Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I rolled Extremely Stressful Pink.

Mod request for name change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I think this question may have been asked not too long ago, but I couldn't find the discussion. Apologies if I'm repeating something.

But I'm looking for advice on rattle can varnishes. I've been using gloss and matt cans from Tamiya which are fantastic, but they've very expensive. Do people have experience with regular (hardware) cans? Good or bad? Any recommended brands?

Cheers

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's the one thing holding me back from 3D printing. They've got the quality issue solved with resin printing, but they're still in the dark ages with usability on just about every machine out there. Every machine out there is reviewed as the best thing ever, or the worst. Some people get 0 failed prints, others get nothing but. And then even people with no issues for months will suddenly start seeing issues show up one day, and they disappear again months later. Even the experts in hobby printing will have issues that they have no idea what's causing them.

Even general use is bizarre, in that you have to calibrate every machine out of the box, and every brand has a different way of doing it, and you're probably going to have to recalibrate fairly often. These things should be pre-calibrated out of the box, and rarely need calibration, and if they do they should self-calibrate in seconds. The companies have been so thirsty at chasing the resolution of the prints, that they've really neglected the overall user experience with the various machines.

This is what was stopping me buy a printer. But the thing that convinced me not to buy was that I was searching for dryad models for a skirmish game. Don’t google dryad mini stls. It’s creeps all the way down.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

How many goons can there possibly be hobbying on container ships at the moment?

The global supply chain crisis is finally explained

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Cinara posted:

Paint the eyes first.

This is basically it. If you are using a wash on the face, then do the base and the wash, then do the eyes, then highlight face, etc

I also struggle with keeping my hand still.

https://youtu.be/Mzcgyk62cHU

The thing I’ve found is that my fine motor control is not great and if I try to go in straight with the tip of the brush top the eye, then I inevitably miss and make a mess. It is much easier to control the tip if you are moving istslightly as you go in, ie making the little brush strokes that you will make when the brush tip hits the eyeball. I seem to be able to control the tip better doing it that way.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Toebone posted:

Those candles!

Came to post this. Those candles and the OSL are fantastic.

As is the face, the robes, the tree ....

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you're squeezing and nothing comes out, you should probably dial it back :v:

It’s been a while since we had a new thread title

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Also why is rattlecan varnish a no go? For safety reasons?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Thanks for the helpful words, ya'll. I haven't painted much lately, but there is a new version of Warmaster rulebook being made by the community and they are asking for photos, so I'm trying my best to help out. The glare is really atrocious on the trees... I think I'm gonna try a new brand of varnish, either Scalecolor75's or Ak's ultra matte varnish and see if that helps

Unrelated rant: I have taken alot of decent pics of individual minis or units with my cell phone. But when it comes to dioramas, it just doesn't cut it. I got a pixel 6 after reading so many gushing reviews about the camera, and guess what? it sucks rear end. pictures are super blurry at the edges. I think my old pixel 4 took better photos. Its got a 50 megapixel camera, but it always downsizes to 12 mega pixels using something called pixel binning which makes for better selfies at midnight or whatever kids are doing these days but doesn't do me a lick of good for miniatures. You can't turn this feature off.

tl;dr i hate photography

I think the photo is great too. Your colours are so rich, i wonder what it would look like with a black background rather than white. I suspect the pictures will be really vibrant.

Also, re rattlecan varnish, this is the stuff i use. High quality Japanese varnish from a local hobby shop intended for railways and other weirdo poo poo (as opposed to totally cool warhams which the chicks dig):

https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/product2/category_11/266.html

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I remember as a teenager wondering what would be the most ridiculous job in the world. I landed on the person who has to come up with the names of paints. Easy enough for the GW dude who just says Rakarth or whatever. They have an endless list of stupid names to choose from. But imagine being the person at Dulux having to come up with unique names for their 35 shades of off white. :catdrugs:

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Caring Tan (actually grey)

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Lumpy posted:

You can also get vibrant acrylic ink and just mix it into a bright silver, and boom: any color you want metallics!

Or a coloured wash over bright silver. Not as intense but still any colour metallics

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Lumpy posted:

I am trying to learn to do NMM and for not knowing what I'm doing, it came out... okay? Some parts work well, others not as much.

It looks great especially the fuel tank, i reckon

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Silhouette posted:

crank one out before painting

paint before cranking one out

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

In the breaking of my tradition of only posting half finished messes, i present 1 bullgryn

Please be very critical.

This feels a bit like being a judge on The Voice or something, but here goes:

I think the most important element to raise your painting (for everyone) is to increase the contrast. Deeper shadows and brighter highlights. I tell this to myself the whole time and never go far enough.

You have very clean painting, so im not sure washes are the best thing for you. I think you can skip that step, and go to the more expert approach of layering (or even glazing) the shadows and highlights rather than washing.

Also, a couple of people said it, but the mold line on the right arm is a killer.

But finally, everyone is only commenting because you asked for very critical comments. Your painting is excellent. Your blocking is so clean and crisp this mini is very good and could be amazing. Keep on.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Toebone posted:

Allow me to introduce my revolutionary new wet blending technique, in which you complete your contrast base coat, hold your mini up to the desk lamp to admire your careful work, then immediately fumble it and drop it into your rinse cup.

Pics please!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

The French Army posted:

So here's an idea for the thread. I have come across some extremely detailed plans for 40k scale Imperial Titans. I'm planning to build the Warhound this winter, would anyone like to build along? It would be like a Let's Play but with building Titans. Maybe like a Let's Build. I've built two Warhounds and a Reaver in the past from less detailed plans and these look like they're far more challenging. If anyone is interested I'll post the plans and we can get started on an unstoppable goon legion.

Quoting this because I think its a great idea and it got a bit lost among all the tiny, tiny halfling love. I don’t think I could contribute any practical assistance, but I would be very happy to cheer along. These forums need a scratch built Titan in these crazy times.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys my Into the dark set is gonna be here in around three weeks, is there any guide for painting all that terrain efficiently? I don’t want to end up running out of miniature paint quickly since shipping all that rear end blasted me cost wise.

Preferably I like the rusted look but if using regular metal is more efficient then fine. I have no problems putting detail where it matters I just want to be effective and efficient.

Thanks!

Craft paints. Don’t waste mini paints on terrain

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

Got the body and troops of a field ordnance battery painted up. I really love these units. Not too happy with the sergeanta face, please send help.

As always, it’s about increasing the contrast to bring out the details. You have great highlighting on the cloth, but the face looks a bit monotone. I would wash it all over which will darken the eye sockets etc, then beginning with the current base colour, start painting up the highlights, going lighter progressively, finishing around the cheekbones, nose, chin.

The mini looks great though. I’m only commenting because you asked. It would be fantastic to see them with a higher depth of field so the whole group were in focus in one shot.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Critique that I give everyone, especially myself: You need three more things; contrast, contrast, contrast. Try darker shadows with a different tone that either pushes the baes color cooler (i.e. on the red coat dark purple) or to a complementary color (again on the coat, do dark green shadows) For highlights, really go nuts, again shifting the color towards yellow. I always have to force myself to go farther than I think, and I'm always glad I did.

It’s always this. Bit long for a thread title though

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Does it still get to be called a miniature if it takes 5 passes on a 3d printer to print all of it?

It’s called a biggie

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
14 night gobbos
10 dryads
A black orc
Dwarf chieftain
8 vikings including a couple converted into throwing spears
Halfling assassin
A witch hunter
Flesh golem
Phoenix
One and a half vampires
8 giant rats and a couple of skaven handlers
Loads of scenery from a Dungeons and Lasers kickstarter that i shouldn’t have backed
Some home made scenery, most notably a henge.
Sundry other minis probably.

Least fun was the phoenix - i discovered I don’t enjoy painting big models and this thing is about 10 centimetres high.

Most fun to paint was the red court vampire. I copied the flask of blood from the box art which was very satisfying.

New Year’s resolution: keep pushing the contrast. Same as last year!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

I like this. It looks like you went to get cookies only to find some orks had krumped all the biscuits.

In the grim darkness of the far future there are only crumbs

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
So I posted a sort of list of things I painted last year, but I have never put up any pics.

So image spam warning.

Also text spam, because these pics need some context (I think).

Since COVID and lockdowns, painting minis has been a great way to keep my head together. I need a reason to paint though. I do not have the discipline or desire to build and army, and the rulesets for most skirmish games do not appeal. I found solo/co-op tactical mini games with strong RPG elements were just what I needed. I started in 2020 with Rangers of Shadow Deep, but last year I moved on to (goon made) Five Leagues from the Borderlands. This is very much a sandbox and is more open about the minis needed. In my head I'm playing Five Crowns for the Border Princes, allowing me to use WFB minis and such because I am a sucker for the stupid lore.

My band of Grudgebringers MkII have pretty much cut a swathe through the creatures threatening the lands of the Border Princes. We're reasonably advanced and able to tackle almost anything we encounter. Which is making the mini collection and painting interesting and my war band is tending to get in above their heads.

Thus they (a dwarf, an elf and a witch hunter walk into a bar) found themselves in a tight corridor (Dungeons and Lasers terrain) facing off with a Flesh Golem (also D&L). Well out of their depth but the fleshy boy wasn't expecting a couple of cheap hirelings to pop around the corner and stab him in the back. C'est la mort.

(Apologies for the washed out effects on the photo. I've tried everything and failed with proper photography (even buying a light box for my DSLR and still producing rubbish) so I'm going with images that look good to me.)

Onwards and upwards. Flush with success we tackled a quest requiring our brave heroes to tackle this toothy bastard from the Crimson Court (photographed against a background of spiders webs outside my office window):

I ripped off the box art, but then again I wouldn't have known if I hadn't that it was a vial of blood he was carrying on his hip. The weirdo:

Putting the wooden stakes away and pocketing a few more XP, the band decided to push on with the quest. Which involved another monster lair, this time inhabited by a (D&L) phoenix with delusions of being a Griffon (according to the rulebook):

Another one bites the just. In the background are some ruined walls and dead trees I built during the year. The game is better with more terrain but again is pretty flexible about what you have. The book gives just enough clues on what an encounter might look like to encourage you to build more and different things.

We defeated the Groenix (?) Phoeffin (?), but we still haven't reached the conclusion of our Quest. The next encounter I rolled up is another monster lair, this time haunted by a Wight from Cursed City who for some reason is taking selfies in front of my bonsai. An undead influencer, FFS. He's going down:

Again, I've pretty much copied the box art. I'm pleased with parts of it (the cloak at the back which I didn't photograph you'll have to trust me) but hate others (the texture on the shaft of the halberd, the soft edge highlights on the armour, the buck teeth) but that's posting photos in the Miniatures Painting thread for you.

Anyway, the Grudgebringers have put this toothy bugger on ice for a bit. There's a rumour of man sized rats walking around nearby and strong hints that I bought a box of clanrats and a few jezzails that aren't going to paint themselves.

It's a good hobby.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

If I spray terrain with a gloss paint, then overcoat that with matte, will I have enough tooth to actually do detail painting?

You don't need to overspray with matte. You can paint directly on the gloss spray. When you've finished spray gloss then matte varnish to protect the paint job as normal.

But you can paint straight on to gloss. I did that for my Dungeons and Lasers terrain as I'd bought a can of gloss primer by mistake and didn't want to throw it out:

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Iden Versio and some nameless nerds

Link to their band camp? TIA

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

grab bag of random stuff

tree

You had a code break in your image which i fixed because i wanted to see all your stuff.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Lumpy posted:

I use the magnetic sheets you have, and Geisladisk is spot on: the magnets have to be touching the sheet for there to be any solid hold. How I do it is put a sheet down on a table, and put a piece of parchment paper over it, then put my magnets down spread out over it. Then I put a very generous blob of hot glue on top of a magnet, then put a mini down on top of the glue, and press down for a few seconds. The magnet is guaranteed to be in contact with the sheet, and the hot glue will flow all around it when you press down the base, making a very secure bond. You can rough up the underside of the bases as well for bonus hold. I forget which goon gave me this idea a while back, but I thank them every time I magnetize my bases.

This is the method i use too. Steel plate; baking paper; magnet; hot glue; mini. It’s fool proof, fast and simple.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Ravus Ursus posted:

I mean don't discount the labor you put in there. You're talking just shy of 12 weeks of a day job. You're talking about something like 5 figures in labor hours at a reasonable rate.

So about half the cost of Forgeworld then

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

Test model for my arbites and some of my recently finished Gallowdark terrain

The weathering on the armour is excellent.

Looking at the monitors, you wonder who is controlling the power and computer networks on the Gallowdark.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
The Guardian's photo blog has inspiration for lava bases today:

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Muir posted:

Very rogue trader, I love it! If you wanted to use them for something I could imagine proxying them for a Kill Team, say the Elucidan Starstriders.

Or a crew for 5 Parsecs from Home

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Bodanarko posted:

Bespoke disaster of multicolored 3D printed monstrosities. Someday I’ll get around to blasting it all with primer at least to tone down the visual noise

Paint station of Slanesh

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
So Plasmo, a brilliant plastic kit modeller did a WH40K APC thing

https://youtu.be/rcNu1p29_B4

He is a great modeller and cool painter so well worth watching. The attention to detail is off the charts.

But the kicker is he decided to paint it gold and chose to use gold leaf. The 18 sheets of 24 carat gold leaf worked out cheaper than a can of Citadel gold spray paint.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I agree. I don’t like the gold at all. Everything else he does is very interesting and looks great (and the video is worth watching for this), but the gold looks like a gimmick gone wrong. Nevertheless, the fact that it is cheaper than the citadel spray….

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

10mm time!

toasty

some dark brown tiles, good for forests

hay field

Quoting this because it is brilliant and needs more love.

It would be amazing to see all your tiles set up with your models. And what happened to your movie? That short was too short.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently the trick is to paint white first and then do yellow, but I hate it because it adds additional steps that end up being easier with an airbrush

I would recommend an undercoat of a light brown colour (beige) before painting yellow. I used that same Vallejo yellow and got vivid and pretty simple results that way. It’s an extra step but you’re layering anyway. And with fold of cloth you can do a darker brown undercoat in the recesses which will give you the shading.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

A second Deathwatch Aggressor done.

This guy is from a little-known BA successor chapter called The Blood Dragons.

This is great. But my stupid brain straight away saw the Nike swoosh above the aquilla and now i can’t unsee it.

Just Kill It

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

That's going to give the Bretonnians quite a shock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Decorus posted:

That's a very scary looking Horus!

I've been working on a Primaris Chaplain for my mixed Ultramarines Primogenitor collection. I can't really call it an army since they haven't seen the battlefield in a very long time.

The model is just amazing, and it's been a joy to paint. It's also my first Primaris marine, the slight upscaling does wonders for my ability to get some detail in. I just sprayed some varnish on the model, it's such a relief to not have to worry about rubbing paint off by accident.

He's still missing a shoulder pad and golden halo. I have to paint them separately, the shoulder pad in particular is impossible to paint if attached. I can see some small mistakes in the picture that I'll have to fix as well, but for once I managed to be tidy all the way through and not mess up earlier parts as I worked on the rest.

This is good looking leather. Nice and scratchy.