Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
This time around I was at A-Kon with Snow White and Kiki

My Zoidberg Jesus seemed to be a big hit.

And here's some of my other favorites:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

LoonShia posted:

Could he sing, too?

He was actively singing at the top of his lungs when I took the picture. It was loving great.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Yes, yeeeeeeeees, this is such a welcome change from boring Who chat. Everyone go play some XCOM right now. And if you've already played too much XCOM, download the Long War mod and play that.

For content, my friend's Malon:

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Irish Joe posted:

I'll never understand why people dress as the most obscure or ironic character they can find instead of a character they actually like. The dozen people who recognize Robbie at Comic-Con can't be worth the hundreds of hours it took to make that costume.

Dude, I cosplay as obscure, ironic characters that I also actually like. They're not mutually exclusive. See my Zoidberg Jesus earlier in the thread, which despite appearing for about 5 seconds in a single episode, was the MOST recognized/popular cosplay I've ever done. Even if people don't know your reference, if it's unique and cool looking people will appreciate it.

Also, that Robbie costume is the loving bomb and I would have given that guy a high five.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Hey, guess what, Luigi Death Stare is cool and both of those Buus are cool. Let's stop arguing about whether or not they're cool.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Yashuntafun posted:

Self posting my Chief Chocowacker/Chocoporter from FFXIV cosplay that I made for AWA last weekend:

Holy poo poo, all of the awesome cosplayers I follow are Goons! How can you all be so good at making things?

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

DoctorWhat posted:

What I wanted to say but with way more lucidity.

You're alright in my book, DoctorWhat.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Wow, a bunch of new posts in the cosplay thread, there must have been a big con or something. This is gonna be great!

Oh.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Was at PAX South last week!

Some friends and I did a Monaco group

And one of my buddies was Captain N on another day

Some other great cosplay I saw:

Johnny Bravo

Mario and Luigi

Richard

Tingle

Central Officer Bradford

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Colonial Air Force posted:

How would the bow stay curved if it were unstrung? It would have to be a fake bow at that point, right?

Depending on the specific bow shape, the curve on the limbs might not be coming strictly from the tension on the string. Recurve bows at least curve in and then back out as part of their construction whether strung or not.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Lord Frisk posted:

She could have put more work into the costume though. That's mediocre work at best. At least pin the gloves so they look like they fit.

What're you two trying to accomplish here? Like, for reals. Is there an unspoken mark of quality you expect out of the something awful dot com Cosplay Photos Thread that's not being met? Do you think she's reading the thread and will take your constructive criticism to heart? Is it just a goon thing since it's hard to argue in here about what is and is not cosplay (like in the Schadenfreude thread), we resort to arguing about what is and is not GOOD cosplay? Who cares?

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Continuing my trend of obscure cosplays, I was at Anime Matsuri this past weekend.

Resident Evil 4 Merchant

With my friends.

Jubilee and Pixie

Catwoman and Black Cat

Saw lots of other rad people too.

Cloud

Robin

Scarecrow

Vincent Brooks

Witch Doctor

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Hey, I was there too! You know you're at the right con when there are multiple cosplaying corgis in attendance.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Here's AX photos

I was Bigby

And my friends were Spell Fencers one day

And Spider-Gwen and Gum the other

Saw a lot of awesome people!

Max

War Boys and Wife

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Eustace Bagge

Lara Croft

Red Guy

Alex Louis Armstrong

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Bitter Mushroom posted:

why would a married man watch a show for children?

Why would adults play dress-up and then post in a thread their favorite examples of adults playing dress-up?

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Mr E posted:

Also colored contacts are annoying as hell to wear and I can't imagine they would be fun to wear every day for shoots. Maybe something added post would work.

Tell that to Brent Spiner.

In fact, there's one episode where they forgot to put in his contacts before filming a scene and you see his actual blue eyes and it's loving WEIRD.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Atmus posted:

That was an episode where Worf kept getting batted around alternate realities with differences including that, or Wesley Crusher being in the command staff.

Huh, I always thought it was a production error, but yeah, now remembering which episode it is that's pretty obvious. Still unnerving looking.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

RareAcumen posted:

It's not that people like stuff it's that it's stuff you don't see the appeal of and would like someone who enjoys it to chime in on why people like it.

I mean, they're games with a lot of characters that have very different aesthetics, so it's easy for anyone to find something unique looking that they like. That's pretty much as perfect as it gets for cosplay material. There's not really more to explain.

Just so I'm not just continuing a derail, I love this picture of Yaya and am thinking of doing something similar.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Choco1980 posted:

an even worse businessman

Liefeld has more money than God. Terrible artist, sure, but I think he's doing all right.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

There's a lot to like here but I'm losing my poo poo over this right now:

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

This is a terrible Kurt Cobain costume!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

veedubfreak posted:

Gets giant implants, displays them prominently, whines that people stare at them.

Checks out.

I'm willing to give Yaya the benefit of that doubt that the comments she's talking about are not nearly as banal and benign as, "You have boobs and I am looking at them."

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

veedubfreak posted:

I'm singling Yaya out specifically on this one. I watched that stupid show she was on and she SPECIFICALLY got giant implants so that she would get ogled more. It's like a dude tattooing a dong on their forehead and getting pissed people stare at it.

I'm sure you're just being intentionally obtuse, but in case you're not, I don't think she's talking about being ogled. She's probably talking about people leaving comments along the lines of, "Oh man, you've got such big juicy tits, I'd love to titty rape them and cum all over your whore face." Stuff like that.

I'd probably go so far as to say even actual literal whores don't deserve that kind of explicit harassment on social media, so whatever boob related intent she has and how much she puts them on display is totally immaterial.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just wait until the Google deep dream cosplays start.

I've got bad news.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
It's that time again, I went to PAX South with a Mario Tennis group

I was Waluigi

And there were a bunch of other cool people

Rivens

Bebop and Rocksteady

King Dedede

Cloud

Barry and Jill

Hawke

Casey Jones

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

VendaGoat posted:

I'm not familiar with the source material, but I still love this. :allears: indeed

Avatar: The Last Airbender is genuinely great. If you like cartoons it's worth a watch.

Also, that is a good group full of cool people. I especially like Jet's googly eyes.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Snatch Duster posted:

Pretty good viking cosplay

Solid Its Always Sunny Dee cosplay

I love it when famous people cos play. here is cumberbatch and iron man's friend cosplaying characters from Dungeons & Dragons 2000 movie.

Why hasn't this jackass been banned for threadshitting yet?

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
I cannot believe Snatch Duster's behavior is going unpunished

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

duz posted:

It's an anime now, no reading required. Well, except the subs. That is, if you care about the plot and not the "plot".

ftfy

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Forti posted:

I also followed the point of that post with no trouble. These people are simpletons.

The best thing about modern wrestling is the New Day and their gaming channel they have on youtube where they shave nerdy journalists and beat other wrestlers at Windjammers

It's not that their point is hard to follow, it's that they're coming out of the gate pretty strongly defending the right for women to cosplay as whatever the gently caress they want, an argument that the non-idiots in this thread already fully agree with. You can post cosplay without feeling the need to pre-emptively defend your right to post it or the cosplayer's right to wear it.

Except Snatch Duster, they have to defend their right to post because they're awful.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
All right, serious question here. Is there another thread that I should go to where people post cosplay pictures of either themselves or others? Am I actually in the "Write essays critiquing cosplay" thread or the "Snatch Duster is a giant unfunny shithead" thread and I just don't realize it? Like, I'll happily go elsewhere if we're just resigned to this thread being a cesspool, or maybe we can add like a "you have to post a goddamn cosplay picture" rule like the Funny Pictures thread had?

In accordance with my own rule, I got a picture at AX of this great female Junkrat!

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
My friends and I were at AX where we did mostly repeats outfits and a few new ones.

Yukihira Soma and Todokoro Megumi

Waluigi and Daisy

Haruko Haruhara

Zoidberg Jesus

Twelfth Doctor

Got a bunch of pictures of other people who rocked too.

Barret

Centorea

Chun Li

Overwatch

Rosalina

SA Creation Slenderman

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Kramjacks posted:

There's one big nail on each hand.

TWO big nails

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

McPantserton posted:

^^yeah this thread is..... something.

You Maniacs! You blew it up! drat you! drat you all to hell!

I really gotta catch up on my backlog in the Cosplay Creation Thread so I can see all the neat stuff you all're working on, but jumping forward would mean I'll miss stuff like McKilligan's awesome and very informative Artorias build from a few years ago. I've yet to really take a crack at armor building and it's helping me even now.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

I know the thread has already moved on, but in the hopes of somehow blunting Snatch Duster's tirade, I wanted to also say how loving awesome this chick is.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

McPantserton posted:

I managed to royally gently caress up and sand off my entire left index fingerprint

Oh no! Do you not wear something like these : https://www.amazon.com/LiviMate-Resistant-Protection-Comfortable-Performance/dp/B00QV05CB0/

After seeing what Nigri did to her fingers making Deathwing I picked up a pair before even going near a belt sander. They're great, you still have all the dexterity but they're basically invincible!

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

The Locator posted:

No no no... Do not EVER wear gloves while working with rapidly spinning power tools. Please.

If you stick your bare finger on the sanding disk, you lose some skin. If your glove gets caught in the sanding disk... umm... just Google image search 'de-gloving'.

Those cut resistant gloves are designed for working with sharp hand tools like chisels or razor blades, not for power tools which will grab the glove and ruin your entire hand or worse.

I kinda feel like this is a case of you and I just talking about totally different kinds of power tools, but I'm not gonna die on the "you won't get de-gloved doing this" hill. I rescind my advice. The particular stationary belt-sander and set of gloves I use I'm confident I won't end up with anything loose catching in rotating parts, however I can't speak for all tools, so use at your own risk.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Am I the only one that sees the irony in jumping directly from a derail assuming I'm some moron directly feeding my hair into a spinning lathe to a derail about how peace bonding is dumb because, whatever, I'm sure we can just assume people are being responsible with their potential edged and bludgeoning weapons.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

YES! I saw a handful of people doing the lights wall + mom cosplay at DragonCon, and these two definitely pulled it off the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
I went pretty casual at DragonCon as Coach Joker and and Ping Pong Mei with my friend who was Exercise Harley and Poison Ivy!

Got pictures of some other cool people:

Business Fish

Goblin King

Holy Grail Crew

Mayor McCheese

Samus

Motorized Patriot

Strike Commander Morrison

• Locked thread