Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The way exploit is worded, it seems like it's two separate triggers. If you remove the exploit creature in response to the first trigger, can you still get the second trigger for the exploit effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Rinkles posted:

"I was told to make a wall of forest detritus and man-made odds and ends. Later somebody went around my AD and got some poor dude in Production to mutilate it in Photoshop. Thus the illustration you see here and the card don't quite match.

This, too, sometimes happens, dear ones. Just take the money and move on. ;)"

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Wall-of-Mulch-70658352

Even with the large version I still can't parse that art at all

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Narset has the aspergers

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Count Bleck posted:

You say that, and then watch, we're getting Zendikar fetches.

I want to believe.

Anyone else think the land art from the Narset article could be Scalding Tarn??

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Elyv posted:

I feel like it's more conditional than bad; if there are enough cheap, efficient dragons to make this guy consistently a 3/4 for 2 then I think it's fine. Will there be? Still too early to tell.

Best case scenario you get a vanilla creature that can't get past Courser

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The art for Marang River Skeleton is a little on the nose

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Doug Beyer also confirms that Narset is written to be somewhere on the autism spectrum in her Uncharted Realms story.

She didn't seem like it before, I guess dragons cause autism

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Atarka's Command should really be the food version of Ashnod's Coupon

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Zurgo getting in touch with his orc heritage

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Cernunnos posted:

A non-legendary 5/5 for 4 seems OK to me. I mean it's not blowing anything out of the water but it's still decent.

Gurmag Angler?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

legoman727 posted:

Herald of Dromokoa has Herald of Anafenza's curved horn. I love the little references in this set.

And Dromoka Captain jacked her ride (and has a very similar attack trigger)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Madmarker posted:

And if they have no creatures in play, the spell is countered, assuming you are casting this off the rebound

If they have no creatures in play then you can't cast it and it stays in exile

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Should be a removal spell, 0/10 for flavour

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lancelot posted:

I guess the token is misprinted, it should be X/X, right? Cool card though.

Nah X/X tokens are always printed as */*

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I like that B/W Warriors is still a thing even with the allied colour focus

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Can't wait for Fate Re-Reforged and Dragons And Khans Of Tarkir

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

The next five blocks are about Sarkhan getting his hand stuck in a toaster and constantly going back to change the timeline over and over, resulting in weirder and weirder alternate timelines. Bear-men of Tarkir. Cats of Tarkir. Fish of Tarkir. Treefolk of Tarkir. Khans of Tarkir except it rains Donuts sometimes.

No Rhinos of Tarkir, no sale

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
My deck was so do-nothing that I lost a game to decking myself with Outpost Siege

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Devor posted:

So you got to live the LSV dream

The LSV dream would have been if I actually played my two Skywise Teachings. I maybe had enough non-creature spells for it to work but I bottled it

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Went to another prerelease today, between 17 people we got 7 Narsets

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It's really weird seeing old art in the new frame

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Rimusutera posted:

Against control decks? (I'd lean to agreeing with you) or in general?

In the matchups where you want to bring in discard you generally want to be taking their non-creature spells

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

ok the Lion King one is actually pretty funny

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

qbert posted:

Any instant speed Artifact hate right? Sacrificing the Sword is part of the Thopter activation cost, so destroying the Foundry in response to a single activation stops the combo, right?

So basically everything you would side in against Affinity is good?

If they have another artifact to sacrifice they can continue the combo in response

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Monastery mentor dropped like a rock.

What are you talking about, mentor is insane with rebound (as is Shu Yun)

The enemy-coloured commons obviously got a lot worse. Gurmag Angler is a bit better when it doesn't have other delve cards to compete with. Torrent Elemental went from almost unbeatable to solid.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

Does anyone else listen to Mark Rosewater's podcast? In one this week's podcasts, he has a pretty interesting story.

The pwnage mechanic of Ken Nagle's that everyone makes fun of here was originally Richard Garfield's. An idea similar to it was also going to be used in Avacyn Restored as a mechanic called "Forbidden" until Tabak nixed it

Wasn't it that he came to some event and was spellslinging with a deck of weird new cards he'd made? That's a bit different from actually trying to put the mechanic in a set

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Serperoth posted:

No, Ken definitely wanted to put Pwnage in a set.
Unless you mean Richard, but I don't know about that.

No, I mean Richard. Maro mentions it here but I'm sure there's another article where he describes some of the cards

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I find Maro's voice too grating to listen to the podcast. I used to read the transcripts when there was like one a week but then he took it up to 11; I feel bad for the woman doing the transcripts now.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Assault Formation doing work so far

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

scaevola posted:

That's a crazy rule-misunderstanding by Adrian Sullivan... :(

EDIT: Oh wait, his thinking wasn't as far-fetched as I thought, since he did end up with the Sidisi at the end..

I guess he plays with the stack upside-down as well

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Any graveyard strategy is going to lose a lot when Wayfinder rotates

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
He already played 2 lands the turn he cast Elspeth and got away with it

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Am I the only one that thinks "the sleeves touched when I set it down to put the other three back" means "that was added to your hand" is insanely petty/rules-laywery? :shrug:

Also holy poo poo the commentary team sounds really against Chapin.

It seems a reasonable standard to apply to prevent sleight-of-hand shenanigans

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I mean it seems likely that it was an honest mistake, even with the extra land, but that is how people like Bertoncini get away with things

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ramos posted:

Oh man, Jeskai Ascendancy Combo continues to be the coolest deck ever this standard. :allears: He dug through what? A third of his deck for that Helix?

I kind of hate it now

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Anyone know when the Chapin match happened? I'm on the youtube page of archived footage from today and none of the feature match titles have Chapins name. Was his match a late look-in from another match that finished early, or does it look like they're not posting his round because reasons.

It was the look-in in round 5 6, Owen Turtenwald was in the feature match

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Looking back at it now, he does pick up the cards, so his whole argument was irrelevant

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

It's understandable that he'd be frustrated because of the lack of picking up the cards or shuffling them together. I was a bit surprised that he seemed to be feigning ignorance of the hard-and-fast rule that "it's only gay if the cards touch". That's just about the only tournament rule I know by heart, once the sleeves touch it's in your hand and treated like a drawn card.

He did pick up the cards though, they were literally in his hand when the judge steps in

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

qbert posted:

Actually, I will copy/paste the relevant portion of his argument, because it's kind of funny that he's basically continuing right where he left off from the judge appeal on camera onto the internet, and also maybe the judges in this thread can comment on the validity of his arguments.

If Wizards should have cut away the coverage when Chapin was talking to the head judge then SCG shouldn't have published this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Wezlar posted:

It is a premium article on a website largely for hardcore magic players. Their target audience is players willing to drop money to read more articles when there are already of hundreds of free magic articles on the Web.
The PT coverage is on Twitch and while obviously the hardcore players and fans watch it, the coverage itself is largely a promotional vehicle for the game aimed at new or casual players.
The type of content that is appropriate for these two groups is completely different, especially when you're trying to attract more players to the games or to play tournament Magic.

Pretty much anyone who's written anything about the incident agrees that the judge call is correct, but here's Chapin still arguing his case in incredibly pedantic fashion. I can understand him trying to get out of it while the match result was still at stake, but there's nothing to gain now and it just looks petty.

• Locked thread