Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

hooah posted:

This was my Windows user picture until recently.

Just be glad that it was only your Windows wallpaper. Imagine what that PuddingHuxtable guy is going through now, poor guy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Heh, "Let's Go" book on the left there, so there's a good chance that the book in the middle is somewhere in the English school I work at.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Top Line: "Easy to drink because it has a cock!"

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

nononononononononononono

Seriously, though, wood chippers always remind me of that part from Rumble in the Bronx. It was supposed to be a happy-go-lucky Jackie Chan beat-em-up. Maybe some painful hits and such, but nothing so gruesome :(

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
It's funny because it takes skill (luck?) to find that sweet spot of stupidity where it's obvious that it's a parody for most people, but still believable enough for someone to take him seriously and call him out on it. On top of that, his comments are genuinely funny, to some at least.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Backweb posted:

This one probably belongs in the AUG thread instead:

What's the AUG thread? Does it have something to do with parodies and / or Poe's Law?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Ahh, I see. I figured since it was pretty obviously a parody... ah, well.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Your Computer posted:

As for funny pictures, here's a beautiful captcha I got:

I have a habit of using this in my test data for various web-based projects, just to be sure.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Dead ghost.
Dead skeleton.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Talk about an "Itasha"

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Saw this on my way to work today.

Glands work differently here in Japan :japan:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

It's "Cacodemon". Philistines...

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Cosplay talk? Goatse talk?

WHY NOT BOTH?

Ugh that's creepy. I was going to wish something bad on you, but then I realized that you probably had to Google "goatse cosplay" to find that, and that's probably punishment enough.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Germansimp posted:

I'm more irritated that the reflections from the chairs in the room make it look like he pissed his pants.

Reflections? What do you...

Goddamnit.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
They're just heading to the airport to pick up a particularly patriotic client.

"Welcome to Texas, Mr. Rember! Your red, white and blue limousine is right this way."

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Here you go

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Radio Paranoia posted:

Finally something we can all get behind!

Boooo!

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Projection is a hell of a thing. Especially for Astronomers :v:

:allears: This post. This is a good post.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
There was a documentary about a study done with a remote tribe of people I remember but can't seem to find. The researchers showed them a bunch of colored circles where one of them was clearly green and the others blue and asked them to point to the one circle that was different, and they couldn't figure it out. Then they did the same thing with a different color, where one circle was just a slightly different shade of the same color as the rest of the circles (maybe brown? or red? can't remember). Every person immediately pointed to the different circle. The difference was that, in their language, they had words distinguishing the latter pair of colors, but not the former. So not only is our language about colors affected by our surroundings, but our actual perception of color is affected by our language, too.

On the "orange-red" thing mentioned above, I ran into the same thing learning Japanese. "Green" is a relatively new concept, so in Japan they have "blue apples", "blue vegetables" (lettuce, etc), and the "blue" light on the traffic sign means "go". Apparently, the only major colors up until a hundred or so years ago were red, blue, white and black, maybe purple (if you're a language buff, the way to tell is that there are simple words for those five colors, where all other colors are described as "_____-color", like "tea-color" for "brown" or "orange-color" for "orange").

Mezzanine has a new favorite as of 08:04 on Jan 31, 2016

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Viscous Soda posted:

There's a article I read recently that has a similar subject, I'm betting that this article is drawing from the same source as the documentary you're talking about. http://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-blue-and-how-do-we-see-color-2015-2

Awesome, that's it! Weird, I remembered it as being circles, not squares. Huh.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

The shortest directions are the best.

"Gong duet"

"Duck"

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

But does Dino lay egg?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Trent posted:

IS TRUE that I'm sad you beat me to the joke.

I meant it as a set-up, so we both win :hfive:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Is Paul supposed to be Judo? He punches an awful lot for a Judo guy.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

I'm the guy with himself as a baby.

No, I'm pretty sure that's Burglekutt.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

See? Burglekutt!

I recognized that he was from that postcard. No joke, I'm positive that's the guy that played Burglekutt

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Leofish posted:

Vohnkaaaaaarrrrrrrr!

I'm partial to "Yer gonna what? *long pause* Baahahaha!"

Content - from the depths of my saved image folder:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Memento posted:

Actual children's book.

Not nearly as traumatising as that story book with the big kiss from "Auntie Sphincter-mouth", which I prefer not to GIS at the moment as I have just eaten.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Right before this was a call to the hospital about friend who got sick from a practical joke involving Coca Cola.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

My god, it's... it's beautiful!

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

Of course it's fake. That was obviously done by a guy who wished to be a kid again, but keep all of his adult memories.

There's a pretty good mystery manga / anime series about that running currently called "Erased".

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

I've seen that second guy somewhere before... Gary Oldman?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
So THAT'S where the "No, I said she's loving Goofy!" joke came from!

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
In the url "http://forums.somethingawful.com/", "forums" is called the "subdomain". Now that you know the correct term, let the tumblrites be tumblrites, as if there weren't already a million other reasons to laugh at them.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

flosofl posted:

"forums" is the hostname, you dope.

In a FQDN, it's hostname+domain. Now if you had the FQDN of stupid-poo poo-we-talk-about-shut-up-shut-up.forums.somethingawful.com, then and only then could "forums" be considered a "sub-domain".

:tipshat:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

MISSINGNO.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Thank you Chuck Tingle, wherever you are, for brightening up my day :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah baby!

http://i.imgur.com/YR4cVVF.gifv

• Locked thread