Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Any chance one of you all has their A&P license and wouldn't mind dropping me a PM? I have a few questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Greataval posted:

Don't do it get a real education. Hope that helps.

I'm working on my electrical engineering degree now and just getting burned out on the course load. I figured I would see how hard the A&P is to get and maybe knock it out as another fall back plan.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Greataval posted:

Are you 2a3xx or what?

I am a 2a6x6, at least the job has helped with the degree some because god knows the CCAF is just about useless for credit transfers for a good degree.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Greataval posted:

A&P is really like a crew chief more than E&E unless you do avionics full time there is no in between either the mech will handle it or a avionics guy will run the wire. Its mostly crap work in aviation you can put around regionals making 30k a year or MRO sweatshops making 45k to 50k. It just comes down to did you really like the flightline because its exactly like that but no reflection belts.

Man screw that nonsense, I left the flight line as soon as I could and I am never looking back. Probably going to have to just suck up the course load over the next 8+ years and put a big dent in my degree course load.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

a cloth map posted:

Seconding this. You can pick up an A&P for free and if you're already on the line it's not so hard. Then you can roll right into an FAA job after you get out. I'm currently trying to pull this off. Don't want to be an ART forever.

Don't you have to find somebody who is qualified to sign off all the necessary task to get credit for everything and how does that effect the test prep for the license?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Greataval posted:

You just have to go down to your local FAA office and talk to a fed to get signed off. They have a list of military job codes that can get signed off. The test prep is a joke just download the A&P app take the test till you consistently score 80 and above. The practical is mostly a scam to take 250$ to 500$ out your pocket depending on which kind of fuckhead gives the test.

Thanks for the info, when I get out to NC in a few weeks, I will have to hunt down a FAA office and find that A&P app. Might as well knock out this license if it is easy, will probably look good for the promotion boats among having another fall back job option too.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

A Kpro posted:

So how hosed am I for getting a TDV? I'm feeling an article 15 coming my way but no one here knows for sure.

Typically you have to explain to supervision/chief why you where a dumbass. Depending on how your unit is ran you could get a LOR to nothing if the good ole boy club runs strong and you are in it.

Edit: your QA guys are terrible and out to get people if the give you a TDV for that, your Chief should be choke slamming somebody for that write up.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 25, 2015

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Ckwiesr posted:

Airshow this weekend. I can't wait for the unwashed masses and 15 hour days.

Seymour-Johnson?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

shyduck posted:

Someone fell asleep at the wheel while driving a fuel truck at D-M.

We had a idiot at Whiteman back a B-2 into a dock while pushing it back. The most obvious fix to this would be a mass decertification of everybody on tow qualifications and a brand new class and training to re-qualify everybody.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I wonder how much that video cost and if I can file a Fraud, Waste and Abuse complaint with the IG.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Greataval posted:

To be fair no matter where Aircraft MX takes place civilian or military it sucks so much balls 12 to 14 hour shifts are just to common.

You need to get assigned to a TIF unit, working with the Guard as an active duty is amazing. We have only 4 planes on average, work load is non exsistent, I get paid to study for promotion and work out, life is good and easy. I have been here for 6 months and have stayed past 4 once, I leave on average around 1515 and have yet to pull a weekend duty, I have only had two guys come in for 2 hours on a weekend one in that time and they got CTOs.

Only negatives are no TDYs to speak of and a desert deployment for four months once every year and a half.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Well crap I broke my string of no weekend duties in 10 months by having to come in for 2 hrs today and drive the launch truck. I guess a CTO and a one day work week next week is a decent enough compensation.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

You have no idea how nonner this airframe is, I absolutely love this candy land. I worked harder as an instructor then I have out here.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

pkells posted:

I'm going to OTS in about a month, so I guess that's a thing. I had 4 years left on my guard contract, so I might as well get paid a bit more and actually use my civil engineering degree on drill weekends.

And I think 25% might be a little generous too...

That's a good one, drill weekends around here consist of 8 hours of sexual assualt, cbts and medical appointments.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Godholio posted:

Elevate this. He's potentially destroying careers.

Agreed, go to his boss or the E8/E9 superintendent. The last thing we need is more of our younger guys getting poo poo on for stupid stuff and hating life.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Our new Commander was in charge for less than 10 hours and we managed to get 2 DUIs in that time frame, that has got to be some AF record.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

hosed up that the commander allowed those DUIs to happen under his watch

When is his supervisor going to hold the counseling session with him

Funny thing is we are a GSU, so the big bosses are typically across the country, unless they came into town for the change of command and didn't plan on leaving until Monday.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Looks like a little bit of freezing rain is going to give me a second three day weekend. Time to play with my daughter and then mass amounts of Fallout 4 later.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

xsf421 posted:

You know how right now you at least get to go home at the end of the day? You don't get that in the military. If your boss decides you're working 6am-10pm, you're going to be there. If you get called in on your day off? You're going in. I worked 60 hour weeks for months simply because someone in my work center got a dui and had their acces badge pulled, and the unit didn't feel like replacing them.

Man that sucks rear end, if we work past our normal hours we typically get a cut back during a slow day. Called in on a day off will earn you another day off, called in for an hour on the weekend, you better believe we are getting comp time for that. Shoot if my guys are on weekend duty standby I make sure they get comp time for waisting a weekend.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Had a guy come in today because he's a flying training eliminee. Got him reclassed as a security forces officer.

He's going to Whiteman.

He is going to absolutely love being in charge of a bunch of airman that sit in a 4x4 box, with a loaded weapon all day. Also the late night phone calls from the Shirt letting him know a couple of his Airman got caught having sex in a car, bathroom, field and all the wonderful alcohol incidents.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Softface posted:

I had an excellent Air Force day

Passed a PT test

Called a NCO gay on facebook

Ate a large pizza and pan of brownies followed by a sixer of Alaskan Amber

Didn't go and do my actual job at all

I hope the rest of you have the same

I'm getting a 5 day weekend this week due to MSgt testing on Wensday, not a bad start to a two day work week.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Honestly with the new EPR system don't you fill in the blanks as best as possible, rate him as meets expectations and he gets a promote our higher rating like 85% of the Air Force?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Arc Light posted:

Anybody have tips or tricks on studying for the Course 15 test? The material is so poorly presented that I can't read it sober. Drunk studying is just a stopgap, but probably not the best way to pass the test.

About the only tip I can give is you should have gone in and guess the crap out of it when there was no danger of multiple failures. Since that is impossible now you need to have a grasp on the concepts that you are reading about, as just about everything in the volumes are testable.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I agree the test is horrible and there is a lot of material to cover for a test that is maybe 16-17 questions. The design and implementation of something that is supposedly extremely important to your career has been a poo poo show but the test is not that drat hard, I passed both test on my first attempt in a little over 2 months.

That crap is written and aimed at a 9/10 th grade reading comprehension level, like a majority of our enlisted PME but then again we had to dumb down numerous block test to ensure Airman could pass our tech school, when I was an instructor.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I meant that I passed both test of course 15 on the first try in a little over two months. Our traditional in house PME is a joke, everybody passes no matter the effort you put in and everybody gets a shiny participation medal.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Rythe posted:

I meant that I passed both test of course 15 on the first try in a little over two months but that doesn't change the fact that the whole course 15 concept is retarded. Our traditional in house PME is not much better, everybody passes no matter the effort you put in and everybody gets a shiny participation medal.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

They knew roughly when I'd be back. And the dude I'm replacing got his leave approved before leadership knew exactly when I was coming back. Rather than cancel his leave, they try and say 'its the rules that day is a travel day, not a rest day, and since you're back anyway...'

If an exercise kicks off tomorrow I'm going to loving fail it so hard and just toss my hands up.

"I'm new."

Pretty sure you are getting boned, your travel days should fall under your authorized orders allowing you to be out of your work center during that time.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

krispykremessuck posted:

good to see all the investigative services of the military proceed the same way

I had three students in two years that I had to go after due to prior sex convictions in their records they did not disclose and the Air Force did not catch. At this point, nothing can surprise me when it comes to AF record reviews or investigations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Godholio posted:

So what's happening to them?

One of them was doing time at Miramar for rape charges, what a surprise he did what he got arrested for as a civilian in the military and then additional charges where brought out when we found out he was soliciting minors too. So I got to pick his rear end up from Miramar, bring him back to Sheppard for a General Court Martial and then proceed to ship his rear end off to Leavenworth for another 18 year stay.

The second one we just kicked out under falsifying his enlistment paperwork, that was surprisingly a super fast process. Filling in for a year as a substitute First Sergeant on a training squadron has filled me with a general hatred and loathing of mostly anybody under the age of 20.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

It was a training squadron at Sheppard too, right?

You poor soul

Yeah it was at Sheppard but honestly I loved about 99% of the job. I was actually able to do a ton of good for the younger Airmen, I actually felt like I made a difference vs being and instructor and I got to kick out a ton of dumb asses that definitely do not need to be any where near airplanes or other people. Plus all the slacking off I got to do, no set schedule, got to take my motorcycle 45 mins away with the Commander to get burgers, the job definitely had it perks, enough so that I am seriously contemplating trying to get a diamond if I make MSgt this year. Plus going out with OSI to watch them burn a ton of drugs was awesome and I got a ton of stories like the time I got to tell my GP/CC that one of my TDY SSgts lost a stripper on base and I am not talking about the mechanical kind.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Rekinom posted:

You guys are really going to flip out when I go guard and make Lt Col, and the AF literally pays me like $120/hr to go to stay in a resort on Waikiki beach and pass some gas once every couple of days. A job that is easier than, like, 95% of enlisted jobs.

Say what you want about tankers, but we get paid as gently caress for almost no effort.

That's actually impressive, im on the 135 and I maybe do a solid 5 hrs of work on an average a week, a hard week would be 10 hrs.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm starting to remember why I hated the tanker community again.

Don't feel bad, I did too until I became one of them, come join the slacker side and still get paid the same, its amazing.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Godholio posted:

I have a slightly different take, in that I don't think it's the AF's business to train people to ride a motorcycle.

I'll give it to Seymour Johnson, we have to do the motorcycle training that is required by that stupid rear end website but that is all the AF is involved with our training. I just did my 1 year training and it was the the local motorcycle cops, they came in and did a great slide show presentation with a ton of useful information. Then we paired up with 1 cop per 2 students and went on a 30 minute ride, took a break for lunch and covered some skills to work on the cops noticed during the ride and then we finished the day with a hour ride.

Riding with the cops is awesome, speed limits are suggestions so are stop signs and just about any other rule to keep the group together for safety, over all the training was very well done and I picked up a few new skills to work on.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Yeah I have a bunch of dummies in my areas that are super happy and excited about the extension. All I know is come November most of them are going to be in the same predicament as they are now.
Just proves the AF screwed up royally with Course 15 or your average NCO is just a functioning retard, probably a combo of both in all actuality.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Edit: Disregard I found out the info I needed.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 24, 2016

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Found out who got the DUI. How much worse did he make it for himself by refusing a breathalyzer?

If it's on base it just delays the process by an hour or so, until they can wake up the first O-6 to order a blood test.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

That happened with MSgt out here, we knew who had a line number close to 24 hrs in advance.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Being an instructor is probably cake af

It was by far the easiest and most stable 4 years of my career. Now if it would help my board scores I would be happier.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Yeah my AFSC is T2AXXX now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

One of my airman ended up getting a QA fail the other day, the problem is he was technically on leave when he got the fail. His leave started at 0000 and he ended up working to 0100 and the failure came during that time period. Is there any way I can fight this or is he screwed?

• Locked thread