Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spellman
May 31, 2011

No game in the series draws a normal crowd like Smash 64. It's easy on the eyes, the stages are simple.

I find people get overwhelmed with new-anything when it comes to Nintendo, unless you're a Nintendophile.

Some people will look at a newer game in a series and be like, "This is objectively better in every way. The graphics are better, the sound is better, it has everything the old game had and more," but these things don't necessarily make a game fun.

There are supposedly better shooters than Goldeneye 64, but whenever I throw on a newer title at a party, people lose interest, I find. Bomberman, again, there's a great 8-player version on the Wii, but people would rather play 5-player Bomberman '93.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

smash64 is not easy on the eyes, it's super ugly and choppy

I have friends who like smash64 and i hate everytime they want to play it over Melee which happens way too much

i hate my friends, really
You just gotta go with the flow. Forget about how bad N64 games have aged graphically and just have fun. What I meant is that the character's bright solid colors pop off the simple flat and lovely backgrounds, so it's easy to understand what's going on.

There is such thing as too beautiful.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

And that's the end. Incredible final bosses and final level. And with that I've finally played through all of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

What an experience. Everything I'd heard about these games over the years turned out to be totally true. I don't think I can even pick a favorite of the three.

I want more. :(
Yea. Prime was my first Metroid game and it really hooked me on the series, love them all. I'd like to see them in 1080p widescreen though, that would be superb.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Watrick posted:

I picked up Paper Mario with my coins. I'm going to play it eventually, but how does it compare to TTYD? I adore that game and I don't want to get my hopes up too high and be disappointed.
It's a little more earnest than TTYD. It's a funny game, but Mario isn't carrying around a PDF and there isn't a lot of internet humor. They don't break the fourth wall as much. It's still set up like a cardboard stage play, but the boss isn't going to eat the audience for hitpoints.

Both Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door have this thing where every character has new dialog after every chapter, which is pretty huge. The battles might seem a little less complex because TTYD just builds off this game. Music's perfect.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

I doubt Nintendo will ever get "real" 3rd-party support again.

3rd-party developers usually want the broadest platform possible, so they develop for the Xbox / Playstation / PC since the specs and hardware are nearly the same. AAA titles don't want to have to spend time scaling back their game to work within Nintendo's limited hardware, and implement some crazy-rear end control scheme that the game wasn't even made for in the first place.

3rd Party Support will likely be more indie developers or exclusive 3rd-party titles.
That, and, a lot of people just buy Nintendos for the Nintendo games. Indie games are good for Nintendo too because the characters are usually bright and colorful or stylized, and they gel well with Nintendo's bangers. I actually think developers see potential in Nintendo's hardware ideas, and try to tap the seemingly untapped market for mature games, but it never really works out for them.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Actually most people did not buy the wii or the wii-u for nintendo games.

both had very limited hardware sales. Especially considering that games like Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies in it's first day. The Wii-U game sales have been eclipsed by amiibos.
I don't think you understood what I said

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

Is it possible to play DS games with 2 people at the same time? I'm interested in doing a game of Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga co-op and was wondering if Partners in Time could work the same way?
No I don't think so, not on the Wii U, and for that game, for some reason they removed the coop, I think.

e: Thought you were talking Partners in Time.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spectacle Rock posted:

So, as far as the Wii U goes we've got the following in the future.

#FE
Star Fox Zero
Zelda Wii U

Am I forgetting anything? The big one I'm looking forward to is Zelda Wii U. Give us a freaking subtitle!

I really want Star Fox to be good, but the new controls worry me. They did say we're getting a Peppy Hare Amiibo right? I might just buy the Amiibo because Peppy is the best.
The HD remake of Twilight Princess too. C'mon, Spectacle Rock.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

How does the Mario RPG fandom compare to, say, the Final Fantasy fandom, in terms of complaints and arguments?
Mario RPG arguments are worse than than Final Fantasy arguments, but better than "What's your favorite Zelda" debates

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sometimes you just gotta admit that you're Mario'd out

Spellman
May 31, 2011

raditts posted:

The link cable was justified by Pac-Man Vs. and Four Swords alone.

Also, it only cost like $5, how the gently caress can you bring yourself to whine about that
It was actually cumbersome to play Four Swords and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles if you wanted to play with a lot of people. We found a way in high school... but it required a lot of scavenging for Game Boy Advances, GCN to GBA link cables, and dozens of AA batteries. Surprisingly, your friend having even one of those things was always a hassle, but we borrowed from little brothers and all that.

Ironically, since the DS line, they haven't made a Four Swords game or anything nearly as cool as the GBA to Gamecube, which is a shame 'cause that was really fun and it's easier than ever now that you don't need link cables and batteries.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

greatn posted:

I really don't understand people who think 3D World isn't a fully fledged 3D Mario game.

It's not necessarily single player, but next time they release another major 3D platformer I hope it's also multiplayer.
Well, that they were putting a 3D Mario game on the 3DS became the launching point for why they didn't just bring Galaxy to the system — they wanted to make something that made sense for the device. Super Mario 3D Land was a smart way to put a somewhat 3D Mario game on a mobile device.

So we got what was supposed to be a game that bridges the gap between 2D and 3D Mario games. Things like fixed cameras, the goal pole, and the timed levels make it a completely different experience. But for some reason they brought that style of game to the home console. Maybe they thought it would be a better fit for 4-player co-op, but it's kind of disappointing for people who wanted to see the next Galaxy (or Sunshine!).

I don't think the people who really like Galaxy games wanted this style of gameplay to steamroll over the star-collecting 3D games.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

IDK, Galaxy gives me chills sometimes it's so cool. When I hop into a level in 3D World, I'm just kinda playing it and it is evoking no emotional response from me. Everything is beautiful and clean and nice but I know I'm going to be in the level for a minute 30, there's gonna be a secret room with a P-switch halfway through the level, and I'm gonna have to stop and touch the screen or blow on the mic to make a platform come to me.

I like breaks in the action, where you can just stand around soak in the atmosphere. Or like, low-key poo poo like the levels where you pull Mario around on those gravity wells with the cursor, that stuff was really neat and tense sometimes.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Does anyone really want a multiplayer FPS that plays like a Prime game, though? Like, who actually thinks the shooting was Prime's strong point and is something that can carry an entire game?
I think that's why they rolled with Blast Ball instead of just shooting each other, because it's not very hard to just lock onto someone and shoot at them. But actually having to not-shoot sometimes like you would in soccer gives it some strategy. And hitting the ball at certain angles will change it's trajectory. Metroid Prime's controls are actually really good when they're applied properly.

It's not what I wanted but I understand what they're (were?) going for

Spellman
May 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

I know Nintendo has a repair/replace shop...but if I send mine in, will I get the same one back? My system was the Legend of Zelda edition and I'd really like to keep the special game pad...
I can't speak for the Wii U, but I couldn't even get my black 3DS XL replaced when mine simply stopped working. They had a stock of red and blue ones and offered them as a replacement. They'll tell you if they're going to do something like that though, so, insist that they repair your Gamepad or replace it with the same special edition one.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by that. Had a bit of a laugh at Wendy beating up Roy if you counter one of his attacks properly. To AlphaDream's credit, they're doing way more with existing Mario stuff in Paper Jam than what Intelligent Systems did with Sticker Star.
True. But I don't think it was Intelligent System's fault entirely for Sticker Star being vanilla, Miyamoto told them that story isn't necessary for a Paper Mario game.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

To be fair, the feedback they got from people who played Super Paper Mario was that only a tiny percentage of the people surveyed thought the story was interesting.
Yea I read that. I don't think they were interpreting the polls properly though with regards to what people wanted for the series. I think Super Paper Mario sent people into panic mode about what was wrong with it, and I know a lot of people were frustrated that the heavy story didn't gel with its style of gameplay.

Like they based that poll off of a hosed up game so of course they're going to get strange results from it. You rewrite that poll for TTYD and I'm sure story would get some love.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 25, 2016

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm pretty sure "kinda funny" was most people's response to that part of Prime 1's intro. The loss of weapons between games had only ever been treated as a joke rather than a serious writing problem, because it's a videogame and story can't always mesh perfectly with game mechanics.
I thought that was nice because it showed the potential versatility of the suit before you start using it. Oh I'm going to have missiles and morph ball and grapple beam at some point in the game. Great.

I'm not super concerned with how she starts from scratch in every game but that game did it well.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

super paper mario is the best bad game to ever exist
I used to make this tree in MS Paint

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Looper posted:

miyamoto didn't like the storybook stuff in galaxy
When he's right, he's right

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

The art direction in that game is so loving bad.

Like, they executed well on what they were going for but what they were going for sucked.
I didn't know you could make a game entirely in Adobe Illustrator

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm looking for good games for 3+ people. Mario Kart, Smash, and 3D World are the obvious answers, and I've had a good experience with Game & Wario. Is there anything else really worthwhile out there?
Starwhal will literally put you to tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hceteWT7Jfg

If you don't mind taking a trip to the old Wii Channel for games, there are some good choices there, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89u2GcVYACw
^this one's 8 players!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EzmBXf_514

Mario Tennis 64 and Bomberman 93 are also great.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 27, 2016

Spellman
May 31, 2011

You lose the Gamecube Controller support which stinks, but there's really only a handful of situations where there's literally no other option for functionality. (A fun FYI is that you can play 4 Wii Remotes, and one GC controller for 5 player Bomberman '93 on the original Wii)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

They just sapped all that was interesting out of Paper Mario in the newer efforts. Paper Mario has always been a love letter to Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG, but Sticker Star kind of ruined that.

And now they're doing it to Mario & Luigi too.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Definitely. I mean I have an idea as to why they'd make these choices. You look at some of their most creative titles like Galaxy and they don't sell as nearly as well as New Super Mario Bros. NSMBW is one of their best selling titles, ever. So let's standardize the look and feel of Mario games across the board so they're more accessible to fans of Mario.

It's like a branding thing I guess.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you're referring to the lack or original characters or whatever, that was a decision on AlphaDream's end, due to issues with handling the crossover.

Also, Paper Jam is a fun game.
No it's not just that, it's like they hosed up the art style. M&L had a very distinct way of drawing the original Mario characters, it was goofy. Now it's literally just how they look in the original games.

It's like Bowser's face is stuck like that. It just sucks.

It was ugly by design, but wonderfully animated.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Petey Pirahna is bad no matter how you draw him
You won't like what they have planned next year

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bowser has some over the top cartoon expressions in Paper Jam, you're just posting his normal talk cycle jeez.

Not arguing the entire point as I do miss stuff like Cackletta's huge battle sprite and stuff in general but goofy expressions and whatnot are still everywhere.
No seriously, they're about to break out into a fight there. But yea I mean he gets angry, but it's very subdued compared to the older games, even Dream Team.

Help Im Alive posted:

I actually am legit surprised to see someone complain about the Dream Team/Paper Jam art style though, the Mario + Luigi sprites/models/whatever are especially great

People would probably stop complaining about the NSMB games so much if they looked like that
Yea, they're awesome. Actually at the start of the game when Luigi was fixing the wall, the way that whole scene was done and animated, I thought that I was really gonna like Paper Jam. It was great.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 17, 2016

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

But his Dream Team sprites were reused? Dream Team was kind of where they started making the sprites a bit more consistent.
Not for Bowser. Yes for Wriggler, yes for Piranhas, yes for Mario & Luigi. They redrew Bowser.

In Dream Team, they frequently used animation smears and gave the characters expressions as they did in the older games.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 17, 2016

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope I get to keep the same screen name as my Nintendo Network. I don't wanna lose HollandOates.
I'm taking it if you don't

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Meteos is Sakurai's puzzle game.
How could you tell?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Anime...anime is here. ANIME IS HERE IN THE MUSHROOM KINGDOM EVERYONE HIT THE DECK.
You're about six months too late. Splatoon has a Squid Girl costume set. Granted, that one makes a bit more sense.
Pixar is not anime

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Jarakchan posted:

I'm sorry to break it to you, but Twilight Princess looked like garbage when it was new. There's only so much you can polish a turd.
Nahhh it has more style than people give it credit for. But even if it sucked visually, the Majora's Mask remake should prove that you can improve a game's visuals drastically (not that it was a bad looking game in the first place, but does it ever look bad in comparison). Not that TP is doing anything like MM in revamping its look. But TP does have some of the best music in the series, and they're trimming some of the more superfluous areas like the shadow insect hunts.

There were some videos on IGN that showed the footage in the trailers was inexplicably ugly, because the actual game looks pretty decent.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/02/04/the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-hd-looks-and-plays-better-than-you-think

Spellman fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 20, 2016

Spellman
May 31, 2011

AfroGunsou posted:

she is anime, sorry
Bratz are not anime

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Trent posted:

No, they are worse. But this character has a nose. That's the best thing I can say about it at this time.

Bratz are unique individuals, Trent

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

To be fair the Japanese direct showed nearly a full battle which uh, you know.

Really the biggest crime is the fact the Boo's are probably going to stick with the crummy normal look instead of the cool Paper Mario one.

Such standardization

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Bring back the Yoshi Island boos, but keep the dry bones the same since they weren't in Yoshi Island and the newer design is better anyway.
They're actually roughly based on Super Mario World

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Motto posted:

He's not talking about quality, but maintaining a single, unified style for all incarnations of the series. I think it's an overreaction, but some think that every recent Mario game has been forced to be NSMB-esque in one way or another.
Even Yoshi's New Island (3DS) did, it replaced all the old designs with the new designs. Like Baby Bowser had his own look but they made him look like Bowser Jr. It's annoying, the designs for the characters in each of these games were cute

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Anyone got twilight princess HD yet?
Ya, I'm a big fan of Twilight Princess. If you liked it in the beginning, it's great now. While the bigger areas are ugly as sin, the smaller ones are actually kinda pretty and now in HD. I was playing through the intro forest area this morning. Kinda looking forward to the dungeons I thought really looked nice in the original. (like the Poe dungeon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yea it seems kind of dumb to focus just on the EXP, but it is an element RPG fans universally enjoy. But it's usually just there, people don't question it. Sometimes seemingly superfluous things in games are inexplicably fun, like Achievements. And Nintendo will often avoid the obvious answer in the spirit of doing something new or original, but it doesn't always work.

"Hey people who play RPGs like a diverse cast of characters. Let's remove this entirely. Let's put a map screen, let's put all this poo poo that nobody wants", like stop it.

Personal feelings on Color Splash: if they fixed all of the mechanically broken elements in Sticker Star and it's now a functional game... it's still gonna suck because it was just not fun, even when the game was working. They just made a... not fun game. It was really draining to play.

• Locked thread