Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

You monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

nopantsjack posted:

Prince Andrew is head of the English freemasons too isn't he? Please don't tell me the pedo rings were all involving some secret society that would be extremely cliche.

That's Prince Edward

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Oberleutnant posted:

I'd say a jaffa cake, personally

Masquerading as an honest working-class biscuit but secretly a spongey class traitor?

(I can't be mad at jaffa cakes they're too nice)

E:F;B

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Oberleutnant posted:

that's what people say about the queen you bourgie sympathiser.

I'm not compelled to eat an entire packet of the queen if she's around

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TinTower posted:

Because the Tories were adamant "no, it's a British road, it's totally British, etc".

Well, that was pretty stupid of them.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

tentish klown posted:

Have we reached peak Ched Evans yet?

Na, it'll probably keep coming around until he either gets hired by a club who don't give a poo poo or reoffends.

Also, wrong forum.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

serious gaylord posted:

Oldham's sponsors threatening to leave over this are a bit rich considering they employed Lee Hughes after he got out.

Even if Lee Hughes had done the exact same thing I'd be glad they were doing better this time

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

They are. And yet some people find each of them detestable, which is my point. What you were saying is that racists should be allowed to refuse employment to foreigners and blacks and that homophobic people should be able to refuse employment to gays, because they find such people detestable. But that is not enough, and it's not enough for Evans either. If Evans is to be refused employment because of his crimes, there must be a reason beyond thinking he's a poo poo. (Which there is - he's a public face of the club and sponsors and this causes a risk of financial loss for both parties.)

I just about get what you're saying but you're not very good at saying it.

Basically the builder can gently caress off because being a convicted rapist isn't reason enough to deny him the job. A football club may have enough reason based on the whole public face of the club/community bit.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The only people keeping his name in the news are the ones signing petitions to stop any potentially interested club signing him. None of this happened when Lee Hughes was released.

This poo poo happens all the time though? Plenty of people don't think Argyle should have given Luke McCormick a job.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I don't remember there being this amount of furore for that lad when he was released, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

They gave Argyle poo poo as recently as June when they promoted him to captain.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
holy gently caress there's a lot of cunts in here today

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TinTower posted:

Let me, as a man, tell you about this crime that disproportionately affects women.

Here are the reasons why a jury was wrong to find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt of a crime that's notoriously hard to prosectue

~~faaaaaaaaarts~~

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

tentish klown posted:

c) the jury decided that she was too drunk to consent.

Yes, this is a legal definition of rape, the crime which convicted rapist Chad Evans has been convicted of.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

serious gaylord posted:

Do you have anything to contribute or are you just going to shitpost?

It's pretty fun, I get what the TRP crew see in it now

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I disagree with this completely. The reason the first guy got off was because she willingly got into a taxi with him and willingly went to his room with him, implying consent. Evans turned up later and she has no memory of it so consent can't be implied. I agree with the verdicts, is what I'm saying, even though I disagree with the thread majority on his future employment prospects.

Correct, getting into the cab willingly with the other dude introduced enough doubt to be considered reasonable.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I'm not sure the top picture could be any less flattering

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
And people wondered why LemonDrizzle got his avatar :allears:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

notaspy posted:

He may be a neo liberal shithead but he is our neo liberal shithead.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, it'll be the standard poo poo where people confuse defend a deliberately inflammatory cartoon because some dickheads used it as an excuse to try and spark WW3

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Total Meatlove posted:

I can't work out whether you think people should or shouldn't be defending the right of Charlie Hebdo writers to publish what they did.

I don't think people should be defending the right completely uncritical of the content of the work. Charlie Hebdo are racist dickbags (who celebrated the shooting of peaceful protesters in the past :ironicat:) and this is clearly not reason enough to shoot them.

My view is that people are going through defending to celebrating their right to publish inflammatory shite.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Total Meatlove posted:

Their ability to publish inflammatory shite was the result of them existing in a free society and something that should be celebrated though.

I have absolutely no intention of celebrating the publication of racist cartoons and neither should you.

They get to do it. In response, I get to call them colossal shits for doing so.

Charlie Hebdo are wrong and the gunmen are wrong (to fairly different degrees, mind). This shouldn't be hard to understand.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Man one minute they were for innocent people getting shot in the face now they're against it. Which is it, Charlie Hebdo?

I know right?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Total Meatlove posted:

You can call them colossal shits, but acting as if it's some delicious irony that this has happened is loving horrific.

I didn't say it was delicious; people have been murdered and that shouldn't be revelled in. That would make me as bad as, say, Charlie Hebdo.

notaspy posted:

There freedom of speech does not give you freedom from criticism, that is true, but it also doesn't mean you get to be shot by those you piss off

Yes this is actually what I have been saying thank you for reading closely.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

It looks like those cartoonists got what they deserved.

You know, it's a lot less effective to say this when I have literally said:

mfcrocker posted:

this is clearly not reason enough to shoot them.

E:

notaspy posted:

Are we violently agreeing?

Probably?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

I know, I know, as you said: they're both wrong. The people who drew the pictures and the gunmen who murdered a dozen people for drawing the pictures. All are guilty to some degree.

mfcrocker posted:

Charlie Hebdo are wrong and the gunmen are wrong (to fairly different degrees, mind). This shouldn't be hard to understand.

I mean, apparently you're having trouble understanding the deep nuance in this argument but it's really not that hard Flaps.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

It's like any political or religious extreme. Where the view is they are 100% right so it becomes easier to paint everyone else as the enemy and they go down the rabbit hole of well they're monsters so it's ok for me to kill them. If you talk to some crazy Zionist Jew, Jews for Jesus, Khawarij, Tea Party Born-Again Christian and such. You're not going to have a moderate Church of England bishop thinking he is right 100% of the time and everyone else is the enemy.

In before you take out half of CAMRA for not liking your next beer :v:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

So the Oldham Athletic board received death threats and one staff member was told that a relative of theirs would be raped if Ched Evans was signed by the club. Oldham caved. I think they should have signed him on principle.

I imagine this had a lot more to do with the financial hurt from losing sponsors but yeah, gently caress death/rape threats over this poo poo.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TinTower posted:

You're pretty much right. The Tories don't want either humanist marriage or mixed-sex civil partnerships because Lynton says so. The Scottish government has the right to implement them through secondary legislation, but they're still working on it.

There's been no traction on people from other jurisdictions converting their civil partnerships to marriage, either, to the chagrin of some Northern Irish couples.

I went to my first Humanist wedding on the weekend, it was lovely and made me really jealous we don't have it as a legal ceremony down here :3:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

Why can't you have a humanist wedding in England?

You can have a ceremony but it won't be legally binding; you have to have a registry office ceremony first.

I have absolutely no idea why you can't have a legally binding one. You can in Scotland and you can have a loving legally binding Scientologist wedding in England/Wales if you bloody want. It's some idiocy about humanism not being a religious body and that being the legal line on who can and can't conduct legal ceremonies.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

There's lots of paperwork to do anyway when getting married however you do it so it doesn't seem like that big a deal, certainly doesn't warrant all your foul language.

Sorry Reverend

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

They have the option of making the can smaller, which they'll take instead.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Phoon posted:

How will restricting migrant benefits create jobs how

*~free market magic~*

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

hookerbot 5000 posted:

But isn't surplus labour important to capitalism as it allows employers to keep wages low and stuff? And it must be in the best interest of the capitalist overlords that the surplus population, while obviously not enjoying being unemployed too much so they are keen to get ahead and strive, aren't actually all starving and dead when they are needed.

Everything goes out the window on the run-up to an election. Bullshit gets turned up to 11.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Saki posted:

I'm looking forward to the debates as an excuse to drink a bottle of wine and yell at my TV.

I'm looking forward to entirely ignoring the debates

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gilganixon posted:

same, I am actively looking forward to the debates passing by while I do literally anything other than watch them.

I'll probably play WoW or something.

Oberleutnant posted:

There should be a UKMT drinking game for the debates. The rule is you take a swig of whatever you're drinking every time a participant says something reprehensible or demonstrably false.

UKMT drinking game for the debates:

You are not actively drinking your drink: drink

There you go

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

awesome-express posted:

For poo poo n' giggles, let's just get Ukraine in with no pre-accession infrastructure and government reform. Dirt cheap labor and hot women are a nice bonus. Take that, Putin :coolfish:

they also knock out solid Dota players

we are quids in

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Zephro posted:

I don't agree with their objections but I hope they succeed anyway. Hinkley Point is a criminal waste, channelling vast quantities of money to EDF for decades. If the only way to get nuclear power is to guarantee companies return on equity of 20%+ for a third of a century then we should spend the money on renewables instead. At least they have a track record of getting cheaper, not more expensive, with time.

We've had our fingers up our arses for 25 years and it's to a point where we just need to give EDF what they want. We can't just run current nuclear stock indefinitely, it's already past design life

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Zephro posted:

No, we really don't. There's no reason EDF have to run the plant apart from "markets are better", and the entire creaking, under-invested, asset-sweating UK energy industry is a refutation of that idea right now. If the markets require £20+ profit for every £100 of revenue they make, I think that's a bad deal. There's no reason the government couldn't run the plant itself once EDF have built it. Given that the government have promised that you will guarantee to pay EDF at least twice the present going rate for electricity for thirty years, it's hard to see how it could end up more expensive.

Sorry, feel free to put a big asterisk with "assuming we are not going to nationalise the thing" next to my post because, let's face it, we're not.

My point is that we needed new nuclear in 19 loving 90 when the ICE started making noise about it. In The Year of Luigi 2015 we're completely hosed and cheering for Hinkley C to fall through just to spite a massive handout to EDF is massively short-sighted.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I think you should say it as you see it... we should start calling people with odious or asinine ideas Farages or possibly Gervaises.

You Cameron. You complete and total loving Gove.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Guavanaut posted:

Now then, let's not say things that we can't take back.

You bloody Pob

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Complete aside but as car chat and the horrible expense of running them has come up, is there a reason why my car insurance quotes are more expensive this year than last? Last year was £158 for the year with 5 years no claims, this year cheapest quote is £190 with 6 years no claims (no claims, no traffic crimes, everything the same except we're another year older and have another year of no claims).

No idea, mine was about half the price but I went from 2 -> 3 years no claims and I'm entering my late 20s.

How do insurance quotes work :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fat Turkey posted:

Jesus H, people are complaining that sub £200 insurance premiums are too high? I've just paid out £550 up from £400 with 4 years no claims in my late 20s in an old C3, with the only accident I've been in was completely accepted 100% fault by the other party as pulling out when they should have given way. What I'd give for sub £200 (I would give less than £350).

Yeah when I say half the price I am talking about it going down to £650 :smith:

• Locked thread