Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
Insertion owns, but it requires a much different play style than most cs_ maps, or counter-strike maps for that matter. Some advice:

1. Decoys and silenced weapons are god
2. Radar is your friend
3. Terrorists are better off leaving the hostages and moving to the perimeter of the map, defending 360 degrees is a lesson in futility
4. Queue with some friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Cuntpunch posted:

Valve has decided to spend all year trying to make Cobblestone and Overpass relevant to the competitive scene(and completely failing).

How is it a complete failure? They'll be played at ESL this year, which seems like a success?

Overpass is a good map, the only reason they aren't "competitively relevant" is that it takes around 3 years for cs nerds to come around to a new map. Also cbble has had plenty of pro games played on it in 1.6, ya'll hate way too much. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's better than cache or train

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 9, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I am really wondering when cbble was used a bunch. I would love to see really good teams play on it.

It was played in Cal (including invite) for a good amount of time, seasons 8 and onward maybe?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

ensuring that every single team is an uncoordinated mess?

I'm sorry but I've played maps for the first time and managed to be "coordinated". It'll take about four scrims for them to figure out the map. The idea that counter-strike maps are some kind of super deep piece of art to be inspected and studied for weeks on end before you can understand what's going on is some kind of dumb fiction.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

mcvey posted:

I'm guessing your 'coordination' and a pro teams 'coordination' are two very different things. Especially with a map as complicated as cobble.

I actually don't think they are. Also there's a lot of area between a coordinated ballerina dance (which I admit some of the strategies are at the upper levels) and "uncoordinated play" which is what people are whining about and what you will never see in any sense of the word at a professional level, especially on a map like cobble which has been played by professionals for nearly a decade. Having lots of corners does not make a map complicated and fyi for you and kcer like half of those terrible corners in B aren't even accessible to the cts if the Terrorists move in an orderly fashion.

Coleman posted:

If you're a fan of normal sports, would you also like to see a group of pro NFL players playing in Game 7 of the World Series?

lol as well. its hard to believe how stupid some of the things you "fans" of the "sport" of counter-strike say.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
Beyond that I bet all the nolifer pros have played plenty of cobble and overpass already as it is. These aren't exactly "new" maps.

teagone posted:

You're right, I'd sooner take advice from some random dude at a pick-up basketball game in my local gym than I would from a pro NBA player. :rolleyes:

Idiot sports analogies itt

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

pandaK posted:

Hey does anyone know when drops reset in CSGO?

Tuesday during maintenance I believe

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

mcvey posted:

dust2 double doors are now metal, they now only wallbang for about 4-5dmg with rifles and have to be shot near perpendicular to actually bang through. :shepface:

Honestly a good change, door picking is pretty loving annoying for everyone involved.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Are there custom maps that just have bots running around the map which respawn on death and repeat their routes?

Goonmans

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
21st century cs players are the worst

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Xenaero posted:

I'd be terrified of using that in a cheat protected game. I'm also incredibly paranoid and one of the people that think VAC watches every single thing going on in your box.

You also have sexual fantasies about reptiles so that's pretty tame in comparison

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

I was being extremely sarcastic.

Poe's law

Xenaero posted:

Source engine is horrific with optimization and netcode. Always has been. It is essentially one gigantic hack.

lmao keep stocking shelves kid

augustob posted:

Why CS:GO would be CPU-bound is beyond me. Skyrim was a CPU-bound game because it had all sorts of AI going on, but the bot-like creatures running around in dust2 are 100% human controlled.

What other thing do you think would "bind" the performance of CS:GO?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Thanks for the Wikipedia article there champ

Protip, open up the game and look around. It's not cryengine or unreal3. It's still very GPU bound it's just that modern desktop hardware(cpu and gpu for that matter) can overcome that pretty easily (not on mobile though, try playing CS on a laptop)- same goes for the CPU as well.

Counter-strike A. isn't CPU-bound in any sense of the word B. runs really well and people who bitch about performance just have pretty poor perspective

"Counter-strike is CPU bound" is one of those things I just see parroted by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 24, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Necc0 posted:

http://www.hltv.org/forum/460082-fps-in-csgo-cpu-vs-gpu

Valve has also come out several times saying that the CPU will be the bottleneck for any games on the source engine. Keep in mind that they put a massive effort into multi-threading the source engine back in the HL2 days rather than upgrading their rendering engine.

On older hardware, sure, you can't just drop in a new graphics card and go hog wild. But you can't do that with any modern game.

augustob posted:

So it's both GPU and CPU bound? I think you need to go back to Wikipedia.

No I'm saying that it's as GPU bound as any other game, it's just that it's not as graphically intensive as most other game engines these days.

Put it this way, you shouldn't be questioning "why is this game CPU bound" you should be asking "why do all other games require such a ridiculous graphics card?" to which the answer is obvious when you actually look at counter-strike (or any source engine game for that matter) and then look at them.

I haven't seen anything that suggest Source is somehow worse than anything else when it comes to game engine performance for FPS titles. Even in that HLTV post

quote:

To an I3-3220 3,3Ghz Geforce 660GTX

Everybody says CS:Go is CPU heavy ,but we rarely know anyting specific
So i was curious how much of the fps in CS:Go actually is the graphic card and how much is from the cpu.

With system 1 1680x1650 2xAA 2xAF everything else very low ,but player details medium.

56fps in public Death match with lots of players on very small map like shoots
65fps on Deatmtach with lots of players on bigger map like Dust2 or Train
70-125fps on normal
5v5 Dust 2 having 70-90fps on most 1v1 1v2 2v2 situations and 125fps when i am alone in B tunnels f.e

Now i first only changed the CPU

now with the i3 3220 and same Radeon card , same drivers , same ram everything and all settings the same.

I got

78fps on üublic Death match small map
87 fps on public deathmatch dust2/train
125-186 fps in 5o5 125-140 fps in most 1v1 1v2 2v2 duels and
186fps when i am alone in tunnels.

Firstly that isn't that much of an increase. Playable to more playable. Most people wouldn't notice. Also strange that he chose to run it with AA on, but shrug

quote:

Now compare this with Crysis 2 everything on lowest.
Got 24-41 fps mostly 31fps on old system
get 24fps-41fps now on i3 3220.

Great, so it basically runs like poo poo no matter what you do. Awesome.

Necc0 posted:

Anyways I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is that their physics engine is still calculated on the CPU which is really really expensive computationally-wise. That and the measurements for player movement/actions is much more precise compared to other FPS games, also expensive.

no no no no no aren't you a computer science major...? mindless spitballing like this is how these stupid rumors get started. I eagerly await the next relevant google result you find for "counter-strike fps cpu"

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 24, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Necc0 posted:

:shrug: They built the foundation over a decade ago and I've seen no evidence that they've switched their physics rendering over. Also no one is saying that the source engine is better or worse it's just that they put much more emphasis on things that require CPU processing, resulting in the game being much more sensitive to CPU performance rather than GPU.

Again, you still have not substantiated that the source engine is "much more sensitive to CPU performance rather than GPU" in any sense of the word. All you've shown is that Counter-strike does not require a state of the art graphics card to run well. Which is the same of any source engine game. Which has nothing to do with the physics being computed on the CPU versus the GPU (lol if you think that would matter in a game like CS) and everything to do with the fact that Source is simply less demanding of the GPU than other engines. And the results show.

quote:

Which is why they're adding console commands to monitor the CPU. Which is why we're talking about this. (???)

No we're talking about it because someone is going "why is CS CPU-bound when every other game is GPU-bound" when that's just some bullshit they read off of a steam forums post and have literally no idea what they are talking about. Why you decided to do a quick google and dump some poo poo forum post here as "evidence" to support him is beyond me.

Again, Source engine is not any more CPU intensive than any other game Engine. Counter-Strike is as GPU bound as any other game and the lower GPU requirements have nothing to do with the physics engine.

"I see no evidence the rendering engine switched over" lmao are you loving kidding me? What would constitute evidence to you Necco, Counter-strike OP and apparent game physics engine expert. What does "switching the rendering engine" even mean in this context? I thought we were talking about physics?

edit. And honestly, if the best support you can come up with when you're trying to comment on the technical aspects of a 10 year old game engine that's had tens of thousands of experts pour over it's codebase is a HLTV.org forums post written by a barely literate teenager you're probably on the wrong side of this one

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 24, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

NTT posted:

lmao I didn't want to surrender so my team kicked me, I get handed a 24 hour ban.

You are kind of an rear end in a top hat if one of your teammates leave and you don't surrender. They honestly should just add the "safe to leave" crap from DotA2 where comp games stop counting if there's an early leave and games can end early (slash go safe to leave) if people rage/etc

You're really not doing anyone favors by forcing them to continue to play with you. Especially when the "them" is your entire team.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Minorkos posted:

What if you can win 4v5 and the 3 people on your team are just being whiny babies

Unfortunately, as I've learned quite well, an army of whiny babies can overcome a well reasoned argument. Not only that, you'll probably be called an rear end in a top hat after the fact.

Also,

NtotheTC posted:

"welcome to matchmaking. get some friends"

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 24, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Mesothelioma posted:

do you manually change this every time you launch csgo? This looks weird

If it makes you feel any better increasing the saturation of your monitor is about as likely to improve your skills as is playing on a 128 tick server or pooping two times a day instead of three.

edit. Also be sure to put electrical tape over any opening in your playing area that might allow ambient light in so you're maximizing the contrast ratio

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 24, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

kcer posted:

Increasing colour saturation makes models stands out more and absolutely will garner better results.

Necc0 posted:

It's all in your head.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

I don't know about other people, but all of the cases I've actually opened I've funded through selling other drops in cs/dota/tf2

yep you and every other key buyer

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
Matchmaking algorithms hard at work

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=293229289

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
My only problem with insertion is that every round takes the entire time limit. The average match length has to be 5-10 min longer on that map.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
It's stupid that you can just prime a molotov and sit there, the poo poo should blow up in your hand after a few seconds.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Until you throw it, all you have is a dodgy-rear end paraffin lantern.

Load into a game as a terrorist, buy a molotov, hold down the button and tell me that flame would not advance. I mean maybe the poo poo wouldn't blow up but it's goddamn stupid that the fire just sits there. Also, while we're on the topic, please make the middle mouse button throw a knife and double the damage of all he grenades.

edit. oh and add a samurai sword skin for the knife

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
rip butterfly speedstabbing

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

kaschei posted:

Why do you need an alt account to give no fucks? If you gave no fucks you would just play.

but... but... my rank

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Ephedra posted:

Wait you have won 10 games?

Closing in on 500 son, get at me

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
50 hours and no aces, :cmon:

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Asuron posted:

Seriously what is Lurppis's deal with Fiffy? Every chance he gets he shittalks him, he's got this weird thing about him. Also looking over that twitter account, you'd think he would recognise insulting every caster, player and tournament organiser and generally being a giant poo poo before and during the event was the reason he wasn't invited but I guess not.

Maybe he doesn't give a gently caress and just calls em like he sees them. Seems to have worked for him so far. Calling for a long time player to retire after winning a big tournament when he underperforms regularly isn't some kind of great offense.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

it's his overall personality and persistent abrasiveness that makes sensitive people dislike him

I can't disagree with you there but I mean, dude has 8500 twitter followers and a cs resume that suggests he probably can manage interpersonal relationships just fine.

http://www.hltv.org/?pageid=14&userid=3516

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Ephedra posted:

I think I'm going to use one of my fresh CSGO accounts to MM with my monitor off. Play purely by sound anyone else game?

do it on your main you lil bitch

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

lmao kid has 80 pages of posts in the nitecrew thread

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5hMN_XkPQA

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Necc0 posted:

Believe it or not most people don't want to be forced to play another third of a match over and over. We used to have it and goonmans and it quickly became very unpopular.

3 rounds of iceworld is the only tiebreaker worth talkin about (no freeze time)

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Senethro posted:

Pretty much any nationality in Europe can be terrible, but the Russians are the worst and the assorted Scandinavians the nicest.

Why don't you take the casual racism back to reddit or wherever you came from?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Smol posted:

Zeus is allowed in MM, costs $100, plays a party horn sound and shoots confetti; chickens have party hats. Best update ever.

ITS HAPPENING

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Coleman posted:

There's no "correct default answer" for pistol rounds.

Sure but there are incorrect ones, like buying a deagle.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

real dilemma posted:

Thanks for the unsolicited rear end in a top hat reply. Perhaps you might consider shutting up unless you'd like to contribute a more detailed analysis on why you believe that .18:1 was a poor betting line on specifically Cloud9 vs. Area51 on de_inferno. Thanks.

No seriously, stop gambling on video games, you're clearly not emotionally mature enough to enjoy the hobby responsibly. That goes for everyone by the way.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

real dilemma posted:

I just wanted to call that other dude out for being a dick for no reason.

It's not no reason, you said something really loving stupid. Welcome to Something Awful. The CS:GO thread is not your safe space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

pengy did that guy message you for his free knife yet?

Nope, still trying to get rid of this butterfly poo poo.

real dilemma posted:

This was one instance where I thought betting the favorite was actually a good bet.

Says the guy that got raked by the house for nothing.

• Locked thread