Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Could you elaborate on what you mean here? Or just link to something about it. I'm not sure what a 'soft tap' is, and I'm only guessing that by 'screen shift' you mean the ipad-style landscape mode?

He means the new "reachability" mode (which shifts the screen down) is a double touch of the home button, not a double press (which is still used to get into the app switcher)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Decius posted:

The Home button is really geting crowded with all the different ways you have to interact with it.

Agreed, and reachability overall feels like a quick hack. I'll reserve judgement until I actually have the phone in my hands though.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I'm really not a fan of the Samsung method either, it feels just as hacky. But I don't really have a better solution for the problem.

The "slide to go back" feature they introduced in iOS 7 will go a long way towards mitigating how often you need to reach the top of the screen. I already use it even on the 4 inch screen and it's to the point now where it's jarring when apps don't support it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Chemmy posted:

The NFC chip and touchid is almost certainly more secure than current credit card implementation, banks apparently agree.

It is. In Canada we have NFC built into the credit cards already, and if someone were to steal my credit card they could easily use tap-to-pay for a bunch of small purchases (there's some kind of maximum on each tap transaction, $100 maybe?) with no other authorization required.

If someone steals an iPhone, it will still require fingerprint authorization for the purchase to go through. This is probably why they were able to negotiate the "card present" lower rates.

It also increases convenience because there's no need for a maximum transaction limit on NFC anymore, you can use it for any transaction that has a supported reader.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Abel Wingnut posted:

In iOS 8 Mail, how do I add 'trash' as an option when I swipe?

Get ready for this one cause it's a mouthful:

Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Select the Account -> Account -> Advanced -> Change "Move Discarded Messages Into" to "Deleted Mailbox"

Note that this will replace the archive option, it seems to be either one or the other.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I'm assuming it means that Walmart won't be installing the supported readers.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

But they have to. All retailers will by October 2015.

Chip and PIN doesn't require NFC.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't think 1mm extra thickness to cover the camera would really increase the battery life in any significant way.

The battery usage stats in iOS 8 were long overdue, and really help you pinpoint what's eating up all your battery. I discovered that Skype was using a lot even with Background App Refresh disabled, and its pretty surprising just how much power the phone uses due to low signal.

In general I find the battery life on my iPhone 5 with iOS 8 to be pretty good.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Laserface posted:

I don't think Steve would have launched the watch, it seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, and I find it amusing that Samsung essentially beat apple to market based on a rumour of an iwatch which now apple is launching to keep up with Samsung.

I don't really agree with this -- the watch has clearly been in development for years, they're not launching it to "keep up with Samsung". They have a clear strategy for the watch and I think that it's going to be a pretty big success, especially as they iterate on it like they have with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad. People seem to have a skewed sense of how products are made, as if anything released after one product hits the market is a "response" to it.

When I read impressions about the watch from "watch people", one thing they've said Apple got right is the fit, finish, and physical details, beating out other watches at similar price points. I feel like that's one thing you've absolutely got to nail in a product that's going to be called a watch, and something every other competitor has failed to deliver.

It's also the one area Apple consistently has no other equal in -- no one has yet been able to match the level of fit and finish Apple puts into the iPhone. Once the watch hits stores and people can actually see what they're like in person, I don't think the current competition (the moto 360 or whatever samsungs latest iteration is) will look too good in comparison.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 16, 2014

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
There's a lot of people that don't use macs and just have an iPhone / iPad that could take advantage of iCloud Drive now though.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Due in about 30 minutes.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It does do delta backups, yes. Probably was a bad time to start doing a massive initial backup though, you're right. You had the whole morning!

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

xilni posted:

Yes it's true the iTunes method doesn't require loads of free space like the OTA method but it also introduces its fair share of problems with backing up your data to iTunes and then it has to restore it correctly back to the phone which it hasn't always in my experience. iTunes essentially wipes your phone, installs the OS anew and then restores your phone settings to what they were before but it doesn't always go smoothly.

This is not what it does, only if you choose "restore". If you choose update it performs a regular update.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Seems like 3rd party keyboards don't work in SMS quick reply scenarios (yet, anyway).

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Feenix posted:

Oh lord how do I turn Tips off?

I would hope you can turn off its notifications just like any other app.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
All you need to do is turn off Find My iPhone and hit "Erase all content and settings". If you haven't turned off Find my iPhone before hitting that button, it will tell you to do so.

That's it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Feenix posted:

I'm still not seeing this on iOS App Store. :/

Just go to their official websites and get a direct link to the App Store.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

fordan posted:

Apple is apparently telling law enforcement to go pound sand to recover data off ios 8 now:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html

For those who are interested in more in-depth technical information about the security measures they use, they've also updated their security whitepaper: http://images.apple.com/privacy/docs/iOS_Security_Guide_Sept_2014.pdf

The big changes seem to be new technologies relating to iOS 8, such as Handoff, SMS/Phone call relay, Instant Hotspot, etc.

Xenomorph posted:

My wife now has multiple Family Sharing invites from me.

* If she Accepts, it either says the invite has expired, or that she can only start or join a Family account twice every 364 days.

* If she Declines, it says she is already a member of Family group.

So... what the heck can she do with this invite?

There is a (1) next to her iCloud now, indicating this invite that won't go away.

Has anyone seen this before? Did this happen during beta?

Neither one of us has had an iOS 8 beta installed.

I would try rebooting her phone before trying to troubleshoot any further, might fix it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Realized there's a battery usage by app tracking now in iOS8. Now I never have to wonder what's killing my phone. :slick:

Settings > General > Usage > Battery Usage

Also, it was Facebook... Time to change some permissions...

Yeah this thing is going to be hugely useful, mainly so people realize how much battery life they're giving away by using Facebook with the default options. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's motivation behind this was primarily Facebook because it's insane how much power it uses even if you don't open the app.

Dbhjed posted:

Yeah I tried as well. It doesn't ask, just deletes. Seems odd and going to lead to a lot of frustration. Going to flag this email ... And it's gone.

The key is to realize you don't need to swipe the whole mail to open the menu. A quick flick will show you the options, a full swipe will do the default option (Trash/Archive). But yeah, I'd expect a setting for this to come in a future update (or a fix for the "ask before deleting" setting).

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

bronin posted:

I noticed something on iOS concerning auto brightness. Back in iOS 7 I calibrated auto brightness like you're supposed to. Go to a dark room, set the brightness to the lowest setting and then turn auto brightness on. That way you would have the lowest setting in a dark room, the highest setting in bright sunlight and according settings for everything in between.

On iOS 8 I noticed that it won't go all the way to the right side even in direct sunlight. Can anyone confirm this?

I just set the slider manually all the way to the right side in direct sunlight and it seems to remember that now but it's weird nonetheless.

Maybe a hidden way to increase battery life.

Auto brightness doesn't need to be calibrated like that. Basically, here's how it works:

1. Turn on auto brightness.
2. If the screen ever feels too dark or too bright when you're looking at it, adjust the brightness. Auto brightness will remember your preferences in those lighting conditions.

As you make manual adjustments (like you did in direct sunlight) you'll have to adjust it less and less, until it knows your preferences for all lighting conditions.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
iCloud Photo Library isn't active yet. When it is, there will be a switch to enable it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yep, photo stream still exists and works as normal.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

I thought t-mobile was the only provider that supported volte or wifi calls?

At least initially...

They're the first to support Wifi Calling. That's separate from VoLTE. Supposedly Verizon was going to be supporting VoLTE very soon.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The iPhone 6 is sexy as hell. It's so hard to capture the feel of Apple products in photos. Really loving the rounded corners on this thing, and it feels so well built. The camera barely sticks out, the wobble everyone is freaking out about when its lying flat on a table is super minimal.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

I remember getting the 5 demo unit before it came out and thought the same thing about that, excited to see how the 6 looks. Did they improve the brightness or color reproduction or anything on it this time around?

They definitely improved everything about the display. It looks really good. Not that the 5/5s display looked bad...

edit: also yeah it's pretty noticeable when an app is being scaled. I remember some reviews saying it's not as bad as the switch to retina, but I still really want all the apps to be updated for the bigger display ASAP.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What/why are you restoring? Just set it up as a new device.

Apple's backup system is insanely good and why wouldn't you restore?

This constant "set it up as a new device" poo poo is getting to be as bad as advising people to close all their apps all the time.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's a good way to clean up apps you never use off a phone. I guess you could take it personally though :shrug:

I'm not sure what gave you the impression I'm taking it personally? If it works for you that's great, just like sometimes you have to force close an app. But the general reaction to someone restoring their phone shouldn't be "why would you ever restore your phone?" because quite frankly it saves a lot of setup time, app data, and typically works very well.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

This was suggested last time. That allows you to reply to a message but it does not allow Siri to dictate a message you've received without unlocking first.

Example: "hey Siri text Joe Schmo: want to go see a movie later"

*get a text reply from Joe, hands are full*

"Hey siri read my text message"

*sorry you have to unlock your phone first*

I just did this now, from the lock screen, with touch ID enabled. It read the message just fine and I successfully sent a reply all while dictating everything.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys are trying real hard to make it sound like only hipsters with skinny jeans and back pocket phone carriers are capable of bending the phones, yet someone in this very thread with "normal" pants claims he has a slight bend already. No iPhone before this had this issue, so you can't tell everyone to just be extra careful all of a sudden. The video makes it clear that it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of force to cause it, so I think this might be a serious design flaw. When enough users have a problem that kinda ruins a device, it stops being their fault and becomes an issue with the device. And mark my words, this issue will get much bigger very quickly as the next shipments of 6+s get out in the world, as they were pretty limited at release and this is already a huge PR disaster. I'm curious what Apple will say/do, once the mainstream media makes a fuss about it they will have to do some damage control.

The video is completely unscientific and there's no way of confirming how much force is needed nor whether there was already an issue with that device before.

There are tons of pictures floating around of bent iPhone 5 and 5S phones as well, but that was never blown up to be a big deal.

Also, the release wasn't really that limited, they shipped 10 million phones.

This could very well be a big problem, but a few pictures from the Internet and a guy intentionally applying a lot of force to bend the phone means nothing.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just an FYI for people who potentially have hardware problems, iPhone release time is the best time to bring in your phone for any issue you're having. They keep stock of replacements handy for customers having issues, and are more likely to immediately replace it on the spot and send it back to Apple so they can analyze potential problems.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

beanieson posted:

So Siri lets you easily bypass the lock code/thumbprint deal.

From the lock screen tell Siri to "open safari" or whatever, when the app opens you can simply hit the home button to get access to the entire phone. I've been trying it with different apps & only once did it not work (with Amazon), but I tried it again with that app and was able to bypass the lock code numerous times.

Has it always been this way? Id never used the lock code before having the iPhone 6.

What's actually happening here is when you're activating Siri from the home screen, Touch ID has already read your print (since you're holding the home button for Siri). Open Safari just seamlessly works because your phone is unlocked.

If you want to verify this, go to Settings > Touch ID and turn off the switch that lets you use it to unlock the phone. She will now ask you to unlock your phone first before going to the Safari app.

Pretty cool that it works so seamlessly like this.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

So not even a week into the life of my 6+, and the phone is stuck in headphone mode - despite never being used with headphones/dock or anything of the sort. I've tried inserting and removing a pair of headphones several times, blowing dust out of the headphone jack, restarting, resetting settings etc. and nothing seems to work.

Take it into the store (make an appointment), they'll have stock of 6+'s and swap you out with a new one.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

DeceasedHorse posted:

I gotta say this whole bending phone thing makes me a little apprehensive about my 6+ order; I guess that's one advantage of getting my phone several weeks post-release, it just seems that there is a lot of conflicting information out there right now.

The whole reason I stopped getting Androids was to avoid having to worry about this kind of manufacturer fuckups (and carriers messing around with software updates-the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was not a fun situation).

This issue has been blown pretty far out of proportion in the echo chamber. Apple has only received 9 actual complaints (out of millions of phones shipped) and has been replacing them under warranty. Most of the pictures circulating around are the original ones posted on MacRumors days ago, or are pictures from people running their own "tests".

Even the original "bend test" video has been put under scrutiny, so I would say just take a step back from it all. Receive your device, and use it as normal. You have 14 days to return it and Apple has some of the best customer service in the business.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Ouhei posted:

I was just talking to a coworker about this today, I'm hoping they fix/adjust this in 8.1 or something and give us more there (though looking on the internet, it seems to do the 3x3 grid on iPad's too, which is just silly).

tuyop posted:

Yeah it's always been that way. Nobody cares.

It's definitely intentional to ensure that the small folder icon matches the first page of the enlarged folder. I can understand the reasoning behind it but as they increasingly make the UI more resizable it feels like something's gotta give here.

I wouldn't count on this changing until iOS 9 at the earliest though.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Also I didn't really realize how predatory Android apps are with permissions until I went to iOS and the most random apps started requesting background location permission. I never really thought about that kinda thing while installing Android apps. "Target's app wants to access my location? Oh yeah, store locator, makes sense." I never really considered the ramifications of the fact that, at any point, random retailer app or whatever could just decide to ping my location to see where I was even if I wasn't actively using the store locator function of the app. So that was another reason for the switch, even if it's retroactive.

There are lots of reasons I stick with iPhones and iOS, but this is a big one, and it feels like Google isn't in a hurry to address this problem any time soon. I hate the 'all or nothing' approach they currently have.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Unless the geofences are really valuable to me I turn that poo poo off. For the record, I have app store location enabled and it doesn't show that geofence image, so I think that's just Google Wallet.

edit: Oh, you meant the Apple Store app. No idea about that one. It doesn't display a geofence for me, but I don't use it much.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

xzzy posted:

Anyone in here use the VPN feature? The iOS 8 hype suggested that once you established a VPN connection it would persist even after putting the phone to sleep for a while.

But this isn't happening for me.. every time I switch to cellular and back to wifi or turn the phone off for a few minutes, the VPN connection goes away and tosses up a dialog box saying the "connection was closed." As near as I can tell they found a way to make it even more annoying without improving the functionality at all.

Or maybe I just have something configured wrong.

I use it. I don't think VPN improvements were mentioned in iOS 8 at all, not that I remember anyway.

It can't maintain the connection while sleeping the phone. There are ways to configure the phone to always use a certain VPN for a specific app, but you need to configure that with Apple Configurator and a configuration profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

nwin posted:

nope she didn't. You figure that the Apple Store would have told her this fact.

Any idea how to fix it?

In addition to turning iMessage off and back on, remove her old device from her Find My iPhone list.