Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PleasureKevin posted:

it seems like everyone uses Mac now. and not just in a confirmation bias kind of way. those who aren't using Mac are using and iPad or iPhone. or they work in a call centre and they will be replaced by Siri.

41% of the US uses an iPhone , and it's not the poorest 41% either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
literally all of my undergrad work can be done on a mac and anything that can't has alternatives like xenapp so i don't need bootcamp (but i have it for james)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fabricated posted:

dell really should just stop selling their consumer grade poo poo and just sell latitudes as their base model since they work

that's what they're doing at my university

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i actually had to use some enterprise software recently and surprisingly it ran on linux

i guess someone at haliburton owes linus a favor

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Dog posted:

which linux tho

suse, rh and canonical need to cut the poo poo and just all merge already also everything to do with ubuntu needs to die in a fire

i'm pretty sure it was rh because that's what people who actually want to do serious work on linux use

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Twenty-Seven posted:

i found out yesterday that microsoft makes a mouse with a loving start button/windows key on it and i'm still fuming

a loving mouse with a start button on it

so does it just not do anything in windows 8

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

infernal machines posted:

who doesn't need to print?

i print so rarely that even if it cost me $1/sheet at a kinko's (not that they have those anymore) it'd probably still be cheaper than buying & maintaining a printer

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ocrassus posted:

I can't wait for the impending announcement that Microsoft is changing it's name to Microhard.

dsyp

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fabricated posted:

Drop shadows will triumphantly return some day

os x already has that

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mod sassinator posted:

will desktop machines even matter in 5 years? i would wager 90% of jobs that have a computer right now will be on an ipad or android tablet

they'll be replaced by thin clients if anything

so good/okay for microsoft, bad for pc manufacturers

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sniep posted:

how long are they going to try and beat that horse

thin clients are already in widespread use for where they work

i.e. bank teller terminals, call center workers, data entry farms, library computers, etc

there's still a fair ways they can go

my university mostly has desktops for their open access labs but they've been slowly migrating to thin clients, and plus they have an online component so you can stream a windows desktop to finish up a visio diagram or a spreadsheet

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Rename thread to "employment.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" and sticky

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

True but it works both ways though, i have friends tell me they don't know how i am not miserable doing the same job my entire life and will continue to do for 20+ more years . But i am of the mindset that knowing exactly what i will earn per hour in August of 2028 owns . but some friends think i am nuts. to each their own and i am hopeful everyone will find jobs soon

yeah i'm perfectly fine with working the same job because my field is very flexible just inherently and if i get an mba i can pretty easily make six figures

gonna have to as well because the future waifu just wants to be a housewife (though she is interested in teaching too)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phoenixan posted:

same bullshit probably goes for itunes on windows

itunes was like that but then they made it so you never need to connect your phone to a computer again so they mostly just ignore it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the ms office team continues to own

the office team is basically the Agilent to microsoft's HP

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

infernal machines posted:

outlook 2011 is a huge unstable piece of poo poo. idk about word or excel or whatever but they're probably similar. also the updater is the most hilariously stupid piece of software i've ever seen

excel takes a very long time to do anything and apparently some of the vba functions are named differently because you can't even use the same macros in mac & windows

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i don't know why they just can't have the updater do silent updates

if your updater gets hosed up from a patch then oh well, i can't patch my lovely software until you post a hotfix sometime in the 3 months between updates

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/NFL-players-to-use-tablet-computers-during-games-5665371.php

quote:

When you see Colin Kaepernick pick up a tablet computer on the sidelines this season, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback won't be tweeting.

Instead, Kaepernick and other NFL players will be using a new digital photo system that could eventually replace the league's decades-old method of studying opponents from the sidelines using printed black-and-white photos.

The Sideline Viewing System, developed as part of a reported $400 million partnership between the NFL and Microsoft, is one of the on-field technologies the league is introducing this year.

The referees are also going wireless so they can talk with each other without huddling, and coaches will sport new Bose headsets.

But the appearance of Microsoft Surface tablets marks the first time players and coaches can legally use such electronic devices on the field during the game. The tablets will come into play for the first time Sunday night, when the New York Giants and Buffalo Bills play in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio.

"We think it's an opportunity to use technology to improve the game on the field," said NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy.

For years, teams have used printed photographs to learn how their opponents lined up before the ball was snapped. The photos are organized in three-ring binders for players to study between offensive or defensive series.

In earlier days, coaches sent Polaroid shots to the field using a long wire strung from the upper deck or press box to the sidelines. That delivery system provided enough time for the self-developing film to produce a picture.

More recently, teams employed fax machines and sideline printers connected by fiber-optic cable, McCarthy said.

But while printed black-and-whites take 20 to 30 seconds to get to the field, the new digital system can transmit color pictures to the tablets in four to five seconds, said Microsoft spokesman Ryan Luckin.

And with the tablets, players can enlarge the photo, compare up to four images on one screen, and use a stylus to draw passing routes or highlight missed blocking assignments. Players and coaches can also bookmark plays to refer to them later in the game.
Secure network

Each team will have 13 Surfaces on the sidelines and 12 in the coaches box. The league owns and operates the tablets, which run on a secure wireless network. The devices will be locked in a temperature-controlled cart between games to prevent any team from manipulating the information.

The NFL embraced instant-replay reviews in 1999, but has been slow to adopt other technology to avoid competitive imbalances.

The league's competition committee placed restrictions on the Surface tablets: They can display only still images, not video, and they won't have Internet access.

"We want to make sure the players are deciding wins and losses, not technology," Luckin said.

And the sideline printers aren't being sacked just yet. They'll remain for coaches who aren't ready to tackle the digital images.

"If I'm a coach and I've won multiple Super Bowl championships with this perfectly usable paper system, it would be a disadvantage to take that away from me if I don't want to use this," Luckin said. "We're keeping the playing field level."

Microsoft is getting some free TV advertising by outfitting the tablets with sky-blue cases clearly labeled "Surface." But Microsoft's main motivation is what the Redmond, Wash., company receives from its partnership with the NFL: a reported $400 million, five-year deal. That includes interactive content to help sell Xbox home video game consoles.
New technology

When the regular season starts, Microsoft's Xbox Live network will offer services that include video feeds of game highlights and fantasy football data. Xbox owners will also gain access to NFL Sunday Ticket, the league's package of out-of-market game telecasts that was previously available only to DirecTV satellite service subscribers.

Apart from Microsoft, the league is adding new technology of its own.

Officiating crews will have their own wireless communications network so they can confer on penalty calls without having to huddle, or one having to run yards downfield to talk to another. International soccer referees have long had similar setups.

And on-field officials will be able to talk directly with instant-replay officials at NFL headquarters in New York, McCarthy said.

The referees and players will also wear chips in their clothing to track their locations on the field.

Radio-frequency identification, or RFID, transmitters in the shoulder pads of players will give the league and fans data on their performance, including how fast they accelerate and how far they run.

The NFL teamed up with Zebra Technologies of Lincolnshire, Ill., to develop the system, which will be installed in Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, O.co Coliseum in Oakland, NRG Stadium in Houston and 14 other stadiums. The 49ers and Detroit Lions tested the system during home games last season.

"Working with Zebra will give fans, teams, coaches and players a deeper look into the game they love," Vishal Shah, NFL vice president of media strategy, said in a news release.

Those innovations are all a long way from the Polaroid-on-a-wire days, McCarthy said.

"We were looking to balance innovation with tradition, and we think we can marry the two here and improve it," he said.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phoenixan posted:

whenever i see charts like this does saying "windows 8" also include 8.1?

i'm guessing yes since according to this they both have ~13% of the market.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

im not into console shames so maybe this is an old observation but every time i hear "xbox one" i think they're talking about the original xbox and wonder why anyone is talking about a machine over a decade old

just seems like a terrible branding choice, from a company with nothing but terrible branding choices

they really didn't want to use xbox 720 and PS4 > XB3 so they did the third most dumb option

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

graph posted:

'designed for the power user who doesnt stand still'

can someone translate that for me

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
that was a real, microsoft developed ad campaign btw

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blackula69 posted:

Apple’s iOS still rules the enterprise space, even after having fallen 5 percentage points to 67 percent of total device activations in Q2 2014. Android device activations increased the same amount to 32 percent of total activations last quarter, while Windows Phone activations remain consistent with the five previous quarters: flat at 1 percent.

i wouldn't doubt it because android poo poo is incredibly insecure and there's basically no way to prevent rooting for most phones iirc

it's pretty lol that apple has 2/3 of the enterprise market even before they actually roll out enterprise tools though

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is the company that made a touch-based office for ipad, sat on it for god knows how long, but forced the windows tablet to include an entire windows desktop.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I LOVE THIS COMPANY TEAM

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sniep posted:

the weird thing imho is how the ps4 weighs like nothing compared to the xbone, and it has the psu built in where the xbone comes with a huge external brick. you'd think having the psu inside would make it heavier overall

how is the xbone so drat heavy compared

iirc they put a bunch of heatsinks in there

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duTrieux. posted:

i think it would be neat if, on the occasion of software errors, there were some sort of "explain this to me" button that brings up a concise lay-explanation of the problem.

for the most common poo poo (like network troubles) it'd basically be "you can't connect to the internet, and there's a million reasons why so who knows!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

THC posted:

they can't just auto update it I guess because of reasons

they can't even auto update their updater for other products

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Dog posted:

Apple: hey here's something that's clearly an ad showing cool people using our cool products
Microsoft: [astroturfing and ham-fisted product placement intensifies]

scummy marketing from a scummy company

then again maybe Apple isn't the best contrast to use there since literally every hollywood computer from 1990-2010 and probably onwards is conspicuously a Mac

i think there's some other factor at play there because they still use them even though they cover up the apple logo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

I've never seen any other company jam as much ill-fitting product placement into TV as microsoft except maybe toyota on warehouse 13

there's a shot from avengers when the main object of focus is a car's logo rather than the alien fight around it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

univbee posted:

wasn't there also a problem with availability of the SKU with the hard drive, forcing some people to get the $299 hdless one and paying an assload for like a 20 gig hd?

i honestly don't know, i left the country a few months before the 360 came out and moved to japan for a few years so i have zero knowledge of the first like 3 years of the 360's life

the 20 gig hard drive cost $100 when the 360 came out so probably

a wifi adapter was another $100

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
reminder that game installs weren't a thing until like 2011 either, so microsoft could half-rear end it for like 6 years

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FMguru posted:

the other issue with vista was the initial use experience was abysmal. it was slow and annoying as poo poo for the first several days because the hard drive was busy indexing itself and you kept getting uac popups every three minutes whenever you tried to do something. eventually the hard drive got indexed and all the uac questions got answered but by then people had already their impression of the system (that it was chunky poop from a butt) and had told all their friends about it. giving someone a fully-tuned vista system resulted in a positive experience but that wasnt how most people encountered it irl

people still bitch about os x like this, even though they've upgraded literally every year for the past 3 years and the same thing happens every time

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fleshweasel posted:

yeah i mean a new mac is indexing for what...the first 20 minutes you use it? These days a bubble pops up saying "Optimizing your Mac. poo poo might be slow right now."

i've had it do an hour or so before but that's on one of those lovely 5400 rpm drives

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blackula69 posted:

wait but indexing takes like 15 minutes max on any mac post-2008

i've had it take longer but again, this was on a lovely 5400rpm drive

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thanks Ants posted:

once you have a mac with an ssd and an i5 you have to have some pretty specific needs for it to no longer suit them.

i want a 1tb ssd so i'm waiting until either those are cheaper or i get ~$4000 to spend on a computer

i'll probably future proof it with 16gb of RAM when I get it too though

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Metrication posted:

how many decades has windows update been included in windows and it is still a horrible, painful experience to use even in the latest release of microsoft windows on a new computer

wasn't it just a link to a webpage in xp

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phoenixan posted:

surprised they haven't gone to calling it windows one yet

if the xbone wasn't a complete failure they probably would have done that

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Metrication posted:

i thought they were going to be doing 'smaller releases' with windows 8? and they did a bit then just stopped

tbf i think they need a major release to wipe off the stink of windows 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duTrieux. posted:

but, dramaticinematic gaming...!

all around me are familiar faces

• Locked thread