Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alteisen posted:

Its incredibly obvious which chests are mimics now though, they have a different coloration and the chain on the side is facing forward instead of curled up.

They still hit like trucks though.

The chain thing was there in DS1. In DS2 I wore the butterfly wings and checked if the chest started getting poisoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So I know the thread hates Dark Souls chat, but the community is AWFUL. I'm skeptical of how some of the board game mechanics will work, but will back it anyway because I like the game. The comment section on the kickstarter makes me ashamed to be a fan though.

Thankfully the comments on loving Sif ended after the basin addon, but it's so many crappy praise the sun memes and outright creepy comments about priscilla and how so many people want to stroke her "fluffy tail". Where is my precious prissy :( :( :(

gently caress off.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MisterBibs posted:

the developers just whined about it being too hard.

Isn't that what you normally do?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Food and water in subnautica are annoying as heck. I like the idea of them being in the game, but it's hard to get a good consistent food source for how fast your meters drop.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Phlegmish posted:

If you play Chiv in 2016 on any given TO server half the people will be level 50+'s doing all that stuff. I think most of them don't even set out to be 'pro', it just comes naturally from playing for an insane amount of time

Man, I've played Chiv before, but what the hell is up with that FOV?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Inco posted:

Sen's Fortress is the reason I will never replay Dark Souls. I'd rather eat my entire computer than play it again.

I loved sen's fortress. The unfinished lost izalith is what got me. Bloomtown.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Stardew valley. I get there's a mod for it, but I can never find where any of the townspeople are. If they're not in their shop/house I'm completely boned.

Didn't realise I was supoosed to make friends with people either, I just want to chill out and farm a small plot of cauliflowers, making meager amounts of money :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I really like bully and played loads of it in Xbox, but hot drat I'm lucky if I get ten minutes without a crash on PC. Sometimes it's alright, like when I got to beat up santa's elves four times, but I've tried about six times to get through the mission where you run away from the greasers on bikes.

One time I made it to the final cut scene and it crashed :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yardbomb posted:

The EU is/was great exactly because it's stupid and :wtc: , it gives the world some character outside of serious space bushido laserswordmans and desert cantinas.

Forgot what thread I was in and thought suddenly we were talking about Brexit.

I love DOOM, but jesus the updates are insanely large. I want to play arcade mode but I don't want to download 25 gb of crap to do it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Nuebot posted:

Anyway, something that drags games down for me right now is console exclusivity. Especially console exclusive games on consoles I don't have or don't want to play anymore.

This but with lost odyssey for the 360. It really hit the sweet spot of timesink jrpg with good battles for me and I'd love to play it on PC. The short stories were great too. Haven't found any good jrpgs to play on pc, and my xbox is on another continent now :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The villain was brutal, but it had some good writing and a few moments that made me laugh. Really liked the battle system. Are there any decent games like that on PC? I've played trails in the sky, but it didn't really grab me.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Slime posted:

Didn't you also think the super mutants from 3 were better than they were in 1 and 2, AKA basically radioactice orcs vs having actual motivations that aren't RIP AND TEAR..

He did, but It's Misterbibs, man. You just gotta let him go.

Content: I like trails in the sky, but I really wish I could set what tile my characters finish on when I tell them to go attack something. Positioning matters!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The thing dragging down rogue likes for me is that unlike the characters I make, this conversation about them will not permanently die

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved the moment in XIII when you start that one stealth level with the searchlights from the cabin, and I saw a guard stand under the spotlight and belt out a song while foreshadowing the main characters secret identity: "You can flyyyyy! You caaaaaaan flyyyyyy! You can go the distance if ou.. tryyyyyy~! Wait! I remember! His name was Martin Flye!:haw:" :3:

His name was Jason fly!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

oldpainless posted:

I'm like 99.9% sure I wasn't even near my companion when she died

Stop shooting her with arrows then.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Magic origins is dragged down by a lack of squirrel decks. Druid's call on squirrel mob for life.

Actual content: the deck building interface is pretty terrible. Cycling through all the cards so slowly is a real pain, especially when I don't recognise most of them since I haven't played in years.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Agents are GO! posted:

Forget it, 2house2fly, it's Tiggumtown.

What would happen is tiggums got in an argument with misterbibs? :ohdear:

Competitive timeout drags csgo down for me. I kinda get that it's there to prevent smurfs or something, but sometimes I want to shoot mans, and the other game modes aren't as good as competitive.

Stops me from playing too much I guess.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So I posted in the little things thread about psychonauts because it's really quite good, but holy poo poo this oleander circus level is dogshit. The fourth part of the protection bit involves dodging a knife so it gets stuck in a spinning wheel, allowing you to grab on. Pretty clever as a mechanic, but a bitch to get accurate, and in a timer that sends you back to stage one if you fail.

Beat that and I'm on a rail portion now where I can't make the first jump. Come around a corner and hit jump to get over a gap, but you still have momentum from the turn and go loving flying. Rage inducing level at what I'm guessing is near the end of the game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bed of chaos had better and more precise platforming than this loving meat circus level.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

Made further progress on Horizon, found a way past those loving clusters of Seekers, so that's 2/3 camps done. I do like how the collectibles show on the compass with a small cube so that you know to search there for a datalog, that's a nice QoL feature. At the third camp I'll try to remember to set traps before heading to disarm the alarm, I never use those...

Although a new problem, after destroying the alarm at the second camp the backup dudes the war chief placed just sat on their little ridge the entire time. What theb hell do I do to activate them? The first camp they jumped in as soon as the fight properly started but at camp 2 they just sat there even as I moved to fight inches away from them.

Why are you playing new games. Go play aerobiz or Joe & Mac 2 :ohdear:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I enjoy the dirt games and have just stared dirt 3. You unlock new liveries based on reputation points, which is fine. Every team has a bonus condition to get extra reputation which is kind of neat, except each team rewards differing amounts, and one is always over 2k when the rest are 700ish. There's no way to check what the reward condition is before loading the event.

Also, gymkhana blows and shouldn't be in the game. Drift barely gets a pass.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Glukeose posted:

Scholar is like a gaiden version of the base game and has very hostile design. I have seen the normal version of DaS2 at Gamestops near me for like $10 so if you like the series and still want to give it a shot then I'd say go for it. The placement of enemies and consideration for bonfire runs is far easier in the vanilla game.

Unfortunately I don't think that works for steam version. Plus that means shrine of amana classic, doesn't it?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The assassins are basically anarchists and nihilists. Everything is permitted, except for the poo poo that the templars want to do.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

It's amazing just how poorly Mirror's Edge 1 has held up with it's controls. I've played a Free Running game on the PS2 that controlled easier than that (The one I did for Insetik's extreme sport game thread).

What game? I love.mirror's edge, and loved insetik's old thread. I submitted some terrible fanfics for it :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What would be the point of one beer doing nothing though? I don't want to sit and press A to drink beer my way through two pitchers for my character to get drunk. I can do that on my own in real life.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

Just did the penultimate level in Mirror's Edge. Wasn't a fan of climbing the foyer to the gun placement, I found it really buggy - faith would keep pulling herself on top of the vertical pieces of sheet metal and falling off the other end, and a few times it was difficult to see where I was supposed to be going. Also fighting down the other foyer wasn't much fun as there were no good shortcuts, and the sniping mission was just poorly implemented. Better than the boat though. At least I think the only annoying part to go is the infamous server room, but we'll see how the Shard goes.

The server room isn't that bad once you figure out the trick. The outdoor segment before it is worse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beaten Mirror's Edge 1. The final level wasn't nearly as bad as that loving boat, and honestly, neither was the foyer fight at the end of the previous level. I managed the server room on my fourth try and the rooftops beforehand weren't as annoying as I'd expected. Once I knew the direction it was just a matter of cover-to-covering to the end of the roofs.

The server room is a really easy if you run laps around the outside. You only have to break one computer in each quadrant, and the shooty guys will do it for you.

Have you played XIII?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RyokoTK posted:

The height of video games as art is three teenagers ganging up on you and then spamming Point Down when they kill you.

Manly Miner Men was the best gank squad.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm enjoying redout having picked it up on the cheap. It's a fun wipeout/f-zero type game and looks pretty drat nice, but the camera angles make it very hard to see what's coming up, and I haven't found a way to see a track map, like how F-zero X would give you a 3-d line model of the track you were about to race.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

The footage they showed at E3 this year looked awful, it's really slow and generic and the 2.5d graphics look like something out of an asset factory. There's one part in particular where a giant bell falls from the ceiling and turns into what appears to be chunks of delicious milk chocolate upon hitting the ground that made me :ughh: while watching.

e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTVYb6xeUcU

All the animations in that video look terrible as well

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

Every now and then I try to play through Freedom Fighters as I like the structure, but I keep forgetting one thing - at some point areas you've cleared stop remaining cleared. The furthest I ever get involves killing soldiers at and blowing up a helipad, then escaping through the sewers, but whenever I spawn in that area from that sewer all the soldiers are back, the helipad is theirs again and I get shot to death. That really sucks that it doesn't save.

This is an amazing game and I'm upset I lost the discs.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

New Butt Order posted:

While not an RTS I'd absolutely play the poo poo out of an XCOM: Fallout, where you play as a bunch of NCR squaddies blowing each other up and somehow managing to stop the Legion in spite of themselves.

That series already has its upgrade tree based off of stolen/salvaged tech so if Bethesda just licenses the setting to 2K/Firaxis the game will basically make itself.

Isn't that brotherhood of steel or tactics or whatever?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Byzantine posted:

Things dragging 3/NV/4 down: you can no longer target the groin for attacks in VATS.

Didn't a goon do an lp where he only either punched people in the groin or went for the eyes?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MisterBibs posted:

Probably a repeat, but it bugs me out that New Vegas cut out the most logical ending option, where you gently caress off after delivering the chip because you're expressly a Courier who has been pretty much everywhere in the US, this job was just one of many jobs you did, and there's hardly much keeping you here anyway.

poo poo, this is brought up in the last DLC, where your nemesis ascribes Great and Important Things to you delivering stuff to a specific place, when in actual reality it was just deliveries #6363 and #6854.

E: vvv eh, we talked about that before, I know that.

I wouldn't say it bugs me, but that's actually a pretty cool idea. Rocking back to work after killing benny and asking for you next job would be funny.

Didn't Mr. House set you up though? I seem to recall there's more to it than just benny being a dick, so the courier goes beyond just killing benny.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tiggum posted:

I do play them. They're fun. And unlike computer games, they involve actual role-playing. See, a human is able to actually react and adapt the story to the things the characters do, unlike a computer game in which you have to delude yourself into believing that whatever happens somehow fits with whatever character you imagine you're "role-playing" as.

In a pen-and-paper game, if the group decides to do something unexpected then the story can go off in an unexpected direction. In a computer game, if the player does something unexpected then either something breaks or nothing interesting happens because it's a computer game and it can only do what it's programmed to do.

Morrowind definitely let you do whatever.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

rear end creed syndicate is like 42 GB. DOOM is like 70. Even motorsport manager is 15. Games are too big for the pipes we try and download them through and the harddrives we have.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I think all this arguing garners a thread title change. Mostly because the current one came about because of a complaint I made about subnautica ages ago :(

Content: I want to go back and play the first trails in the sky game because my old computer died halfway through, but I don't want to face the combat system where I cant choose my characters patching in fights. Go where I want you to!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

When I play Mario party for too long I get a big blister in the middle of my hand

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SwissDonkey posted:

PYF dragging this game down:

Yakuza 0 doesn't have english dubs, but that might be for the best because the Japanese VA and facial models are actually film and TV actors. It's still annoying sitting a healthy distance from the TV and reading reasonably small subs.

Oh look, I made a quality post but you're still autistic, sorry bro couldn't fix it

Playing Motorsport manager on my phone drains my battery too quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I really like Mario tennis on gameboy. It's a fun sports game, and I like that stats can drop when you put points elsewhere, so it's very hard to get a maxed out character. The thing dragging it down is the silver/gold racket challenge. To get the silver you have to hit a and b 100 times in ten seconds, to get the gold ir's 150 times. But you only get one chance, so if you get 149 you get the silver racket, and can't get the gold. I guess some randomised tournaments would've been fun, too against random palette/stat opponents.

The advance version was kind of ruined by power shots. By the end game your super lava powered offence shot can normally easily be stopped by an opponent. They basically are best used as a defensive tool against an opponent's power shot.