Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

It used to be that when a company representative promised something verbally then the company upheld its' end of the deal. I find it infuriating that any company thinks it can pull that poo poo and not have it come back and bite them on the rear end.

Every job contract I've ever signed had a section saying "any verbal commitments not outlined in this document are worth exactly nothing". In a situation where money and time off for classes is available and outside existing policy, why would anyone ever think it's ok to NOT get it in writing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

a guy from another department just got taken out so viciously by his own supervisor that even I am uncomfortable

Sounds like my organization. I'm on some developer mailing lists due to peripheral responsibilities and some the of the things I've seen them say to each other are absolutely brutal.

EDIT: It's bad enough that if I ever had a reason to e-mail one of those lists, I wouldn't. I'd go find an engineer on the list to ask my question of in person, in case I missed something.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 20, 2015

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

the spyder posted:

Odd situation: When I left my former employer, my boss had no issues with letting me take my ~3 year old Mac Book Air with me. We both agreed it was of no value to the company (age/no other Mac users). Two months pass. I get an email asking for it back. I responded politely, reminding him of our verbal agreement and that I would be happy to write them a check for the sellyourmac.com estimated value if this was a financial issue for them. Like most things done at that company, the was no witness @ the exit interview or anything in writing. If they push it further, I'll just switch to my other laptop and return it, but what a PITA.

Accounting: "where's asset tag #abc123"?
Ex-boss (not going to admit he let you walk with it): "that jerk the spyder must have kept it, I'll get it from him"

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

high six posted:

I do a whole lot less work than I did while delivering pizza and get paid a lot more. It's crazy.

For moments like these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVYHjEeYGFA

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Anyone ever feel like you kinda "chose wrong"? I love being a sys admin. I love projects. VMware is still the greatest thing in the world.

But I work so closely with developers that I always feel like they're actually creating a product and I just throw servers at a problem.

I don't know, I'm 33, I guess it's too late to change course (because I am not starting over at square one), but I do find myself wishing that I created something rather than just provided the infrastructure.

That feeling is why I try my hand at woodworking and motorcycle-wrenching. You get the satisfaction of creating something, and it's a distraction from work at the same time.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Methanar posted:

Having EVERYTHING be publicly routable is going to be important when the internet of things kicks in. Your toilet or whatever is going to be communicating with apple's iShit servers regarding your fiber intake which is going to communicate with your wifi enabled slippers, tea kettle etc.

Conversely, I don't really want anyone that isn't directly attached to my network talking to my toilet because I can't trust the toilet vendor to not leave 120 ports, including telnet and an SSHv1 server, open. NAT is pretty convenient poor man's firewall.

adorai posted:

NAT is an excellent example of security by obscurity and it does help, regardless of whether you should rely on that or not.

This.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

When you request your FYAD page, the connection stays open until the page is loaded, and so that is a separate connection than your buddy loading up YOSPOS.

The session information stored is port mapping information on the external interface.

EDIT: Link explains it better

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Laserface posted:

After speaking with the HR guy, its definitely below my pay grade, although I went back and threw a bunch of applications at genius/expert stuff too so lets see how they go - I work better with people in person than on the phone, for sure.

whats progression like within apple once you're in? easy to move between teams?

Late reply but here goes. You don't seriously get considered for other teams unless you've been with the company for more than a year. I've not met anyone that came in through retail / AC that didn't have 3-4 years in those orgs before jumping to corporate.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

FireSight posted:

We run Casper, but the Senior Support Services guy, the dude who doesn't want anyone but himself to have admin access to most poo poo, hasn't figured out how to use it to deploy updates or... really anything but get info off of the machines.

I'll see if I can badger him into figuring out how to push an updated file. Since that won't cost us any more money, he will probably get off my back on this project (and, you know, never actually bother figuring it out).

Casper is the best platform manager for the Mac and could totally do what you need it to do if your guy could be bothered to actually do it.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

KillHour posted:

I've had multiple HR people call me about jobs I applied for saying "It's not clear from your resume; do you have a degree?"

And I say "No, I have several relevant certificates from accredited schools and I have most of the credit hours for an associate's. I just never finished the degree."

The reply is "This position requires a degree." [hang up]

These are for network admin jobs.

Gotta fill that checkbox.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Just heard on a call:

"it's hard to confront your own mortality in the face of an IT project"

That should be the slogan for this :downs: project

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

<Airwatch being Airwatch>

I used to be a contract CE for them and they have been chucklefucks since the very beginning. This type of poo poo from them is never surprising.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You're being facetious, but I've never been nervous at work, I don't think. Someone should regale us with a story about a time that you thought, terrified, to yourself, "well that's it, I'm getting fired". As long as you're okay now and we can look back and laugh. If you're posting from the library, please don't.

For about 30 seconds, I thought I lost 100 TB of current and archival product marketing video footage at large computer company named after a fruit. Thankfully I had the SAN config backed up.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 19, 2016

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

When I see someone in a tie at the office, I immediately assume they're a vendor and trying to sell us something.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

Please educate me about Robert Half, Google isn't doing a great job.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They're trying to get in touch with your current management to replace your department with people getting paid less.

Don't tell them anything about your current pay or employer.

You tell them you're looking for a new job and what your salary requirements are, so they contact your management and say "SEKCobra is looking for a new gig, let us help you replace him on the cheap!" and your quiet job search is now a thing. Or they contact the CIO of your whole org and offer to outsource your entire department.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sepist posted:

There is one downside, I'm pretty sure my fiance is gonna leave me, she hates the hours I put in but all of this OT is going to pay for our wedding. She's used to my 9 - 5 as a contractor where you leave work at work.

My engagement didn't survive my first MSP job, mine was all the travel though.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I thought PMs having no clue was pretty much par for the course?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

At a US company for 3 years in Santa Clara valley: 3 weeks PTO and sick leave (different buckets), both rollable and bankable to some large number, up to 10 days of comp time as determined by my manager on a project performance basis, all bank holidays save for one, and traditionally the week of Thanksgiving off (just got the email last week)

EDIT: This made me look it up, and they are both bankable to 240 hours.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 14, 2016

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I would buy one :10bux:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

This is the Right and True answer. Don't bother with Apple's Profile Manager.

EDIT: Ha, first post on page 666 :getin:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

They will continue to treat you as a regular employee even though that violates federal labor laws.

This is the first thing I thought about. You're a statutory employee in this situation.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

TIL that blood letting is still a treatment for some diseases

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I live in 850 sq ft with my girlfriend, and it's a little cramped at times. I'd like to have a another office-type room and a garage.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I think I read in this thread that if you worked with Microsoft's own licensing team on your needs and they got it wrong or recommended the wrong thing MS was still like "too bad gently caress you"?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Dick, I've seen you post in the Healthcare Thread. Don't be Asproigerosis.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

TheFace posted:

I haven't had a single job in IT where having my BS in Computer Science mattered, outside of having a good start on programming skills that have helped me automate as much of every job as possible. And I'd argue that at this point I'd have learned that on my own anyway.

I think there's only been one that has even called the school to verify, and even that job had no educational requirement as long as you had enough relevant work experience.

Pretty much this. Discrete structures, file processing, etc all went right out the window as soon as I got my first post-uni job. It helps to be able to read some C every now and then, but I spend my days automating stuff with Python and my org treats me like I’m Prometheus coming down from Olympus with fire.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Microsoft is notorious for this. It's like a loving caste system, and the contractors are Untouchables.

Most of the large tech companies do this as well. There was a stink made a few years back in CA about contractors being statutory employees because they were being treated like employees, getting lunch and attending holiday parties and the like. So now they are excluded lest someone sue.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

Jamf has poo poo for more than just being an MDM. it does system imaging and some other stuff too, I guess.

though Apple's putting the axe to imaging flat out pretty soon, so that'll be real interesting.

You'll need a headcount just to build / maintain all the installer packages you'll need to keep around.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Anything else less than two weeks PTO in a professional setting in is an indication that something is really wrong and would give me pause about accepting a position there. Krispy is getting hosed, even with good insurance.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Vargatron posted:

South Carolina for me.

Heard that some growing up in Tennessee :sigh:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

myron cope posted:

Our company was bought by another last week. It won't be a finalized deal until it's approved by regulators in a couple states but of course it will be. I'm worried, but not tremendously. The biggest thing that would suck is losing this laid back job. We pretty much get to do what we want and not get bothered by bosses. As long as regular work gets done nobody goes crazy. But it's possible that the culture changes once the new owners are in place anyway.

Of course they're saying nothing will change, the acquisition doesn't need head count reduction, etc. But they almost have to say that kind of thing.

I always thought that the "nothing will change" statement during an acquisition really meant "please don't start leaving, we need to document what the talented people around here, the ones that could leave easily, do and what they know so we can then have your boss unceremoniously lay them off at 2 pm on a Friday, and then lay him off at 5".

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 1, 2018

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I took over running a video production house, and everything was the SAN. Can’t log in cause you locked out your account by banging your password in too many times with your sausage fingers? It’s the SAN. Printer not working? “The SAN isn’t letting me print!” Final Cut crashed because you made a 15GB project file in a 32bit program? “It’s the SAN, gonna go home ‘cause I can’t work :shrug:” Adobe Premiere crashed because Adobe? It’s the SAN.

I ended up hanging an LCD in the break room with a realtime status readout of all the infrastructure using stoplight-style indicators. Didn’t help.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Agrikk posted:

It’s because you have three raid-5 arrays striped in Raid-0.

It was actually 32 member RAID-0 where each member was 4 8-drive RAID-5s in a RAID-0

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 10, 2018

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

quote:

THIS IS EFFECTING PRODUCTION!

Mine were like this, for maximum :rolleyes:.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

While I wouldn't post it in a public place (esp. 'cause goons), I know what all my team members make and what a lot of co-workers in other groups in my division make. Honestly, there aren't many surprises there. Fortune 5 company.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

oh my god

"I did this painting of cherry blossoms while I was living in Okinawa. It's been a favorite of my customers for years, and looks good in any setting. The original is sold, but if you'd like to commission a similar painting, I love doing commission work."

"You want me to put what on it?"

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

A well known university medical center wants to hire me for a substantial boost over my current salary. However, I have only been in my current job for 6 months and my boss is well known in the field, so moving so soon might earn me some bad guy points in the community. What would you do?

Your boss would make the same jump for a "substantial boost", and you should too.

GreenNight posted:

GET PAID YO

This.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Full tunnels, ugh

BUT MUH DATA...DLP DLP DLP!

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

I don’t know what it is with DVR systems, but for sending video quality that looks like poo poo, it sure sucks up bandwidth. If someone views cameras at another site, it can easily take 9mbps out of a 10mbps link. Meanwhile two video conference units can talk at 1080p for around 2.

The few systems I messed all used MPEG-2 which isn't nearly as efficient as more modern streaming options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No matter where you go, the entire IT department is 2 people and the entire establishment is comprised of Karens.
Everything is a pile of poo poo that was cobbled together 20 years ago (regardless of when you start working there) and nobody will ever spend money on anything.

Also the semester just started and "NOBODY CAN CONNECT THEIR IPADS TO THE WI-FI OH MY GOD WHAT DO WE PAY YOU FOR?!?!?" there was never wi-fi

This.

This environment also creates either A) the best services consultants ever or B) the worst curmudgeonly neckbeard IT guys ever. When I ran a team at a MSP, I recruited almost exclusively from education. The good ones that could deal with making the aforementioned 20-year-old poo poo work for the Karens in the office had no issue going on-site to a customer's location.