Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Red Robin Hood posted:

Has anyone else already accidentally ejected their cartridge, or am I just :regd09:?

Went to plug it in and ejected it..

I did that once on my teal 3DS, I forget the exact circumstances. Fortunately I was playing a digital download and not the cart at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bombadilillo posted:

Had just enough time to boot up MM and shoot some arrows to confirm that stable 3d and gyro aiming is the best thing loving ever.

It's sooooo goooooood

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
But why there are more Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros now than Star Fox characters? I was totally unfamiliar with the series until I unlocked Marth in Melee back when.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Help Im Alive posted:

Because Fire Emblem is good and Star Fox has had like one decent game ever and refuses to die

You're not wrong. But it only makes me want a proper sequel more.

Tbh I've tried multiple times to get into the GBA FEs and never could because they weren't FFTA, so I'd just go beat FFTA again instead.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

I'm the same. I am still waiting for a new grid tactics game where I have a handful of characters that have changing jobs with large skillsets, status effects, etc., rather than FE where it's pick a weapon or spell or two to whittle down the enemy on boring battlefields.

I picked up that Devil Survivor Overclocked game not knowing much about it and it scratches that FFTA itch surprisingly well.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
So I freaking love my new3DS and all, but I'm hankerin' for a good open world sandbox game. Something in the vein of the classics, GTA, Saints Row, Just Cause, Assassin's Creed, etc. Games I spent a lot of time loading up just to crash cars and blow off steam. From googling, it looks like my options are Lego City Undercover (reportedly very mediocre) or replaying GTA: Chinatown Wars. Have I missed anything?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Space Fish posted:

Retro City Rampage is fun as hell and shame on anyone who hesitated to represent for it.

Riiiight, thanks! I had seen RCR a while ago but forgot about it. I bought it this morning and played through the intro. Looks like fun, but I really hope the driving grows on me. It feels so stiff and NESy, I know that's for verisimilitude, but it don't feel good. I haven't had more than light eye rolling at the pop culture references so far.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Is there any more to do in the 3DS Animal Crossing game than there was in the DS one? Considering buying that just as a commuter train time waster. I guess is there $30 worth of stuff to do in that game, or am I going to be sorry I bought it in a week.

Yes I know it's highly subjective.

Definitely worth it. The new mayor-mechanic means you get a lot more involved with your town, especially as you build and plant and expand. I loved the first AC, was mildly disappointed with the DS sequel, and NL is just amazing with its attention to detail and incorrigible charm.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

I'd like to get a bigger battery for my 3DSXL. Are they larger than normal batteries? I'm concerned I wouldn't be able to carry it in my pants with a larger battery.

:ohdear:

6,250 mAh. :getin:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

Are there any good New Leaf guides worth checking out as I play by my lonesome or is it frowned on to check guides like Dark Souls.

Definitely go to the thread and look at guides, some of the mechanics are absurd/esoteric/totally inscrutable.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheHouseofM posted:

Can you load movies onto the SD card? My kids have a 2DS and I want to load some kid cartoons so they can have something to watch on trips.

Caveat: I'm testing with my nu3DS. I downloaded this video converter and dropped an mp4 into it. It split it into ten minute clips and I copied those over into the DCIM/10xNIN0x folder on my microSD card. (Wherever pictures and video are being saved from the camera.) With the system back on, went into the camera, and hit view photos. Scrolled all the way to 1/1 1900, and the video clips appear there. Hit A to get one started, and hit Edit so you get a progress bar and play/pause control. Maybe not ideal, but it should work.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

It is strictly worse than Final Fantasy Tactics, which you should just play instead. Even if you've played it before.

I have bought three copies of that game. Imported one, bought a sketchy copy from eBay with no seal of approval that eventually stopped working, then finally a used copy from gamestop. Beat each one, the last one about three times. I would pay full retail if they released FFTA for VC. Why.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fooley posted:

Is there a reason there aren't any third party cradles, or is it just too new? Preferably one where it lays flat.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one. I'm going to be keeping an eye on FastTech, they add all kinds of video game peripherals you might not expect. They already have a NN3DS XL grip and stand.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ineffiable posted:

So I want to get one of the life simulation games on 3ds. Looking around, the three big ones are story of seasons, Fantasy life and rune factory 4.

Any particular reason Animal Crossing didn't make the list?

Vvvv: good reason!

Manky fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 27, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yes. I'm bad at these kinds of things and my MM3DS now has more bubbles on it than a Powerpuff Girls bed set, but I'm still pleased with the end result. Would recommend for people with patience. Re: fingerprints, it's very very effective at not showing them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm planning on going to a convention in a few months, and I'd like to pick up a title that has single-card (or single-download) multiplayer. On previous handheld systems, Bomberman has been my go-to, but I don't know if Bomberman Blitz's multiplayer functions will work on a 3DS. Anyone know? EDIT: apparently it doesn't support single-game multiplayer, so that's out. What games would work well in this regard?

noirstronaut posted:

MK7 and Mario party are probably the only decent fun ones.

Starfox 64, too.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sire Oblivion posted:

I thought Starfox required everyone to have a copy of the game.

It does not, and you get a live feed of each other's faces. It's the best.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Better graphics and frame rate, the item system on the touchscreen (compared to having the c buttons on n64 and having to pause very often), more minimalist ui for the clock, more direction and clues for the player about where to go, better quest tracking(seriously a heart piece counter showing which ones you have should be in every game), better and easier saving, gyroscopic aiming, being able to equip more than one type of arrow at once, making sure every mask has at least one use, better dungeon maps.

Lots of little things really.

You can also play the ocarina while checking your songs.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ugh. Why does Pokemon Rumble World have StreetPass achievements for free diamonds? I hate when games lock stuff behind StreetPass poo poo since I live in a farm town, and I'm too lazy to set up one of those fake StreetPass things/I'm not sure my >10 year old wifi router can even handle one.

Argue posted:

They're not exactly fake; you can configure your router to join the chain of Streetpass relays that Nintendo has set up at Nintendo Zones, so that you can get passes from around the country. It's a pain to do, though, and involves changing your SSID and MAC address.

It's way easier than that if you have a compatible PC with WiFi or Mac with a wired connection (and wireless card). Google HomePass and RelayMyHome respectively. Antivirus usually flags HomePass but it's fine, you might have to add an exception in the appropriate place.

Also it seems you can get stuff from visitors on your friend list by SpotPass. I saw the blue light yesterday and this morning when I finally checked in, I went into a level and saw a friend from IRC getting owned by some Piplup. Pretty fun.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sorry for this question but realistically what is the most likely special game themed new xl moving forward? I'm definitely getting one eventually and since I never owned a limited one I thought I would wait until I could.

Pray for a new Metroid.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I bought my og 3ds to play OoT and I will buy a Wii U in 2016 to play the New Zelda

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

5er posted:

Nintendo might be 'cheaply built plastic crap' but it's the sturdiest cheap plastic crap I've witnessed.

My first 3DS came cheap from eBay, lightly dog-chewed. There's a small patch on the bottom screen where the digitizer isn't quite right, and some obvious imprints on the select/home/start buttons, but it's been rocking along great for years, more recently as a friend's Animal Crossing machine. I've horrified myself by dropping my MM3DS onto wood floors a few times now but it continues to look and work fine. (Those skinomi full body skins are worth the trouble.)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not letting this fall to the bottom of the page.

I'm glad I picked Space Harrier up, I had never played it before and it's terrifying and amazing.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

I don't get what it is with people exaggerating the content of games to the point where if they were telling the truth, the game would be rated AO and not released. Nobody is just going to plop loving rape in their game as a side mechanic.

Somebody never bred Pokemon

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The next gen Nintendo products will all be repurposed android tablets, so no worries about the store. Or software updates!

No joke though, Android "N" is right around the corner and it'd gently caress up the competition something fierce

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

By..........being rootable and lovely like android is?

Tell me which recent Nintendo consoles haven't been exploitable with homebrew/flash carts

Now tell me which one killed Nintendo

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don't think it will kill them, but I do think getting rooted on release day will only lead to Nintendo instigating even more bullshit draconian rules than they do right now. And you can't say that flash cards didn't have an impact on the DS, again, it didn't kill them but like everyone has a flash card for DS, it had an impact.

It isn't a given that just any Android device can be rooted. It is definitely "a significant investment and barrier" to root a device the manufacturer did not intend to be rooted, and like with mods to consoles as well as phones, there's a good chance that you'll get messed up up the next time a OTA update rolls out. You don't need to do anything more draconian than the measures already in place that some apps on Android use to check for root, or the measures Nintendo takes to require up-to-date firmware and software versions.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Electric Phantasm posted:

Now Valve needs to make Half-Life 3 and Capcom needs to make Viewtiful Joe 3. What other game trilogies are missing the third game?

I wouldn't mind a third No More Heroes

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

I did that thing on the second try so maybe you're just bad? The controls aren't that good but also it's pretty easy. Even if you collide a few times you can totally win.

That minigame sucked, way too frequently I found myself on top of the half-out-of-water rings.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

I'm sorry that you don't understand what wet paper with pepper on it looks like.

Lmbo off at this guy who doesn't know there's more than one kind of paper not to mention pepper

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

You should download the youtube app because you can watch 3d videos on it and it's kinda neato

Last time I checked it was the opposite and you have to go to mobile YouTube in the new 3DS browser. The app is crummy ime.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rubicon posted:

Anyone have experience with the New 3ds and grip addons? I got Walmart to price match Kmart on the New 3ds deal and find the 3ds hurts my hands after extended play times.

My friend tried, this grip, and says it makes the button mushy and weird to hit. He's gonna let me try it out, but what do people prefer here?

I have this hard one and it's ok. Sometimes it feels more comfortable, sometimes it doesn't. The kickstand is useless. But I like those "comfort grips" less.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

There are gross and depraved comics made in America but if you said that the people who like Marvel movies like to jack it to those then you would be rightfully called crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDBM8lwVmQo

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Flynn Taggart posted:

It was worth it at 40, game owns.

It really does, and it has the best local multiplayer of any 3DS game I've played (in particular because you only need one cart copy and you can even get online with your buddy/ies).

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Evfedu posted:

I remember playing MM on the N64 and it literally depressing the poo poo out of me.

Also aren't there only three dungeons?

I barely played through it on N64 and mostly had a friend play while I watched. The constant cycle of failure was too psychologically challenging for little Manky Jr. Playing it from start to finish on 3DS made it my favorite Zelda game. There are a lot of practical improvements in playability, for one thing, regarding save points and the time travel mechanic that are much appreciated. And it looks a lot better. It can be depressing in parts but there are regular moments of humor and beauty that stand out the more for it. The music is fantastic and deserves decent headphones if possible.

There are four dungeons then sort of a weird fifth one, and the amount of time it takes to get to new areas to get to the next dungeon is on par with a dungeons-worth each of puzzles and monster-slaying. Adding in all the stuff you can do if you talk to everybody, and especially if you're going for every mask (and you better), I put something like 36 hours into MM vs. 23 in OoT.

As for Pokémon X, I got it on release and pick it up now and then but only just got eight badges. It feels incredibly bland and lazy and it actively bothers me that barely any of it is in 3D and the battles are near-unwatchable with the frame drop. (Yes MM drops frames in 3D, especially if you always wear the bunny ears and spin the camera a lot, but it would last a few seconds max.) I wish I had gotten X on cart so I could resell it. But if you're fine with a nothing-interesting-new, three-quarter-assed retread and just want a 2D Pokémon game, well, it's perfect by that standard.

e: Very much this

PantsBandit posted:

In terms of actual, meaningful content, Majora's Mask at the very least matches Ocarina. And I'd say it far surpasses it when it comes to story, characters, and variety of content.

Manky fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 5, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

zfleeman posted:

On a lark, I started a Hero Mode play-through of A Link Between Worlds, which is the greatest game ever made. First dungeon down, and I'm really frustrated. Does it ever cross the line between infuriatingly difficult and incredibly rewarding?

No.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sam Faust posted:

Sunday 7-12 pm pacific time.

That's 7AM-12PM in fact, thankfully.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Help Im Alive posted:

Luigi's Mansion multiplayer owned

Most underrated game on 3ds imo, and the mp is great.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

You aren't dropping money, though. You are saving. Also, Comcast/Xfinity uses notoriously bad equipment.

Can't :yeah: this enough, those xfinity modem/routers are crappy routers, and the only way to mitigate it is by getting better equipment. It's not hard or even that expensive, and it really does pay for itself, in both satisfaction and actual money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Asus RT-N66u is $110 on amazon right now. Not cheap but as good as it gets at the $100 price point.

That's what I've got, it's great. That Netgear N300 would also be a direct step up from the xfinity boxes. Even my ultracheapo Linksys E1000 is better, $10-20 on ebay.