helpful to have the situation and donation links neatly laid out in one place, but he's not gonna do it.

I'll copy the tweet thread I made about it last night, though. That's close enough.

drat, I also had no idea this was happening. Tossed some money at keepin this place alive.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

Bought a bunch of wall arts and some other stuff at the Renegade craft fair in Austin this past weekend.

Like this cool Soundscape thing (yes that's the song I bought I like it let's fight!)

This is awesome.

Subjunctive posted:

I’m never going to top this anniversary gift.

Shamelessly stealing this thought.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

New (to me) bike

Instead of a regular gear setup it has a CVT, so it's stepless. Instead of numbers on the selector there's this guy

https://i.imgur.com/eDgUF5l.gifv

I had it in my loungeroom giving it a good clean, seeing what needed fixing/lubing, listening to some music, just getting lost in the process and then I though "Oh ok, I understand bike guys now".

Will this be the start of a slippery slope?

This is super cool, tell me more!

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Um the noises and lights all mean something. If it is beeping it is trying to tell you something, usually something you should know.

Why would you want to mute a microwave? It only beeps when you press buttons or its letting you know its done heating your food :confused:

When mine finishes it keeps beeping until you open the door. I really wish I could mute it or just have it beep once. It’s really annoying if I’m busy with something else in the kitchen.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Anova Precision Oven arrived 18 hours too late to help with Thanksgiving dinner, so it’s helping with leftovers.

Need a trip report please.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

colas posted:

Reminds me of my dad getting a seat (the butt part) from the Orange Bowl where University of Miami played football. Anyone else have a piece of something?

I have 2 seats from Veteren's Stadium (where the Eagles and Phillies played before they build their own parks). Very cool, but very uncomfortable.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Brother Tadger posted:

Same. All of my socks are darn tough and it such a quality of life upgrade.

Slowly replacing all of my socks with Darn Tough. Their lifetime warrantly is legit too. I wore a hole in one of mine after 4 or 5 years (I wear them around the house all day without shoes), and they let me pick out a new pair real easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

A few questions:

-I'm a size 13 in sneakers but 12 in dress shoes which puts me right on the border of L and XL. What size should I get?

-Are boot and crew basically the same thing? Is there any real difference between models? Should I just get whatever pattern/color I like that has more wool?

Im a 12.5 in most sneakers and 12 in dress shoes, and I get L.