Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Oooh ooh I wanna post stuff too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

:flaccid:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Lord Humongus posted:

I just want to wow people.

My only piece of advice is to switch up the weapons a bit. With marines, I think it looks better for a contrasting color on the bolters. Your dudes are mostly green, so for example using a dark red for the bolters would be cool. On my Black Templars, I use a crimson color, which makes the weapons stand out from the stark black and white armor, but doesn't take over completely. On my Minotaurs, I use black, which I find is a nice compliment to the brass of their armor. My own Death Guard I simply use a dark metal, and then wash it with typhus corrosion and add rust effects, but my scheme is a little different than yours.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Always shake the hell out of your rattlecan primer, and test the spray on cardboard or whatever junk youve got laying around first! A quick burst will usually tell you if the paint is flaky garbage, and save you the effort of stripping the primer and starting over.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

If you don't shut yourself in a closet and mix random cleaning supplies into your airbrush paints, then I don't even

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

Time for hazard stripes? I haven't gotten a lick of advice about what to do next. You'd probably die if you saw the rancid, hosed up brushes I use for painting.

Lots of blank space on the back of this model, I don't know what to do with it. Same with the cables, I don't want to do more lame metallics and washes.

Just for the sake of making my knight look less bland I switched the panels around the vents and the pilot door to a different color.

As for the cables, I'm a big fan of bright, contrasting colors. Yellow is my go-to, and I mix it up a bit with green and blue to keep it interesting when there are a lot of tiny cables, and I like to keep the ribbed radiator hose looking cable housing black, but you get the idea. I did still end up with more metallic + wash than I'd have liked on the majority of the knight, like around the "core" or whatever on his back, and the backs of the legs, but I find that the more brightly painted copper and red on the panels stand out so much more that putting more time in past this:

Would be a waste. The eagle heads could probably have been painted a different metallic color, but meh.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is there anyone who does Chimera track armor? My old Chimeras don't have extras like that...

FW no longer produces the track guard kits (which were total rear end and warped all to hell every time), and I haven't found a suitable replacement either.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

So I'm after some feedback on my test Skitarii

Hit the robes with a wash of your choosing, maybe pick out more detail on the weapons/tools with different shades of copper and brass, and you'd be at my desired mechanicum paint scheme.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

The Sisko posted:

Been working on this bad boy and wanted to get some feedback as this will be the baseline for my army.

Word Bearers, I presume? This is awesome, love the metallic crimson. Not so thrilled with him standing off the edge of some weirdo base.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Drone posted:

For content, here's a test marine I painted up using those intro GW paints that I already have. Nothing great, but for one of my first models I think it's fine, and it would be perfectly acceptable on a tabletop:

Pretty decent for a first marine. I would advise, when painting light colors, such as on the tactical squad arrow and Dark Angels logo, to try to do multiple thin layers. It will turn out more solid, and will minimize the appearance of brushstrokes.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

ijyt posted:

So after being able to happily drybrush my way through my Minotaurs for the past month, I tried painting some eBay nids in my test scheme.

gently caress painting tyranids. I'm glad I only spent ~£20 on some Gargoyles because this sucks.

My scheme for tyranids (which I don't' even play, I just have a bunch of models) is white primer>red on the carapace>seraphim sepia all over>white on the eyes>grey on the weapons>biel-tan green wash on the weapons. This is pretty much Hive Fleet Kraken. Quite possibly the quickest and easiest painting I've ever done, and while the results won't blow anyone away, they are a very good tabletop standard, and I sometimes find myself wishing, after painting the belts on guardsmen or some poo poo, that I had just picked tyranids for my primary army in the first place. SO easy.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

So I'm at a weird point with my WIP Deathwing and I'm looking for input.

These are my pre-wash WIP test models, I use a deliberately sloppy drybrushing technique to tet the 'grainy/stone' effect that the camera doesn't really capture. I'm torn on a couple of things and looking for input.

I really like the ashy and muted tone of the armor and I'm trying to decide if I carry it into the rest of the model or if I should have those parts pop more.

The paints are basically dust when they hit the model, and it's done in 5 layers that didn't really show as well as I would have liked in my first batch. I'm worried that a wash will fill in the texture or reconstitute the pigments.

Also just looking for feedback in general.

This is basically all base layer except for the drybrushing. I'm still up in the air about it.

drill them barrels

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I've decided to go all Tactical Strike with a small group of peeps for 30k, and I think I'm gonna split my Calth box into a good handful of different legions so I don't die of boredom painting 30 spacemans the same color. I'm satisfied with what I have been coming up with for test paint schemes, but so far the one thing that's eluded my grasp is the metallic red for the Thousand Sons, as shown here:

My attempts to recreate it have failed dramatically. Any recommendations?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

krushgroove posted:

The 30K thread has good pictures from the recent HH Weekender that shows a painting progression of all 18 legions. For Thousand Sons it's basically: prime black, spray silver, spray clear red, paint trim and details. Tamiya TS-74 clear red acrylic spray paint is what you'll want if you don't have an airbrush.

This is exactly what I was after, which I somehow managed to dance around. The clear reds I've got laying around don't produce the result I'm looking for, so I'll give TS-74 a shot and see what happens. I've got a cheap airbrush, but the only thing I've ever done with it is paint up a rifle with duracoat, and then purchase a replacement for the horribly clogged brush afterwards.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Finally, after several applications, the water effects have finally dried on the base of my latest model. This is actually the model that inspired me to build my Chaos Space Marine Army. I am most likely going to run it as my Dark Apostle, based on the fluff.

I don't know where you're going with this, but a for reals psychotic murderer night lords detachment would be dope as gently caress.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Hmm, good idea about the Sepia and brown washes, thanks. As for browns, I am not sure how much I will be able to get with my current paint scheme. (see above) It is wrought iron black and silver.

I dunno. This is the one idea of my army that makes me a bit nervous, because I think it will be cool and flavorful to have heavily worn and faded heraldry to identify where the renegade marine came from, but I just worry that it could end up making the army go from intimidating to Skittles. Maybe I will just make sure that each squad is segregated by color, rather than having mixed chapter squads.

Edit: Quoted image so that people wouldn't have to swap back and forth to reference what I am talking about.

I feel like if you mute the original colors of whatever chapter heraldry and add enough washes of black and browns and chipping of paint, and step up the gore/horror angle on the more brightly colored dudes, you should be okay. Like how this Ultramarine is dark blue and silver, washed down and darkened, rather than bright blue and gold.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

(Crossposting from the other paint thredd)

I have also painted some things in January:

30k Abba Zabba is done, going into the needs to be varnished pile.

Black Templar Contemptor still needs a left arm finished and some transfers, but I'm pleased with how he's coming along, despite a few glaring flaws.

I also knocked out a bunch of Steel Legion Mans, with like 40 left in the queue...

...to include a few Company Commanders made from rando models I'd had laying around for far too long.

I've got enough metal Steel Legion that I'll never need more, and plan on using Death Korps models painted up in Steel Legion colors for when I expand and whatnot going forward.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

yes, with purple armor

skeletor is go

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Thoughts/ advice going forward?

Try hitting it with a black wash first, if you do't like that, then tone down the grey. I do an Eshin highlight on my Black Templars and it looks decent.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Comstar posted:

I think I put on too much flock. It may have worked better with just the texture as mud.

Play with your basing scheme now, not when you've got 50+ of them done! I use little tufts of flock to break up the monotony of the base and mostly just wash sand with a chestnut ink:

If you want to cover your base completely (even mostly) I'd recommend a light dusting of static grass instead:

In between these two is not something I've found easy to master.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I'm pretty sure these were Citadel Elysian Green over Deathworld Forest. Painted the whole base, varnished, then applied a thin watered down layer of glue with some static grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Not pictured: Tubs of unpainted minis from like 12 different factions. My spraypaint, airbrush, and unopened boxes of stuff are in the cabinet below.