Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Please don't troll

E: Exit Through The Gift Shop may be my favorite documentary of all time. The first half is an interesting examination of "street art" - aka graffiti, filmed over several years by an outsider of the scene who has more ambition than talent. The second half does something absolutely astonishing and to say any more would diminish it. Even if you have zero interest in the street art scene - I certainly didn't care about it at all - I can not recommend this documentary highly enough. The only suggestion I would make is that if you're not familiar with Banksy, do a quick read of his Wikipedia article before watching.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Elephant Man is a great, great film, though I really want to know how much work it took to keep David Lynch so restrained.

I think Lynch knows the appropriate feel for whatever film he's making; it just so happens that often those films have a surreal element to them. The Straight Story is another example of how restrained and understated he can be when the story requires that kind of treatment.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

I experienced some kind of binge-watch drought recently and, being mildly desperate, decided to re-watch Prison Break.

It's just the best loving thing ever, and very smart about being stupid. The pace is ridiculously frenetic -- there is a cliffhanger at least four times per episode -- to the point where I can't believe none of the characters die from dangerously high blood pressure. These people cannot step on a bug without it loving up their plans and putting them all in mortal danger.

If you would like to know what would happen if MacGyver had to break out of prison, this is more or less the show for you. It does dip a bit in season four, but the actors are SO good at what they do that it remains very watchable. Especially T-Bag. But not Micheal Rappaport, who delivers one of the worst recurring performances on a network series I have ever had to endure.

Seriously: William Fichtner kills it. Robert Knepper kills it. Make a commitment. Do it.

As a dissenting opinion, I found season 1 decently entertaining, and each subsequent season an order of magnitude worse than the preceding season, which means that by season 4 it may be the worst show I have ever watched.

It's also a weird throwback, in these days of 12ish episode seasons. 20-something episodes into season one and you're like, "ok already, quit loving around and start progressing the main plot"

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 6, 2015

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is before midnight good?

I think it's the least of the three but given that those are my two favorite movies, it'd be a nearly impossible standard to meet. It's still very, very good, but how much you enjoy it likely depends at least in part on how much you can relate to the characters and situation.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

its a streaming service. what you want is not streaming

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, there's an option for watching stuff without needing the internet. It's called buying it.

To be fair, Spotify is a streaming service but you can download and listen to things offline. It's not unreasonable to wonder why an equivalent option isn't available for other types of media.

efb

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Louie season 4 is the weakest one so far imo. There were definitely good moments and episodes but most of the Pamela stuff rubbed me the wrong way.

Counterpoint: it's one of my favorite seasons of television for any show ever. Up there with season 4 of The Wire and season 1 of Twin Peaks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Just got a Roku 3 and have some questions about it, posted in the Small / Stupid Questions thread in A/T but no replies. Is it kosher to ask here or is there a more appropriate thread?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Erebus posted:

Any opinions on Halt and Catch Fire? I don't think I'd heard of it until it just got added, but apparently it's an AMC drama about the early computer industry in the '80s.

It's decently good, but not as good as it thinks it is / wants to be.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

Question: Do you guys use any software to watch or track things across different sources? I have a bunch of stuff I keep losing track of. I realized today that I've only seen the first two episodes of Community, because I just never look at Yahoo Video when I'm sitting down at the TV.

I tried XBMC for a while, but it's both overcomplicated and underfunctional. Seems like there should be something simpler, that can keep track of what shows I'm watching, a queue of movies, and give me links to different sources.

You would think Roku would do this, would have a global watchlist. Only makes sense given the entire raison d'etre of that device, no? You would think it'd have that. You would be wrong.

:(

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks to whoever recommended Bloodline. It's pretty great. For anyone on the fence, I'd describe the tone as something like two parts Rectify, one part True Detective, with pacing closer to the former: very deliberate and unhurried.

Only through episode 6, hope the quality is maintained all the way through.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Watching Ender's Game on that HBO streaming service now. Good god it's horrible. Is it really all about how brilliant people are better than everyone else and don't carry any responsibility for their actors in the service of a fascist state? It's a movie literally about how awesome it is being a child soldier. I knew nothing about it going in, but it's like Starship Troopers played straight.

You should probably watch it to the end and/or read the book and/or read the sequel, Speaker For The Dead

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

SotD comes off even worse after you learn about how much of a douchebag Card is, since it's a book all about empathizing with a concept or idea outside of your worldview, which the author is apparently incapable of.

I, too, can only appreciate artistic works if the artist in question is a moral exemplar.

Turns out I hate all music and all visual arts, 99% of movies due to their actors or directors, and all but like 2 or 3 books.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Everything I've heard is that Adam Sandler had like no control over that

Exactly. How much control could a multi-millionaire whose own production company finances his movies have over his movies? It's out of his hands, is what I'm trying to say here.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

The Cobbler wasn't a Happy Madison film, it's as much an Adam Sandler movie as like Punch Drunk Love or Reign Over Me or Spanglish

E: Apparently he helped produce Reign Over Me so less than that

According to IMDb, Happy Madison coproduced.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

He was making what is commonly referred to as a joke.

See also: sarcasm

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

"I'm sure it would've been better if [Adam Sandler] had more control, lol. JUST KIDDING THIS REMARK WAS MADE WITH FULL USE OF THE SARCASTIC TONE."

If the above is hard to understand, you should seriously consider whether you are afflicted with Asperger's.

e: the above statement is NOT sarcasm.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

umbrellar posted:

Tonight's probably the night I let Taxi Driver expire from my queue unwatched for what must be its third time on-and-off Netflix. Dunno why I can never get in the mood to put it on.

E: Just gonna watch the rest of Orange is the New Black instead. Cause there's totally a time limit on that.

Like turning down a USDA Prime ribeye for a white castle

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Murgos posted:

So, could someone take a stab at enumerating some iconic double bills? Direct sequels or movies in a shared universe are probably sort of trivial examples but what about two different movies that make watching both more than the sum of the individual experience?

Failsafe and Dr. Strangelove comes immediately to mind but what are some others?

That Obscure Object of Desire / Before Sunset. A thesis on how you can never really know the heart of another person, but sometimes it's worth the effort of trying nonetheless.

For an orthogonal approach to those themes, throw a Wong Kar Wei film in between those two. 2046 or In the Mood for Love or Happy Together or Chungking Express, any of those would be a fantastic pairing.

E: Certified Copy might work even better than Before Sunset. I guess it depends on if you want similar or contrasting approaches to a theme.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 13, 2015

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

kuddles posted:

I just started watching the second season of Bojack Horseman, and I haven't gotten around to Bloodlines yet. It feels like a new "Netflix Original Series" drops every two weeks now.

Bloodlines is amazing (except for the last 10 minutes). Slow burn show that was right in my wheelhouse. Those aforementioned final 10 minutes aside, I'd give it an A+

e: Given your avatar, I feel like you'd really enjoy it as well.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

Why what happens

As vague as possible: A silly twist and obvious, strained hook for a second season.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

A while ago, someone recommended me a movie about a haunted apartment that was a better Silent Hill movie than any of the Silent Hill movies. Today I went on Netflix and tried to find out what it was. I can say for certain that it is not Apartment 1303 3D. That movie is straight up trash. I just found out it's a US remake of a Japanese movie. The main character's sister rents this apartment and immediately the horror cliches start. A creepy little girl warns her to GET OUT, and just spits out the exposition that a woman killed herself in her new apartment. The sister gets loving thrown across the room by a ghost, wakes up, looks at her sleeping pills, and decides that being tossed across an apartment by a ghost is a side effect. She even says this out loud, as she does every thought that comes into her head. The director decided that since there's like a five minute stretch where she's alone in an apartment, she should talk to herself non-stop.

I turned it off and realized it was 1408, and it was just short of incredible. It's based on a Stephen King story, and stars John Cusack and - strangely enough - Samuel L. Jackson, who is so underused his role could have been filled by almost any actor. The first half hour really sets up the dread of this apartment, and then the rest of the movie is a non-stop Silent Hill-esque ride. There's not much to the plot other than "Man goes into haunted apartment and confronts his inner demons," but it was a hell of a ride wondering what horrible thing was going to happen to him next. At one point I felt like so many evil things had happened that the movie must be over soon, only to look and see that there was still about an hour left.

I've hesitated to watch this because the short story is really fantastic and a candidate for Stephen King's best writing. Not that the prose is anything special, but the subtlety in how the room slowly but inexorably weaves its spell is handled so, so well and just based on the trailer it looked more vulgar, for lack of a better term.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Wow, I'm pretty surprised people liked the way the movie ended. All it was missing was sadtrombone.wav to make it ultimate corny. The ambiguity of the story is way better imo.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

fliptophead posted:

What I liked about it was the single set piece - they never showed outside the complex. Like was mentioned, it felt like it was meant for the stage, but for me this wasn't a bad thing.

Seemed like a time travelish remake of Shallow Grave

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Erebus posted:

Doesn't that... make sense?

Yes and no. Like it or not, English is the de facto lingua franca of the world circa 2016. All movies in any region should have English subs imo; assuming that the only people in Japan who watch Netflix are fluent in Japanese and pretending that tourists and business travellers don't exist is rather short-sighted and ethnocentric.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 13, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Watched the first couple of episodes of curb. Definitely super funny. Does it eventually stop looking like it was made with a camcorder though?

It never stops being shot handheld, but s2 onward has a bit higher production values.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

rngd in the womb posted:

Thank you!!!

Rectify is this TV show that's an extreme slow burn about what happens when a man who has been falsely accused of rape/murder and put in prison for decades comes back to a town that doesn't wholly believe him. That's an oversimplification of the plot, I guess, but if you're into slow burns or realistic stories, you should give it a go. Just a warning: it is a FRUSTRATING show. You probably won't ever be sure if you want to go all in on rooting for Daniel (the main character), and the plot twists, while powerful, are pretty likely to leave you stewing in anger.

EDIT: the cast is one of the most well-rounded casts I've seen in any TV show, I think. Everyone just kills it.

This and Bloodline are two of the best shows going and anyone who likes one will probably like the other. Their pacing and general feel are very similar.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Slandible posted:

After slogging through it all summer, I finished all of Prison Break. I felt so committed to finishing it out, but what a turd after season one. Anyone else thinking of doing it, just imagine a fairy tale ending after season one and move on.

Starting Marcella and enjoying it after a few episodes. I do enjoy dark British crime.

Prison Break is such an odd show. It is a relic from the waning days of when network shows simply had to be 20+ episodes per season and the filler is tedious. The first season is pretty drat decent despite this but each subsequent season feels about half as good as the one before.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm almost finished with the first season of The Wire and it's fantastic so far. Please tell me it stays this good for the whole series.

You will be disappointed by S2 on your first watch of the series. It's actually good, just a significant change up. S3 is amazing and S4 is the best TV ever made. And the show has perhaps the greatest ending of any show ever, the kind of ending that you don't see coming and then when it reveals itself you say, "Of course that's how it ends! It couldn't end any other way!" And as your awe at the genius of the show wears off, you make plans to immediately rewatch the entire series.

You think the above is hyperbole. It is not.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

the Connery Bonds look great on blu ray.

Agreed, the quality is remarkable. Rivals Bladerunner in a "best blu-ray image quality from old movie" contest.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

After Goldmember they all went to poo poo.

Assuming you meant Goldfinger, it's easily the worst Bond movie. Bond rapes a lesbian straight and literally and I mean literally plays no role in stopping the bad guy.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

Nope - checking him out thanks.

For a sample, look for Salt and Pepper Diner on YT.

He's a bit too mannered for him to ever become one of my favorites, but that bit is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

fishtobaskets posted:

I love The Mist. It gets a lot of rightful criticism for the CGI in the first 20 minutes of the film, but aside from that it's a superb adaptation of King's original story, and notable as being the only screenplay that King said had a better ending than the one he originally wrote. Not all that surprising since its Frank Darabont.

More like the corniest ending of all time. All it lacked was sadtrombone.wav

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Literally the only thing I have heard about the Phoenix Wright movie is they do the "Everyone falls over when someone says something stupid" thing that anime took from old-timey American comic strips but in real life.

The person who told me this said that it never has any effect on him in anime, but it somehow becomes incredibly hilarious when transferred to actual actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtpQlp72GYk welp

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm gonna watch it tonight on my phone propped up on a pillow so the speaker is slightly muffled.

Hi Satan

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Nvm

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 17, 2017

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Asnorban posted:

Is there a point where Better Call Saul feels like it was something that needed to be made? I watched the first 4 or 5 and kind of fizzled out because while it was well done I could never get past the feeling of "this doesn't need to exist" that kept hitting me.

I started off expecting it to be a wacky dramedy featuring that zany lawyer from Breaking Bad and almost quit, because that's not what the show is at all.

Go into it with no expectations and you'll find it to be maybe the best character study with the best acting of any show on TV currently. It's really phenomenal.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

RUM HAM posted:

Marvel television shows have been rapidly decreasing in quality since DD S2 and Jessica Jones (her show was highly overrated, in my opinion).

Being wrong twice in one sentence is a remarkable great. JJ was amazing and what about Legion?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

I appreciate the posts if only because they give me an excuse for never finding MST3K funny after trying to watch it on rented DVD & later, youtube.

Pod People will make you a believer.

In fact, I think I'll watch it now.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Rocky is not a sports movie. It's a character study that has a 5 minute boxing scene at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

My favorite Adam Sandler movie is the one with a scene where he talks in like a baby voice, and another scene where he gets really super mad and yells.