Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Hotel Kpro posted:

What kind of recruiter tries to recruit people with a number from Kyrgyzstan, what the hell

Those 100% in-person 6-month contract-to-hire positions in Bishkek aren't going to fill themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Susat posted:

I found out that apparently the person I was brought on to replace is the sole person in the department to get fired and go to comedy heaven.

Apparently they gave him an admin account for doing AD tasks, and then gave himself VPN access and an RSA token for login, then his next move was to tell the manager he can work from home.

You either die an admin, or you live long enough to see yourself become the manager.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

IP KVMs, ILOs and remote PDUs were a godsend but a lot of that stuff in major cloud data centers is being put directly onto DPUs now. I bet they don’t even roll crash carts in, they probably just fault the node, power it off, and flag it to be pulled later for troubleshooting.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Antioch posted:

"AI! A! I! It's everywhere! We have to get it! You're going to training! AI!"

Just imagine all the really cheap ML gear you'll be able to buy in a few years when all the Fortune 5,000 companies realize that AI did not actually revolutionize the injection-molded plastic toothbrush handle industry.

tokin opposition posted:

If ya'llse were hiring for a junior sysadmin what certs and experience would be most enticing? Asking for a friend, who is also me.

Cloud stuff? Get an AWS SysOps Administrator cert if you don't feel like you have enough experience to stand out. Otherwise, AWS Cloud Practitioner is an easy one to pick up in a hurry to show that you're at least vaguely familiar with concepts.

For on-prem, CCST Networking (used to be CCENT) to prove you know networking. If you can talk network protocols and concepts and walk through a troubleshooting exercise, you're already in the 90th percentile of candidates.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tokin opposition posted:

What's the best way to do cloud stuff that's applicable to AWS, Azure, and GCS? And how do I learn to use docker and Terraform? I've been meaning to put up a home server box to start on a lab, using an old desktop to get it done on the cheap. Just play around in a VM until I break something or skynet comes for me?

I signed up for the AWS free tier and used that as a testbed to play around with Terraform a few years ago. Now I lead a team that basically lives and breathes Terraform. You'll need to watch your bill like a hawk - make sure you stay within the free tier limits, and don't leave things running overnight. Always, always, always run a terraform destroy at the end of a lab session. Too many horror stories of people ending up with four or five-digit AWS bills because they forgot about something they had provisioned or didn't understand the free tier limits and walked away from it for a few weeks. AWS won't fix it because it's an endless supply of either revenue or goodwill, depending on how generous they're feeling at that moment.

There are some pretty good Terraform courses on the various training sites, really depends on what you have easy access to.

As for Docker, the beauty of it is you can do that all yourself, all 100% free, just by installing Docker on your PC and farting around with it on the desktop and through the command line. Use and abuse the containers, spin them up and treat them like a VM that you can wipe away and re-provision in an instant if you manage to gently caress something so hard that it's not worth figuring out how to unfuck it. :science:

The Iron Rose posted:

Edit: also take two hours and read the Wikipedia page on public key cryptography.
gently caress yeah. When it comes to scenarios that can turn highly experienced IT people into stunned deer, PKI and networking are right at the top of the list. Certificates are everywhere now, too, because plaintext is bad bad bad, so when certs expire or some root gets revoked somewhere, all hell breaks loose. Between knowing certificates and knowing networking, you can be the hero in so many Sev-1s.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

The Fool posted:

There exists enterprises that don't do their own app development and none of this actually applies.

I disagree. There are still a staggering number of software companies who simply exist to poo poo out an installer every few months and let the customer figure out how to run their product in an enterprise. All of those concepts come into play if you choose to do more than the bare minimum of slapping it on a Windows server in a dusty closet and calling it a day.

Managing systems with Ansible? That’s automation. You also want version control for your playbooks and inventory, plus a way to run them automatically when you push an update - that’s CI/CD. Same applies for managing a fleet of desktops using GPOs and Powershell.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

jaegerx posted:

What loving archaic system still only allows 8 character user names and never deletes old accounts.

Ugh gently caress you

Wait until you hear about the PHP password hashing function that only checks the first 8 characters of the password and ignores the rest :v:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

The Fool posted:

thats not what anyone is actually saying, thanks for playing

they were being mildly hyperbolic

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

johnny park posted:

Maybe I'm confused. Is all automation considered devops?

No. But if you do your automation in a certain way - versioned, source-controlled, repeatable, declarative - then you're starting to incorporate the practices that many consider to be "DevOps".

Hughmoris posted:

That's the beauty of devops. It's whatever you want it to be!

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Thanks Ants posted:

The Exchange admin console back when it was a Windows application (2007 I think) and not a web client used to be very wizard driven but at the final step before submitting the change it would show you the PowerShell that it was about to run to do what you'd just asked for. The M365 portals should be like this.

I recall some Azure products doing this 5 or so years ago. I may be misremembering but I'm pretty sure it showed me some az cli commands when I was clickops-ing resources for a side project.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

johnny park posted:

Yeah, "automation" in my environment means writing Powershell scripts that are kept in a folder on a network drive. We don't use git or anything.

My suggestion - create a GitHub organization for your employer, make a private repository for scripts, and then move them all in there. No more fussing around with "who changed line 137?", or "I need to update it but $Person has it locked", or the dreaded "disk got corrupted and we lost all our scripts".

It's an incremental improvement that takes 5 minutes and 0 dollars and the next person to do your job will thank you for it. It's also a starting point for whatever else comes along where you think "hey, if we had a Git repo, we could do <other thing>"

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We are.
Except the twist is, we're putting the cloud on prem.

Tanzu on VMware Cloud on AWS Outpost in shipping containers placed in the parking lot.

But the shipping containers have redundant power, network, and cooling. And we have another shipping container in another parking lot across town in case the first one gets knocked offline.

We're fully containerized in the cloud!

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Help!!!!

Thanks,
Bill

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tokin opposition posted:

finally started on my homelab journey by building a PC with spare parts I had in the closet and shoved ubuntu desktop on it. i had more fun working on it at 2am than i have at my job, ever.

if anyone has any good first projects please lmk here or via pm

That’s awesome, Ubuntu and Debian are my favorite home lab/server OSes.

I like to peruse the Awesome Selfhosted repo every so often for ideas of things to deploy. You could start with a Samba server, NextCloud, etc. Something that’s immediately useful to you is a good pick IMO because then you’re tempted to keep it and find ways to run it better.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tokin opposition posted:

"it's worse but it makes us more money!!" is not a selling point

Tell that to Ubiquiti, y'all remember this loving gem?

https://store.ui.com/us/en/products/uvc-ai-dslr

AI!!! (basic object detection)

DSLR!!!!! (it's a loving zoom lens)

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

You should react the same way to a Healthcare IT recruiter as you do to a nice-looking person handing out pamphlets in front of a Scientology building. Cross the street, don't make eye contact. Those are years of your life and months of unpaid overtime that you'll never get back.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tokin opposition posted:

which makes a certain kind of Guy (and it is usually Guys) decide that everything, from taxes to society to workplaces are the same way.

engineers dot txt

beep boop must optimize society

johnny park posted:

I feel the opposite, the more I learn about the technical details of how computers are made and how they work and how networking works etc, the more intimidated I get. The whole thing is unfathomably complex
Just remember, whenever something fails... it's DNS.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

ilkhan posted:

My schools in CA had outdoor hallways and amphitheatres. 3 elementary schools feeding 3 middle schools feeding a high school. Schools in IA are a single giant building from Pre-K to High school, all indoors. Because of loving blizzards like today and negative degree high temps in winter.

lol, what? That has nothing to do with what state you live in, that's just the difference between cities and rural school districts. Iowa has both, friend. I promise.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

e: I copied the text for the link rather than following the embedded link and it seems valid, no PII requested. So I did it, although tbh looking at the JD it's probably not a good fit. I like taking the cognitive tests though, logic problems are fun.

That got me thinking, an unsolicited job application questionnaire would be a hell of a phishing test. The response rate could double as an employee morale survey. :sun:

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 12, 2024

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Zotix posted:

Any thoughts on how to proceed on this? I know the job market is pretty poo poo, and I'm worried about approaching this in the correct way.

Bring it up with your manager and express that you don't have time to manage your primary help desk responsibilities while simultaneously being a team lead/24x7 escalation contact for the sub-team.

If that sub-team is so important that it needs a 24x7 escalation point, then it's time for them to invest in it by splitting some analysts off from the help desk. Otherwise,

The Iron Rose posted:

“I’ll do it on a best effort basis with a pay/title bump (aka no)”.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

jaegerx posted:

None of this would happen if I was IK

Power Automate for IK, AI-powered sixers for all

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tokin opposition posted:

anyway to get back on topic, my jellyfin install is working wonderfully, and now it's time to figure out how to make my VPN, torrent client, and sonarr/radarr all play together, probably using docker.

Can't wait to have all those "linux isos" on tap

Put them all in a single Docker Compose file so you can orchestrate the whole stack and have them talk to each other on their own docker network.

There are some prebuilt container images for bundling WireGuard + rtorrent/deluge/your client of choice that handles all of the safety/killswitch stuff.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

jaegerx posted:

please don't tell people to use docker compose or docker at all

Docker is fine, and Compose is a perfectly good gateway drug to Kubernetes

tokin opposition posted:

im scared of docker and don't want any linux iso ISP nastygrams :saddowns:

i guess i'll find something to practice with first

You will not get a nastygram if you use one of the combined VPN+torrent client containers. They're specifically configured to only route traffic through the VPN interface, so something very wrong would have to happen for the traffic to leak out.

And if you're still paranoid, learn how to block torrent traffic at your router/firewall. It's not bulletproof, but it's an extra safeguard.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 13, 2024

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Blurb3947 posted:

What's this now?

Cloudflare has a documented history of allowing neo-Nazi/far-right websites to be served through (and thus protected by) their platform while these sites called for harassment and violence against the LGBTQ community. They've put forth very dubious arguments about being a "public utility" as an excuse for not removing said sites. None of those very strongly held convictions stopped them from suspending a social networking site for sex workers, though.

The Fool posted:

irregular reminder that cloudflare shelters nazis

I'll add to this and say that no one should use any Cloudflare services - not even the free ones; DNS, reverse proxy, tunnels, any of it. Their whole strategy is to host so much of the internet behind their network that they can throw up their hands and say "See? We're protecting everybody! We're just the middleman!" Every site they host, paid or otherwise, becomes part of a massive human shield of digital content that makes identifying, blocking, and/or rooting out the bad poo poo that much harder. If you're not paying for something, you are the product.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Going to crowdfund a new anycast DNS service at 69.4.20.x, who's in

SyNack Sassimov posted:

also the first time I tried to post this I got:

Yeah, good luck finding a major site that's not using them. I meant don't use their free DNS hosting service on your domains. Or do, I don't care. Just know who you're hitching your stuff to.

Google DNS is alright, I like the fact that they'll only ever return NXDOMAINs for negative results and not try to gently caress with redirects or landing pages. I get my internet from Google anyway.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

K3s if you want a lean, mean, all-in-one approach to learn the concepts without loving around with all the underlying nuts and bolts.
Kubernetes The Hard Way if you want more late nights getting deep in the guts of it all.
Kubeadm if you'd like something in between.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Sounds like you're going to use that Priority Pass to travel back in time and learn all the things you already needed to know to get the job.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

The LinkedIn apply counter also includes window shoppers, so don’t get discouraged if you see “15 applied” because all that means is 15 people hit the link to go to the external application. To my knowledge, they don’t have any way of knowing when someone actually completes the process.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Hotel Kpro posted:

Is a Cisco catalyst 2960 a good switch to learn basic networking on? I found one in the biomed backshop and I figure with all my free time I can set up a small network or something

Basic networking as in VLANs, port security, etc? Old as hell, but that'll do just fine. Hunt around for a second one and you can play with port channels, spanning tree, all that fun stuff.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Vargatron posted:

Does the term "internal customer" bother anybody else, or is it just me? jfc, they're our coworkers, we don't need to set up departments like we're a completely separate service entity.

Whenever I hear someone earnestly talking about “internal customers” I think about Max Barry’s novel Company, where everyone works for this massive generic corporation but nobody knows what the company actually does outside of the CEO, no one’s allowed to ask, and every department is just providing a service to some other department.

Haven’t touched that book in almost 20 years and I honestly don’t remember if it was even any good, but that bit stuck with me.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh I see you want a switch, well you’re going to need DNA center to go along with that and how about some infrastructure to run that on? Also our various web portals are contradictory, impossible to manage and our staff barely know anything about the product.

Don't forget to throw millions of dollars into Tetration, for some reason!

...Training budget? What training budget?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tadashi posted:

I don't understand how companies are able to operate if all their customers hate them.

In every large company on earth, there's an invisible magic line on the org chart that acts as an impenetrable barrier to any form of consequences. Most decision-making authority resides well above it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

"We took away their server room access, problem solved"