Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Can't wait to see it animated in a few years.

I only just caught up with this series but out of curiosity, why is the anime divided into individual seasons as opposed to just being one big continuous series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, makes sense then. I just watched the first three seasons and then started the manga from there so I'm not sure how good an adaption it is but the MHA anime seems fairly decent in most respects as far as I'm concerned.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, was there anything from the manga that wasn’t in the anime? I only started reading it from the point where Season 3 left off.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

I hope the kids have an actual thing to do next since it's been a really long time since we've seen them in real action

I forget, how long has it been now since we last saw Midoriya and the others in this manga?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 5, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Yeah, Bleach/Naruto/One Piece being referred to as the big three mostly felt like an insult to One Piece from what I've heard about Bleach.

From what I remember, Bleach peaked early on and just kind of got progressively worse from there (the anime ended before the manga did and I still think it went on too long). The live action movie was alright though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Naruto had every opportunity to kill off Itachi and just made him stand up completely unscathed every time for absolutely no reason. It was a problem entirely of the writer's own creation.

You mean Madara, Itachi was Sasuke’s brother and basically the only good Uchiha aside from maybe Sarada from the current series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, the sequel series Boruto has been alright so far though (as far as the anime goes at least) but I agree the original did go off the rails after a while. It never turned into quite as much of a train wreck as Bleach did at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Boruto anime is actually genuinely good, don’t bother with the manga though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jose posted:

It's this pronounced kac-chan or ka-chan? One sounds a lot worse

The latter (according to the anime anyway).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Horikoshi has said that Midoriya's father will show up at some point in the story which, good god, it better not be AFO somehow. I'm highly doubting it, but it would be the most cape comic thing ever.

I forget, has it been said in the manga (or the anime for that matter) where Deku’s dad is at the moment?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 17, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah yes, also apparently Midoriya’s dad can breathe fire and his mom is a living magnet (I don’t remember if we’ve ever actually seen her use her quirk though).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

There's a few times when you see her using it to grab stuff in the kitchen.

Whenever people bring up Deku's dad, I think back to the Muscular fight when Deku thought he was going to die and he was apologizing to his mom and All Might. Even when he thinks he's about to die, his dad doesn't even cross his mind.

Yeah, Deku never really brings up his father that much (if at all for that matter) which sort of makes me wonder what kind of relationship the two have with one another.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I finally caught up with Vigilantes and was curious about something, is this supposed to be a prequel to MHA or just a side story taking place in the same universe?

Also they really need to make an anime out of this series one day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Anyone know where the new movie is in the plotline? I know Hawks is in but that’s it. Some friends want to go but they’re not even through the new season so I wanted to see if there’d be any big spoilers in it

Speaking of which, as I only just got around to watching it recently where does the first MHA movie take place on the series timeline?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am completely convinced My Villain Academia will be getting its own special OP and ED in the anime (maybe they could even change the logo as well).

Speaking of which, do we have any idea how far into the manga Season 4 is going to go?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, is his mom’s Quirk just limited to small objects? Because otherwise I could possibly see telekinesis being somewhat useful at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Somewhat off the subject but in cases like Toga, I’ve always wondered how the person found out they had a quirk in the first place when it requires other people in order to work.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 11, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Libra posted:

It is funny that having no quirk is seen as a big deal when the people of this universe have access to crazy technology that honestly surpasses a lot of quirks.
A quirkless person who learns to use a fancy Aizawa battle-scarf is still more powerful than a person with a lame or even mid-level quirk.

Hell, one of the main characters in Vigilantes is technically quirkless but he trained his body so much that it doesn’t really matter much as far as his combat ability is concerned.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crain posted:

Would OFA work on the roboarm though?

Honestly they could give him a disposable device right now for 100% slug fests. Some sort of cover device that goes over the arm and dampens the impact against his own arm while transferring the power to the target. Just each punch destroys the device so you can still have some tension of "CAN I FINISH THIS BEFORE NEEDING TO EXPLODE MYSELF AGAIN?"

Not sure how canon it’s supposed to be but didn’t he basically get something like that in the first movie?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Do Record of Lodoss War and Slayers still hold up?

Never saw the first one, is it any good?

Slayers absolutely holds up though and if you’re in the US then all five seasons are legally available both subbed and dubbed on Funimation’s YouTube channel.

Also they’re apparently going to announce something for its 30th anniversary next month so it’s possible we might be getting a new anime for that eventually as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crasical posted:

Aliens definitely exists in the MHA universe because otherwise Ashido Mina wouldn't have tried to name herself Alien Queen.

Speaking of which, has it ever been mentioned whether Mina is actually an alien or does she just look like that because of her Quirk?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, have Miruko and Bakugo ever interacted with each other before? If not, they should.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Considering Mirko's quirk is just "does what a rabbit can, but better", Tsuyu really needs to start working out.

To be fair though, how exactly do you go about improving on “is a frog”?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

the official chapter is out so you don't need to tag your spoilers

Got a link to it then?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

I am 90% positive they're going to end up with Stephanie Young for Mirko's English voice.

I forget, Mirko hasn’t shown up in the anime yet has she (I can remember if she appeared early on or not)?

Also in regards to the movie, did they ever explain how OfA suddenly went back to Deku at the end? I understand the real reason of course but I can’t remember if they bothered to make an in-canon explanation

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

She has shown up, but only as an unvoiced still picture in the end credits.

We see her playing volleyball in her high school days.

When was Mirko’s first real appearance in the manga again?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again:

GENTLE IS GOOD

I forget, do Gentle and/or La Brava ever come back after their debut arc?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

With only two episodes left, I really wonder where exactly this season is going to end. Next week is the new top ten reveal, maybe that episode ending with the beginning of the High End fight, then the rest of the fight done on the last episode with the aftermath saved for next season? :shrug:

Wait, there’s only two episodes left in Season 4? Where did you hear that?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

The season is supposed to be 25 episodes long and we're on episode 23.

Ah, wasn’t aware of that. How long is the gap between seasons usually?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Give Mirko her own series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

While the intentions might have started off good Hagakure is starting to show her weakness. I can't even remember if she helped out in the last act of the movie or if she is even part of this raid.

If Hagakure dies it might be nice to at least finally see her face somehow.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

raocow posted:

that is not the voice I had imagined for Mirko

Any idea who voices Mirko in the anime?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Season five is confirmed.

What's funny is that everyone who cares anywhere is excited for My Villain Academia but not a word about the entire likely 1 cour that the Joint Training arc is gonna get first. Anime only people are gonna think it's entirely filler, lmao

Cool, do we have a release date yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The school festival arc also had Gentle (who really needs to come back someday) as well as a pretty good song in the anime version:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Og0VI46k1bg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We don’t have a start date for Season 5 yet do we?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The way they ended halfway into the Pro Hero stuff means the anime thread gets to have the Endeavor discussion for like 6 months

Sort of makes me wonder how they’re going to handle the obligatory recap episode for season 5 considering 4 ended right in the middle of a story arc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, this critical mistake means we're never going to see her helping anymore.

Unless she gets shrunk and works on Antman logic afterward.

Can’t she already switch between human and giant sized at will? I remember her doing that a few times in the anime at least, though I don’t imagine she could really do a whole lot of good in either form of course since as mentioned her Quirk isn’t exactly that suitable for city life.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fabricated posted:

New vigilantes chapter! It's good!

Have a link handy?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was a good one. It feels like we’re heading towards a conclusion soon, has there been any official word on how many chapters are left in Vigilantes now?

If it’s ending soon at all that is, I thought I’d heard something to that effect but I’m not completely sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering how action heavy this current arc is I imagine it’ll probably flow a lot better in the anime than it currently does in the manga. Still good though.