Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I'm looking to start into the tabletop since my FLGS is starting up a slow-grow league.

The league starts with the "Start Collecting" boxes and I'm planning on going with Orks.

The thing is. I have no idea where to go from there. I play Warmachine and Malifaux, so the formations/detachments is totally new to me. I understand the jist of it, but I can't seem to find any outside the two in the Codex.

I'd like to go vehicle heavy, if possible, as modding trukks, battlewagons, and warbikes would be fun from the hobby perspective.

Any tips or directions I should take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Am I missing anything by just buying a mini rulebook off eBay instead of the huge hardcover?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Just had my first real day of play yesterday. My LGS is doing a slow-grow league to build the community. Kind of cool since it alternates between build/paint week and play week.

I'm playing Orks and I spent my day getting my rear end kicked, but all around I had fun. There was a 500pt maximum and I was only able to bring a painboy, 2 small units of boyz, and a nob unit.

Next play week is 750pts and I'm trying to get a list that won't just die completely on turn 1.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does anyone know of some good models that would work for an Ork Weirdboy?

I know there are companies like Kromlech that do cool stuff regarding basic boyz and meganobz, bit I haven't found much for 3rd party weirdboyz.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Phyresis posted:

yo get your Forgeworld orders in, the loving morons voted to leave and the gbp just crashed lmao

But why get them in now? If the GBP crashes the rest of the world gets a better deal since their currency will be stronger in relation to the GBP.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Couldn't you put a reinforced ram or Deff Rolla on the looted wagon and bump the front armor to 13?

Doesn't stop all the shortcomings, but it's a start.

Edit: nevermind, I'm dumb. Only counts the armor as 2 higher when ramming.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 30, 2016

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Endman posted:

So I love the idea of Eldar bikes, especially the Saim-Hann ones because red goes faster, and they look loving rad, but I've been told by people that they're also OP as hell.

Is there a way I can indulge my love of Eldar on spacecycles without losing all of my friends?

Kitbash Orks on them and field them as warbikes.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've thought about putting my orks onto 32mm bases, because god drat they overhang and getting B2B with something is a pain. Not to mention they're pretty tipsy.

What's stopping me is that I'd have to buy a gorrillion 32mm bases and rebase everthing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Strength 10 is going to cause instant death on most things anyway.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I bought what I thought was the Deathwing terminator box for cheap. I was going to do some creative filing to get rid of the Deathwing iconography add the new fancy shoulder pad and use them for Deathwatch.

Turns out it's the press-fit terminators from the Dark Vengeance box. Is there any way to salvage them to use for Deathwatch? I know it's not exactly fluffy to Deathwatch to have Deathwing dudes in it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Paint em black :)

They'll have fancy wings on them, but whatever. You can try shaving the wings off but it ain't gonna be easy.

The worst part though is you get like zero options for them. So storm bolters and powerfists for the most part, one chaingun, one power sword for the captain, and a chainfist on one.

E: actually the wings on the termies aren't too bad except the big ones on the captain which you could shave off. One other guy has a lapel wing which you could ignore or just say they're deathwing guys who joined the deathwatch because reasons. Its not the least fluffy thing ever, really.

Main thing I'm worried about is the left shoulder. Pretty hard to make that look like a Deathwatch shoulder pad.

As far as customization, I'm not too chafed about it. 5 terminators for $10 can make me look past that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Wait, are shotguns actially useful in the game?

Deathwatch Shotguns have ammo choices

-16" S4 AP- Assault 2, Shred
-16" S4 AP4 Assault 2
-Template S3 AP6 Assault 1

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Honestly, storm shields and shotguns just sounds like a cool aesthetic for a squad. Space marine alien riot police or something.

I'd love to do it but I'm not that great at conversions that look smooth and pretty (I can convert Orks though!)

The Deathwatch shotgun on the kill team sprue has two hands attached to it, so I'm having troubles thinking of how to make it work with a storm shield.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Made a mistake trying to get a bike captain going. The Ravenwing captain legs don't fit on regular bikes, and even with heavy cutting all I managed to do was murder a bike. Some green stuff might tune it up, but rather than gently caress another bike I'll buy a couple Ravenwing bikes if I can find the right one to fit the legs.

Is it possible to just use the normal biker legs and put the captain body on top of that?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Orks-Kill-Team

This Ork Kill Team isn't even legal! Nobz and Burna Boyz are both Elites choices, which you are only allowed 0-1 of in Kill Team. A fantastic example of the attention and care the Orks receive.

I noticed that too.

Guess I have to either bring 1 max unit of over-kitted nobz or a ton of boyz or gretchin. Oh boy, more spamming boyz.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Four Score posted:

How does Warmahordes make them work? Or is the answer to that question "it doesn't"

They released a new edition in June and removed all theme forces (equivalent of Formations).

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

The Deathwatch are a bit weird. Got access to some neat kit (gently caress yeah Frag Cannons) but the mixed unit types in their formations are odd (like adding a single Bike to a Vet squad), and also they don't actually get any bonuses against Xenos races. Instead their training is represented by gaining bonuses against specific force org slots (e.g. reroll 1 to hit vs. Troops).

I've been putzing around with the idea of getting a single squad of Cyclone termies with TH/SS to use as allies for my eventual Guard force, mainly 'cause I think they'll look cool rather than any idea of combat effectiveness :)

Mixed unit types are odd, but can have hilarious outcomes via conferred abilities.

Jinking Terminators for one thing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Chaos Space Marines codex is older than either the Tyranid or Ork codexes, the latter of which is a 7th edition codex. Given that you're saying both of those player groups are "sulking in the corner," I guess it actually does matter if the updated content is good or not, huh? Hell, Orks and Tyranids both got multiple campaign updates in Shield of Baal, Red Waaagh, and Waaagh: Ghazkull. Shouldn't they be happy with those instead of complaining about how what they got isn't good enough?

Orks current codex is 6th edition but "made with 7th in mind". Ghazkull released at the same time as the Codex and has rules that either actively make Orks worse (Da boss iz watchin, and Da biggest and da best) or were gutted by the recent FAQ (Blitz Brigade).

Not saying that CSM don't need love. But just cranking everything up to Tau, SM, and Eldar levels won't fix anything, even if going by the thought process of "if everything is broken, nothing is".

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I'm kitting out a "heavy weapons" Deathwatch Veteran squad with storm shields up front to try and keep the important dudes alive. At what number of shields does it turn from extra protection to wasted points?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Just gently scrape at the mold line with the back of an xacto blade. I've never had a problem with it removing detail.

Except when it's on something like plasma gun coils or ribbed tubing it can't really get the "valleys". But I'm not that good of painter that that little bit is going to ruin the model.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

nilstryfe posted:

I've been running 5 man Vets with 2 shields, but putting them directly on the Frag Cannon guys. My reasoning is:
A. They are the ones I really want to save anyway
and
B. They have an spare "hand"

The Veterans in the squad all have Bolters and Deathwatch shotguns, so to take a shield on them I'd have to either give up Special Ammo or my Assault/Wall of Death gun. The Frag Cannon guys don't need another weapon; they have a Frag Cannon.

Is it better for the ablative Veterans to have the storm shield, even if it hurts the overall versatility/dice volume?

I guess I didn't think of putting shields on the frag cannon guys. Partly because I don't want to deal with modeling it, and partly because a 57 point marine scares me. Eggs in one basket and all. I figure if the guy with just a shield fails the roll and dies I'm out less and the frag cannon gets another shot.

I'm completely going with 6 shotguns alongside the frag cannons though. 10 d3 overwatch hits seems hilarious.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Deathwatch is my first foray into humans in 40k (previous army being Orks).

Except for named characters, I'm just having them all keep their helmets on. They can be whichever race/gender the viewer prefers.

So so far the only guys without helmets are Artemis, and the guys from Kill Team Cassius that feel they're too good for head protection.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Non-HoR killteam doesn't allow anything with a 2+ save. So no Terminators.

I just played an Ork killteam with only 8 models. 5 warbike boyz, 1 warbike nob, and 2 nobs on foot. So Orks don't always mean tons of models.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I'm trying to find models to fit the warrior acolyte laspistol + chainsword bill in an Inquisition warband.

I know about just using guardsmen, but out of each box I'd only be using the sergeant so it would be a bit of a waste. I'm also trying to avoid them from being just palette-swapped guardsmen.

They're going to be tagging along with my Deathwatch army as objective grabbers / meatshields. As such I only need 9 of them. Converting the swords isn't an issue as I have an excess of leftover chainswords from my marines, but I don't have a single laspistol bit.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I hate how the "Midwest" covers such a large area. I got excited, then realized it's in Illinois. I'm in South Dakota.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, it sucks man. Place is ultra frustrating, got to be double for you. Where you go to game?

Badland Games in Sioux Falls. It actually has a decently sized community considering it's in SD.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ouch, the Goliath is $60.

Also, the Broodcoven are the same models from the Deathwatch Overkill set with a premium markup.

Stuff like this is weird considering that the Deathwatch stuff was all either less expensive versions of stuff that exists (Captains and Terminator captains) or fairly reasonable (Overkill Deathwatch models at $65)

Maybe the Goliath just has a shitload of bits and whatnot. Though it should be relatively easy to magnetize between the two variants.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I came from MTG, then Warmachine, Malifaux, and X-wing before I started with 40k.

The rules being wishy-washy and unclear is probably my least liked thing about the game apart from general faction balance.

Oh, and Hired Swords isn't that bad to assemble outside of the ponytails being separate pieces.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

This one's a no-brainer: +1 shot is significantly better than twin linked. With twin-linked shooting, your chance of getting a hit goes from 67% to 89%, whereas with two shots, your chance of getting one hit is 89%, and you have a 44% chance of getting two hits, whereas you have a 0% chance to do that with twin-linked shots.

I think Horace meant is two shots twin-linked or 3 shots better.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

I dunno, I've seen nerds get weirdly stingy about gaming aids. You'd think being able to spare a £1 for a cheap tape measure wouldn't be a problem but our gaming nights in store have at least 3-4 people begging to use the store's, without fail.

My FLGS has a stash of some of the stick rulers that come in starter sets like Dark Vengeance.

They've been dubbed "bitch sticks" and they're what people get if they need to borrow a tape measure.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Vedros stuff has been out for a while though, and it just uses the same sprues that Assault on Blackreach did.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm having fun with Terminators in Deathwatch lists.

Deepstriking 5x Assault Cannons is fun and generally hits drat hard.

Is it competitive? Not at all. They generally die the next turn.

My meta is also casual, so a 2+ armor save is still pretty good.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Is there any limit on the number of allies I can have?

Wondering how much of a disaster it would be as I grow my collection to just field an army of every model I own from like five armies.

Nope.

Only possible disaster is lack of synergy and possible One Eye Open checks.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Didn't this get discussed in depth right after it happened in this very thread, hence the thread title?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Sticky Tack doesn't stick well to wine corks that I've collected from my drunk family onto model bases--I guess pin it with paper clips is what some of y'all were saying? I'll give it a try on my next infantry paint-fest.
I superglued some sticky tack to the corks I use. Even when you pull off the big glob, a thin layer is still stuck to the cork to give it something to "grab".

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah you can definitely tell it's born or of the same counterculture as Judge Dredd, but I feel like Dredd had kept way more of its textual satire over time than 40k, and that's maybe why it makes me a little uncomfortable from time to time.

You know there are options for armies that aren't fascist xenophobic humans, right?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Hell, it goes past just the rulebooks. There's so many one-off dataslates from stuff like weekly white dwarfs and whatnot.

Then god-forbid you want to get some Forgeworld stuff. The stuff is spread through just as many books and it's not intuitive as to what book you need for what models.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

How reliable is Bell of Lost Souls?

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/11/40k-rumors-sororita-mini-news-keeps-coming.html

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That's one thing I've been wondering. If 8th does end up being a whole new game, will the newer codices like Deathwatch and Genestealers work for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Deathwatch marines don't really seem bigger. It just they're not squatting anymore

• Locked thread