Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, with some urging from a friend, I picked up the new trilogy core set. I'm heading to a gaming get together tonight and the other people have expressed interest in seeing how the game works.

I don't have infinite money, but I'd also like to ensure that all four people present can participate if necessary.

Would getting another single X-Wing (2 X-Wings vs 2 TIES) be reasonably balanced or should I do something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'd like some thread opinions on some lists I've been working on. My Rebel ship collection is two T-70s, an A-Wing and a B-Wing; I'm going to proxy all the upgrades, but I'm not buying anymore ships for a while.

pre:
Dual X-Wings (99)

Jake Farrell — A-Wing 	24
Wired 	1
Chardaan Refit 	-2
Push the Limit 	3
A-Wing Test Pilot 	0
Ship Total: 26

"Red Ace" — T-70 X-Wing 	29
R2-D2 	4
Comm Relay 	3
Integrated Astromech 	0
Ship Total: 36

Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing 	31
Push the Limit 	3
R5-P9 	3
Integrated Astromech 	0
Ship Total: 37
VS

pre:
ABX-Wing (100)

Jake Farrell — A-Wing 	24
Veteran Instincts 	1
Chardaan Refit 	-2
Push the Limit 	3
Autothrusters 	2
A-Wing Test Pilot 	0
Ship Total: 28

Keyan Farlander — B-Wing 	29
Stay On Target 	2
Advanced Sensors 	3
Intelligence Agent 	1
B-Wing/E2 	1

"Red Ace" — T-70 X-Wing 	29
R2-D2 	4
Comm Relay 	3
Integrated Astromech 	0

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

If you want to run PTL on Poe Dameron, you'll also want to swap from R5-P9 to BB-8, in my opinion, which gives you an increased flexibility in where Poe will end up if you're going to limit yourself to green maneuvers anyway. Barrel Roll+Boost is a good way to get a lot of early discretionary movement, or Barrel Roll+Focus if you want to Boost at the end of your maneuver, or whatever - this also makes you more versatile in when you want to just drop the combo and do a T-Roll or a white 2-speed turn and open up on a guy. Either swap the Astromechs, or give Poe Adaptability/Veteran Instincts for his Elite and move last/shoot first. If you drop PTL from Poe and go to Adaptability, you free up exactly enough points to upgrade both of your aces to Autothrusters, which is great. And if you're going to A-Wing for sure anyway, Jake Farrell with PTL is the way to go, I feel, barring some stress-driven theatrics from Tycho.

So something like this?

pre:
 Dual X-Wings (100)

Jake Farrell — A-Wing	24
Wired	1
Chardaan Refit	-2
Push the Limit	3
Autothrusters	2
A-Wing Test Pilot	0
Ship Total: 28

Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing	31
Push the Limit	3
BB-8	2
Integrated Astromech	0

"Red Ace" — T-70 X-Wing	29
R2-D2	4
Comm Relay	3
Integrated Astromech	0

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Otisburg posted:

"Saber Flight, This is Saber One. I'm picking up three contact at point seven. Rolling in to engage. Tally Ho! Saber Two, cover my wing."
"Roger, Fel. Good hunting!"
"Stand by, I'm getting some kind of interference on my internal comms, it sounds like--"
*JEDI ROCK ERUPTS UNCONTROLLABLY AT FULL BLAST IN SOONTIR'S COCKPIT*

"YUB YUB BARON FEL!"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I tried to introduce a friend (and myself) to the game without actions and it's really dull and boring. I'm introducing another friend this week and I'm going to try one X-Wing vs two TIEs with actions and see if that works better.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wait, so can Bren basically use Crack Shot every single turn?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Can you do a Brobots list with just stuff from IG-2000?

Edit: Somehow I forgot to refresh before posting.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Devlan Mud posted:

My second copy of Imperial Aces arrived today, so I can finally have the vignette of a Lambda shuttle flanked by a pair of Royal Guard TIE Interceptors in my curio cabinet. Also, I can try out the awful list of Jendon, ST-321, Palpatine; Carnor Jax, PtL, RGT, Stealth, Thrusters; Kir Kanos, RGT, Stealth, Thrusters. I'm sure Angelo would only give me 3/5 points since ST-321 is actually Vader's shuttle...

e: I also have nine copies of PtL now...

Did you buy 5 A-Wings or something?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If you have R2-D6 and Integrated Astromech and you discard the Astromech to negate a hit, do you lose the Elite talent?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Foolster41 posted:

I came up with a silly gimick list, though I couldn't fit it in 100 points so I made it 150 points:

Fox Squadron (150 Points)

Luke Skywalker (R2-D2, Proton Torpedoes, Expert Handling ("Do a barrel roll!"), Engine Upgrade ("Use a boost to get through!") - 37 Points
Ace: When defending, you may change 1 of your results to a result.

Garven Dreis (R2-D6 (Radioed Advice), Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade, Squad Leader) - 42 Points
"Don't give up, trust your instincts": After spending a focus token, you may place that token on any other friendly ship at Range 1-2 (instead of discarding it).

Biggs Darklighter (R2-F3, Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade) - 36 Points
"I can't get this guy off me!": Other friendly ships at Range 1 cannot be targeted by attacks if the attacker could target you instead.

Tarn Mison (R5-K6, Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade) - 33 Points
"Time for some payback!": When an enemy ship declares you as the target of an attack, you may acquire a target lock on that ship.

That's fantastic. I'm going to see if I can make a Star Wolf list now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Foolster41 posted:

I came up with a silly gimick list, though I couldn't fit it in 100 points so I made it 150 points:

Fox Squadron (150 Points)

Luke Skywalker (R2-D2, Proton Torpedoes, Expert Handling ("Do a barrel roll!"), Engine Upgrade ("Use a boost to get through!") - 37 Points
Ace: When defending, you may change 1 of your results to a result.

Garven Dreis (R2-D6 (Radioed Advice), Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade, Squad Leader) - 42 Points
"Don't give up, trust your instincts": After spending a focus token, you may place that token on any other friendly ship at Range 1-2 (instead of discarding it).

Biggs Darklighter (R2-F3, Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade) - 36 Points
"I can't get this guy off me!": Other friendly ships at Range 1 cannot be targeted by attacks if the attacker could target you instead.

Tarn Mison (R5-K6, Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade) - 33 Points
"Time for some payback!": When an enemy ship declares you as the target of an attack, you may acquire a target lock on that ship.

Star Wolf (150 Points)

Carnor Jax (PtL, Autothrusters, Stealth Device) - 34 points
"Can't let you do that Skywalker!": Enemy ships at Range 1 cannot perform focus or evade actions and cannot spend focus or evade tokens.

Soontir Fel (PtL, Autothrusters, Stealth Device) - 35 points
"Annoying Rebels, I am the Great Baron Fel!": When you receive a stress token, you may assign 1 focus token to your ship.

Turr Phennir (VI, Autothrusters, Stealth Device) - 31 points
"The Emperor's enemy is my enemy!": After you perform an attack, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action.

Tetran Cowall (VI, Autothrusters, Stealth Device) - 30 points
"You can't beat me, I've got a better ship!": When you reveal a K-Turn maneuver, you may treat the speed of that maneuver as "1," "3," or "5".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I really hope FFG releases pilot cards for Wraith Squadron.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sure, but Kell, Runt, Face and Phanan don't.

Nor does Lt Kettch.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Otisburg posted:

What about Horse Head Guy? Whatever his name was. Bo Shekk Horseman?

That was Runt.

Technically, Hohass Ekwesh, but no one called him that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

There was a bit in the Xwing Rogue Squadron book where they used an Ewok as a pilot or something.

That's also from Wraith Squadron. Wedge pilots a TIE with a toy Ewok strapped to his flight suit.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

It surprises me that the official acrylic tokens are still worth so much, but I won't complain. The number of bags of shield tokens I was able to earn got me somewhere around $500 because people were paying upwards of $15/token. It's crazy!

:catstare: WHY?!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Brobots: IG88s in Aggressors, two of them, with Heavy Laser Cannons and... other stuff. They share each other's pilot abilities, and are shockingly agile for big ships.

Thug Life: 4x Twin Laser Turret Scum Syndicate Thug y-wings with Unhinged Astromechs.

Vader in a TIE Advanced, Zeta Ace is a low PS TIE f/o pilot who acts as a PS12 until damaged, Whisper is the PS7 Phantom pilot.

Roark Garnet is a HWK pilot who makes an ally PS12, R5 astromech flips a crit facedown once per round. Seems like R2 would be better on that build, and overall seems like a build that I'm shocked made it to top 4 in a tournament, HWKs pretty much universally suck and die.

Zeta Ace uses the 2 template for its barrel rolls, Epsilon Ace is the PS12.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Theoretically, I believe so then.

I'd personally put expert Handling instead if you are doing this though. The barrel roll is very useful on an awing.

I actually came up with that on my own, because free barrel rolls and shedding target locks sounded awesome.

Edit: Besides Squad Leader, the only other EPT with an Action that looks good for an A-Wing would be Daredevil; Expert Handling costs a point less and the free barrel roll sounds more useful than a free 1 hard turn.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 7, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gerdalti posted:

Does TIE Shuttle let you slot Palpatine? "You cannot equip a Crew Upgrade card that costs more than 4 squad points".

Accurate, but missing the joke.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gerdalti posted:

I'm probably too new to get jokes, apologies. :)

Don't worry, it's not a particularly good one.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's what it looks like to me, but maybe we're missing something?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's really nice.

Can FFG license Star Fox just long enough to release a set of Arwings and whatever Star Wolf flew?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That still pushes it up to 9 green dice, right? Base 2, +2 for cloak, +1 for Stealth Device, +2 for Range 3, +1 for Zuckuss, +1 for obstruction.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

With three Interceptors, three FOs and not a lot of upgrades, there's only so much you can do, but I kind of like this:

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Wired (1)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Push the Limit (3)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Boba Fett crew seems insane, Dengar crew is realgood, the ship has a goddamn white S-Loop what the gently caress.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

Correct me if I'm missing something but, PTL can only perform actions in your action bar, and even if it could do an action on an upgrade card it doesn't get around the limit of only performing an action once per round.

That does sound correct.

Experimental Interface would work.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tekopo posted:

No hull upgrade if you take EI

overdesigned posted:

EI would lose you the hull upgrade and you can still only do an individual action once per round.

True enough. I guess PtL to get the shield first and do something else is good enough.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Phantom is awesome, Defender is awesome, stop arguing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

If you think Soontir Fel is a better option at this point than Omega Leader is, yep, we just don't agree. I don't even think Soontir Fel is one of the five most attractive options for an Empire list at this point. The stuff that beats Fel crushes him.

Pray tell, what are the five most attractive options?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

FFG please release full repaints and pilot cards of all Rogue Squadron members during the Bacta War, thanks. :allears:

I'd love to get the custom Bacta War X-Wing paint jobs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

lazerus06 posted:

My friend gave me a Howl Runner and Backstabber Tie pilot cards but I do not have the cardboard bases. Is there somewhere I can print of the card board bases? I wouldn't use them in any tournaments obviously but just for fun with friends.

If you're just playing for fun, any TIE base should work. The stats will all be the same except for PS and you can reference the card.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

Interested to see the list you ran, and interested as to why you think VI Vader is more expensive than Whisper. My thinking with Whisper is to always go 40+ points or bust, but that's also largely a product of having the room for it in POW. What's your take?

I think the expense spaceinvader is talking about is in dollars, not squad points.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I flew kind of poorly and didn't focus fire the right X-Wing I think. Probably. I don't know, I'm still pretty bad at this game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I still chose to go after Ello instead of Regen Poe.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'd drop Autothrusters for Integrated Astromech on one of the T-70s to get under 100.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Agent Kallus reads "at the start of the first round," so shouldn't that mean that you select the ship at the start of the game and only then?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I guess I was misinterpreting your mnemonic mantra to be the things you have to remember for every round.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That was great, Poe owns, Ackbar owns.

Poe getting those last two TIEs was fantastic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

My Bespin playmat is shipping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think I'll start experimenting with making actual noises for my fighters.

My new set of acrylic movement templates is set to arrive tonight, along with range 1 and 2 range rulers. My Bespin playmat and my new shipment of ships should be arriving on Monday. I am very excited.

• Locked thread