Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Austrian mook posted:

Is there no way to avoid blowing on the gamepad in captain toad?

Make weird Toad grunts; it responds to any sound not just blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kewpuh posted:

what pisses me off about other m is that the loving idiot japs dont get that samus is the poo poo because shes basically the terminator. shes not some scared little bitch whenever she sees ridley or any of that other horseshit. like in prime 1, she sees ridley loving poo poo up at the beginning and the camera shows her eyes and its clear that shes angry and shes determined to destroy his rear end. or when youre looking at the space pirate logs and its clear that they are completely terrified of her and just call her "the hunter"

that poo poo is badass.

these are more reasons why i think metroid fusion is kind of crap because you start to see that trend of giving her emotion or something to be scared of like the dumbass sa-x thing running around. the bitch has fought a giant brain and dragons and a ghost eyeball why would a dumbass parasite be scary to samus

Yeah like how many times had Samus fought Ridley before Other M? I mean in Super Metroid she fought him into a retreat on the space colony and then chased him back to Zebes to finish the job, why is she crying when he roars at her in Other M

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jarogue posted:

WHEN THE HELL DID SONIC BOOM WII U GET A UPDATE! I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD DOWNLOAD IT OR KEEP IT AS IT IS?

I'm sorry for your loss :(

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Proof that only autistic people like Sonic.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jarogue posted:

OK this came in the mail to day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6y6kiLNMDE&feature=youtu.be

Edit: I did call Nintendo Support and now I'm just waiting for a email.

Man, and I thought the package I got last week was bad. Not only was the tape seal cut but it was also obviously torn open by hand... but it wasn't loving burnt :stare:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

You are hosed now.

It won't be long until his nephew is drawing pictures of his sonic OC

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I don't see it being a NX being a Wii U replacement, per se, but a cheaper (and potentially future-proof) alternative.

Streaming games to cheap hardware makes sense to me. PS Now works really, really well (I played through the first Uncharted time and only experienced issues while on the Vita because the Vita's WiFi is kinda poo poo) and I'm convinced paying for a stream, not download and install, of video games, is the future of gaming.

Really? At a time when the cost of ownership of personal computing hardware is at an all-time low per unit processing power, you think that things are going to go back to the days of mainframes streaming data to dumb terminals?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Super Mario Nation

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You know, I like 3D World as much as the next guy, but honestly I'd love it if they went back and made a sequel to Mario 64. Ever since Galaxy they've been trimming down Mario's moveset, to the point where now 3D World has no triple jump, no dive jump (and thus no belly slide), you can only move in eight directions, and you have to hold a button to run. Compared to the quick, easy and fun acrobatics displayed in that video, newer Mario's are slower, more linear and more rigid in how many options you have to get through an area.

Man watching a skilled player play Mario 64 is like watching Super Mario Parkour. It's great.

Aside from the incredible number of moves Mario has, the mission-based gameplay has been absent from a lot of the subsequent Mario games. I liked how it set you loose in an open level with a few words as a hint for where the star was.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

People are spoiled by newer games that pop-up objective lists and quest markers where you can dismiss the dialogue and still know exactly what to do.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's Affordable Space Adventures? I was expecting an action space trader or FTL style game by the name and it seems more like a puzzle game.

Yeah I thought the name was evocative of an open world space game but the actual game looks thoroughly boring.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess I've just had my fill of indy puzzle sidescrollers with graphics primarily consisting of black outlines :shobon:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ultigonio posted:

Did you glance at a screenshot of the game for like

two seconds

I watched the trailer, it's on the developers if they put out a trailer that doesn't represent the game.

Edit: Guess it's on me if the trailer is representative and it looks like something I wouldn't care about though :v:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 10, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think the original still holds up pretty well, so you should definitely give that a shot first.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

LanceKing2200 posted:

YOU CAN PLAY SQUID JUMP ON THE LOADING SCREENS

Did Namco's patent on loading screen minigames expire or is Nintendo gonna get patent trolled by them?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

I have a feeling Namco's patent on that is less a force than developers not having time/money/motivation to put games within a game on their load screens (until NOW).

Well, Okami at least had the loading screen minigame removed in the Wii rerelease because Namco came after Capcom for it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

gently caress yes, gently caress stupid patents

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'd go with rodents but siding with Team Dog against Team Cat is the next best choice

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This Mario Kart: Fury Road trailer is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAxFjVCkpRY

It takes place in the Super Mario Bros. movie universe.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How does Egoraptor keep getting forward? He's lost every game he's been in.

Is he refusing to read on-screen cues or listen to instructions and then whining so hard about the game being bullshit and not telling him what to do that they're just giving him a pass to shut him up?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm hope team dog loses because team dog is obnoxious as gently caress on this board.

It's weird for you to call out just one side because this is literally Splatfest

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Chronojam posted:

Nobody uses my beacons :smithicide:

Hell I use my Beakons. I've been trying the Custom E-Litre and they're good as a backup if you leave a sniper spot to push with your team and it goes bad and you need to be back on a perch.

Though the Splat Charger's much faster charge is better for that kind of close support and the Kelp version's sprinkler is lovely in Turf Wars even though it lacks a panic button.

Chargers are underrated in Turf War I think, they're not going to match the score of an Aerospray but it only takes a few seconds to ink a corridor or a rectangular room and then you can get back to zipping around snapshotting people

Edit: Thought this was Splatoon thread for a second so I devoted more words than I should have to it

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

VideoGames posted:

could someone explain why Nintendo should have to apologise for this years E3?

i watched it. They have the world champsionships and super mario maker. they also showed off a ton of games coming out this year.

no one else did. no one else had tangible products. what the heck are they apologising for, unless its for being the best.

Probably the stupid amount of backlash over Federation Force existing and the new Star Fox having better graphics than the previous iterations (but not good enough apparently).

People are very loud on social media about games they don't like

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

VideoGames posted:

i just find it confusing. Nintendo's stuff was stellar. the NWC alone was so much ridiculous fun. then they properly showed off Game of the Decade Super Mario Maker and I couldnt believe it. then release dates for games coming out this year.

what the heck did the others do? it boiled down to "please believe these videos are indicative of final products due out at some point we dont know when lol"

Nintendo's stuff WAS great, it's just that because one of the games being a spinoff and not a new property caused huge numbers of people to bitch and sign petitions to cancel it and stuff, and I think Nintendo is just really puzzled over it and apologizing is all they can think of.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I can't tell you how many times just perching in the center and holding there has kept my team from being defeated in the last 20 seconds. Pushing into enemy territory is smart, but when you're whole team overreaches and gets splatted, the Bad Guys can do a lot in 20 seconds to make up that ground unopposed.

I think it depends on the map, I can see that in Mall, Depot, and Underpass easily but you can be nightmarish with one of the faster chargers at close-ish range on Port or Skatepark.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rabelais D posted:

People are complaining because there were no big new games for the Wii U that have not been previously announced. It's quite easy to understand. They chose to go in a different direction and show stuff we already knew about. Fine. But that leads people to suspect that they are working on things for the NX and the Wii U won't see too many major new games, and that made them sad.

Nintendo's MO as of the last few years is to not really talk about things until they're close to release (or already ready to release in some cases) so given that they put out Splatoon as a big release weeks before and have all their teams on big releases in the near future it shouldn't have been any surprise that they didn't have much new stuff worth talking about.

Hell Mario Maker looked better than ever before so at least I could get hyped up about that

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Well tbh I don't live and breathe gaming news anymore so it was cool seeing that there really is a new Star Fox game and that Mario Maker lets you do all sorts of crazy poo poo. I didn't watch anything other than that one stream that showed the games though, didn't really care much for the parts where people talked.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah but I'm not raging or demanding an apology about it, I don't care either way about it

Edit: Didn't watch the other company's streams because I don't have their systems and tuned out the part where the lady was talking about how she had the entire world's supply of Yarn Yoshi Amiibos in front of her or whatever

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 7, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Anime Curator posted:

I sorta want to get into Sonic Boom. Even though I played the demo and hated the thing I just feel I am letting Sonic and friends down not buying the game. I hear Tails and Amy share a relationship this time and I just can't help myself where this whole thing goes.

Watch Game Grumps play it and don't send a single red cent to the assholes who thought that was an acceptable game to release.

Even if you hate Game Grumps watching them is better than doing that

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Overemotional Robot posted:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Mario's voice and how it doesn't have good range. Well, we were just at Target and were looking at amiibo when my daughter says, "that's not his voice, that's not his voice!" I was confused and said, yeah, that's the way he always sounds. I thought she was just being weird, but then she said, "no, like on the show!" I then realized she was talking about the Super Show.

She's three and already Captain Lou's voice is more authentic to her despite her hearing the new voice in the games and stuff.

I don't really think there's anything wrong with the current Mario and Luigi voices, but the Super Show voices fit a couple of old fat plumbers better than the current eunuch voice.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I haven't been paying close attention to the game but how is someone screenshotting anything almost a month ahead of the game's release?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kin posted:

I just picked up a pro controller (mostly for PC use) and holy poo poo, it's easily the most comfy controller I've ever held and it doesn't feel like the weight of a brick.

Is it possible to charge it up via PC USB or by plugging it into one of those wallsocket/usb plug things, or is it only designed to be 'safely' charged in the WiiU usb ports?

Wii's USB ports follow the same spec as PC ones so go nuts charging it wherever you want.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Narcissus1916 posted:

Except the attack button doesn't do a loving thing. Instead the attack is bound to the jump button.

We can debate if rotations and poo poo are bad design, but creating a special attack where the attack button is literally bound to a totally different button is inarguably poor.

It's not an attack, it makes it so that your jumps kill

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fooley posted:

You shouldn't have to read an instruction manual to know how a game works.

Could you at least read the part you quoted where it said that the game explains subweapons and specials when you get a weapon unlocked that has them

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

WTF is up with classic Link's jump animation?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Golden Goat posted:

I think some people would start freaking out saying "IT"S NOT REAL LAN!" because it requires an internet connection.

It sounds like you can just simply connect them all up to one network and it behaves as your doing it normally through the internet.

You need an internet connection to even enter the lobby of the battle tower, too (or to use the shops or Spyke's services, also).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Iwata was for true doom-murder heads; this new guy is for corporate attitude.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess Nintendo still hasn't gotten their head around buffer overflows.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Not that I thought the Sonic characters were particularly interesting to begin with, but Sonic Boom tried to hard to mash the playable characters into the The Leader/The Girl/The Brains/The Muscle party archetype that they got so dull they blended into the background noise.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Breadallelogram posted:

and it looks like poo poo!!

It's probably going to be okay since it's Telltale, but lol at how it looks like a typical serious and dark Telltale game with the goofy and bright badgraphics programmer art from Minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

raditts posted:

Telltale has far more non-serious games in its back catalog than the opposite.

Lately they've been pretty dark and serious though, and Minecraft Story Mode looks similar in tone from the trailer.

• Locked thread