Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

jivjov posted:

It's not like wave 5 and 6 have delayed Rebel Aces at all. If I recall, RA is on the boat already. It's done, developed, manufactured, and is being shipped back to the states.

This is the stuff coming out after RA, not preempting it.

Shipping hell, they've already been released at GenCon. Sold out quick too, but not before I was able to grab one. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm disappointed that the A4 upgrade doesn't give them a crew slot, but depending on how you set it up being able to shoot twice in a single turn may very well be crazy enough on its own.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You do realise that painting a rebel flag Falcon would definitely make you 'that guy' don't you?

If it were any other context I might agree with you, but come on it's the General Lee. I don't think there's a single person (Outside of you guys I guess) that would mistake it as a genuine support of the CSA as opposed to a silly reference.

Now, he still shouldn't do it anyway, because the flag simply doesn't look good draped across the back of the Falcon as it is. What might look good, though, is instead of putting the Confederate flag you could put the Rebel Crest, which fits a bit more with both the aesthetic and the dimensions of the Falcon. It'd be worth a try, at any rate.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So I just picked up a pair of K-Wings, and is it just me or is the Twin-Laser Turret kinda ridiculous? Am I reading it wrong, or does it really let you roll six shots that can't be evaded? Because if so, I'm gonna start fielding four Gold Squadron pilots with TLTs and laughing maniacally.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
This may be because I haven't played in a while and I can't remember the specific terminology. I'm reading "Each time this attack hits" as "Each time you roll a hit result", but obviously I'm probably wrong.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So, is the card absolutely terrible then? For only doing two damage max that can't crit. six points seems pretty steep.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
That makes sense. It does make my Y-Wing Death Blob idea slightly less effective, though :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

alg posted:

Wave 7 just got to my FLGS. Can't wait for TLT Y-wings :getin:

alg posted:

TLT trip report: :getin:

Horton is finally worth flying :swoon:

You guys know what I love.

So quick backdrop: I'm moving down to DC for grad school, and decided to have a dumb free for all with two of my friends with each of us flying one of the factions. I'd picked up two K-Wings at GenCon, and since they come with two TLT each (And I'd just split the Most Wanted set with my Scum-flying friend to pick up the Y-Wing cards), I decided to go all-out. Four Gold Squadron Pilots, all with titles, TLTs, and R2 Astromechs, going up against Bossk, Boba, Echo, and Whisper. And holy poo poo, did they own. We each started in a corner, and of course the Scum player and I start baring down at each other. Two turns and a K-Turn later, Bossk is dead, the emergency Headhunter is dead, Boba's taken damage, and all four of my Y-Wings are intact and facing the Phantoms. By the end of the game, I still had two Y-Wings left having functionally fought a 1v2 (My opponents never fired a shot at each other, each one more focused on "those loving Y-Wings" :v:) Seriously, the damage output with the TLT is just obscene, and I'm really tempted to try to register for NOVA with this list if there's still any spots left.

One question did pop up during the game, though-after my Y-Wings K-Turned and started shooting at Bossk, one of them ended up killing him with its primary weapon attack-and then the emergency Headhunter was still in its firing arc. Could it have used its second attack to target the Headhunter? I was pretty sure I could, but we decided against it since A) it wasn't necessary (It got shredded by all the other Y-Wings) and B) my friends were of the opinion that it would have been "Complete bullshit". Is there anything in the FAQ about performing multiple attacks against different targets?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of Y-wings and dumb, obscure "EU" characters, I've always been disappointed Lt. Telsij, aka the "There's too many of them" guy, isn't in X-wing. I mean, dude survived Endor in a Y-wing, that has to make you an automatic badass, right?

I've always been annoyed that Keyan Farlander is in a B-Wing myself, because it wrecks your ability to fly Death Star scenarios with all the named characters who were there in the ships they were in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Strobe posted:

That is a fine looking card and I would fly that ship.

This, seriously. I'd love to see what you could do with a Y-Wing that had a native EPT.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'd be careful about loading that much ordnance on the K-Wing-they're durable, but they're not THAT durable, and in any case you're never going to be able to burn through that much ordnance-especially if you're planning on using the TLT to regenerate shields.

Edit: Also, you know what's hilarious? Conner Nets. Throw them on some cheap low-skill Y-Wings, maneuver them right next to some expensive ship, and drop the templates directly on their base for some good old fashioned fun.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 31, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Stickman posted:

This one is suspicious. It's possible, but the probability of 37 evades in a row is one in five quintillion! That means if there are one million x-wing players in the world who average 100 games a year, we'd still expect to have to wait about 50 million years before anyone rolled 37 evades as the first 37 green dice of a game. Did he have some "special" rolling technique?

E: Getting 37 evades in a row in the first 37 green dice of a game is 10 billion times less likely than winning the powerball!

poo poo happens. I once played a game of 40K where my opponent didn't fail a single armor save (And these were Necrons, so it was all 3+ and 4+ saves).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I almost want to get it just for the Rage card so I can put it on Tycho. Between that and PtL I'm gonna be stacking stress tokens up to the goddamn ceiling.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
If nothing else the sequel might end up getting called Rogue Squadron with a bigger emphasis on fighter combat, since if nothing else there's no other potential sequel name for Rouge One that doesn't sound dumb as hell.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Kai Tave posted:

2 Rogue 2 Rebellious

I stand corrected.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So I'm considering going to a local tournament tonight, and since my last attempt failed hideously I figured I'd go with something different:

quote:

Wedge Antilles [R2 Astromech, Juke, Integrated Astromech] (32)

Garven Dreis [R2-D6, Integrated Astromech, Decoy] (29)

Kyle Katarn [Jan Ors, Moldy Crow] (26)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

99 points

How bad does this list look? My idea was that the HWK and Garven could feed evades/focus tokens to Wedge to increase both his survivablity and his lethality, with the Headhunter filling out the rest of the available points. But, I don't fly that often, so this list could also be hideously awful :v: What do you guys think?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

hoiyes posted:

Your hawk doesn't have a turret? Juke is wasted on Wedge vs AG 0 & 1 ships and when the HWK dies it's useless. You probably don't want to decoy Wedge to shoot later in the round. It's very janky and likely to fall apart very quickly. Funny when it all comes together though.

thespaceinvader posted:

I always think Juke on something that can't natively take an action to pick up an evade on its own is hella risky. It's easy to block or destroy the token source, and then you've wasted 2 points and an EPT slot that's not doing anything.

Yeah, those are good points. I think my biggest problem with writing lists is that I always want to try and come up with some nifty gimmick, without ever taking the time to think about how effective it actually is or how quickly it will fall apart. :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Strobe posted:

Also that they would all have to suck. Ships that predate modern craft by 30 years are not going to be better than modern craft.

"Better" is subjective. Obviously the F-22 (Introduced in 2005) is going to fly the wings off an F-15 (Introduced in 1976) in a dogfight. But the F-15 is also a hell of a lot cheaper, still incredibly capable, and benefits from modern missiles, avionics, and other upgrades. And that's not even going into specialized aircraft-we're still using the U-2 (Introduced in 1957) in the reconnaissance role, and the manned jet speed record is still held by the SR-71, set all the way back in 1976. We might be building "Better" aircraft today, but you can't pretend that just because something's old that it's not still capable.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Strobe posted:

Of course people would still play TIEs. I still play T-65s. They are both serviceable ships, but clearly individually worse than the two ships that succeed them. The problem is that you can't make ships much worse than they are while still having a place in the game. A worse T-65 is a Headhunter, and it's as bad and cheap as you can make a ship in this game. Everything contemporary with prequel ships must be worse than modern ships (and we now have a clear progression, so that's not merely a guess), and there simply isn't an appreciable game space for ships that are worse than what we have.

I think the biggest contention is that you're seemingly under the impression the prequel ships would all be direct predecessors to GCW ships in playstyle, but worse, which pretty clearly isn't the case. Take the ARC-170-it's a predecessor to the X-Wing, sure, but you can bet your bottom dollar it would fly very differently from a traditional X-Wing, especially with the rear mounted turret. And the Jedi Starfighter is a predecessor to the A-Wing, but it's also got access to an astromech-something no A-Wing has.

It would take a bit of tweaking, sure, but (Most) of the prequel ships would likely fit into X-Wing pretty well, mechanics-wise. Really, the only issue is figuring out which faction to put them in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Geisladisk posted:

There are two real reason why they'll never do prequel ships:

1) What faction do they fit into? Is the Jedi Starfighter a Empire or Rebel ship?? The Republic is the predecessor of the Empire in the same way that the Rebellion is the predecessor of the Resistance. But it would be super weird to have Obi-Wan as a Empire pilot.

2) All the prequel ships are dumb and unmemorable and not one of them is even close to as iconic as any of the OT ships.

The factions would be thorny, but the second point's both wrong and irrelevant. I mean to start out with, many of the OT ships are only iconic because they've been able to benefit of 30+ years of aggressive marketing-not to mention the fact that a lot of the cooler prequel ship designs suffered from not getting much time in the spotlight. But like I said, whether or not they're at all iconic or memorable is pretty drat irrelevant-FFG is already scraping the bottom of the barrel for EU poo poo, and if the ARC-170 or Jedi Starfighter weren't prequel ships then there's a good chance they'd have already been released.

I for one am fairly certain they're going to release the prequel ships sooner or later, if only out of necessity-even with an EU as giant and bloated as Star Wars, there's still only so many fake starships to go around. Eventually they're going to have to turn to the prequel ships, and by then it's a question of how and when-not if.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Otisburg posted:

Not now that Disney owns The Star Wars, is aware of the fact that Star Wars is Stormtroopers, TIEs, and X-Wings rather than Space Asians and trade routes, and will be releasing at least one film per year or two until long after we are all skeletons.

This would be a good point if the people making the movies knew or cared about designing starships explicitly for some dumb miniatures game. Hell, just look at the most recent movie-there were what, 2-3 new ships in there that are a good fit for X-Wing? FFG releases ~3 waves of 4 ships per year, and the design process requires lead time. They'll be able to get new ships out of Rebels, the new movies, and whatever other comics and games come out in the next few years, but that's not going to be as nearly a reliable stream of content as you seem to think it will be.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Devlan Mud posted:

Are you trying to say that neither Disney or Lucasfilm "gets" merchandising? :ironicat:

I'm not saying they don't get merchandising, I'm saying they're not going to give the filmmakers a quota of how much new content they need per film just to justify new releases for one licensed game that's effectively a blip in their radar. We'll get new stuff through the films, just not as much new stuff as FFG would need to continue dropping releases at their current rate.

Otisburg posted:

Honestly I get a vibe like FFG would rather release the Buick from Rogue Squadron before they start farming the prequels for content.

Not gonna lie I'd buy ten.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Devlan Mud posted:

Because literally the only thing Star Wars related that Disney can sell spaceships for is X-Wing: The Miniatures Game.

Toy companies don't require 10-12 new ships per year.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Improbable Lobster posted:

There has to be someone making tiny Buicks in X-Wing scale somewhere

On a similar note, I know I've been tempted for a while to pick up one of these.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Ghost lists in general has a high capacity for dickishness. Just a few days ago I played a guy who had a combination of a TLT, FCS, Lando, and Kanan Jarrus on his with Biggs running backup and it was the worst.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Chill la Chill posted:

That's my home store (for x-wing; magic? ehhhhh) but won't be playing there until June. Have fun! It's a great group of guys* and Steve was trying to bring the trophy home as a club spirit totem. I just love that since Speedy's been putting up the results consistently week after week, there's now a giant red dot in the list juggler heatmap.

*There's one grognard that nobody likes (surprise, it's me!). You'll know when you play him. He rants about his dice and doesn't take to talking about his bad moves. You'll get mad playing him win or lose.

Hah, I just started playing their semi-recently (Moved out to DC last year for grad school) and yeah, it's definitely a solid group. Won't be there this week, but I'm definitely looking forward to swinging by in the future.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So I'm playing in a tournament tonight, and I've got two lists I want to bring-

BBB 100 points posted:

Ibtisam (32)
B-Wing (28), Advanced Sensors (3), Wired (1)

Ten Numb (32)
B-Wing (31), Calculation (1)

Keyan Farlander (36)
B-Wing (29), Push the Limit (3), B-Wing/E2 (1), Kyle Katarn (3)

and

XXX 100 points posted:

Wes Janson (32)
X-Wing (29), R5-K6 (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Wedge Antilles (35)
X-Wing (29), R7-T1 (3), Outmaneuver (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Biggs Darklighter (33)
X-Wing (25), R2-D2 (4), Shield Upgrade (4)

I've played the XXX list before, and done well with it against friends. On the other hand, I really like the idea of pairing Ibtisam with Wired and Ten Numb with Calculation, and want to see if I can do well with them. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm leaning towards taking the BBB list, but in the back of my head I know the XXX list is probably my better option.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The Gate posted:

If you go with the BBB list, I'd change up Keyan if you can. PtL on Keyan is kind of weird in that you don't need to focus with his pilot ability really, which leaves you with barrel roll and Target Lock. Locking is good, but you're not always gonna want to barrel roll, so you focus.... which is pretty wasted with 1 agility. Kyle doubles down on that by giving another focus you don't really need.

If you stick with PtL, I'd swap Kyle to Jan if you can, so you get that sweet evade token (or someone else can). In addition, Keyan really likes advanced sensors, so he can target lock or barrel roll then take a red move. VI and Stay on Target are also good with Keyan if you do fit the sensors on him. Just a couple thoughts on the list.

Thanks! I've been playing with the list a bit, and you definitely make some good points. With that in mind, my list might end up looking something like this:

quote:

Ibtisam (33)
B-Wing (28), Wired (1), B-Wing/E2 (1), Ezra Bridger (3)

Ten Numb (32)
B-Wing (31), Calculation (1)

Keyan Farlander (35)
B-Wing (29), Push the Limit (3), B-Wing/E2 (1), Jan Ors (2)

Granted, the one wrinkle is that I don't actually have Ezra (Yet), but I'm pretty sure I can borrow him if necessary. And if I can't, looks like I'll be running XXX after all :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Endman posted:

Yeah, Infinity is in that beautiful sweet spot for miniature games, imho. Just enough minis to seem like a decently sized battle, but few enough so that you can really get a sense for individual characters rather than mobs of faceless Guardsmen, and a ruleset that encourages fun over rolling fifty dice at once. It's a game where you can buy and paint a single model and really feel like you've made a worthwhile addition to your army, and I think that means a lot.

:shrug: some people (me) like running around a hundred faceless guardsmen. Also tanks. Lots of tanks.

Most webcomics seem to start off with garbage art and get better as time goes on. PA somehow managed to peak around 2010 or so and it's all been downhill from there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Eimi posted:

And the Viper is amazing, and also probably explains why I love the drat E-Wing so much.

If anything the E-Wing's problem is that it doesn't look enough like the Viper. I'm actually thinking of picking up some 1/270 Vipers off shapeways to use as proxies, though that would run into the issue of my inability to paint :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Chill la Chill posted:

Someone placed external bombs on a Y-wing. I am violently shaking :catstare:

Really though, what else would you expect from scum and villainy.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I actually ran a Horton list at Curio this past week that did pretty well (by my standards, at least :v:)

quote:

Y-Wing: · Horton Salm (25)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
· R2-D6 (1)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)
Marksmanship (3)
Y-Wing: Grey Squadron Pilot (20)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
· R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)
Z-95 Headhunter: Tala Squadron Pilot (13)
Adv. Homing Missiles (3)
Z-95 Headhunter: · Lieutenant Blount (17)
Deadeye (1)
Ion Pulse Missiles (3)

Horton with Marksmanship, the title, and TLT can put out an absolutely disgusting amount of damage. Granted there lists I went up against weren't exactly top-tier, but I'll definitely be trying it again next week.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Have they spoiled all the T-70 pilots from Heroes of the Resistance?

What.. what if Wedge is one of them?

There's actually a ton of stuff left over from Heroes of the Resistance that hasn't been talked about yet, including a new astromech and crew cards for Finn and Rey. Between that and the ARC-170 it's definitely an exciting time for Rebels.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Chill la Chill posted:

Nobody's brainstormed any fun new nicknames for heroes/wave 9 stuff yet. Get on it you nerds.

I've been trying and failing for weeks to come up with something witty for a Nora Wexley/Shara Bey combo, but the best I can do is "Moms of the Resistance".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

hoiyes posted:

Would also be pretty excellent on a theoretical ship with systems, to be used with accuracy corrector & Juke. (xwing fix systems slot please please).

Finally, it's the E-Wing's time to shine!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

thespaceinvader posted:

Why not just take an Evade action at that point tho?

Barrel roll to get into (Or out of) arc or a focus for defense? :shrug: Or you could take the Evade action and get two shiny evade tokens! :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It does look more and more likely that we'll see a GenCon release, though :dance:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Panzeh posted:

Finn is primary only. Your quest to add more dice is over, strobe.

Or is it?

100 points:

Shara Bey (31)
ARC-170 (28), Adaptability (0), Weapons Engineer (3), Alliance Overhaul (0)

Norra Wexley (38)
ARC-170 (29), Opportunist (4), Finn (5), Alliance Overhaul (0)

Jan Ors (31)
HWK-290 (25), Adaptability (0), Twin Laser Turret (6)

Norra takes a focus action, fires a 3 die primary, adds 1 for Opportunist, adds 1 for Jan, uses Finn to add a blank result, spends her target lock to re-roll blanks, spends one of Shara's TLs to add a focus result, spends her focus token. 8 dice at range 1, 7 at 2-3.

Now That's What I Call Dakka :orks:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Y-Wing: · "Dutch" Vander (23)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Y-Wing: Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Y-Wing: Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

3 TLT is not 4 TLT but maybe the torpedoes would make up for it.

I doubt it. You'd do more damage in the initial joust, sure, but 3 Y-Wings just aren't that durable, so your overall damage output would fall off a lot more quickly. I also have my doubts about Targeting Astros on Y-Wings, since it's so hard for them to shed stress. And there's also the fact that you're running with PS2 Gold Squadron pilots, who are going to shoot last in almost every encounter (Making it that much more difficult to outmaneuver someone).

I love Y-Wings, but even I can see that list would just not do well against the vast majority of opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Otisburg posted:

It's like triple scouts but for a faction I don't hate.

Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of his list, but if you're looking to try something along the line of Rebel-flavored Jumpmasters...

pre:
100 points

PILOTS

“Dutch” Vander (32)
Y-Wing (23), BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0), R2-D6 (1), Plasma Torpedoes (3), Autoblaster Turret (2), Predator (3)

Esege Tuketu (37)
K-Wing (28), Proton Torpedoes (4), Extra Munitions (2), Recon Specialist (3)

Guardian Squadron Pilot (31)
K-Wing (25), Proton Torpedoes (4), Extra Munitions (2)
I took this to Curio the week after NOVA, and came out of it store champion. Now, I present this list with the caveat that I didn't go up against Jumpmasters or Palp Aces, but on the whole it seemed to perform pretty well-Dutch and Esege have great synergy, and K-Wings are surprisingly maneuverable with their ability to hit the gas and SLAM out of a bad spot. Plus, the lowest PS you fire at is 4, so there's less chance of suffering from a debilitating alpha strike before you can fire yourself.

• Locked thread