Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Apple watch to unlock my mac is pretty rad. Thanks apple. I've tried poo poo like MacID before and its always a slow sack of poo poo but not this... not this. It's good. Thank you Tim.

Ugh, that reminds me that I've been kind of displeased with MacID lately and how sometimes it just doesn't work for upwards of 10 seconds after waking from sleep. I dunno if it mandates a $250+ smartwatch for me, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

eddiewalker posted:

Does MacID work fluidly for Watch unlock? I feel pretty left out with my 2012 too.

MacID is semi-broken in Sierra, go figure! They've got an update coming, though. I use tap to unlock and it enters... something for the password, but it gets rejected.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I got my s1 for 150$ thanks epp :]

I want an S1 for $150... What's pep?

Edit: pep. No, epp. I know what pep pep is autocorrect it's dad

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Picked up a Series 1 today... I really should've looked and checked that the stainless steel link band was Four Hundred and Forty Nine loving Dollars beforehand. I guess Milanese loop will do, although I am more satisfied with the default sport band than I thought I'd be.

Actually, are there any suitable third party metal link bands worth buying that aren't hyper price inflated?

The watch is pretty cool. I honestly only wanted it to unlock the full functionality of iOS' Health app, but a small part of my CS tech nerd sensibility just wanted something new to play with.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rage-saq posted:

I've ordered this exact one and had it for 6 months and its just as good as the real one my brother has, they are indistinguishable. iirc this one is based on the "4th gen" clone design out of china https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C8NG2VW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've heard this one is based on the slightly updated "5th gen" clone design and its got an 18 month warranty, so I'd probably go this way if I did it again https://www.amazon.com/OULUOQI-Stainless-Bracelet-Butterfly-Closure/dp/B01CHYHI88/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1471398639&sr=8-5

Awesome, thanks! I've spent the last hour scouring Amazon and eBay, and it's honestly kind of scary -- I generally ignore the tons of 5-star reviews and only look out for 1-star reviews, most of which are along the lines of "IT BROKE IN 5 MINUTES" and of course, that'd be awful in any scenario.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TraderStav posted:

Is this a controllable behavior? I'm new to the Apple Watch with my S2. When I receive a message (or any notification really) my watch will ding but nothing out of my phone. No lighting up the display or anything. Can I change a setting somewhere so that way I receive the notification on both? I'd like my phone to wake as well as the watch.

That's intended behavior -- notifications are set to show up on your active device, so if your phone's screen is off, they'll show up on your watch. Likewise, if your phone's screen is on, they'll show up on the phone instead of the watch. Not sure if there's any changing that!

Can confirm that it'd probably be annoying, though. Sometimes I'll get a string of iMessages that will both show up on my Macbook and wake my phone moments later, and I go into tech nerd overload telling inanimate objects to shut up.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

After my first full day (~13 hours) with the S1 including a 2-hour workout, the watch is at 30%. That's agreeable, I suppose. I've since removed some dock items and turned off some background refreshes, so maybe it'll fare better tomorrow. The workout likely had me waking the screen a whole lot, but I'm not interested in disabling raise-to-wake.

Phone is at 40% though -- ouch! I'm used to around 70% at this time with quite similar usage. Might need to trim some fat there, too.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hnnnnngh why don't they make this in black...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rage-saq posted:

The anecdotal evidence people will give you is that as you use the device you will become more natural using it and it will learn more about how you use it and optimize background tasks and you will see longer battery life.
I'm afraid it's only anecdotal but lots of people will tell you their first week or so with the AW saw an end of day battery charge of about 30% that turned into regularly being 60%.

I'm glad that's the case. I've been off the charger for 4 hours today and I'm still at 100%. I have no idea what's going on. I did, however, drain it to <10% late last night, so maybe a good full discharge did the calibration factor some good. (I also dropped it to minimum brightness, which may or may not be contributing to much better battery life.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

I can't seem to get my AppleWatch to be set up to unlock my iMac.

Details:

2FA is on for my iCloud account and devices (Do I need to do 2FA specifically on my Watch somehow?)
I have an iMac 5k
I have tried turning Handoff off, and on, on my iMac and my iPhone.
My iPhone and my iMac are on the same Wifi network...

any ideas?

Bluetooth pairing? WatchOS and macOS fully updated?

On a related note, it's been a wee bit flaky for me so far as well; maybe 75% success rate.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

Explain the BT pairing part?

I believe it's necessary to just pair your iMac and Apple Watch over Bluetooth is all. Can't remember, but wouldn't hurt to try!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My watch unlocking is also flaky. I'd say it's been about 50% successful so far. I guess I could stand to at least reboot both devices to see if it improves things, and I also suspect MacID might be interfering. I'm keeping that around, though, since they updated it for Sierra and it tap-to-password works again. Apple should really implement that into watchOS.

If it uses wifi, maybe that's it? My rMBP renews wifi if it's been sleeping for a while, which takes longer than the watch unlocking process. Dunno if that's a macOS thing or a "I need to configure my router better" thing.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 4, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cool music playback trick I've realized, Now Playing can control Spotify playback (and presumably anything else your iPhone can play.)

Not quite as handy as the Music complication, but better than nothing I guess. Quicker than picking up the iPhone, since the iOS Spotify app doesn't provide lock screen controls.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'd blame Best Buy and whichever other retailers had a fire sale on the Series 0 leading up to the refresh. They were selling new SS models with SS link bands and Milanese loops for like $250.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Anyone else having issues with (a) maintaining a Bluetooth connection between watch & phone, and (b) unlocking macOS via watch?

For (a), it's been happening at least once a day since I bought the Series 1 watch about a week ago. Often requires a simple cycling of the iPhone's Bluetooth radio, but I feel like this shouldn't be a necessity. The first time I noticed this was happening, it was because hours worth of health data was missing from Health.app. Of course, it all pushed through once I reconnected, but still. No outside influences I can think of except occasionally going into another room without my phone, but this doesn't seem to trigger it.

For (b), unlocking only works maybe 50-60% of the time. The watch is securely on (detecting) my wrist and unlocked -- no idea where to go from there. Perhaps tied to the fact that my watch fails to maintain its Bluetooth connection to the phone? It will still fail when the watch & phone are paired.

Really curious to know if this happens for anyone else. I'm kinda suspecting the watch to be at fault due to (b), unless the unlocking process invokes the connection to the phone in some way. Then, it could be a phone issue as well. Things I've tried: rebooting all devices, that's it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 10, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm supposed to be able to use Siri to initiate a text message to someone on the watch, right? Siri (on watch) doesn't seem to recognize any of my iCloud contacts besides myself/my own card. I tried resetting its sync to the phone and re-pairing it to the phone, no dice. Can I even view my contacts on this thing? The only option in the phone's watch app is "mirror iphone."

edit: cycling contact syncing on my phone fixed it. iCloud...

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 11, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is it not possible to detach the watch's pedometer from Health.app? My workouts are stationary, but do involve arm movement, which is translating into thousands of steps/distance that I am not making. All it seems I can do is re-arrange device priority, but even setting the iPhone at the top results in the same thing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just realized something after about a month -- is there really no stock Notes app? What the gently caress. Hopefully either Evernote or OneNote support iCloud sync. I'm not terribly attached to Notes on any Apple device, but I do want muh notes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My S1 battery life was sorta poo poo before 3.1, it'd be anywhere from 20% to 40% after about 16 hours, but it lasted a day. Yesterday was a full day on 3.1, and I put it on the charger 16 hours later at like 85%. I even upped the brightness to full halfway thru the day.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bum the Sad posted:

It'd be funny if the update hosed up the battery gauge and in reality it's just gonna shut down at 70% charge.

I definitely suspected that in the hours following the update, since it was still at 100% after like 3 hours. I was going to "fully" discharge it, but I forgot.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'm about to get my watch. Wasn't there a way to calibrate the fitness tracker? Something about walking a mile? Is there a guide you could give me?

In the watch app, Privacy - Motion & Fitness - Reset Calibration Data. Then, you'll want to log a walking workout for at least 20 minutes (and walk, of course!) I believe you'll get a tap w/ no notification once it's calibrated.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I actually tried the turn-by-turn GPS stuff last night without really meaning to. I started paying attention to the timing of the haptic feedback after a few turns; to me, it's like a "put your turn signal on right about now" notification. I could see it not being early enough if you aren't anticipating an upcoming turn, but I tend to glance at my (phone's) screen to get an idea of how close an upcoming turn is.

Didn't realize it distinguished the turn direction in the feedback, though... I didn't notice. How's that work? Hopefully it's not silly like left = X pings, right = X+1 pings... because that seems like too much trouble to pay attention to.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 30, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

connorrr posted:

Does it need to be on a charger or anything for a reinstall? Not sure how far to take this considering they're like thirty bux.

I think the latest watchOS actually requires it to be charging to update. They skip right over the "maaaaybe you should consider putting it on the charger for this" part because the poo poo takes like a half hour with the screen on the entire time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The S1 is a good buy to consider. It's quite essentially the same as the S2, minus the GPS, more stringent waterproofing, and slightly brighter display. It's also $100 less, and if any Apple Watches go on sale for Black Friday, I bet it'll be that one.

(There's a few other differences -- only the S2 comes in configurations beyond aluminum, slightly larger battery that is negated by the higher brightness screen and GPS, and the S2's body is ever so slightly thicker.)

If you suspect the person you're gifting wants the GPS or happens to be huge into swimming with smartwatches, then I guess those are the deal breakers.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If I could sell my aluminum S1 and get a stainless S0 for a somewhat even exchange, I'd probably do it at this point. I've come to terms with what I enjoy using the watch for, and it's all pretty low intensity stuff -- unlocking my MacBook, mirroring notifications, controlling music, and aiding turn-by-turn GPS.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The good apps... hmm... well... are you looking for a quirky weather app, running/walking, or yoga tips and tricks? Because that's about 98% of em

Joking aside, this thing serves a worthwhile purpose with just the stock apps IMO.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I got my husband a series 1 Apple Watch for Christmas. He takes it out of the box it doesn't turn on. We put it on the charger for ~3 hours it doesn't turn on. We put it on my watch's charger for 5 hours. It still doesn't turn on. I did all of the trouble shooting they said to do on the website (no plastic covering bits, etc.) and the thing is just dead.

How much hassle am I going to get at the Apple Store today when I try to exchange it for one that isn't broken?

I'd call and make an appointment at least, I bet the stores are pretty busy the next few weeks.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bought an open box X-Doria(?) black Milanese Loop knockoff band at Best Buy today for $20. It's actually pretty awesome for a $20 knockoff. Lugs fit perfectly snug, and it passed the initial stress test of "pull it tight as a motherfucker."

Found out why it was open box pretty quick; it had an imperfection in the black coat that was quickly fixed with a Sharpie. Either that, or someone just didn't like it.

I've never held/worn a real Milanese Loop, but it'd have to be drat magical for me to ever pay $200 for it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 30, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alfalfa posted:

So I got a Series 2 for Christmas. Never had a Series 1 but from 2 days of wearing it, I don't really use it much outside of looking at the time like my normal watch.

I originally asked for the series 2 so when I go run I don't have to carry my phone to record distance plus use something else to check my HR, but that is 1-2x week while rest of my workout stuff happens in the gym.

Should I return and get a Series 1?

What does everyone else mainly use your watch for? I do like it but not sure yet if I can justify the cost for either series right now?

Also how can I get my screen to light up when I get a new notification? Right now I get the tactile pulse, but still have to tap the screen to see anything.

80% mirroring notifications from my phone or otherwise negating the need to pick up my phone, 10% GPS assist (when using turn-by-turn GPS on phone while driving,) 10% keeping me honest about not being a fat gently caress, and an honorable mention for automating the process of unlocking my MacBook. And another honorable mention for telling me the time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

robodex posted:

I use the watch to check notifications and I end the day some days at 5%, battery life not good

Have you updated to 3.1? I just spent 3 days at my mom's house for Christmas without my charger, turned the watch off overnight, and got home with like 40%+ battery left.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Made the mistake of checking out the black Milanese Loop today. Man, that's a nice looking band. What the gently caress am I saying? Or typing, rather? I feel like I'm into jewelry all of a sudden, except it's a band for a nerd watch.

My "midrange" knockoff is holding up well about two weeks in, although it is clearly black compared to the polished gunmetal look of the real thing. The magnet also seems to be stripping microscopic bits of the black whenever it slips, so I'm expecting this thing to look like a mess conveniently around my birthday so I'll have a decent excuse to buy the genuine article.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Taima posted:

But I have a buddy who was one of the very first people to get the DLC milanese, as he is on the watch team and snagged one before they were even around for consumers. And guess what, his magnet is pretty hosed up. He's had it longer than anyone. I think that's a sign of things to come for other milanese users.

Hmm, that's really discouraging. If I were to buy a real Milanese, I'd wish for it to last the lifetime on my wearing an Apple Watch, which I imagine will be multiple years of revisions to the watch hardware itself, and/or as long as it continues to offer its conveniences while expanding on those. I could deal with it aging, but the fitment eventually becoming untenable within 2 years is a total deal breaker.

I wonder if the magnet would hold up if it didn't slip due to tension? I've learned to arch my wrist around 90 degrees upwards when securing it for the optimal fit of "snug, but won't slip."

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dugong posted:

If I'm planning to get a Series 2 for sport, there's no reason to not get a Nike one right? They're the same price.

No reason not to, no. If you want a Series 2 already, I guess the only reason to not get the Nike version is if you really dislike the proprietary sport band it comes with. Otherwise, it's a Series 2 that gets a couple of unique Nike-branded watch faces and complications.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The answer to all bands' fit is "snug." Otherwise, stuff like the accelerometer and heart rate sensor poo poo the bed (when it comes to statistic tracking, that is.) If you don't mind that, fit yours with aesthetics in mind, and/or just so the wrist detection doesn't accidentally lock the watch. I think your first case scenario sounds good and the second (3 inches of movement) is too loose.

Personally, I wear mine (Milanese Loop) to the point where it can't really slide at all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Siri (via "Hey Siri") launches pretty quickly on S2, but the slowest compared to iPhones, from what I remember as far back as iPhone 6. Around a second or less. Interpreting your speech is the same deal, but actually processing your request is a total gamble. For example, asking her to do something exclusively on the watch (e.g. "set a timer for 10 minutes") is just fine, but invoking your phone in any way could cause delays/failure. The last time I earnestly tried using Siri on the watch was trying to call someone while driving with my phone tucked away in a bag, and it failed after like 20 seconds.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If I wasn't lazy about it, I'd look into selling or trading my Series 1 aluminum for a Series 0 Space Black stainless steel. I only use my watch for mirrored notifications and unlocking my MacBook these days; I wouldn't miss the new processor.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Variable_H posted:

I've looked at the Apple Watch quite a bit recently but I'm not sure there is really anything to make it worth buying? My dad has one that I've played around with a bit, and it seems neat, but nothing about it seems any more than a gimmick, and I'm not sure I want to pay $400 for a gimmick. I've got a Fitbit Charge 2 that basically suits my needs, but the wrist band is starting to get hosed up. Tell me, goons, what are some of the super cool and life altering things I could do with a $400 wrist computer?

It's a slow burn of convenience perks to me, mainly text/notification mirroring and GPS turn by turn stuff. Lets me effectively mute my phone without missing notifications. It's also a watch.

I bought mine impulsively as a tech geek, and had a bit of buyers remorse in the first few weeks, but now I really appreciate it.

It can be had for as little as $250 for a 38mm Series 1, which has the same internals as the Series 2 minus the GPS. It has less stringent waterproofing, a screen that doesn't get quite as bright, and a lower quality speaker, but none of that matters to me and you can gauge accordingly.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I had a knockoff Milanese Loop, too, and it wasn't even a particularly cheap one (it was some $40 one sold at Best Buy.) The black coloring had started stripping off within a month, and the non-Loop lug broke maybe a month after that. Thankfully I was sitting at home at the time, otherwise I probably would've had a broken watch.

I've since bought the real band, overpriced as it may be, but it's held up perfectly fine for at least six months now, with no color stripping.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bobstar posted:

Thanks all, I think I'm pretty much sold. Daily charging was one of my concerns (ugh, another thing to keep topped up) but it sounds like it's not so bad. Charger on the nightstand, one in the work bag and it should be doable.

Last thing, can any app do turn-by-turn navigation? I'm good at getting lost when cycling a new route, having the watch say "turn left onto X street" would be fantastic.

I bought a cheap 3D printed charging dock for my watch that took a lot of the tedium out of charging it every night. Highly recommended if you don't mind 3M sticking something to your nightstand!

And yes, Apple's default Maps app (and likely Google Maps as well) does turn-by-turn navigation via haptics as you approach a turn. Something like 3 quick taps for a left, and 3 slow long taps for a right (or vice versa.) Of course, activating the screen will show you the actual direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cultural Marxist posted:

If I don't care about GPS and am never going to go swimming with my wrist mounted computer, I'm not missing out on anything going for a Series 1 over a Series 2, right?

I just have this horrible feeling Apple are going to decide that, when the inevitable Series 3 arrives, they'll stop supporting the S1 or something.

You're really not even missing much going for a series 0, in the event you can find one deeply discounted. The big upgrade from Series 0 to series 1/2 was a faster dual core processor, which helps apps not retained in memory launch in 2-3 seconds instead of 4-5 seconds. This isn't as big a deal as it sounds, and watchOS revisions have narrowed the gap. I'd love to sell/trade my aluminum series 1 for a stainless steel series 0.

Series 2 also has an improved speaker for speakerphone, which is a welcome change, since the speaker on the series 0 and series 1 is about as lovely as it could possibly be. Functional, but that's about it.

• Locked thread