Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

A price cut has to be like the main thing about their conference. But slashing the price means removing the Kinect and then they'd have to admit that forcing Kinect on people was a mistake. I wonder if they can overcome their pride on that.

Preparing the 2nd post made me realize that "the games of E3" are hardly ever the games that everyone ends up loving and it makes me want to look at past E3s to compare the super-hyped games of those years and what their final metacritic score was.

Remember all those 3DS games that came out last year that weren't even at E3 2012 the year prior? Made even better because they had a forty-minute mini-conference that night that talked about everything for the 3DS but the cool games.

Like gently caress, what was that loving thing they spent time on? The thing they commissioned for the 3DS Nintendo Video app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
C'mon guys be nice to Geoff. The horse he backed this year for his "Final Hours of..." e-book app hasn't exactly set the world on fire yet and Game Trailers might be getting sold off from Viacom at some point in the near future maybe we don't know yet.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I love YouTube.

Then do I have the blast from days of E3 past for you.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
By the way I found the magic moment I was talking about from the E3 2012 3DS showcase.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This will also be the first year without Adam Sessler reporting on the show floor isn't it?

What a long, strange trip it's been for him.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Apparently Mass Effect 4 might be announced at E3. Do people even like that series anymore? Didn't that franchise go south really quickly? Or is this a case of EA just not having much of a plan other than Sequels Sequels Sequels!!!!

Rumors about Sony's conference leaking today, could be a hoax, who knows:

- Media Molecule is working on a VR game for Project Morpheus
- Sony Japan debuting multiple titles, one of which is Project Beast
- Uncharted 4 to get "in-engine" 3 minute trailer

The rest sounded like complete and utter fanfiction so that's all I'll transcribe. I wonder if Media Molecule will ever develop a game that's actually as fun to play as it looks.

Is Ninja Theory coming back to make a sequel to Heavenly Sword really the type of thing that periodically ends up on fan wishlists though?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Nintendo's big E3 reveal: a Skylanders knockoff

When you buy the GBA version of Mario 3 on Virtual Console years from now scanning a Mario figure on the portal will add all those e-reader levels we never got that it turns out they had this whole time on cards that never got mass produced.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Captain Matchbox posted:

nah, i just want doritos pope to be followed around with a camera for 48 hours or so, unscripted and candid, no sleep. if he had to take a dump he could use that time wisely to talk about titanfall 2 and maybe joke about 'dropping a titan'.

That moment with Joel at the VGX was pretty much the most unscripted he's ever been. Assuming he really was getting pissed when Joel asked him if he was actually going to play and enjoy the games he showcased there and it wasn't some scripted joke.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Everything's eventually going to just look like Minecraft anyway.

Tapping into the memes huh. It's about time those t-shirt kiosks in the mall got a taste of competition. Someone somewhere is going to pay money to be a cat macro in a video game and I can't wait for this exciting future.

Memes are big business now. There's an entire section on the Xbox 360 avatar marketplace for you to dress up as your favorite meme.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Halo 5 isn't until 2015? what the heck big title does Xbox One have for this year? They're more and more like Wii U every day.

Except Wii U has Mario 3D World and Tropical Freeze which are cool.

Halo 2 HD, which will go beyond what Wind Waker HD did and give us the levels Bungie cut a decade ago.

Even though it'd probably contradict what happens in Halo 3 and make no sense.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Electromax posted:

What are they gonna talk about for 90 minutes if it's Majora's Mask?

It's a Q&A session where the Zelda producers are presented fan theories on the world of Majora's Mask and give each individual theory either a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Beatles Rock Band would later kiiiind of fail at retail and pretty much started the decline of the "Plastic Musical Instruments"-genre.

Like I know people love to lambast Michael Pachter for saying some stupid poo poo, but the popularity of the game was one of the times he was dead wrong at calling something:

quote:

The Beatles: Rock Band, Viacom Inc.'s highly anticipated and pricey video game based on the music of the biggest-selling rock band of all time, drew a healthy but hardly standing-room-only crowd.

In September, its first month in release, the game sold 595,000 units in the U.S., according to the NPD Group.

That's bigger than the first month sales of either 2007's Rock Band or 2008's Rock Band 2, but far below the best launches in the genre and some analysts' estimates.

2007's Guitar Hero III, for instance, sold 1.4 million units in its first six days on sale in October 2007.

Analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan Securities had estimated that The Beatles: Rock Band would sell 1.3 million units last month. Jesse Divnich, director of analyst services for Electronic Entertainment Design and Research (EEDAR), estimated the game would sell 1 million units.

But Anita Frazier, an analyst at NPD, said initial sales for The Beatles: Rock Band were "very strong."

You can kind of see why Microsoft headlined their show with The Beatles seeing how a lot of people in the industry weren't only guessing it would sell well, but also hoping it would so that the rivalry between Rock Band and Guitar Hero would continue, to make money for both sides.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

If you wanna know more about the Milo demo, Polygon (yeah I know) posted a lengthy article about it a year ago, where some Lionhead staffers claimed it was 60 percent complete and others basically insinuate it was all bullshit, some claimed it was a full game project, and others claimed it was just a tech demo. The E3 demo, notably, was completely faked, as the girl in the video is acting in front of a pre-recorded video (sound familiar? Microsoft would do this a lot with Kinect demos).

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/3/21/4063508/milo-and-kate

I wanna bring up my favorite piece of on-stage E3 tech demo vaporware that may or may not have been either bullshit or an actual thing in development.

Everybody usually has a favorite part about Sony's E3 2005 press conference, whether it's the FF VII tech demo, the Killzone 2 thing, even the PS3 version of the ducks in the bath is something people remember.

But hardly anybody seems to recall Eyedentify.

It wasn't focused so much on the system graphics as much as what developers could do with games and how players could interact.

The premise of course being that YOU TOO can both interact with and command your personal duo of action-anime girls.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I said come in! posted:

The MAG servers shut down like two years ago by the way.

Playstation Home is still going strong, I think. The Playstation Youtube channel hasn't updated with any Home content since the start of the new year, presumably because it was always derided by most of the people subscribed.

Lemme just do a quick search to see if there's still any content being made and...oh yeah there's still stuff being added.

At least buying stuff in Home makes more sense than buying crap for your 360 avatar.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Skychrono posted:

I much prefer the 360 avatar stuff because I can play as him/her in games like Doritos Crash Course. I can't do anything in Playstation Home without constant shame and lag.

Look all I'm saying is that my favorite Playstation Home moment was walking around that main courtyard plaza place dressed up as Dan Hibiki, but thanks to Home letting you make actual obese avatars I was FAT Dan Hibiki and was able to make a dude who was randomly exploring Home go into a laughing fit.

It was worth the price that costume cost.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Random Stranger posted:

Also, let's pretend for a moment that Destiny is a super smash hit. For some reason that isn't evident from what we know about it, the game catches the world on fire. You're looking at 20 million sales in that case. This isn't going to happen for a lot of reasons, but we're going into the land of Activision's wet dreams. $300 million is a lowball of the marketing budget, I've heard it's closer to $360 million, but let's go with that number. In this event they have spent $15 dollars per sale on marketing. The return on a copy sold of Destiny is going to be about $15.

Some people might see this as a fundamental flaw in Activision's plan. They might note that the return on dollars spent on marketing drops off sharply past a certain point. They might also point out that even if it's a smash hit and launches a huge franchise and leads to unprecedented DLC sales that Activision might be writing down some losses on this project.

These people are fools. Can't they see that Destiny's budget is actually a very elaborate suicide attempt? That Activision faced with the mortality of their Call of Duty franchise and depressed that Skylanders is a success that they don't actually want is attempting to end it all? And who are we to tell a company that they cannot end their life. Let's respect their decision and let them put everything into Destiny.

Who's going to make the next Crash Bandicoot game then?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

They all follow scripts, except for McHale who freelanced half his poo poo because he didn't feel like looking at the teleprompter. But he had a teleprompter too.

I don't think Geoff was prepared for that specific question Joel asked him about if he was actually excited/actually going to play any of the games he was hocking at the end of the VGX show and had to stop thinking about it otherwise it would lead to an internal crisis.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I might add some stuff. I of course knew who companies like Crytek and Daedalic were (I still have to finish Deponia 3), but like. Exeo. Bloober Team. Gioteck. All sounds like some guy being asked to make up a bunch of company names all at once.

Just think of how many companies shut down in the last ten years with names like those that used to populate Kentia Hall.

If only Kickstarter had been a thing last decade a bunch of them might still be here with us.

Also talking about gaming media that have their own booths brings back memories of G4 still being a thing and offered permanent{?) tattoos at the convention one year.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 22, 2014

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Cautionary words to note should you go to E3 and decide to use the bathrooms near the Nintendo booth:

quote:

i've met/talked with charles martinet at least five times over the last decade. he's a super nice guy, but mario is sort of part of him. one time i was playing nsmbw at the nintendo booth with him and two other people, and he made mario sounds throughout. last year he kinda went 'wahoo!' to himself as he threw away a paper towel after washing his hands as we crossed paths when i went into the men's room.

but like i said, very nice guy. he's always happy to take pictures with people and sign things.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

raditts posted:

No doubt "voice of Mario" is the kind of career path that will take a toll on your sanity after 20+ years.

That's why SEGA changes the voice over cast for Sonic every half-decade. Otherwise the process becomes irreversible. Just look at Mike Pollock, he might never not be Eggman again after doing it for so long.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Kuso Meriken posted:

At the time HR came out I was ravenous for that "style" of game even if I didn't like some of the design (no real melee!). Between that and the new Thief I really hate whatever engine that studio is using for these types of games, doesn't seem to mesh well.

Once Dishonored came out that became my new modern favorite of that style of game (free knockouts for everyone!) and enjoyed the "feel" of it way more than HR. If HR had come out after Dishonored I probably would have also had a hard time getting into it.

I'm a sucker for first person exploration-centric games, except I'm somehow immune to the Elder Scrolls series. I thought Skyrim was OK. This is why my body craves a new Fallout. I know it's probably going to be bug ridden and clunky as hell but I just want to pump my coversation skills and talk my way through whatever weird situations they make.

Y'know they don't even need to feed us any bullshit when they finally do show off Fallout 4 in the future. All they need to do in a live-demo is show us that they fixed the problem were your AI companions steal your rare foods and drinks from your refrigerator even if it's likely to kill them.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Harlock posted:

The 360 version will probably be better

Sumo is supposed to be making Sega All-Stars Racing 3 though.

I guess this'll give them time to think of what possible SEGA characters are still left for them to include.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Ben Kuchera wasn't content to just simply get a single fanbase riled up at him yesterday, now he's seemingly trying to get as many people as possible upset at him this week:

quote:

E3 has problems. The atmosphere can be unwelcoming to women and punishing to anyone who has issues with crowds or noise. It’s an imperfect, expensive show that often drives home just how loud, gaudy and violent the video game industry can be.

For all of those issues, many of which need to be fixed for the industry to truly move forward, it’s still one of the most exciting weeks of our year. Especially when you leave behind the expo hall and barely dressed women throwing energy drinks at you.

What people leave out when they talk about the cost of the show and the type of games that enjoy the focus of the industry, retail buyers and even the press is the social value of simply being there. The idea of cozy industry parties at hotel bars may seem like something that benefits the press more than it benefits readers, but those moments are where the real work is done.

The features you enjoy, the in-depth interviews you want to read, and the informed work that comes from your favorite sites will often start at a conversation at a bar during an event like E3. Every conversation at E3 is an opportunity to find and share information about the industry and games we all love, and that's why we go. The giant video screens are a distraction from the real work, not a part of it.

"I hope our readers realize how much work schmoozing takes."

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Astro Nut posted:

I'm calling fake, but just what the heck is 'Nintendo U' supposed to be?

Dating simulator game set in a university.

Will you go after Samus, or try your luck with the captain of the football team Douglas?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

This fucker hanging over you as you enter the convention center

It dispenses memes uploaded from the cloud to all convention goers in real time.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

robot roll call posted:

It shoots Gamefuel from its mouth giving every E3 attendee a welcoming golden shower

No they're saving that feature for when they feature the balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this fall.

The real treasure will be hearing the TV commentators trying to describe exactly what it's from.

Edit: Oh gently caress I thought you were joking but it might actually be dispensing poo poo from up above:

quote:

It's me! Blimp Fizzie! At E3 for all your Overcharge needs! Come say "hi" & get ready for my special surprises. Hehe!

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 5, 2014

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

The official stream should just have them comment over the digital events and interviews like they did by themselves with the Smash Direct two months ago.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

reminder that mass effect 3 literally features a fan fiction tier ninja with hanzo steel who sends you an email that says "hahahaha yuo thought you was good commodore sheppard but I wuz better i beated you and now teh monsters are winnign and killing teh peeple hahahahaha ownd fgt"

At the beginning of last gen games like Mass Effect were vital in showing the world that the west had triumphed over the east in all manner of game design and should be the standard to follow going forward.

Then we end the generation with Kai Leng.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

GameTrailers is doing a Pre-E3 Show with very dubious production values. And I thought CD Projekt Red were running a low budget affair. This looks like it's being recorded in a closet.

http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers

Also their Top 10 anticipated games of E3 went up just a little while ago but I guess they couldn't fix their number three entry in time.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rocketlex posted:

If this is real, I wonder what new, promising studio they acquired to make it and then shutter without warning.

It's weirder because they didn't exactly acquire Superbot as much as Sony formed the study themselves to be an independent second-party studio made up of both new people and people with a Sony Santa Monica background, with the final form of the studio eventually working on PSASBR.

The whole story behind the game's development and what they could/couldn't get seems almost more interesting than the game itself turned out to be.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Symphoric posted:

Dat thousand yard stare...

The console war takes its toll man. No man can see what he has seen and come out the other side the same.

One of the few times he actually seemed legitimately excited for a world-exclusive reveal on his show was when he had a trailer for the then just announced Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust. Dude was a huge fan of the Sierra adventure games of his youth and was so excited to see another LSL title. :unsmith:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Macaluso posted:

I don't own playstation system past 2, but I did watch the Game Grumps play Sony Smash. Aren't there literally two characters that are just "normal rear end dude" and "normal rear end dude's evil normal rear end twin"? Cole whatever from whatever game or something

The developer said it was a mandate from from Sucker Punch, who were higher on the pecking order than the newbie dev.

A similar situation is why there most likely wasn't any Team Ico representation. They didn't want any of their stuff in the game so there wasn't a trace.

Even though...y'know they seemed perfectly fine with Little Big Planet DLC with costumes, sounds and stickers from their games.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CharlestonJew posted:

Sully's gonna die

If God of War 3, Halo 3, MGS4 and maaaaybe the destroy ending of Mass Effect 3 taught me anything, it's that games that advertise themselves as being the final chapter in a series and hint that this might be the final stand for a beloved character, always find a way to work around that problem in the actual game after the credits roll.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rirse posted:

One thing I noticed that was complete bullshit to nobody surprise was this.

Because who honestly wanted a new game?

The same people who were hoping such a new PSASBR would highlight Crash Bandicoot, which would in turn mean that Sony has indeed acquired the rights to him back from Activision.

And lemme tell you there are a few people at least upset Crash didn't show up tonight.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

JordanKai posted:

Especially the fact that it takes Sony slightly longer to fall off than the other two companies.

The flash of Reggie appearing should be replaced with Bendis to make it the most accurate.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TARDISman posted:

Nope, and Smash is mentioned all of once in explaining why it didn't win "Best Wii U Exclusive." Hell, the only two times Nintendo's even on the list is for their console's exclusives.

Y'know they're allowed to have whatever opinion they want, but it sure would be funny if they had peddled the "Ugh another loving Mario game" talking point at any point in any issue that's come out in the last few years while writing opinion columns asking for something new or revived from Nintendo, and then poop out that award for Mario Maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I was wondering when Game Trailers would put up their usual "Best of E3" videos for 2014, then I realized the majority of people working behind the scenes there have more pressing stuff on their minds at the moment. :smith:

• Locked thread