Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
SVWAG has their patreon up now.

The three dollar tier is tempting to get the unedited episodes. Donate or don't, whatever.

https://www.patreon.com/svwag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've played it over 100 times with my current gaming group and we still look forward to getting together to play it every week. Game is good.

I do agree with Walker from SVWAG. It can be too easy to win. I have never lost a game of Spirit Island. I like it, but either my players are amazing or the game may not be hard enough.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chubbs posted:

Is there a spirit combo that you tend to use or do you choose them arbitrarily?

Also the game has something like 17 different levels of difficulty so it would depend on which invaders/scenarios you use, etc.

The choice tends to be to select them arbitrarily. I know it has higher difficulty levels and I guess I should have been clearer. It is my intent to ramp that up as even the middle tier stuff seems too easy.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I can usually win against difficulty 10 opponents if I'm playing two spirits solo that I know how to use together, but that falls apart in multiplayer games. We don't usually go above difficulty 7 or 8 as a group.

Do you have any advice for properly coordinating while playing the highest difficulties (10+)?

These days we've been playing a lot with an extra board against medium level opponents.

edit: Second wave with an extra board, seeing how far we can go is a lot of fun.

edit 2: I think Walker is full of poo poo, honestly. I doubt he has played anything past the tutorial difficulty.

My only advice for properly coordinating is just talk it through as a team. Discuss how you can buff each other and what you will be capable of tackling in the coming turn.

Walker has played well past that. Mark loves the game and it sees the table often.

Bottom Liner posted:

This is still the weirdest criticism because the game has insane scaling of difficulty from “you won’t lose” to “you won’t win” and the amount of fine tuning you can make in between those two for your taste is so well done. When anyone says it’s too hard or too easy, they’re just not using the scaling difficulty correctly. That could be the games fault a bit, it could do a better job helping players find their ideal difficulty.

It was intended as more of an observation. As I said above I should have added that I intend to up the difficulty next time. It may be a side effect of a new player or two at the table. We are reluctant to play at upper tier difficulty so won't they feel lost and ask for too much coaching. Either we need an all veterans game, or just play with a newbie and warn them about what we are doing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

I don't know them personally and I'm a couple of weeks behind on the podcast but from what I'd heard he has only played it on two occasions and had a really negative impression because it was too easy. Second time it sounded like he was looking for reasons to dislike it.

If you are actually gaming with them and this isn't the case apologies for my strong language but that wasn't conveyed in their podcast.

No worries. Walker likes to be cantankerous from time to time and he leans into it in the podcast. He has played it since those first plays, but needs to be coerced into playing it now (sadly). At least he wears his biases on his sleeve :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for good co-op games? I already have Gloomhaven, Pandemic Legacy, Burgle Bros, Eldritch Horror, and Spirit Island - but I'm looking for more!

I've been having fun with Menara a co-op dexterity game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I posted this in the chat thread but I figured it'd be good to xpost to the actual board game thread:

Anyone got any recommendations for board or card games with a low set up and play time? My lunch group at work is getting sick of Coup (base game only) and Avalon (the Resistance). Social deduction, strategy, and 5+ player count are big pluses.

If they don't hate trick taking games your options open up.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Redundant posted:

Is The Quacks of Quedlinburg as good as everybody is saying? It sounds like an interesting idea but it's tough to get a real feel about a game when the praise is so effusive. If anything the lack of criticism makes me more hesitant to buy it.

Both the SUSD (positive) review and the SVWAG (negative) review had me completely disinterested. The buy a good tile, and maybe never see that tile from your draw bag is a real turn off. I'll play it if I see it locally, but I strongly doubt I'll be picking it up.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

I will not play with someone who is constantly on their phone unless it’s to check rules clarifications or something important. I guess I just don’t get it, gaming is a social experience as much as anything else to me.

Some people that are socially awkward use the phone to help disengage from the social experience for 30-60 seconds at a time. One guy I game with plays some mindless clicker game on his phone all night and it's kind of obvious that he needs the micro-down time to deal with being social for 3-4 hours. Luckily he can set the phone aside whenever it's his turn and it doesn't seem to distract entirely him as he knows exactly what's going on in the game on the table. I'm not saying you should excuse people that are annoyingly tuned out when they get on their phone, but some people need the respite it offers. That said, he is the only example of a person that can do it successfully that I have encountered.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Has anyone played Founders of Gloomhaven? A friend has picked it up and is keen to play it and I was just curious to hear the thoughts of anyone that had tried it out before.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Ruzihm posted:

Has anyone played Root? I hear its not bad. I think the art and pieces are really cute.

Yes I have. It is good. The artwork is amazingly charming.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I had a quick look, but can't delve into BGG at work.

What is supposed to come with the next Root expansion (that is Kickstarting soon) that retcons/patches the original game? Was any of this addressed in the second printing of the base game?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Third print will have updated stuff. There will be a cheap upgrade tier in the Kickstarter if you don’t want the expansion.

Fiddlesticks. I take it the updates are listed on BGG? I will take a look.

Thanks.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

T-Bone posted:

There's a lot of interesting stuff on Kickstarter in March and April. The new Root expansion, KeyMarket, Glen More II (which went up today), and next month is the new Vital.

I was interested in Glen More until I saw the price. $120 shipped to Canada? Even with the Chronicles extras that seems insanely steep. I want the base game of Glen More and that will never be worth more than around $35 to me. Here’s hoping people sell off their original copies.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 14, 2019

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Wait SVWAG is goony? I missed that. It all makes sense now.

No. I tried to tempt Mark onto SA, but he hates the lay out and feels spread thin enough on BGG Twitter FB and whatever other online stuff he does.

Also, somebody give me 5 geek gold so I can vote, TIA.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Huxley posted:

What's your name on there? I'll give you 5 geek gold.

monkeypuncher

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yeah I choked on that myself in the past.

Silly. Those aren't the eating kind of chips. :munch:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 21, 2019

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I'm not super impressed by the Glen More II Kickstarter.

Anyone here got a copy of the original I can take off their hands? I remember liking it, but not over $100 liking it, that's Gloomhaven level money!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

I know there were a bunch of copies of the original (German) edition floating around at one point. Never did find an English one but honestly it's not that big a deal.

I stubbornly missed my chance at that several times.

Chill la Chill posted:

You could just get Kraftwagen which is usually $12 on Amazon.

I'm buying a piece of nostalgia. Kraftwagen may be mechanically similar, but it isn't the game I played. (lame but true)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

Rahdo is aggravating.

Ftfy

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I truly hope people can see through that review.

“Our large group of close and highly social friends in their 20s and 30s got together in a nice big apartment and drank and talked and laughed until 1am, Blood on the Clock Tower is a fantastic game easily worth over $100.”

It may be the greatest game ever made, but arguably only if played in preferable conditions. Trying to make an 8-13 player game fly is tough. Many friend groups of board gamers aren’t that big. Teaching and running the game at a public game night seems difficult. And we can never forget that the SU&SD crew all seem like theatre kids, jumping at every opportunity to be social and play act a role. I’m glad that works for them, but I know far more people that get into the deductions rather than the roles.

I may be enough of a masochist to do a print and play, which are around, and test it out, but botct looks like a $30 werewolf in $100 demon’s clothing to me.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Are there rules out there?

They are linked in the Kickstarter.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2179643/13th-annual-golden-geek-awards-winners-2018

Golden Geek Winners. Categories shook out alrightexcept for the travesty that is the Podcast selections. Weird year overall for games but glad Root cleaned up and especially happy it grabbed best art.

Mark said he anticipated exactly those results as those podcasts have a better social media reach to ask listeners for votes. He's hopeful to get into the Runner-up category in two years or more.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

djfooboo posted:

My biggest regret was Bunny Bunny Moose Moose. It made me realize Vladda is not infallible.

Why do you say that? I'm about to break it out at a camping event this weekend and I suspect it will be a hit.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

OurIntrepidHero posted:

Do people have any thoughts on Gotham City Chronicles? I know SUSD weren't really fans of it, but I trust goon opinions more.

Too much plastic, not enough game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

e: nevermind

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

What’s wrong with Glen More? I thought it’s pretty cool.

Depending on how people play, they may end up with lots of down time. I play with lots of "efficient" gamers. If your turn is too long (over 20 seconds) some of them get grumpy. I agree that you shouldn't ignore the board state until its your turn, but I may not be able to play my whole turn in 3-5 seconds.

I really do get exhausted by people that want to play a game as fast as possible and as many games as possible. Provided its not straight up AP, why aren't people allowed to play at a relaxed pace?

I like Glen More, but I used to play with a very chill group that could converse and enjoy themselves between turns and wouldn't get up and walk to other tables to see whats going on when they didn't have a turn for 2-3 minutes because they launched their meeple to the front of the pack.

Glen More is a good, but not great game that I still enjoy. (I have no clue about Glen More II)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I'd rather have the recessed edge, but that's definitely some good info.

A pool table is way too big for the area I have to fit my table.

I took a craigslist table. Removed the top. installed a recessed bottom on the edge of the apron and glued down some felt. $10 table, $20 in materials. It's smaller than many game tables, but I often find people get massive things they almost never use full. It was great to have for Pandemic Legacy. We just left the game set up and placed the top back on.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Funzo posted:

Can anyone recommend some small 2-player games that are playable on an airplane? Wife and I are taking a trip in a couple of weeks and it would be nice to have something to do.

The Fox in the Forest or ...and then, we held hands

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I cannot recall who deluxified their copies of Pax Pamir. Can you sound off so I can look at your post history and see your good work?

Thanks.

E Found one:

Chill la Chill posted:

Pax Pamir came in. Played a game with 5 last night. Painted these this morning

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 11, 2019

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SettingSun posted:

This game is hilariously bad. On your turn, you have to play a trail card representing your journey west. You have to play one if it is possible to do so, and most of them make you draw from a Calamity deck. Several of them, such as Snake Bite or Dysentery, just kill you. No choices, no recourse. Draw and be eliminated from the game.

So it holds true to the original computer game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I will be playing Food Chain Magnate for the first time this weekend. I skimmed some strategy guides on BGG, but I'm curious what the board game goon hive-mind has to say about how to play. I'm not worried about winning as much as not annoying veteran players with lots of over analyzing my moves as I don't know much about the game.

Any simple maxims to keep in mind, or things to avoid?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Mayveena posted:

It's going to depend on if you're playing with the expansion or not or at least playing with the new milestones. Do you know if you'll be playing with the new stuff?

I don't know for certain, sorry.

He may just do the base game to keep it simple, he may add the expansion as he has played a fair bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Too Many Bones should have been a video game. I borrowed the huge chest super deluxe version from a friend and it is so much stuff and so much to track for what should be a simple game. Why is it so big and expensive when it could be a $20-$30 video game that could just run all the fiddly and boring bookkeeping?

I liked it, but drat, sooo fiddly for a light weight gamer like me.