Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cinema Paradiso is on Netflix and terrific if you haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

david_a posted:

Lost Soul was pretty cool and, like everyone said, I don't think you need to have seen The Island of Dr Moreau to enjoy it (I was actually kind of surprised by how little of the movie they showed). Are there other documentaries about terrible movies worth watching (not necessarily on Netflix)? I've seen Best Worst Movie too.

I just watched Lost Soul last night and really dug it. The closest documentary I can think of would be Lost in La Mancha about Terry Gilliams failed attempt to get a Don Quixote movie made. Also there is Overnight about Troy Duffy (Boondock Saints) flaming out of Hollywood. I don't think either are streaming anywhere right now, though they have been on Netflix in the past.

e: forgot this one, but Jodorowsky's Dune is in that same vein

I'd love some other suggestions too

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 11, 2015

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Breakin' and Breakin' 2 are both awesome, but everyone needs to see Wild Style. It's the original hip-hop/graffiti/break dancing movie with mostly non-actors. It's like a time capsule back to early 80s not-so-safe NYC. In one scene they hired a couple of dudes that were hanging around to play muggers, and the guys pulled out their own sawed-off shotgun to use.

e: can't check now, but it was on Netflix as of a few weeks ago

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I binged through Narcos in a few days, and need to see more of Padilha's work now. Elite Squad: Enemy Within is on Netflix, but Elite Squad isn't. Can I watch Enemy Within first, or should I wait and track down Elite Squad?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

morestuff posted:

You can watch it without seeing the first and follow along fine, that's how I did it. It's good.

Excellent, thanks!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

That's another huge problem with Hulu Plus: Selective content depending on device.

I paid for Hulu Plus for access to the exclusive Criterion Collection. My main way of watching anything on streaming is via Xbox Live or a Smart TV. Hulu will list any movie available on Criterion, but you can only stream maybe a 3rd, at best. The rest pop up with an error saying "Only Available on Hulu Website".

Wow, really? I was just about to sign up for Hulu Plus for the Criterion stuff, but 100% of my viewing would be through either ps3 or xbox in my living room. Thanks for saving me the money.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks to whoever recommended Electric Boogaloo earlier. It was great, and it blows my mind how many of their films I watched growing up. It also reminded me that Invaders from Mars is a movie that exists. Some of the scenes in that were pretty freaky to a 10 year old (teacher swallowing the frog).

Also, Catherine Mary Stewart still looks amazing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cranston is already on record saying he'd be happy to come back and shoot stuff for BCS.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tales from the Darkside is a fun anthology series. And while it's not an anthology, Friday the 13th: The Series scratches that same itch pretty well for me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

This. This one right here, S01E4 Mummy Daddy, was the poo poo. Saw it when it aired and as a 14 year old I laughed like a motherfucker.

Mummy Daddy is one of the best standalone episodes of any show ever. I think it's the only VHS tape of recorded television that is still around at my parents house, because it still gets watched every couple of years.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QNDycDirxA
Amazon Prime/Sheen/Quaid
THE WRAITH
Murdered Ghost Drag Racer 1986
You know what to expect. Also features Clint Howard.

This movie was DOPE AF when I was 11.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not a movie, but the show Narcos is excellent and sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

fliptophead posted:

Just started watching Mr Robot and I'm hooked. This show is amazingly good. (S1 on Amazon Prime and hoping they chuck S2 up as well). Rami Malek does a crazy good job in the lead - the corridor scene in Steel Mountain was just devastating.

I think it loses steam in the last third of season 1, but was still enjoyable. Great cinematography. Hearing that s2 might not be as good, but I haven't watched any yet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

e: Holy Hell is available to rent on Prime. It's a 22 year documentary about a cult that can best be summed up as:

:dogbutton:

It's on Netflix too, I watched it last night

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Watched Raiders! the other day on Netflix, and it was great. It's a documentary about a group of 11 year olds that spent 9 years creating a shot for shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not sure if it's streaming anywhere, but you should probably check out Apocalypto if you haven't seen it yet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Looking for a good guys outsmart light hearted show along the lines of Burn Notice or Leverage, nothing super grim day, but an entertaining hour long show to was along with all the half hour comedies we are streaming. Anyone recommend something?

Old and cheesy, but MacGyver is on Netflix and pretty much in that same vein.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Oh man, What About Bob is on Netflix. I think as I kid I watched that more than any movie I have seen in my life but I haven't watched it in at least 20 years.

It holds up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

Is there a streaming device where amazon prime doesn't have a terrible interface? I watch it through my blu player now, and it's so clunky and hard to navigate that it's making me not want to watch it. If I get a set-top box like a roku or a fire, will it be easier to navigate p, or is that just what prime looks like?

It's terrible on 360/ps3/ps4 and PC too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really enjoyed Keanu, but it's nowhere near as good as Hot Fuzz.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Hell or High Water is also up, it's depressing as gently caress in Trump's America but a good movie and I liked the ending.

drat, already? Seems like it was just in theaters a few months ago.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

In probably the most quintessentially early 90s video store trip ever, some friends and I rented Lawnmower Man and Toys for the same night. Everyone agreed that Toys was by far the more disturbing of the two.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rough Lobster posted:

I dunno I remember Lucky Number Slevin being weird and bad also.

It was.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Guys Yoga Hosers was terrible. Somehow worse than Tusk.

My friend who is a die-hard Kevin Smith fan, who somehow manages to love everything he's done, called me up to warn that Yoga Hosers was irredeemable trash.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shoombo posted:

Shudder, which you can get as an add-on for Amazon, has Dark Star, written by Dan O'Bannon and directed by John Carpenter. It was a huge inspiration on Alien. Comedy, but still sci-fi.

Dark Star is amazing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

1978 Superman is still the greatest superhero movie ever filmed, and I will fight anyone who thinks otherwise.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My vote is for Sam Kinnison.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ChickenMedium posted:

So this just popped up on Netflix and I immediately put it in my queue. I can't believe I'd never heard of it before.

The Wraith is awesome, and it seems not a lot of people are familiar with it. Movie is worth watching for Clint Howard's character alone.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

Cassavetes is also pretty entertaining in it, from what I remember. Gotta rewatch it now.

Yeah, that whole gang was terrific really.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

One of my ex's was in Blood and Donuts (she's the very first person you see, I think? She gets killed in the opening) and Cronenberg had signed her copy of the VHS tape, which she then gave to me, which I then lost. :mad:

For some reason Blood and Donuts is one of my 73 year old father's favorite movies of all time, and until now I have never heard anyone else ever mention it. I also had no idea there was a Cronenberg connection.

Thanks to the thread, I rewatched History of Violence for the first time in like a decade this afternoon. Forgot just how drat good it was.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Good Eats was my go to chill out cooking show and they took it down. :(

The other day I learned that Alton Brown started out as a cinematographer. He was DP for REMs The One I Love video.

TMYK!

e: the pilot episodes of Good Eats were shot on film

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is Fargo season 2 on any of the streaming services? I could have sworn it was on Hulu when I started s1, and a week later it was gone.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

david_a posted:

I'm guessing it will hit Hulu in mid April when season 3 starts airing. You sure you didn't see those stupid clips that Hulu likes to confuse you with?

That was probably it, I only just got Hulu and Fargo was the first series I watched. Was pretty bummed when I finished (the excellent) season 1 and didn't have s2 to follow it up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Those are all great episodes, hard to go wrong with any of them. Jack Frost is one of my faves.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I liked Million Dollar Baby well enough, but haven't exactly felt a need to revisit it since either.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

Iron Fist sounds like a real downer, but if you want another Marvel TV show to take its place I highly recommend Legion. The first six(ish?) episodes are available on Hulu with more added as they air. It's about David Haller, who is a mutant telepath with multiple personality disorder and who is secretly Charles Xavier's son. Every episode is a fun little mind gently caress and it's one of the best-looking TV shows going.

Don't read that spoiler if you haven't read the comics. It's something that hasn't been mentioned in the show yet :(

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

I've never seen any of them. Are they actually good? Or at least on par with the median Jason Statham movie?

They are all good to great, and the worst of the series was directed by John Woo and is at least as good as anything Jason Statham has been in.

I would argue that it's the best modern action franchise, by a fair margin.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Mission Impossible 2 is not as good as the Crank movies, but, yeah, it's still pretty fun for the worst of the series.

I mostly dug the Crank movies, but John Woo + Tom Cruise + motorcycles is a pretty damned fun combo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Better Call Saul season 2 is now up, so for those of you who have been slacking on that, catch up before Season 3 starts the 10th.

It's so good.

Ditto for Fargo on Hulu (well, it's s3 starts on the 19th)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Is The Wraith as awesome as it sounds?

The Wraith is amazing. Peak Charlie Sheen, Sherilyn Fenn and Clint Howard's Hair.