Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Getting started on White definitely turns you into a currency powerhouse almost instantly, you just need to know how to use it effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Madmarker posted:

Yeah, you really don't want to ONLY have tiles of 1 color. If for no reason other than you only get 1 buy per turn per color. So if you diversify you gain access to more tiles throughout the game, helping throw the game's balance in your favor. Of course there are exceptions, such as the first turn Hand of God, 2nd turn Divine Will, which will give you more actions throughout the game.

That being said, I don't think that strategy is actually advisable as you forsake quite a few low-level purchases and easy temple victory/prayer points which could have been grabbed by being more proactive in the early game.

HOWEVER, making it look like you're rushing for Divine Will, which causes everyone else to go for it before you, can be a good misdirect.

I love Kemet.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Trastion posted:

I just got Viticulture and Tuscany also and am liking it so far. Our next game we are adding the first of the expansion stuff so I am looking forward to see how the game changes as we add stuff.

If you are buying the game do yourself a favor and get the Metal Lira Coins that they offer. They are so worth it. Something so simple adds so much to the experience.

I got this just before Christmas, so I've been playing it a lot. The base game is good but I immediately saw how certain aspects of it could be frustrating, so we've been burning through Tuscany, which has really improved it a lot.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

Question for those who've played Viticulture: is there any maintenance cost for workers or anything like that? AKA if I have the 4 Lira every turn is there any reason not to keep hiring more workers?

I find that I can get a workable engine going at 4, and at 5 I don't need any more workers unless I absolutely need to, since hiring someone is one less action available to push out a wine order. You do stop at 6, since there aren't any more available to train.

If you got Tuscany, it addresses the massive pile of money you will inevitably end up with at the end, but I've also played a few sessions where people have moved ahead really quickly to the point where spending an action to buy a worker will put me behind.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

KiloVictorDongs posted:

Kemet or Cyclades? I'm leaning toward Cyclades, because I don't have any games with auction mechanics currently and my friends tend to not be too aggressive (they usually apologize when attacking another player in Risk), but is Kemet so great a game that it can make lions out of lambs?

The aggressive player will almost always win out over the defensive player in Kemet (unless they took the VP for Defense win power.) If people have a problem with that style of play, Kemet isn't for them.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

Does anyone know if Charterstone is selling well? This thread has definitely steered me away from it mostly, even though there's a dented copy that's tempting me mostly on the SM brand and Jedit saying he's having an alright time with it.

But goddam, how do they have a bad rule book? Viti and Scythe were pretty good imo

I dunno what it is about this particular game. I am really enjoying Charterstone now that me and my partner have a few games under our belt, but the rules written when you first open the box are not really that clear, and the new rules you place as you unlock things are similarly not always as clear as you want them. Sometimes I think it's just me but when I search for the rule clarification I find that many people had the same issue. It may have just been a not so helpful batch of play testers or something.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That reminds me of the other biggest issue with the game (though this is common with legacy games): the first two games you play involve a LOT of pausing while you unlock a crucial rule or something that needs explaining. Not so bad with only two players but I can see juggling that with a player count of 4 becoming aggravating.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Found Azul in stock on a Canadian website for it's normal price. That was exciting.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Krazyface posted:

Tried out the airships expansion for Scythe. First experience was kind of limp. We had the fast airships that can control territory, and work as retreat points, and also can bombard to reduce enemy combat strength before battle. I'm not sure if either one was ever used. It was kind of a lopsided game, with the Crimeans exploding out early, and there was hardly any combat anyways. Didn't use the alt victory conditions, as we had a pair of first-timers. We should probably just pick airship abilities that sound interesting, instead of drawing randomly.

How many were you playing with? I find that game really needs 4 or 5 to box everyone in.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Azul is interesting in that regard. I find that the 4 player game becomes a lot less cuthroat and strategic, since it's hard to plan your next move with three other people going ahead of you. With two, the game can be really vicious since you can actually plan really far ahead. Three is a good number for the game as well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It sounds like Scopa.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

M a x posted:

At $10 for a deck the barrier to entry is so low I'll probably give Keyforge a shot even though yeah I already have 1v1 games with prebuilt decks to fill that niche.

I wonder what people who go in deep will end up doing with their lesser used decks as they accumulate.

Yeah I'm planning on picking up a deck and bringing stuff with me to use as components at Pax U since it's so cheap. May as well try it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Fox in the forest is also good.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

M a x posted:

Aynone have any experience with Time Barons? A cheap 2 player game codeveloped by the guy who made Spelunky sounds up my alley but Im not sure Ive ever heard anyone talk about it.

I freak out whenever I see you post.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Just got Venus Next and only just now became aware of the printing error on the North American cards that makes them smaller than the base game's cards. Unfortunate.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Picked up Railroad ink at paxu. It is extremely good.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I saw the same thing, and was completely confused by it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Those odds shift as the game goes on, since you don't refill the bag until you need to. It's happened to us once near round 4.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You're removing one tile at a time which decreases the odds that the next tile you select will be the same, so it would be 20% x 19.2% x 18.4% x 17.5%, which gives you .123648% that the first factory floor has all four of the same color. I think, I may be completely wrong.

Max fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 6, 2018

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sprawlopolis

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Azul is a+ and is quite teachable for families, and I can honestly say I will never tire of playing it, though the new version of Azul is also really good.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm intrigued by the need for two copies of Root

Edit: I'm an idiot, you have Riverfolk.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

silvergoose posted:

I found the role playing to work fine while trying to win, it was more "seeing what happens to this character you created" rather than "get into their head and become that person" but the former's more my style anyway.

The game is interesting because you aren't just roleplaying a character and never changing, you are roleplaying someone in an actual relationship. You can play suboptimally if you want to go for the goal of breaking up with the other person, or you can change over time as you try to understand your partner better and work towards making the relationship work. That still falls within the roleplaying aspect while also trying to eek out a win for the both of you.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Watergate is turning into my favorite lite crunchy 2p.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I have not played 13 days so I couldn’t say.

Also my family has been playing a poo poo load of Modern Art and I think I’m just going to use this in groups of 5 since it’s easy to grasp and keeps everyone engaged the whole time.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

So the next in the Iron Rails series, Ride the Rails, is coming out soon, so I wanted to scope it out on BGG and see what the hype was. I saw that the designer was a guy named Harry Wu, but looking at BGG, it looks like it's a white dude named John Bohrer calling himself Harry Wu? What the gently caress?

Yeah someone asked Capstone that instant the announcement hit twitter.

https://twitter.com/Capstone_Games/status/1212736800382423043?s=20

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Got FCM base game for the holidays, and have been playing it 2 player a bunch. I love it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

M a x posted:

Good news its coming to the US this year. Source

I'm lolling at your username, nothing more.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I like to label games that someone is new to as learning games and make pointing out things for them part of the experience. Everyone is usually OK with that, and I tend to only speak up anyway when they are about to make a very bad move for themselves or may have missed something important because they haven't internalized the mechanics yet.

As much as I'm over Terraforming Mars, I do like that it has a mechanic for new players that mixes with experienced players at the beginning. I sort of wish more games would include that in their design.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They've said it was in the contract haven't they?

Yes they claimed they had to due to the contract they signed.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Going to try Sekigahara later this week. Any common mistakes for that game?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Don’t be aggressive unless you know you can win or your opponent will believe the bluff. A single battle can swing the game if you invest to much. Make sure you understand recruiting and placement of new blocks.

Selecta84 posted:

Remember to draw cards after a battle. 1 for every card played and 1 for every 2 blocks lost. We forgot at first and wondered why we couldn't really do anything. Could also be useful when you initiate a small fight to maybe draw the needed cards for a more important battle later on in the same turn.

Movement points are calculated at activation, so dropping pieces of along the way and making a stack smaller doesn't increase your movement. But moving fewer blocks from a stack at the beginning can increase movement. I think you can also split a stack and have them move along different routes. And remember that no route can be used twice in the same turn.

I think that were things we didn't play correct but the rest is pretty straight forward.

All good points! I feel like I have an OK grasp on those things, the only thing that seems elusive to me is when pieces move into castles, but I'll probably understand that better once we play it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Selecta84 posted:

I think it's just when there would be a battle at a castle location the defender can choose to stay in the castle, forcing a siege, when he has 2 or less blocks. If he has more then the battle must be fought outside.

And retreating pieces can go over the castle limit for just that turn?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I guess this is the part that is tripping me up, from 8.8.5

"It is possible for a retreating force to join a besieged force inside a castle and exceed, until the next time combat is declared, the stacking limit of the castle (see 8.9.6)."

If I'm reading that right, the only time it can be exceeded is if they retreat into another pending siege?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Selecta84 posted:

Seems right. If the battle at a castle has already been finished no more battles are declared at that location. So blocks retreating into that location join the besieged blocks, exceeding the stacking limit. As soon as another battle is declared at that spot, the blocks must fight outside cause more then 2 blocks are present.

Excellent, that helps. Thanks again!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Played two games of Sekigahara this weekend, once as Tokugawa and once as Ishida. Won both games. In both cases, the person I was playing against overextended themselves late in the game when securing their position at castles and resource locations would secured their win, probably. I really like it, and will be trying to bring it out more when we have time for a longer two player night.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If I wanted to get into the COIN series from GMT, what would be a good introductory game to start with. Fire in the lake looks good but is apparently very complex. Liberty or Death looks pretty good, but I am overwhelmed by how many have been made at this point.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I've actually just been reading about Colonial Twilight now that I've done a bigger deep dive. While I can sometimes get a group together of 3-4 people, it's more realistic to expect two player, so that may be more up my alley. Cool, thanks!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Colonial Twilight (ie the 2P one) is the only COIN I've played but I enjoyed it greatly and can't wait to play it again. Definitely felt accessible for someone not familiar with the series.

Great to hear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

I have yet to play Blood Rage and I have been hearing about it for years. How is it holding up? I've got Rising Sun and it seems to be the Caverna to its Agricola at this stage.

Got to play Watergate recently too and I played Nixon and my GF played the journalists. I think she did pretty well but I ended up not having too much trouble winning. It's my friend's copy and he says he's never seen the journo win and apparently it's really really tough for them to do so. I guess you have to be ruthless with momentum grabbing and just hope that you gradually get enough clues to your side that you can start making Nixon burn cards on staunching the bleeding on the main board versus just brute forcing it via a momentum win.

I’ve won with journalist a few times. You need to be actively killing conspirators and threatening Nixon with evidence constantly, since one good turn can win the game.