Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Grabbed it after seeing Tietuesday and Slowbeef stream it a bunch. What a loving great game, love that music. I just wish that I didn't have to go back to the main menu to change my character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sade posted:

This game is a blast - often literally. I can't figure out, though - is co-op implemented yet? If not, any idea when it will be?

Offline only with one player on a controller and the other on mouse and keyboard. No idea about any other specifics or if there are any plans for online though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I really like Yung Venuz because of the airhorn.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Butts are Important

E: I finally unlocked Horror. Horror is rad, I like it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Nalesh posted:

drat americans and your unique units :v:

Seriously though, how do you use Horror, I'm a greedy bastard that doesn't want to use xp as a weapon.

As a Canadian this post triggered me.

I've mostly been using the xp gun as a boss/high level enemy killer but it seems like a special that would be more effective late game. I guess the thing with Horror is that it doesn't need to level as often as other characters since the extra mutation means you'll have less "superfluous" mutations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I wonder how Strong Spirit works with Melting

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sdoots posted:

Holy poo poo I love Rebel so much. He (she?) owns bones.

I'm able to fairly consistently get to the Scrapyard now, but then I'll get killed by one of the enormous explosions, or I'll be out of ammo for everything and the path forward is blocked by a car and I have to blow it up with my melee weapon, which kills me instantly.

If I can have my way I like to roll with the crossbow or another bolt weapon as a secondary because holy poo poo those gently caress things up, and I'll use an automatic as my other weapon. Throne Butt gets picked asap, as does Rhino Skin so I can pop out clones without as much hesitation. Boiling Veins seems like it's something you should always take, too.

Rebel is a lady and yes, Boiling Veins is very good if you keep being killed by cars.

Strong Spirit is a really handy mutation, especially if you're A Bad, like me. I get the feeling that if I'm ever Not Bad then I'll stop taking it.

Hammerhead seems like one of the more situational mutations but it definitely came in handy when dodging bullets. It's utility seems tied pretty closely to the layout of the level, that's for sure.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

oddium posted:

Holy moly the upgrade that lets Chicken attack normally while in slowdown is insanely broken, unless it's not worth it on higher levels. You can deflect/destroy projectiles with the chicken sword before they're even close to being a problem

e: Oh apparently that's the objectively good character specific upgrade

Throne Butt is always a good choice, though some characters get more out of it than others.

I like the Yung Venuz Butt. Goddamn can you get a lot of burst damage with it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there any chance that this will go on sale sometime soon? Ive been on the fence for a while now.

Probably not, the devs have said that they're going to leave it full price until it leaves early access. You could probably find someone that still has their free copy from buying before new years though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FrickenMoron posted:

Okay, I had a pal who owed me some money so I got the game for free basically. Any reason this is stuck at 30 fps?

One of the devs actually mentioned it on a stream with Slowbeef. IIRC moving it to 60fps would gently caress up how fast the game plays, though they might add a joke option for it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I really really like YV and Horror. The other characters are alright but those two are the ones I consistently do best with.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Awesome! posted:

it lets you continue rolling as long as you hold the button. not sure if it does anything else

Cool bubble particle effects

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Somehow I managed to get to 7_1 with Fish of all things :psyduck:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

Is there some sort of energy meter or something, or does the chicken legitimately get infinite bullettime?

Infinite slowdown. The only real downside is that you move an attack really slowly while enemies and projectiles that are further away move at regular speed until they get close.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
http://steamcommunity.com/games/nuclearthrone/announcements/detail/128684232502244338

New update, it's pretty small. Plasma Minigun is in, YV's Butt got buffed while Plant's Butt got nerfed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Reiley posted:

I like to carry a grenade launcher specifically for blowing up flamethrower blocks. Those things are absolutely joyless when they RNG in just the wrong way, like on one half of a two-tile corridor or creating burning plaid in a fighting area. This is a great game but those flame blocks feel like such an unpleasant speedbump, like they linger too long and aren't very fun to work around.

Boiling Veins nullifies them as well as most of the damage from explosions

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I can relatively consistantly reach the ice level with Steroids (usually with the first level skip tbh) but I never survive long when the boss shows up.

Steroids is pretty fun though and his Throne Butt is really good if you have two weapons with a similar fire rate. Your guns almost become self sustaining if you're firing both at the same rime.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AnonSpore posted:

Steroids is mai husbando

I would hug and kiss Y.V.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AnonSpore posted:

I think I'm slowly getting better at this horrific game. Are there any soft/hard rules on when/for what characters you should skip chests in the hopes that you'll get a big chest later?

Each time you skip a weapon chest you have a higher chance of getting a big weapon chance. IIRC after 3 or 4 skips it's a 100% chance

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJpzxmZWrwY

I wish you could repeat seeds somehow because I really wanted to see if I could beat that level

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cryohazard posted:

You did that the stupid way and died because of it.

Yeah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Huh, the 'Kill everything before Big Dog wakes for a portal' glitch still works

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Hey, if anyone hasn't tried Double Wrench Steroids he is really strong

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Thanks Internet posted:

Is Strong Spirit not working as described? I had a run with it today where I was at full health, took a hit, went through a portal and then died from 2 3 damage bullets.

You need to heal to full for it to work again

E: It might also be glitchy ATM

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

jackofarcades posted:

I promise it'll take you a day or two to get used to spacebar.

What does "removed friction from bolts" mean? It penetrates more?

They slide out of your hands so you can't reload

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tollymain posted:

is gamma guts as bad as i think it is

Right now it's just a worse version of Sharp Teeth

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Samopsa posted:

I'd say shotgun fingers / euphoria (except on eyes) / last wish / eyes ultra mutation with the holding bullets are worse compared to gamma guts in most situations.

Shotgun fingers is pretty good actually. I really like it with the Slugger variants.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fayez Butts posted:

protip don't get crowns until you loop. First crown should be Crown of Destiny and then maybe go crown of guns or crown of blood

Actually you should always get the Crown of Explosions

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chas McGill posted:

This game...loving hell.

I've played it for 9hrs over the past week and I can't get past the ice level. Seem to have the most luck with the robot, but I'm still pretty terrible.

Are the secret levels and alternative costumes triggered by anything or are they random?

Alt skins are completely random at the moment but the devs have said they want to implement a way to unlock them.

The first secret level is a skip to the Big Dog fight in the junkyard. I'd recommend not doing it very often as it means you get further in the game with worse weapons since the quality of weapons that drop is governed by how many levels you've cleared. You can get it by opening both chests and the radiation container in 1-1 without killing any enemies and then killing the boss that spawns very quickly

The second secret level is very good as it spawns health and bumps up the difficulty by another level (meaning you get better weapons sooner). You get to it by blowing up a manhole cover in the sewers with an explosive weapon

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Count Uvula posted:

Changing areas always increases the difficulty, with the exception of the crown vaults. Also, true to the name "difficulty", it makes the levels more densely populated, so the weapon pool is larger but the palace's first two levels will be noticeably harder. It's not necessarily worth it because your chances of getting a weapon unlocked early is low.

The number of extra enemies is pretty small and being able to get a good weapon early is much more important IMO

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Fish has the best throne butt

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

nightwisher posted:

Is it me or does homing bolts function a bit differently now? They seem to track better and can twist and turn quite well.

I can't stop playing with crown of blood. I actually play better with lots of enemies and bullets on screen, I enter that zen state of being that bullet hell shooters often require. It does require building your character in different ways, and it makes some mutations so much more effective especially anything that scales with more enemies (bloodlust, rabbit's paw, racing mind etc). Bloodlust/Paw/Stomach/Spirit is a god-tier combo for almost any character in a regular game, it's a power level even further beyond in CoB mode.

AFAIK Bolt Marrow works exactly the same but now bolt weapons have those trails so you can see what sort of bullshit they get up to.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

quadrophrenic posted:

Go slow, unless you're better at going fast. Then go fast.

All mutations are good, but some are better than others. I can't think of too many times I wouldn't take a rabbit paw.

Good beginner charcters: robot, crystal, steroids. Gotta learn ammo management with steroids though.

Rabbit paw is actually great though

Lucky shot is pretty bad though, ignore it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Feenix posted:

Thanks for all the tips, guys :)

Bummer, no gamepad support yet, eh?

Press G on the main menu to switch to gamepad controls

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
YV is excellent.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Give Eyes slightly higher accuracy and night vision or something

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Eyes actually does have night vision, it's his passive. You probably didn't notice because it's a terrible passive.

I meant instead of just night vision

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Actually, dual wrench Steroids with Long Arms and Trigger Fingers turned me into a constant wall of death all the way to the labs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

IronicDongz posted:

It's a very bare-bones world that exists to facilitate a pretty fun game and not much of anything else

How can I marry my waifu, Melting, if i don't know the lore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fayez Butts posted:

No, you got killed by something else. Bandit reflections can't hurt you.

That's mirrors, IDIOT

• Locked thread