Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Different topic: anyone tried out Dell's newish PowerEdge FX2 ~*converged infrastructure*~ gear? We're about to do a major data center refresh and were planning to go with a bunch of typical rackmount boxes. But our Dell rep pointed out this option and it looks pretty interesting. FX2 seems to sit someplace between a full-on blade system and traditional rackmount. Sort of like their VRTX product on steroids.
I just quickly looked at Dell's website for these. Is it supposed to be Babby's First Blade Chassis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Business Question,

Why did IBM spin-off their hardware division, as did HP yet Dell has decided to do the opposite?

I recognize that from the IBM Perspective hardware is now a commodity and there's more to be gained from Software and Services.
"Hardware division" is overly broad. They got rid of the PC business years ago, point of sale systems in 2012ish, and chip fabs and xSeries (x86) servers last year. They still make the POWER platform, mainframe, and storage (disk and tape). The low-end systems had gotten too commoditized, none of it fit in with IBM's enterprisey strategic plan of services, consulting, big data, analytics, cloud, etc. The remaining hardware all meshes with those goals well.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Right, but Dell's keeping the low-end stuff but the again Dell only answers to itself which kind of cool?
Yeah, since Dell's gone private again they have a unique ability to think, plan, and execute a strategy, rather than furiously ping pong from fad to fad in order to keep the shareholders happy. I've never been a fan of Dell hardware but I'm genuinely interested in the company now just as an experiment.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

KS posted:

We have Cisco UC phones and I could buy nice video endpoints, but maybe there's a simple point to point solution I'm missing?
It's not hard to make a video call. Rather than some magic button or motion activated thing, just put a video phone on his desk and a little placard explaining the whole 3 steps of how to start a video call for anyone who might not know how.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

PCjr sidecar posted:

unikernels are this month's microkernels
I completely fail to understand how unikernels are a good or useful thing. You can't fork, one process has complete control of the system. It's basically DOS where the OS is a glorified loader that passes hardware control to a given program. Maybe I'm still thinking pets, not herd, but can someone explain why unikernel architecture is relevant?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

DigitalMocking posted:

Having worked for an Israeli company for a couple of years I can honestly say that double my current salary wouldn't be enough to make me go back.
:justpost: stories.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

Upstate NY too. They were all over that poo poo (and still are). People seem to be under the impression it's classy.
Where upstate? Western NY seems to be pretty solid craft beer territory, the only other fizzy booze encroaching seems to be cider.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Christ, how many SH/SC people are there in Buffalo? We need to throw a goon meet or something.
I'd drive over from Rochester for a few hours of wings, beer, and awkward conversation.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Bring me a garbage plate while you're at it.
It's a deal. There's a good chance that will be my dinner tonight or tomorrow now that you've brought them up.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

What awesome connectors
As with conventional plumbing, joints were the weakest points, where it was most likely the token could leak out of the network. Sturdy connectors were an attempt to mitigate this risk.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

What does this even mean? Is he offering to give you a nickname?

Assistant TO the Regional Manager

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, maybe wearing the gloves would be a good thing since every fucker and their loving mother wants to talk about WHITE GLOVE SERVICE.
Not to mention how loving disgusting most people's keyboards and other peripherals are. Maybe they should be talking about RUBBER GLOVE SERVICE.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Working in IT 98 SE: Family can wait, servers/storage/network can not
Working in IT 95: It is now safe to turn off your computer

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I have no idea if the last two posts are even things
Clearly you've never installed Flubber and Cottonball to manage a Hemoglobin instance.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

At least two of these three are real projects for Minecraft servers
I've spent too much time with IBM systems. I can tell you how to IPL a VIO LPAR on a E890 and then LPM it to another system, but I'll be damned if I can figure out all the nonsense words that have been applied to cloud products. And I'm only 29.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, is an LPAR directly analogous to a virtual machine?
Yes. An LPAR is a Logical PARtition. It's basically just IBM's term for virtualization, since it was invented as a mainframe technology in the 70's. There are some differences between LPARing on mainframes and POWER systems. I'll discuss POWER LPARing because it's more consistent with x86 virtualization than mainframe, which was, is and forever shall be off in its own world, and to explain mainframe LPARing I'd have to also teach you channel IO which is pretty arcane.

WARNING: Oversimplification ahead. Feel free to ask me to elaborate. The POWER hypervisor is a little less apparent to the administrator than ESX, for example, simply because the hardware and software grew up together, rather than a way to abstract away the hardware from the software. The hypervisor is baked into the server firmware, and starts every time you power up the system. Even a system running only one instance of an OS still runs it in an LPAR. Like x86 virt, LPARing still functions as a traffic cop, controlling images' access to resources. Let's say you have a bare metal server with 8 CPU's, 128GB of memory, and IO adapters in PCI slots 1-6. When you create an LPAR, you assign resources to it just like you would an x86 VM: 4 CPU's, 32 GB memory, and the IO adapters in slots 1, 2, and 3, then you activate the LPAR (power on the VM) and it's off to the races. However a traditional LPAR gives a 1:1 mapping to resources. So the next LPAR you create can have up to 4 CPU's, up to 96GB memory, and the IO adapters in slots 4, 5, and 6.

If you want additional virtualization beyond this, you assign as much hardware as you want to share in the server to one LPAR and run IBM VIO (Virtual IO) Server on that LPAR, which can then present virtualized resources to other LPARs. So on a system with a VIO Server, you can then have other LPARs sharing resources: multiple virtual ethernet adapters in multiple LPARs mapped to one physical card, fractional CPU's, etc.

Sorry that this was a bit of a ramble, as I said, ask me to clarify if you need.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

alg posted:

Edit: we have WPARs :(
They never got much traction among any of my customers. Probably smelled too much like Solaris zones and scared them off.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

What's wrong with Solaris zones?
AIX WPARs feel like a half-hearted response to Solaris zones, and it's just not really a thing that IBM gives a lot of attention to or something most true blue shops are interested in. Solaris zones are fine... if you're a Sun shop.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

waggles posted:

I have a question for you IT people. My brother's employer got hit by a MAC Flooding and it is getting worse. I got a good idea of what it is but I want to know if it can be fixed before data can be stolen and if it is possible to trace the person who did it. Everything I found so far is about how to prevent it.
Talk to larches' CE. It's very similar to an etherblast.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

Normally I would be like "why do you want to stay in Buffalo" but i understand.
As someone from Rochester, Buffalo is so much better than basically all of NJ. Hi from down the Thruway, KillHour

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Also, when are all the WNY computer goons getting together for a beer? There's a lot of us.
Who else is from WNY?

Nerdrock posted:

(I vote everyone comes to Jamestown and we sperg up the Southern Tier brewery)
Jamestown is a haul from Rochester but I'd gladly schlep down there during Pumking season to give a high five to the glorious bastards who make the only pumpkin beer I truly enjoy.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

gooby pls posted:

Come to Albany and hang with the capital region goons. :q:
I grew up in the 518 (Ichabod Crane district :laffo:) and miss the Hudson Valley area. Albany is pretty dry though unless you work for the state. Do you work for the state?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

When I signed up for Myspace a decade ago, I put my zip code in as 12345, so it said I was from Schenectady. That's my upstate NY story, thanks for reading.
Skank-ectady.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

gooby pls posted:

Network engineer for a medium size-ish health care organization.
A certain physicians health plan or the most valuable sort?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

AD presentation
:words:
active domain
Repeat after me: Active Directory.

Or just "Domain," because almost nobody uses Open Directory or eDirectory/NDS anymore.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Proctor of Technology
Proctology for short.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Can anyone recommend a beginners MySQL, PostGres, Oracel, etc Udemy course? Doesnt have to be specific to a vendor but this is a real blank spot for me knowledge wise and I wouldnt mind be able to learn enough to do some very simple db work.
Is Oracel like Active Domain?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
This is my last week working in field service for a global megacorp. Next week I start a systems/storage admin job with municipal government. I hope it's warm in my pod. :toot:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it."
Is he working for the Clinton campaign? :patriot:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

I used verse, why IBM thinks that is some new breakthrough product I have no idea. It's poo poo.
Because someone just finally showed IBM how to do AJAX or HTML5 programming and all their minds are blown with this bold new frontier of the World Wide Web.

alg posted:

In the last year I've used Notes, Groupwise, and Outlook :shepicide:
I still think Groupwise is superior to Exchange. I don't know enough about the Notes backend to compare, but the client is far and away the worst of the three. Resource mailbox handling in Groupwise is still far superior, and when the hell is Exchange going to figure out single-instance storage?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

The System Storage stuff has had some top-tier web interface stuff happening for a long time
That all came from XIV, which was an acquisition.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

Had that happen swapping out the controller on a DS4800 once.
Once they got the code stable the FastT/DS4K stuff was INDESTRUCTIBLE. :patriot:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

A lot of these things are run by real-time mainframe applications that have been in 24/7 operation since the eighties. I don't even know how you would fail over something like that.

Greenfield's got easy answers to everything.
This is entirely what the mainframe shines at. z/TPF, IBM's ultra-high-performance mainframe OS for transaction processing, is built with incredible fault-tolerance in mind. The systems have high degrees of redundancy down to the component level in the processor, channel, and attached device hardware. Then you can link multiple systems together in a parallel sysplex, which basically uses a lot of wizardry and some very specialized peripherals to sync up systems clock for clock to guarantee availability. Additionally, most customers who run local parallel sysplexes can then build those into a geographically dispersed parallel sysplex to ensure availability worldwide. The most important infrastructure in the world doesn't still run on mainframes just because they're too slow and stupid to get off COBOL, it's because mainframes have better uptime than anything else.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

I'm surprised IBM is so much larger than Google.
I'm sure IBM has been able to market well to older megacorps simply by virtue of "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM," and the company's 105 years of positive brand equity. Plus they doubtlessly kept a lot of their smaller, newer customers that came on when Softlayer was still independent.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Chiming in because :smug:

20 days paid vacation, 13 paid holidays, 5 personal days, 1 sick day a month up to 180 sick days total. The vacation and personal days also roll over up to something silly like 180 days. You can sell back vacation time. Free healthcare. Pension. Take that, Denmark.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 5, 2020

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

The consumer wireless thread is buried. Anyone messed around with AmpliFi yet?
I have one at home. It's absolutely perfect for my old house with plaster walls that had consistent coverage issues with a single central router/access point. The machine looks nice and is well built, and the management app is very sensible too. I love being able to turn on a guest SSID on a timer for a few hours if I'm having people over or something. It's been very reliable, no uptime issues, no noticeable throughput issues.

My only gripe is that it's all or none with respect to using the built-in services or being in "bridge" mode. I'd like to use my own DHCP and DNS servers, but rely on the router to do NAT, port forwarding, that sort of thing, and the software doesn't allow me to split individual services out like that.

Ask away!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Does it auto NAT, or can you just use it like a wireless LAN controller as the gateway and use static routing to get to other networks?
I can't remember if it NATs in bridge mode. I don't think it does. I tried it when I first got it, and I think because it wasn't doing NAT/routing was why I switched it back to set-it-and-forget-it home router mode. Here's their silly little explanation of Bridge Mode, for what it's worth.
https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/220979347-Does-AmpliFi-support-bridge-mode-

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

How about we get a thin client that doesn't suck?
The last time I used thin clients in any meaningful capacity was Wyse terminals in a Citrix Metaframe (lol) environment on a mixed 10/100 campus network circa 2006, and they all worked in a very no-suck way. :confused:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

They were still doing stack ranking? As far as I am aware, the business "community" has recognized the lack of positive results of stack so far that GE - where it originated no longer uses it and neither does MSFT.

Unless, they're trying to downsize...
IBM got rid of it about a year ago as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

I'm not married to HP, I've heard they're kind of always the worst compared to Konica Minolta / Brother etc. but who knows these days, they probably all come out of the same factory.
Check out Toshiba. We're moving to them from Xerox and it's like bouncing from Hell straight into God's lap.