Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I think it's a game that can be played by people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Edit: This is about the Harbor expansion, I'm not sure if there are any others coming along.

The expansion changes the game up. With the addition of new buildings, you also change the plateau into a deck of buildings with 10 unique buildings showing at any one time. If a copy of an existing building is dealt, you keep dealing until you get a new one. There are also 2 new landmarks which tie into some of the new buildings.

It didn't feel much more complex to me and I don't think I'd recommend it as a fix to someone who thinks the base game is too light. It simply adds some variety and new strategies, as well as forcing people to not take the same buildings every single game.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 19, 2014

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I've only played the skirmish mode once, so I looked up the rules.

The Strain hero powers all add strain to the character, so putting it onto them yourself limits their ability to use those powers; a character can't voluntarily take Strain if it would put them over their Endurance.

That damage-into-strain power seems pretty mediocre though, since a single action lets a hero remove all their strain.

Loading strain onto a hero is all about taking their options away. If you don't feel confident about making them wounded/dead in a mission, forcing them to burn an action to rest just so they can use abilities or strain-move is a decent option. Doubly so if they're under the gun for a time-sensitive mission.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

At least we've got XCOM to pass the time until DL ships, that game is good even if you have to play with someone who can't stand time pressures and needs to continually pause on Easy mode.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

jmzero posted:

Anyone else want to chime in on X-Com? I'm right on the edge as it sounds like people have generally had fun, but it also doesn't sound like anyone has spent much time with it... my group loves X-Com (the tactical video game) but is also immediately suspicious of FFG. Just need one more opinion to push me one way or another.

The biggest thing for you and your group to understand is that there is no tactical combat involved with XCOM the board game. It's all at Geoscape scale, having each of you make strategic decisions within time constraints such as "Which of these six techs do I want to try researching this turn and how much of our budget can we spare towards those efforts and oh God five seconds left to place my first tech of three ahhhhhhhhh"

Speaking of the budget, I think it's a nice touch. You can get everything you want in the early rounds by burning your emergency cash and then as the game progresses you get more and more pressed for what you can spare budget towards. And if you gently caress up on your budget? Most panicked nation gets more panicked as a punishment.

Maybe this turn since there's only 1 alien at base you can skip base defense? It'd save 2-3 credits that could go toward stopping all those UFOs you weren't able to clear last turn. And do we REALLY need all those scientists working right now? I'm sure you could use some salvage instead and maybe we don't get all the techs this turn. Just for gently caress's sake don't let any UFOs hang out in orbit again, having to place a base team before seeing aliens was brutal.

All in all, a very pleasing experience and I'm looking forward to my next games.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Glazius posted:

Second game: Machi Koro + Harbor. After the last game dealt out 10 buildings 9 of which were 3 coins or greater, I decide hell with it and put all 26 out. I think about two-thirds of that game was analysis paralysis so I'm thinking of going back to the 10. But I'd kind of like to have more 1-coin or at least early-game buildings out for purchase. Any suggestions.

Just mulligan the starting 10 if you're unhappy with the card costs?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Why is Machi Koro so popular? It's everywhere but it always seems to be followed by people commenting on how it's kind of dull

It's simple and lets you roll dice a lot to get money.

Bubble-T posted:

I have considered EmDo but I hear it really needs an expansion to be good, is that right?

Pretty much, the expansion fixes the problems with military in the base set. Variant starts are also nice.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Randalor posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Golem Arcana? I've been on the fence about picking it up for awhile now, and was just wondering if anyone has played it and had any thoughts about it?

I think the best one word description of Golem Arcana is unnecessary.

The underlying game is fine, but having it be both digital and physical is not adding anything to the experience. From what I understand, the game could just be run 100% digital or physical without much trouble. It was more annoying than interesting to have to touch the stylus to the map tiles and figure bases to do anything, especially since that precludes the use of 100% custom terrain on your tabletop.

I do like how your side gets X AP per turn and you can dump all of it into one creature if you're willing to take on escalating AP costs and cooldown on said costs. The custom scenario support through the app also looks decent.

The figures look great and are pre-painted if painting isn't your thing. However, you only get 6 of them in the starter box, which is retailing for $80 USD direct from HBS' webstore. I'm used to more minis for my buck in starter sets, so that's a turnoff.

But all that aside, the critical aspects of Golem Arcana (and any minis game, really) are support from FLGSes and an active player base. In my area, I don't even see the starter box on shelves, let alone more minis to expand my set. And I have never seen anyone playing the game, which is a killer.

All in all, I had my chance to play the demo and run out to buy the game afterward at a convention last weekend, and I passed on it. It's too expensive, unspported in my area, and unlike, say, XCOM the boardgame, having an app with the game isn't much of a value-add. A good experiment and I'd like to see more people trying to work smartphone apps into board games, but Golem Arcana isn't it for me.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

sticklefifer posted:

Any good games that are both co-op and competitive at the same time? Like you're cooperating for a common goal against the game, but there are also individual goals, and only one of you is the sole winner at the end rather than all/some of you.

Cutthroat Caverns should work for that. You need to cooperate to not get killed by monsters, compete to get last hits for prestige, and outlast to be the living person with the most prestige at the end of the game.

Mage Knight is also in the ballpark. I've only played against Volkare from the expansion once but I vaguely remember that he basically forces a coop mentality while leaving room for competition. The straight coop scenario from the base game also works.

And seconding Archipelago so hard. It's the perfect fit for those criteria. If you don't cooperate, a rebellion happens, the game ends, and no one wins. If you don't compete, you'll never scrounge enough points from victory conditions to be the eventual winner.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

The latest one has much better component quality, I would hold out if you can't find it.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Stuff like "If this condition says you can't win while you have it, ignore that clause." It'll be mostly obvious what is a bit lovely for overall enjoyment of the game.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Any opinions on Imperial Settlers from people who have played it more than once at a con on a tired Sunday morning? Are there issues with it that pop up after a few plays?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

How does it feel to not have a soul?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

GrandpaPants posted:

Imagine if that was your first game of Imperial Settlers, where you get trounced like this, even if it was only a small percentage chance of the time. Would you give it a second chance or write it off as random bullshit, which it completely is in this case? While I hear the same thing in Chaos in the Old World with respect to Khorne dominating newbie games, most people can at least realize that you can play around Khorne and otherwise learn to not engage him like he were some mouthbreather wearing cat ear headphones. What are you not supposed to do in Imperial Settlers? Not use one of your resources? Pray that the Egypt player doesn't realize how broken Oasis is? Realize that there are better balanced games that aren't as frustrating to play? And this is just the not-Egypt players, versus the very specific bullshit the Japanese player has to contend with. Maybe IS is a decent game if it were just Rome vs. Barbarians, as some sort of weird representation of the Gallic Wars, I dunno.

Also, one of the stated design goals of IS was to get away from 51st State's arbitrary limit rules. Of course, they mostly did a soft limit by just having the game be a set 5 round game, instead of a race to X points, but that's also why you probably won't see any errata limiting Oasis's use.

Every time I've seen the Oasis played, I've been able to minimize its impact by waiting as long as possible to throw my workers for cards/resources. As soon as the Egyptian player passes, Oasis becomes a non-factor since he can't store workers from turn to turn.

I know it's not possible do that some of the time and you just have to eat sending the Egyptian player some workers. But in my experience, Oasis hasn't been game-breaking, just strong enough that it forces people to play around it.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Lord Frisk posted:

Also, how is roll for the galaxy's box bigger than race? Are the dice huge or something?

5 plastic cups, more dice than you'd expect, cards are now tiles with some thickness, it all adds up. That being said, there's still empty room in the box.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

signalnoise posted:

OK, someone give me quick rundowns of how Elysium, Argent, Shogun, and Evolution are played

Argent is worker placement with 12 hidden objectives that you can find out about during the game. Each worker is a certain type of mage that has an ability, so the order and type you place are very important. Kinda like Harry Potter meets Agricola.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

lordsummerisle posted:

Any good suggestions for a Warhammer Quest like dungeon crawl? Though my tastes have turned a bit euro after getting into the hobby again a few years ago, I really miss playing Warhammer Quest in my teens. Nothing has really replaced that feeling of playing a persistent randomized rpg-lite/roguelike. We have tried Descent and Mansions of Madness, and though I like both, I really don't want to have to be the keeper each time. Descent is kind of done now after playing the full campaign once. MoM will be pulled out whenever I feel like setting up the damned thing hours in advance. MoM also lacks that campaign itch I want to scratch.

After that I tried Pathfinder and Shadowrun Crossfire. I HATE Patfhinder, finding it too thematic and too abstract at the same time. And just no fun at all. I like Shadowrun a lot. But its more of a quick and intense co op puzzle for us. The upgrades are nice and all, but don't really feel like upgrading a character.

Next I tried Mage Knight, which I really really love. It is epic and amazing. But it doesn't have the beer and pretzels "oh poo poo what happens now?" feel from WQ. We basically sit studying our cards intensely, trying to create our perfect moves. And no campaign with persistent upgrades here either.

So what are my options? Shadows of Brimstone really seems to fit the bill. Has anyone tried it? Galaxy Defenders?

The D&D board games like Wrath of Ashardalon might work as a replacement to WQ. Nice figures, dungeon's randomized, and enough scenarios to keep a person interested. Problem is, I don't think they ever got a campaign mode working unless it came with one of the later games. Still, lots of content with three (at my last count, anyway) different boxed sets to choose from and/or mix'n'match with. It's based on a bastardized version of 4E which works well for a pure dungeon crawl.

Wish I had a better suggestion, but nothing seems to have hit all the beats that WQ did.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Malloreon posted:

What do I need to know in order to crush my friends at our first game of Argent: The Consortium?

My thoughts after a few games, take them with a grain of salt:

Marks are valuable early to get a good idea which Consortium members you should be competing for, worth less the later you get them since you won't have as many meaningful actions you can take with the information gained.

I found Supporter cards to be very good, make a point to try for at least one every turn. Even the Secret Supporters which are completely random and won't give you a power are worth it for end-game scoring purposes. Chances are you will luck into at least 1 Consortium member's vote by doing this.

Lots of actions gained via Spells, Supporters, and Vault Cards are useful, but keep in mind rounds can be ended earlier than you wish by people who don't have the breadth of options you do. And there will be at least 1 person at the table who hasn't been picking up a bunch of extra actions.

Merit Badges are really good to have, but I wouldn't count on having more than 2 of them for most of the game. Everyone else will want room on Influence spaces to get their own Merit Badges and/or progress toward the Influence Consortium member. To my mind, I would prioritize getting the first Merit Badge ASAP, Turn 1 if possible. Get the 2nd one as opportunities to pick up Influence present themselves.

Biggest thing though is to have a plan when it comes to the Consortium voters. You need to be able to commit enough to make sure of a few votes and then hopefully compete in other categories to pick up the extra you need. Influence is important here, since it's the tiebreaker.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

It's a very random game where it is totally possible for one person to get poo poo on by the various decks of cards and dice rolls and another to get everything their heart desires.

If you can put up with that bullshit, I guess it's a decent Firefly experience?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Toshimo posted:

On an unrelated note, if you had to pick examples of different levels of theme on say... A 0 to 5 star scale where 0 is totally abstract and 5 is Themasauras Rex, what would your go-to examples be?

0 - Go I guess? There would be few games I consider to be totally abstract, and I don't think I play any of them.
1 - Trains. It's basically a re-skin of Dominion with an added dimension to score points in which can be mostly ignored at times. Plus a fair number of the game effects don't tie in very well to what the cards are representing.
2 - Lords of Waterdeep. The game has a bunch of D&D trappings, but the setting could be changed and the game rebranded without feeling like it was forced. Just a weak connection between the theme and gameplay, even though I like the theme and I think the game elements themselves tie together in a good way.
3 - Paperback. A game that takes Dominion and Scrabble and then makes its own thing. You couldn't easily change the game's intent or setting without requiring a massive overhaul of the gameplay. Still has a major disassociation with the gameplay and what you as the in-game character are meant to be doing to win, so the victory condition feels abstract in a way.
4 - Mage Knight. It eventually makes you feel like a powerful wizard but some things feel disassociated, like not being able to move freely every turn. While it makes perfect sense for the game, it doesn't necessarily jive with being a spellcasting savant.
5 - Dungeon Lords, it's dripping with bits of flavor and most of that ties back into the actual gameplay. If you've played it, you know how. If you haven't, go find an open copy somewhere and someone to teach you. It's great!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

QnoisX posted:

So my cousin has an unopened copy of Tzolk'in sitting on a shelf. Dunno if he ever plans to open it. Anyone played it? Good? Just wondering if I should bug him about opening it so we can play. Apparently he bought it from a LGS when his sister wanted to play some games, but didn't open it for whatever reason.

Played it last night, enjoyed gnashing my teeth over how to place and remove guys on the gears. It's challenging.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Jedit posted:

I played it at Spiel last year with 4. It's bad, it goes on way too long and we actually got the designer to admit he was ripping off Carcassonne.

One of our group bought it anyway. :negative:

As long as the idea of Space Carcasonne With Triangles doesn't turn you off Galaxy of Trian is enjoyable and I'd recommend it to other people.

However, I completely agree with Jedit on the game being too long. The final stretch overstays its welcome and there were few meaningful decisions to make with the 0-2 ambassadors everyone had leftover from placing the rest on high value areas. More ambassadors might help, but I suspect reducing the tile count is the better option. The ship expansion seems like it might help as well by giving you something else to do when you can't/won't place someone.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Merauder posted:

Having recently played Twilight Imperium for the first time, how does Forbidden Stars compare? Is it a similar style game at all, just smaller?

Forbidden Stars has a greater focus on fighting and resolving combat via cards instead of dice. Plus, unlike TI, you have no commitment to holding your homeworld in order to score objectives if it turns out you can have a better position by abandoning its defense. I'd say they scratch suitably different itches for me.

Fake edit: Oh yeah, each individual unit carries more weight to it in Forbidden Stars and the game runs a hell of a lot shorter than TI could ever hope to.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 12, 2015

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

frajaq posted:

Can routed ships be used as movement "bridges" in Forbidden Stars?

Nothing under Areas or Rout and Rally says they don't count as troops for determining Friendly control of an area, so I'd say yes.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

lordsummerisle posted:

With the Kickstarter soon closing, has anyone here tried the pnp or online demos of Gloomhaven? It looks super solid and inventive.

Tried the intro scenario on Tabletop Simulator last night and I liked how the complexity comes more from how you control your hand of ability cards than various rules for LOS, zones of control, etc. Scenarios are fast too.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

SynthOrange posted:

Also played King of Tokyo. Review: It is a game you play with people. :effort:

You can kill a manGodzilla at a hundred paces with the dice.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

KamikazeJim posted:

So what about NHL Power Play? It differs from the rest of the Cerberus games in that none of the cards have VP whatsoever, and the only way to score is to attempt to purchase a Goalie (the game's equivalent of Super Villains) and hope that you still have enough Power to buy it after any opponents play Defender cards (and also you can't do anything else that turn, if you end up with not enough power, lol you just wasted a turn.) I saw it last year and thought maybe it's the one good Cerberus Engine game but never bothered to actually try it.

As a pure game, I don't think it's much better than DC Deckbuilder.

Every turn you can choose to take a shot on a goalie where you must get from 9-12 power to be successful, with the opponent(s) optionally playing a Defender card into your attempt to raise that number by 1-3 or buy cards. If you successfully score on a goalie, you just take that goalie card as a goal/VP. Whoever scores more by the end of the game wins. There's also a Penalty mechanic where some cards give you or your opponent(s) these. Some cards get more powerful if you have Penalties floating around, but if you ever have 2 or more Penalties in your hand during a turn, you lose that turn. Otherwise, the game is Cryptozoic's typical market row DBG.

Things I liked about it:
Choosing between shot-taking or buying cards at the beginning of your turn is a good change. A significant number of buyable players will say "When taking a shot, draw [a/some] card." instead of having a bunch of raw power, making them less useful when you aren't taking shots.
Successfully taking a shot on a goalie doesn't give you a snowball effect as in DC Deckbuilder by giving you an awesome card in your deck. HOWEVER, if your opponent is still playing catchup with his deck's ability to put out X power in a turn, raising the target number by defeating the easier goalies can still result in some snowballing.
All of the players are unique. The card effects are copied, but you don't get a situation where you play 2 Crosbys and 3 Ovechkins on a turn.
Penalties can give you a push your luck element to curb trying to draw through your entire deck in a turn.

Things I dislike:
Most games I've played has come down to both players cycling through a significant-to-entire portion of their decks while taking shots. Penalties can act as a deterrent to this, but first you need to find market row cards that actually hand out Penalties.
All the card draw during shots makes the game longer than I would like it to be.
The default rule of only 1 Defender played against a shot (to add 1-3 extra power needed to score) feels too weak and hasn't stopped shots often in the 2 player games I've tried. I would strongly consider allowing your opponent to throw all Defenders he has against a given shot.
Trashing is still godly. If you're the only person who lucks into access to trashing from the market row, congrats on your win.

All that said, it is the only NHL-themed deckbuilder on the market I know of, and that got one of my relatives to try it. There are much better deckbuilders around if the theme isn't critical to your enjoyment.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 19, 2015

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Evil Mastermind posted:

General opinion on Forge War is that it's good, right? My game store just got a copy in.

I tried the Flash version on Cephalofair's website and now I've got a standing (pre?)order for the 2nd edition, so I think it's good. Using Yinsh as the base for the resource collection in the mine makes for interesting choices both in short and long term planning and only getting 1 action per phase of your turn means you're almost always having to pass on things that would be great to do/use.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Wait, do you mean like Yinsh the chill-as-hell abstract? Or some other Yinsh?

Yes, that Yinsh. The mine is hex-based and changes with player count, each player gets 3 Overseers (rings from Yinsh) and leaves behind Workers (markers) every move. Hexes give out a resource when a Worker is placed, and moving over Workers to flip them works the same as Yinsh except that the person with the least Workers gets the new one (and a resource) in the case of flipping your own Worker. If a cluster of 5 Workers of the same color are ever together at once, they strike and get pulled off the board.

The board is cleared every 6 rounds (18 total rounds, so cleared twice) and new resource hexes are laid down. You can also get an immediate Overseer move or the ability to relocate a Worker from some of the market cards. The other large wrinkle is that the first player to move their Overseer in a turn gets the option to take a 2nd move after everyone else. Makes them last in the player order for the upcoming turn though.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Hauki posted:

What was the gooncensus on Eminent Domain?

or more accurately, any thoughts on it in relation to other deckbuilders

It's Just Fun.

But really, it's good, the system of taking a role each turn and putting it into your deck after execution is a great way to allow you control over how your deck evolves and your game will play out. The expansion fixes some problems with the base game (allows military strategies, adds different starting positions) so if you like EM after a few plays, definitely spend the money.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Is Dark Moon worth a go? BSG but shorter looks like it could be good.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fat Samurai posted:

Wait, what? How does it work similarly to BB? You order your dudes for the next 5 seconds and then it goes to real time with simultaneous movement, to say nothing about the theme, which is military skirmishes. It's more similar to Space Alert (and robo rally? I haven't played anything with programming besides Space Alert) than anything.

Am I missing a game I could be playing instead of giving money to Cyanide?

He might have meant Frozen Cortex, which is from the same devs but modeled around a futuristic game of American-style football.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

StashAugustine posted:

I just want a decent American football game in general

Don't get this one if you want decent. It's basically a series of 50/50 flips with some dice luck thrown in for good measure. You call various Run or Pass defenses and if you get it wrong you usually give up a 1st down even if you called one of the moderate defenses.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

FulsomFrank posted:

Does anyone else have problems with their groups and people that take games way too seriously? I expect a certain amount of poo poo talking and bragging but there are two or three in our group that just bring everyone down when they're not winning or someone has the gall to make a move that is directly against them. It's getting so bad that an evening can get ruined if there is anything remotely aggressive pulled out. I think Keyflower would actually cause a tears/brawl/break-up. Christ it's bad enough with Codenames and one person who literally screams at you if she thinks you're making signs with your eyes.

I've got this with one friend, compounded by the fact that he's the most aggressive of our group when it comes to setting up plays. If you ever have the temerity to spoil his plans he insta-sulks. It's hard to deal with given that most of the time the way to counter whatever aggression he's putting out is to derail his plans.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

It'll be the tits.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyways, can I get thoughts on Onitama and Knitwit? They're the only two games on my radar right now, it would be nice to get something new to the table because all we've played for 3 months is AGOT LCG 2.0.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160477/onitama

Onitama looks like an interesting mix of Chess, The Duke, and Tash-Kalar

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/191982/knit-wit

Knit Wit looks pretty silly but in an endearing way.

I tried Knit Wit two weeks ago and enjoyed it, but your group needs to be creative and/or willing accept outlandish answers for the game to shine. Loved the spools and thread too.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Monopoly is a good game because it stopped me from becoming a serial killer when I was 5.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Play for your goals, keep an eye on what everyone else leads out with because there's a good chance they're not being subtle about what they need to do for points.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fat Samurai posted:

Pathfinder, the Card Game on iOS. It's a bad game, but Ascension is, too, and I've probably played more games that every other game I own combined because it's easy to take a couple of turns on the bus.

Unfortunately they only give you 2 characters and 1 adventure with 3 scenarios for free, the core set costs $35 without extra characters. It's not exactly mobile pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fat Samurai posted:

Fair enough. Didn't check the pricing, I'd say not worth it at that price tag. I'd be willing to pay 10-15$

Scyther posted:

Blargh, that stinks. I don't even really like the game but I was hoping to add it to my iPad time wasters because most crummy games are a lot more palatable when an app does all the legwork.

Sorry, I was wrong about the characters. They do come in the $35 pack, but you're still paying a hell of a lot for a mobile game. And all the adventures from that pack aren't even in the game yet!