Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

That's not Elsa, it's the main character, Beth Ross, accidentally frying her hair back when she worked at the corn dog restaurant shown in this panel. The event was caught on video and went viral, which thanks to other shenanigans is how she ended up becoming president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gwenpool is basically a kid playing a video game; she doesn't care about the character's unless she has time to get to know them and they are decently written, and "badguys" are supposed to be canon fodder. She also doesn't expect any real consequences for her actions, assuming the narrative will twist to allow whatever she wants to do in the moment. She's slowly learning that is not the case.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Astribulus posted:

The second panel is in direct reference to New Mutants #64. That issue takes place immediately after the death of Doug Ramsey (Cypher, the one commenting about "The first New Mutant to die"). Warlock, being a techno-organic alien who is still getting used to life on earth, doesn't really understand how death works for humans. He's desperate to try to fix his friend, culminating in stealing Doug's body. He wears Doug around taking him to the people and places he cares about in a terrible, innocent attempt to convince Doug to come back. It's heartbreakingly tragic, and its nice that Warlock can joke about it in retrospect.

Obligatory Jay & Miles link for New Mutants #64: http://www.xplainthexmen.com/2016/01/91-the-saddest-story-ever-told/

Thanks for this. I had assumed Warlock's comment was a reference to how Bobby wore him as battle armor in the previous issues.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Superstring posted:

Do characters in-universe comment at all about how Superman died and suddenly there's a new one running around and that's kinda fishy? Or do they think it's the same guy?

The Justice Leage at least know he's a different guy from an alternate world. In fact, the Trinity comic kicked off with Batman and Wonder Woman attempting to get to know this new (from their perspective) Clark and his family better.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Batman by Tom King.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Missed opportunity not calling him Kryptzarro.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It's just like all those people online who love making edgy, racist jokes but aren't actually Nazis.... oh, wait.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

What book is this from?

The Mighty Thor: At the Gates of Valhalla one shot. Basically a buffer issue between the previous and upcoming Thor arcs, with a brief nod here to the current Avenger's story by the same writer.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Action Jacktion posted:

LoEG Tempest #4:

If hew wants people to stop contemplating his "infinity plus one", he should probably put some pants on.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Kalli posted:

Has anyone pointed him at Dr. Strange for fun? It seems like something Logan would do.

I am not reading the series, but I believe there has been at least one team up with Strange and Doom. Conan was not happy about the number of wizards not being murdered.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

Wait what? Peter Parker has a younger sister?

Yup. Something that was hinted at previously, and made official canon in that Spectacular run. Between her and the Mike Murdock retcon, Zdarsky seems to really like giving super heroes siblings.

Speaking of, didn't realize he had another Spider-Man What-If coming out next month.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Hmm. Might steal and edit this later for a new avatar, when I can spare the cash for one. Granted, I haven't done much image editing, and don't actually have access to photoshop.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Uthor posted:

Paint.net is a surprisingly powerful and simple to use program for free.

https://www.getpaint.net/

Ironically, paint.net is the program name, but paint.net is not its website.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was toying around with pixlr, and got fairly close to what I had in mind, but wasn't fully satisfied. Will try this out when I'm not at work.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Cleretic posted:

So how much of that Jimmy Olsen series about him being essentially the only guy in a light-hearted superhero comic that can recognize how horrible the things that happen are? There's some real potential here.

Surprisingly little, though he does frequently recognize how terrible his own life is.

Bucnasti posted:

Why is Negative Woman canvasing in the background?

I think that was a throwback to an earlier joke showing past disaster's "caused" by Jimmy where he's surrounded by similar googly-eyed and bandaged people. It's never explained.

Tried to post the page, but having trouble getting imgur to work.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Darthemed posted:

The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Women of Marvel 2005 (2005)

Elissimpark posted:

Well that's certainly an interesting career progression.

I believe she is also Nightcrawler's adoptive sister and most frequent romantic partner.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

She hides her identity from him when they start dating and when he finds out this woman he's been dating for a while is his adoptive sister, he's totally fine with it. Also, this isn't a Clueless/Cruel Intentions type thing where someone was adopted when they were teenagers or whatever, Nightcrawler was raised by her mother since they were both babies.

In fact, I believe that stint as a flight attendant job was part of the disguise.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

They let him wear the mask because if it became officially known that he was Matt Murdock a bunch of cases would have to be thrown out and that’s the most Daredevil thing ever

It was more because of precedent set in the MU after judges allowed vigilante witnesses to testify without revealing their identities. Though despite this being allowed, the DA insisted on seeing him without the mask, after which concerns about Matt's previous cases certainly played a roll in keeping his mouth shut.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Uthor posted:

That's a kinda continuation of the writer's two Black Cat series, right? I really need to catch up on those. Taking advantage of the nice weather is really destroying my video games and comic books time.

It is, and that writer even posts in the forums on occasion. Very good series. The mini is extending the fun "Iron Cat" concept, while further exploring Felicia's past that had been hinted at previously.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

We need a modern comic revisiting Pietro's circus obsession.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

Why would you build a DIY Celestial? It seems about a good idea as inviting Galactus around for dinner.

Druig is leading the Eternals, and to shore up his power is using mutants as a political boogie man because they technically count as Deviants (it's noted in the comics that so does a small majority of all life on planet Earth). Because the Eternals are programmed on an instinctual level to combat Excessive Deviation, he's successfully convinced most of the Eternals that Krakoa, with it's immortality and terraforming of Mars, counts. The Eternals two religious leaders, Ajax and Merkari, disagreed, and decided that the quickest way to end the conflict would be to have a Celestial come and personally tell them to cut that poo poo out, but since they can't get hold of any living Celestials, decide to revive the dead one currently being used as the Avenger's base. Granted, they'd already been considering this even before the conflict due to an ongoing crisis of faith caused by the Celstial's increased distancing from the Eternals and questioning of the Celestials motives and methods, and so had wanted to found a new religion by literally making a new God. Because Phastos, the resident science Eternal, correctly called that plan insane, they kidnapped Mr. Sinister to put the plan in action. After the Eternals attacked Krakoa, Tony Stark joins in, partly as a hail mary to prevent a never ending war between two powerful races of immortals, and partly out of (surprise) vanity.

Was this a good idea at any level? No. Is it in character for those involved and incredibly entertaining? Hell yes.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Nilbop posted:

This drove me absolutely crazy and just stunk of self-indulgent writing, which stunk because I quite like Judgment Day's whole set up of "You're all being judged by an impossible unknowable force, you can't punch your way out of this, it's down to you to be worthy."

But instead Duggan just writes ole condom head to just go up and say "Um, do you know who my wife is?" and completely castigates the main threat.

At least it's not in the main book.

He didn't castigate the main threat. He argued successfully that the people who could judge him best where his friends and family. And given those are the ones Cyclopes has hurt the most with his flaws, actually makes sense. My only nitpick is that the Celestial didn't bring up Madelyne Pryor.

I also think it's silly to assume that Gillen didn't sign off on this development.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Mulva posted:

No he just said it. It's a stupid loving argument because it means a pile of terrible people can just be terrible and it's fine, because by their individual standards it's all cool to giant robot man. So basically Purple Man is morally immaculate, but Captain America fails.

That's not judgement, that's just giving a pass to narcissists.

Given that Emma Frost, Mystique, and Destiny also all failed, I don't think it's that simple. At the very least, I don't see Mystique regretting any of her past actions or failures.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Today's comics showed more of the Judgement process in AXE, including how some of the previous judgements panned out the way they did. I won't spoil, but so far it seems Cyclops passed by calling out the Celestial's gimmick before they had the chance to deploy it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

Is her kid alive again yet

It was revealed in New Mutants that he hadn't been resurrected on Krakoa because Cerebro is still getting back-ups for him, suggesting he's still alive somewhere. I don't think that thread has been followed up on yet.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

I think this storyline has Strange magic himself up some money which ultimately almost destroys the world

Is that the one where he keeps casting increasingly bigger spells to fix the problems caused by the previous spell?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

site posted:

is that quicksilver being racist against androids

Quicksilver can't be bigoted against androids! His brother-in-law is an android! /sarcasm

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Dareon posted:

Please tell me that jar next to his bed holds his mask like a pair of dentures.

It does. You can even see a little tube of Fixodent... I mean, Fixomask.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure there's probably a silver age one out there where writers were just like "sure whatever, kids don't really know how bad x-rays can gently caress you up".

There was Red Son Bizarro, who was a failed clone of Superman by the US Government. His X-Ray vision basically cooked anyone he used it on.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Phy posted:

Do you have the one where he makes Cat Thor's head get a little bigger in every panel

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Zil posted:

Think it is a Spider-Man version of Batmite.

It's a tiny demon from Limbo who decided to take after Spider-Man after being saved by him, and subsequently buffed up by a custom made symbiote suit. Initially went by Parker-Man, but was told by his villain boss he was "getting it backwards", and so reversed Parker into Rek-Rap.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Darthemed posted:

The World of Metropolis #1 (1988)

Luthor's had another stroke, and she knows time is of the essence to get him the medical care he needs.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I think there was a comic or TV show that featured Mr. Terrific, Batman, and Lex, and it implied by the end that Mr. Terrific was smarter than both.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

site posted:

have gronbekk's issues been good so far? i've enjoyed her other stuff so i'm slightly tempted to give her thor a try

I've been digging them so far. The writing has been as strong in her Thor issues as it was in any of the Valkyrie series.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Suleman posted:

...Moondragon isn't emotionally stunted?

Not too familiar with the character, but Moondragon did recently fuse with her alternate universe counterpart, which may have helped her emotional maturity. Unless both characters where emotionally stunted, in which case I got nothing.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

site posted:

Wasn't her alt universe self like the murder Phoenix or something

All I know is the one she fused with was a more heroic version who was dating her universes Phylla-Vell. Apparently they hopped to 616 during that Infinity event where Gamora was the baddie.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Suleman posted:

Source: Marvel's Voices Infinity Comic #47

Once again, history proves Emma right.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

What’s the joke here

I think the non-sense dialogue is supposed to indicate he's whispering something to her, but her concerned expression makes it seem like he just leaned in and babbled unintelligibly at her. The abrupt laughing afterwords doesn't help that impression. I assume it makes more sense in context.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

guy just impaled his brain on his spine

Tactical donut brain.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

MikeJF posted:

It's a good go but it doesn't have the class of the 'the beer is wolverine's erection' cover.

The one where Nightcrawler is obviously naked, but it somehow got past editorial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Dokter Zee is great. See also issue Doctor Strange #4, previously shared in the Badass Panels thread.

darthbob88 posted:

WAND, Wizardry, Alchemy, and Necromancy Department. Formerly part of SHIELD, but IIRC it's independent now. The lady casting Club is Pandora Peters, the head of WAND, and she's using a baseball bat with "nails from the True Cross" hammered in. Even if the nails are fake, enough people believed to give them power against demons.

E: For further context, some demons are operating an illegal brimstone mining operation, using the ghosts of miners for labor. While Wong and Peters were scrapping with the demons, one of their colleagues was working with the miners.