Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Hell getting Crusade and Holy watmeans a lot of the time that you barely need to worry about prayer points. Last game I played I never even got my Blue Pyramid on the table. (Though I did snatch the Ghostly Reinforcements after a player left his city with one troop in it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Na people are reacting to him saying he finds most of them unfun when he says he likes just as much as he dislikes

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Broken Loose posted:

I cannot recommend Avalon for people anymore.

Buy Resistance and work your way up. After you're familiar with the concepts, get Hidden Agenda (which adds all the good Avalon stuff). Then, Hostile Intent (which adds all the Resistance3 stuff).

While calling people Evil instead of just Spies is therapeutic, you'll find it much smoother for your group to transition if you simply don't have characters for your first several games.

Its not like there not gonna back port it now anyway give it a few months and there'll be another kick-starter for people to get discoloured cards months later than stores.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Azran posted:

While we're on the topic, what are the best deckbuilding games out there right now? I've never played Dominion, but I have played Ascension and Star Realms I think it was called. I've heard about the complaints levered towards Ascension, but the main thing keeping me away from Dominion is the theme.

The bigest problem with deck building games that are not Dominion is they are trying to be Not-Dominion.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tekopo posted:

Don't play 7 player, it just doesn't work, there isn't enough spaces or actions and it would drag on forever. Terra Mystica is a very carefully balanced game (in terms of gameplay mechanisms, not races), I can't see 7 players working at all.

Plus not enough magic tokens.

Anyway I got it for X-Mas and managed to get it to the table today. Played the preset three player game and god drat it's a good game even better than I had hoped. Each turn I felt as if I had just about enough resources to be effective, once or twice feeling like maybe if I had just one more worker or trying to decide if burning a magic or two to get more gold.

One of the other players and played it once before and we were neck and neck pretty for pretty much half of the game, he was the Alchemists and therefore had pumped his terraforming, so he always had plenty of magic, and but he wasn't able to connect his two areas due to me playing the nomads and the witch player effectively bisecting the map.

I love how at least in the preset game the races complement each other, the witches are able to grow multiple areas then later work of shipping to connect them, the Alchemists have there own massive incentive to pump their spades, and as the nomads the sand storm allowed me to expand while saving on workers and allowing me to use my priests to raise my cult score.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Broken Loose posted:

sigh

I can't even muster the words, really. Nothing can appropriate express my despondence that I will never reach a level of success as some shithead who scribbles clickbait of fat people rolling in poo poo and screaming.

Take solace in the fact that although you'll probably not even make one percent of the money, you'll get mocked here at least half as much with about three quarters of the sincerity.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
if there space and you can wait till half past I'm in.

edit Names the same

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

The End posted:

So, I said earlier I'd do a better write up for Mythotopia by Martin Wallace, so here goes:

Mythotopia is an area control grand strategy war game, with a deckbuilding mechanism, similar to A Few Acres of Snow. It draws together aspects from A Study in Emerald as well - combat takes place over multiple turns and is only resolved when one side has a clear advantage. Capturing a province adds its card to your deck. There is also a market of cards that add powers to you deck, and there are game changing cards and victory conditions that don't necessarily come out each time (i.e. that add a new element to the board, or alter mechanisms significantly).

Where it becomes clear that Wallace's experimentation with deckbuilding seems to really bearing fruit is through three key mechanisms:
1. Improvements (cards bought at market) generally slow down your deck, contributing no resource themselves but grant significant power - for example, 'benefits' are very powerful cards - 'Water Wheel' doubles the resources yielded by a single card, but itself takes up valuable hand space. Other improvements might break ties or end wars, but again, have no other value.
2. Each province yields one of four specific resources, so you need to be judicious about what you fight over and add to your deck.
3. Every player can reserve cards (more by building cities) ala Dominion: Seaside - sacrificing a turn now to yield a specific outcome later and mitigating bad luck with card draws
4. Deck thinning is a key mechanism that all players can do - as an action, trash one or two cards from your hand. This is probably one of the most critical discoveries Wallace has made.

As a result the game plays intuitively and smoothly. The thematic elements are undercooked and the art generic as hell, but it surrounds a core that is a very good game indeed.

A guy at my gaming group got it over Christmas and has been trying to push for it to be played, I may take him up on it on Wednesday unless I get people for Dungeon Petz

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Sloober posted:

I don't even think it's the same dimension.

Na he's certainly at least in the same Dimension as Jedit.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

silvergoose posted:

There are so many yarn shops like this. Just saying.

Hobbyists and hobby shop owners are all the same the world over. There was a few years ago a knitting store next door to an RPG store in my home town and they were aside from stock practically identical; overweight store keeper squatting amongst disordered piles of merchandise.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Yet hes also getting the one game that makes that false

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Poison Mushroom posted:

I guess the point I'm driving at is that I don't trust SU&SD to review beyond the scope of their own personal tastes any more.

Good look finding worthwhile reviews on anything if that's your sticking point.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Good news for all you colonials and rebels the Dungeon lords container has finished being taken apart and your almost going to get the games domestically shipped!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jesus Its worse that I thought.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Funso Banjo posted:

How much better are the components? The game appears to be about 50% more expensive here in the UK than just buying the game plus expansion. I don't think I give a crap about a better box, but could be persuaded if playing pieces are brilliant.

Metal coins, plastic boxes to store things in glass markers, miniatures for trolls instead of cardboard tokens

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Speaking of the metal coins I used than when I finally managed to get dungeon petz to the table last night, when down incredibly well, everyone loved the look, and descriptions of the pets. Played it with a guy who hadn't play much in the way of heavier games before, though he had watched Rahdo's video of it before hand so he picked up the rules quickly enough.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I managed to get it from board game guru back in November.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ashez2ashes posted:

So is Dead of Winter a good game or have I been dazzled by Tabletop once again? lol The fact that I'm going to wait until the game is back to a reasonable price again notwithstanding.

No it v bad.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mega64 posted:

Is Dungeon Petz something I should buy right now if it's in stock in CSI, or can I afford to wait for other games I really want first? I heard talk it's kinda hard to find at this point.

Also, looks like Dominion Adventures has a release date of April 8 according to Rio Grande's site.

Yes get it get it now.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tekopo posted:

I have never seen such a bad loving rhyme,
In some circles it would be considered a crime,
I wish you would stop,
Or I'll get in a strop,
This is one wound that won't heal with time.

Edit: eye/symmetry don't rhyme and neither do fucks/rulebooks (unless that was the intention) :psyduck:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tyger
Jedit has no excuse.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

esquilax posted:

shorthand

Theirs your problem never use shorthand arround goons.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Lord Frisk posted:

Archipelago is surprisingly good and probably the only semi-coop in existence. Its the game Dead of Winter wishes it could ever be.

Yeah I need to get that and Dominant species but I generally play board games in a cafe* with smallish tables which if we use three can just about fit Kemet.

*Not a board game cafe per se just a cafe that has a board game group meeting one evening a week sandwiched between nights of TCG play.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bottom Liner posted:

At this rate I doubt I'll ever even get the damned thing. I'm curious about your harsh thoughts about the game, as every early review I've read has been positive and even said it is better in every way.

Its Jedit take any opinion with a ton of salt.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

goodness posted:

You make yourself "unlucky" by believing bad things will happen more and having a pessimistic attitude. If you are optimistic, you will make good things happen just by having a good attitude.

If you can just walk on it your broken leg will be healed.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I'm pretty sure it's been out for a good few months now

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

JoshTheStampede posted:

Ok so the answer is no, you do not realize how condescending it sounds, glad to clear that up.

You're a loving idiot.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
For things like the cages and pet buying as well as the meat tent teach the theme to help retention.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ravendas posted:

Surprised to see Eclipse, Mage Knight and Terra Mystica only having 500-1500 votes apparently?

Na its just a list of games with 8+ ratings sorted by number of votes.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Played Homesteaders tonight not a bad game. Managed to win by a comfortable margin but until the last turn I never felt like I was walking away with it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Fat Samurai posted:

Tzeentch finally clicked for me in Chaos in the Old World yesterday. I can do OK with the other three gods, but I was unable to get my head around the magic guy.

Being a dick, running away with my cultists while taking my toys with me, always having PPs and having 2-3 moves to play with after everyone was empty was great. I'm usually the kind of guy who feels bad when I'm antagonizing other people in games, but this time I positively gloated.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
That doesn't change the fact that it was designed is marketed and generally considered an RPG

And AH Tales BatHoth etc. have Stats and Skill checks and they are most definitely not RPGs.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bottom Liner posted:

To be fair, I think Ascension is better than Star Realms, but it's paper edition is expensive as hell and Star Realms was only $10 for the full set, can't beat that. It's also a bit simpler and has co-op and solo challenges, which is ideal for us.
That's pretty much damning with faint praise.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I will be going to a different game group tomorrow they tend to skew a bit lighter and more 'tabletopy' than my regular group but there's more of them so maybe I can get a 5 player game of kemet going.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

OtspIII posted:

Do people have any other suggestions for good games where you actively make a bunch of strategic decisions and then basically sit back and see how well what you did fares against the bullshit the game throws at it? It seems like a really hard thing to make fun, but Galaxy Trucker and Space Alert both manage to nail that transition super well.

Well pretty much every worker placement with separate planning and resolution phases are basically this.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Yeah ain't that the truth. I play a game of Kemet last night with 3 new players and one guy who is famed locally for his AP, but Kemet is basically his favorite game so I wouldn't be too bad right.

It took 4 hours. ( with rules explanation set up and tear down)

It turns out that one of the new players is nearly as bad plus doesn't pay attention to the rules and then lectures everyone on how they can't do that because for example moving a troop into your city when you have a creature in reserve doesn't automatically attach that creature onto the troop. Of course he goers for the white tiles that give him more DI cards so he has more stuff to get AP about :commissar:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

PubicMice posted:

why do you care so much about what i do or don't like?

Because your an rear end in a top hat.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Funso Banjo posted:

You deserve Munchkin, Broken.

You really really do.

In a perfect world, you'd never have the time required to poo poo on anyone else, because you'd be stuck in an infinite loop of Munchkin. There'd be a table next to yours, and it would have Dominion set up on it. But through divine intervention you would never be able to stop playing Munchkin. Just steal occasional glances at the Dominion game nearby.

Funso Banjo posted:

I don't think you're making GBS threads on me, or out to get me, Broken Loose. Not at all, we haven't argued in a long time.

But this immediate jump to call me part of the ignorance that is the internet just because I suggest you deserve a game by Steve Jackson, just reinforces that you really need to be in that infinite loop and unable to get unreasonably angry at people.

Seriously gently caress off.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

PubicMice posted:

not that anyone cares, but i'm not interested in kingdom death because the skimpy anime women or whatever, but because it seems like the closest thing to a souls board game out there,

:fuckoff:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

PubicMice posted:

i'm sorry that reading is so difficult

Just die already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

PubicMice posted:

apparently it comes as a great shock to the people in this thread that different people have different reasons for playing the same game. neat!

Just stop posting no posts of yours have ever been worth reading.