Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Remember when this behavior was announced at the Lollipop preview and everyone was like Oh yes! This is going to be great! and I was skeptical and then it came out and the end result was that you have a billion tabs open and completely lost in a sea of every app you've ever used so you can never find the one you want and no idea what's even on those tabs because some came from links and some came from other tabs and you never close any of them?

I'm just saying I was right, and it's an awful idea executed poorly.

My first thought was "this worked ok on the Pre" but that's because you never had more than a half dozen cards open anyway. With literally every app on the phone in the "recents" stack, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm getting a hilarious amount of home screen redraws on my N5 running 5.01. Also constantly losing Google Play Music, Pandora and Netflix in the background. Get your poo poo together, Google! :argh:

Pee pee doo doo it is a bad operating system.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've had almost no issues with 5.0.1 on my '13 N7, except for last night when the video bug appeared again. Restart fixed it. Only time it happened since I flashed 5.0.1 whenever it was available on the Factory Images page.

The N5 on the other hand can't get a solid update soon enough.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Samsung ditched microSDs for the S6, and Sandisk just announced a 200 GB microSD card.

How the gently caress was Rosy Palms there the best hand model choice?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like 5.1 has a bug with Chromecast that won't let you set it up if you must.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/2yno9h/chromecast_has_an_issue_in_android_51/

For gently caress's sake.

In other news, I had three sudden restarts today! First time my N5 has ever done that. Awesome. Maybe its a subtle way of it telling me to get the gently caress off 5.0.2 already?

First time was really odd, I was trying to swipe away a card in Now and it would redraw the launcher at the home page each time I tried. Restarted after the 2nd or 3rd attempt.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

Pretty sure they never released 5.0.2 for the N5, so you can't blame the goog for that if you have a hack job.

5.1 is working well for me so far, now 30ish hours in. No redraws, system memory is sticking at around 400MB, Bluetooth works fine.

Can't be sure about battery just yet.

I was dumb, it is on 5.0.1, flashed the factory image. And it restarted again the first time I tried to reply to this with Awful. :suicide:

I'll be flashing 5.1 tonight, and if it doesn't work out over the next week, back to 4.4.4.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
There honestly shouldn't be any reason that the glass is part of the function of the charger. The coil underneath is the actual interface. I'd put some packing tape over it to avoid cutting yourself, and give it a shot.

For a better looking DIY fix, find some thin acrylic or other clear plastic and cut it to the shape of the glass, and replace the glass with it. Then you get to look at the guts!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Any idea what is causing this or how to stop it? This screenshot is obviously from Link Bubble, but it happens in Steam as well, and other browsers (can't recall if Chrome has done it or not). This happens on both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7, which throws me for a loop by the text of the error, because the N7's network pretty much never changes. If I reload, it loads the link fine. This has been happening for a few months at least. Both are on 5.1.1 now, though this was going on from 5.0.1 or so at least. I see it something like 3-4 times a week on the phone.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Any good suggestions for a 3x or 4x USB port wall charger that will reliably output at bare minimum 1.5A if not 2A over all ports to Android devices? I just bought a generic one that was an Amazon daily deal earlier this week, and 3 of the 4 ports are for Apple devices and only give my N5 USB spec power. Would use it with a a couple N5s, an N7 and occasionally a Pebble (negligible, needs like 0.1A to charge).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Require More Fire posted:

Some new photos of the 2015 Nexus 5; the camera hump doesn't seem that bad, I guess.

http://goo.gl/KDvz2M

I can live with it, for USB-C and a headphone jack on the bottom. Everything else is just icing. Debating how long until my wife's janky N5 will hold out before I'm buying one of these new ones. Mine is doing ok, but I'll feel the itch eventually.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Assuming the same screen size, the chin's about the same height, relax. Just less rounded over.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Have any review sites had the 6P long enough to comment on regular battery life?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Tried that and clearing the data, neither worked. Guess I'll just download another browser when I get home. Any suggestions? How are Firefox and Opera for mobile?

If you just got it, maybe try a factory reset? That's obviously not normal behavior.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is a Moto G still a good choice for a very low budget, fairly functional device for someone that uses a minimum of non-stock apps?

Need to replace a bad-power-button N5 for my boss for as little as reasonably possible. Needs to work on Sprint.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Require More Fire posted:

Can someone explain Google's 2FA to me?

Like, I get 2FA. I use it on Steam, I use it with Mint.com, and it makes sense. When I log in from an unknown PC/browser, I get a code emailed to me. I enter that in, and then I can sign in from that device normally from now on.

But with Google there's all this talk of multiple codes for each Google service and it's got to go to an app and there's codes to scan and ahhhhhhh. Is there a way to just get one code emailed to me once for all Google services per-device?

I've got one 2FA code for my Google account, full stop. Where are you seeing multiple codes mentioned?

e; For cases, I use this case on my 6P - I had a similar one for my N5 and its so thin it barely adds anything to the bulk of the phone, and it doesn't cover the buttons. Not much shock protection at all, really just some protection against scuffing the phone setting it down. Also generally a little bit cheaper than most of the TPU cases.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 27, 2016

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

How quick do you think phone development times are?

Look man, just punch some numbers into the phonecabulator and get that poo poo onto the assembly line already!!!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Google Play Movies question: when I rent an HD movie on my 6P, it tells me that "this movie will play in SD on this device. You can watch this in HD on a compatible device like a Chromecast or most Android devices." What gives? I watch most of them on my TV via Chromecast anyway, but still.

Not 100% sure it happens with all rentals (I only rent when my Rewards balance allows), but it happened last night with The Hateful 8.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Are you running N?

Nope, 100% bone stock. Never even rooted. Up to date to March 1st.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The Photos app on my wife's Nexus 5X doesn't see/display device folders beyond a couple exceptions (like Instagram and one other), and even those exceptions don't show current photos. What else can I do beyond clearing the app data to try and get everything to show up? Screenshots, downloaded photos, and several other photo generating apps just don't show up for her in Photos>Device Folders. All of that shows up for me on my 6P just fine. Hoping to avoid a factory reset, but if that's the only other suggestion so be it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Rusty! posted:

Has Photos had it's storage permissions denied?

Preeeetty sure I checked this and the toggle for Storage was on in Permissions, but I'll look once more when we're home tonight.

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

.nomedia file in the folder??

I did not look for this, though that would be odd if apps on her phone added those and mine didn't. We essentially use the same setup/apps besides the hardware difference. I'll look tonight.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

.nomedia file in the folder??

Just an update, there was a .nomedia file in the root of the storage directory for some reason. I don't have one on my phone, so I dunno what put it there for her. Anyway, it seems that that was keeping Photos from seeing anything except for a couple exceptions: Instagram, Screenshots and Beam. Nothing else was showing up before, and now new stuff added does show up. Older photos that are still in those directories are still MIA though. Good enough, I guess. :psyduck:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The 6P has kept up with everything I've thrown at it over the last 6 months.

Unless it gets warm, then it's throttle city. Anyone else's have this problem?

E; for instance, one time I was trying to take several photos of a process someone else was doing. It got so bad the shutter button wasn't available for about 10-15 seconds after each shot. That particular manifestation only happened once, but good god.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 16, 2016

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I hope Netflix decides to add multi window support soon. Tried it out with YouTube and Play Video, and it's exactly what I want from the feature. :pray:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Is there any real technical reason why it has to be supported? Why can't the phone just tell the app half the screen is all the screen?

For this use case anyway, the app needs to know that it is in a specialized situation where it shouldn't force landscape orientation.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Lithium? WTF? Or was that sarcasm, in which case, yeah, I totally fell for it.

Water or soda is recommended for in-flight Li-Ion fires. There's not much raw elemental lithium in batteries.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Thanks!

Besides having to deal with finding the right cable, how is USB C working out for everyone? Have people had them long enough to know if they get loose over time like USB micro?

Welp, I just wrote up a long bitchy post about how my 6P barely holds onto any of the 5 or 6 cables I've got, when I decided to actually pick at the port on the phone instead of just using canned air. I pulled a disturbing amount of very compacted pocket lint out of the port, revealing the grounding (?) pins at the bottom and allowing the cable to be inserted about a millimeter deeper. Much better now. :gonk:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

My day with a nexus 5 means I really want a phone that size again :sigh:

I took out my wife's old Nexus S to use as an IP camera and... drat. Feels about perfect in the hand. Unusable with how slow it is, even with a clean Android install, though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

If the fingerprint sensor's on the back, what's blurred on the bottom front?

I can just make it out...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

Is there a way to disable Guest accounts on a Lollipop tablet (or Marshmallow for that matter) without rooting? It seems remarkably stupid that if someone walks away with a tablet I can't lock them out from using it, so I feel like I must be missing something. Android Device Manager also doesn't work when the guest account is logged in, which also seems really really dumb. Please tell me I'm just missing a setting somewhere.

In Marshmallow on my old N5, there's a checkbox in the overflow menu on the Users settings page for "add users when the device is locked" that makes it so you can't get into the guest account if it hasn't been set up/used before, and the device is locked with PIN/pattern/etc. If it has been used, there should be a notification when you switch to it to delete all guest data. That's the best I can find.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

spincube posted:

So now that the 'Google don't control the hardware' plank has been knocked out from underneath them, I presume Google can now bin their policy of rolling updates and update each and every Pixel phone in one fell swoop? ...like Apple can.

I would think the two models having essentially the same hardware would be a huge plus in regards to this, more than anything.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

If it is anything like the 6p then it also probably shows notifications and time on the screen when you pick it up from your deck or pocket. The notifications are in greyscale and don't seem to impact the battery much.

Thank you, for whatever reason reading this was the final impetus I needed to turn active display off on my 6P. It has never been that useful to me, and it drives me nuts that whenever I pick the phone up I either have to hit the power button twice to turn the screen completely off before putting it in my pocket, or I have to wait for the active display to turn off again. If I don't make sure the screen is 100% off, it is pretty much guaranteed to start doing poo poo when it touches my leg through my pocket.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'd love to hear a little more about it as well. On paper the Axon 7 is more appealing than my 6P right now, and I can get it with no interest financing for 12 months through Best Buy.

Only thing the OP3 has over it is the headphone jack on the bottom. Why don't more manufacturers do this?

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 7, 2016

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Axon 7 owners/general Android camera question maybe?

Is the "okay" camera/photos on the Axon 7 a symptom of the default camera app, and maybe improved by using a different app? Or is it simply a function of the hardware or underlying firmware?

I'm already seeing some degradation in performance in my 6P after a factory reset this past weekend, and I'm held up on the Axon by that one bullet point.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

El Mido posted:

Yeah I've resigned to not relying on the auto mode in anything but sunny conditions. In dimly lit scenes HDR can tend to overexpose/blow out the image unnaturally (which is nice for making a legible photo but not as nice for accuracy) and if you turn it off Night mode engages and it's pretty much useless if you don't have the world's steadiest hands.

Luckily the stock camera app's manual mode is quite robust so getting okay pictures in low-light is possible if you're willing to futz around with settings. Not exactly ideal, but you're not completely up the creek without a paddle.

This is good to hear. I wish the two at Best Buy near me worked, maybe they've just got dead batteries. Pretty sure they're not just appearance models, anyway.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

Trying to choose between a OnePlus3, Pixel, and an Axon 7. Mostly use my phone for texting, listening to podcasts during my commute, getting directions and some social media apps. I mostly want good battery life, followed closely by reliability/updates. I don't think I've ever had my Nexus 5 last a whole day unless I barely turned it on at all but I love that I can still use it just fine three years after I bought it. I'd be willing to pay the extra cost of a Pixel if it means I can use it for three years. Rarely play games except for non taxing stuff like Pixel Dungeon or Hoplite. Very rarely watch videos.

I also hate branding on the front of a phone and glossy cases so I ruled out the Honor 8.

I mean, the Pixel is the obvious #1 choice here if you can afford it. It is the newest, and will most certainly get updates the longest of the three. Past that, I would personally go with the Axon over the OP3 from just what I've read, and having handled the Axon. Debating replacing my 6P with an Axon, but the camera quality is giving me pause and the display models at my local Best Buy weren't charged when I stopped in.

Battery life is a myth, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed a battery pack/good wall charger (they'll probably all do a day comfortably with your use case).

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 17, 2016

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
q!=e

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
So I'm about a month outside of the warranty on my newly-bootlooping Nexus 5X (my wife's actually, making this even more awesome). What are the chances LG or Google will make us whole? Purchased through the Google store.

VV Yeah, I've started the process, just curious if anyone has been in the same situation already.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 31, 2016

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, at least he's under warranty for a while yet

(I'm getting a replacement which will go on Swappa immediately)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Can you add your car's bluetooth as a trusted device to keep the phone unlocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

amenenema posted:

Hey so anyone here dealing the the 5x bootloop issue? I've been fighting with Google and LG on this for weeks (phone currently in LG's hands in a repair facility). Check out this post about someone saying that Google is now telling people that the some 5x devices may have been sent a Pixel software update and that's what bricked them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/5l66de/bootloop_megathread_20/dc23rub/

Unbelievable.

I just dealt with it (wife's 5X, started bootlooping during use last Saturday), but with an out of warranty 5X purchased from the Google store. Got a replacement shipped with zero effort on my part. Still going to sell the replacement (bought an Axon 7 since she was starting a new job right after the holiday and needed something, and I could pick it up at Best Buy in an hour), but if it really is because of a bad software update... goddamn.