Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

For some reason I'd really like to buy these guys from GW:

GW has suggested ~$124 worth of paint that I should buy to go with them... can anyone give me a list of what I should buy in order to do a "respectable" job painting them, as well as a good go-to video guide for painting skeletons or anything else I would need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Harkano posted:

Duncan has your back -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPqLyaM8a-w

He lists 19 paints at the start of the video, but take a look and see which ones you can get away with doing a mix. for example if he does a base colour, a layer, and then a highlight, you can probably cut this down to 1 or 2 colours by just adding black or white to the base, or mixing 2 colours together.

I found this video right after I posted and I think I'll go with it. The colors still work out to be ~$110, but I like his results and hope to replicate them.

He uses Zandri Dust as a base, spraying it. I don't want to buy an airgun just yet, would I be able to get away with buying the regular paint and applying it, or is there a non-GW equivalent that I could use?

Edit:

IPA Regulations posted:

White rattle can primer

Any specific type I should look for? I don't use spray paint often, is there a texture or finish that is best for models?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

richyp posted:

You can probably pull it off in 7 paints and washes (excluding white primer) or 10 if you want some nice highlights and rust

code:
Seraphim Sepia Shade
Agrax Earthshade Shade
Drakenhoff Nightshade Shade

Eshin Grey
Mephiston Red,
Screaming Skull
Leadbelcher

Optional) Rhinox Hide
Optional) Bugmans Glow
Optional) Troll Slayer Orange

Prime everything white.

1) Wash everything Sepia
2) Drybrush Screaming Skull
3) Paint Metal bits in Leadbelcher, Black Bits in Eshin Grey and Red bits in Mephiston Red and Fur in Screaming Skull.
4) Wash everything but the grey in Agrax Earthshade, wash the grey in Drakenhof

Bonus points:
5) Paint edges of red bits in Bugmans Glow
6) Stab the metal bits with Rhinox Hide for some dark rust
7) Stab the inside bits of the Rhinox Hide with a small bit of orange (wipe most of it off the brush first)

Might've been me, I painted a Death Army last month and posted the Sepia over white skeleton.

Step 1) Prime White
Step 2) Wash Sepia
That's all the above guy was.

Optional Step 3) Drybrush Screaming Skull (I did that on the unit afterwards)

Works on all bone stuff

And for good measure here's December dot jpeg again

Yowza, I like the look of your bone (:wink:) more than his, plus washes seem like some sort of painting cheat code, which also appeals to me.

I think I'd rather go with the mulberry-ish color they gave one of the models, any advice on how I can use that instead of their crimson?

IPA Regulations posted:

I've always just bought the citadel sprays so can't really help there. I know they are probably overpriced (as everything GW is usually) but they work well.

I remember when I played 40K in highschool that this was the general feeling: good stuff, just overpriced. I think that I'll take a look at the $3 primers at the hardware store, if I'm not feeling confident I may just bite the bullet and go with a GW primer (Corax White?).

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 8, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

richyp posted:

Thanks.

If you're after a desaturated purple, I'd swap Mephiston for Xereus Purple, and mix in some of the Eschin grey to taste. Then wash it with the Blue Drakenhoff Nightshade wash and highlight with either the Grey, for a desaturated look, or the Purple for a vibrant one.

The purple cloth on this dude I painted last week, uses Xereus as the base, but the shade in the darkest recesses is close to what you're after and is pretty much grey+purple washed blue.

Cool, how does this list look:

Questions:

1) What about the brown fur, what should I use for it... unless the Agrax covers it?
2) Should I go with the Corax White? What do you use?
3) There are a couple bronze surfaces (shield, cape). What should I use for those, and would you recommend Nihilakh Oxide in conjunction with them?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

richyp posted:

Depends how much you want to spend.
1) Agrax over white will give you a light fur colour, you can continue washing it with Agrax to darken it, or you could get something like a Khaki Colour and do the same

2) Corax White spray is what I used for the Skeletons. If you want to paint other things, then Primer colour is a whole other discussion as there are people who swear by black and building the colour up, people who swear by white and shading the colours down and then there's people who love grey (me included) where you can shade up and down evenly. Though I do use all three depending on the desired effect.

3) Agrax and Sepia over Leadbelcher will give you a bronze effect but nothing near an actual bronze colour. If it's your first set of paints, I'd get Retributor Gold as it covers great and washed with shades can pull double duty as bronze.

If you're really interested in painting stuff I'd maybe add a couple more basic colours, a good medium blue (Macragge maybe) a yellow (Flash Gitz) and a medium green (Skarsnik) so you have all angles covered if you want to mix other colours.

I did this a while ago which lists some of my favourite/useful paints with a new painter in mind. http://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/painting-by-numbers-recommended-paints/

1) Cool, I'll go with that and dry brush with SS as Warhammer TV suggested
2) Cool, I'll go with Retributor and wash with Agrax and maybe the Oxide.
3) Hmm, I'm a bit worried about my mixing ability. Orange is another favorite color of mine, and I'm already set on getting the Troll Slayer. How can I create a washed out orange? I should admit that I was also looking at Nighthaunt Gloom, as it appears a good go-to for capes...

I guess I'll also need some brushes to go with all of this. I have a few random modelling brushes, is there a Goon Approved set I could get?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I read some reviews that said Citadel brushes were pretty good, how does this set look? I have a bunch of small detail brushes from random companies, but I'd like to have a basic set that will cover all of my bases.

Edit: I forgot that GW doesn't do things the way most companies do- if I buy all of the brushes individually and not not buy the M Texture... thing... then it works out to be a bit cheaper.

Edit Edit: I just read the Goonhammer article on GW brushes. I guess I could just go with a couple Layer brushes and a M Dry brush?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 9, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Since I'm making a fairly large order, I thought I'd try out a Space Marine idea I've had since I made a bad joke in GBS a few years ago. The main color would be white, and Citadel suggests Corax/Ulthuan/Agrax/White Scar... however WarhammerTV guy simply primes with white, then washes with a 1:1 Nuln and Drakenhof. His tutorial looks good, could it really be that simple?

Edit: It was actually The War gamer, which makes more sense

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 10, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Making final adjustments to my first order:

I've decided to leave any Space Marine stuff until after I finish painting some skeletons, I don't want to rush into this and find out I don't like it as much as I did in high school.

Is there anything I've left out/ don't need in my order that I should consider?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Booley posted:

You should try to find a non-GW retailer. I'm not sure who's in Canada or I'd give you a specific suggestion. Typically they have a 15% discount.

I checked out "Thunder Games and Gifts" here in Canada... they only do free shipping on $200+

They have the waterpot I wanted in stock, but no Corax White spray, and it's a few bucks more.

I guess if I went more in on the Space Marine thing and got some Mk IV's and some paints it would hit the $66 more I need... but again, I don't really know if this is nostalgia or if I really want to pursue this hobby...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

IPA Regulations posted:

If you're on a budget/not sure if you want to get back in to the hobby I have no idea why you'd be buying a branded waterpot instead of just using a washed out glass jar or old mug or something, and the same goes for paintbrushes. GW might make good paints that are worth the markup but afaik this doesn't extend to their brushes - they are overpriced for what they are. There are very good sets available for comparatively nothing on Amazon.

It's possible I've just built up an extreme aversion to handing GW any more money than is absolutely necessary over my formative years of spending all my fuckin money on it but worth thinking about imo

I mean you have like 35 dollars there for 4 brushes. For the same price you could get a very nice 12 brush set from a small name retailer and still have cash to spare.

I have no idea what I’m doing and I’m completely open to suggestions- what brushes would you recommend?

Regarding the ink pot, the grooves to hold brushes gimmick got me :shrug:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How would I go about painting a SM pauldron light orange, similar to:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanqol posted:

Prime white, basecoat Fire Dragon Bright. If you need to prime a different colour basecoat Jokero Orange and layer up to FD.

Check out the citadel paint app for basic questions like this, it's really good for 'what paints do I buy'.

Cool, White+ FD was what I was going to go with, I just didn't think it would be that simple. I may buy Troll Slayer too, just in case I like the shade better.

I have the Citadel app, I just didn't like any of the options it gave.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My goal is to get this order done tonight. I've decided to go ahead with a SM idea that is probably super lame but I've been bouncing around in my head since some GBS thread. I've decided to go with the White Scars painting method this guy did, only with aftermarket pauldrons with orange.

What is a good Cit White to buy if I want to go with his method of using Corax White as the base?

How'd you do your purple robes?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought my GW order but forgot to consider the eye lens color. What would look best with White as a primary and orange as a secondary? I thought about just doing the silver + blue shade thing, is that a good idea?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Snow day today, so I had time to play with a few of the models I didn't care for and wanted to test things out on:

I've since put some Rhinox Hide on the blade, which I didn't do a good job on, but will try out the Troll Slayer in an attempt to show rust.

Same with the metal on this guy... however after I took this picture I attempted to edge highlight with Eshin Grey then Ulthuan Grey. The Ulthuan was wayyy too light, I don't like the way it turned out.

Pictures to follow.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Count_Brass posted:

Finished these guys off over the weekend.

I managed to get some really nice soft shades and highlights onto the skitarii using glazes:

What black and grey did you use for that marine?

As mentioned, I tried to edge with a too-light grey today but decided to finish what I started. I think I can probably go back over it tomorrow with a light coat of Eschin and have it turn out okayish... I realized it's the first model I've painted in 17 years, so I'm tentatively labeling it a success.

Thoughts/ advice going forward?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

I would do blue for two reasons:

Good complimentary color
Doesn't need other shades for highlighting, can just mix white.

With green you really need yellow for nice looking highlights, that would be my second choice.

I've heard that a base of silver (Stormhost Silver?) and GW's technical, jewel paints (Soulstone Blue in this case?) looks great, does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Also, thanks for the support for my first two models, I'm hoping to get to work on another one tomorrow!

Edit: Another question, but I'll be using bionics quite a bit in my army. How can I achieve the sickly, pale flesh of this Iron Hands Sargent, and what would be a couple good colors for the wiring?

I assume a base of Abbadon, then Retributer, then shade Agrax would achieve the copper cable look...

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 27, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

loving Canada is keeping me from painting right now- it's been super cold and windy here so I haven't been able to prime any new figures.

Maybe I'll do the base for "crawling out of grave" guy tonight.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cross posting from the 40K thread, since there doesn't seem to be too much action over there:

Professor Shark posted:

Would these top knots fit MkIII/IV/V Space Marines?

It says that they are designed for 32mm

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Got this guy finished up (minus the base) today:

I skipped the Screaming Skull between Sepia and Agrax washes this time to see what would happen... I don't think it turned out as well as the Reaper guy I finished last week.

I think I'll work on the other swordsman next, I want to leave the Two-Handed Sword and Mace guy until towards the end, since I like them best. I'm going to hold off on my Goal Guy (Spear guy from the set) until I find a better way to paint purple.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nope, regular Agrax, but this guy is shiny as Hell. The Reaper has that old bone look, I guess the SS layer makes a difference.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Holy poo poo does Forgeworld ship fast. I ordered Tuesday and had a parcel in my hands Thursday afternoon. Painting some more skeletons this week, but will have to wait for March Break to start painting SM’s.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nice!

Space Marine decorum question: should pauldron color (gold in this case) match armor stud color?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Does anyone have a guide for painting bionics? I cannot find one online. It looks like most people just use Leadbelcher and Nuln, however the FW pic of the Legion Praevian has what appears to be a red or purple wash that adds some visual interest...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

inscrutable horse posted:

I usually do mine balthasar gold > nuln oil > runefang steel > necron compound; gives them a brass-like look that I like. if I want them to look antique, I then add a thin layer of nihilakh oxide.

e: Balthasar gold, not brass scorpion D:
e2: I r dumb, and not to be trusted :eng99:

I have no idea what to think :(

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

^^ :3:

Last night I made a wet pallet before working on Skeleton #4

I don’t know if it made my painting better, but I was certainly more relaxed while doing it.

I ended up having to do three coats of Xerxeus over white for some robes... and I don’t think I like the color! I’ll finish it as is, but I may have to reconsider the cape of my end-goal guy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I worked on robes last night:

(Xerxeus, Naggaroth for darker parts, Genestealer for highlights)

I'm not super happy with it. The video I followed suggests the violet shade in the deep recesses to finish, I'm not 100% on board with that.

I think I'll finish up the model and then decide.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Duct Tape posted:

Tried out GreenStuffWorld's Temple rolling pin last night. Really like how this works, so it's going to be my basing scheme for Space Marines/Guard, if I ever get around to making one of those armies. The only thing I don't like is that you can see the machine tooling on all the raised areas, but those should be easy to smooth over before it cures.

Those look amazing and I want to buy one. Do you just roll out the pattern on green stuff and then cut it out for the bases, or is it applied directly onto the bases?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't prime my minis with them on the GW painting handle? I can't imagine it would harm it, but at the same time I don't want to have to buy another one.

unrelated - Took a bit of a break from painting the last 2 weeks or so, but now I'm running the risk of not having all my poo poo painted for my next slow grow league, so... Work in progress Knight Incantor! Feels good to paint again :)

I feel like it would not work right afterwards and that the model would stick to it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm still waiting on my MKIV's to come in, however I did get some bitz in the mail yesterday and I'm excited, so I'll make a post and keep the fluff to a minimum:

Color Scheme

I'm going for a super basic, HH style white-with-colored-pauldrons:

Regular

Veteran

While the black should be easy, I'm of two minds on how I want to paint the white: using the method I found on YT which is Corax + Nuln/Nightshade, or the GW recommended Corax/Ulthuan/Agrax/White Scar.

I think both look great.

I'm also still debating which color of orange I'll go with as my main color: Troll Slayer or Fire Dragon. I'll prime some extra pauldrons when they come in and try both, though I think that a Corax White prime with Fire Dragon should create a nice medium orange.

Speaking of which, I have some custom pauldrons that will be the primary icon of my army. I ordered 15 to start, I'm hoping that they won't be as frustrating to paint as I think they'll be:

Master Crafted Miniatures, based on an old Chapter House design that I really liked... but then they went under.

In addition, I'll be incorporating quite a few bionic pieces into certain members of my squads as well as bone-colors, specifically Night Lords Terror squad heads from FW:

... as well as fur, skin, and scale cloaks/tabards, meaning I'll have quite a bit of colors to coordinate.

I also want to have a vintage style Imperial Guard auxiliary, so I bought this old RT medic to test out:

The rest will be from Mad Robot Miniatures, who has recreated the RT style line:

:siren:This thing is somewhat primed, but I want to remove it and start fresh. What is a good, environmentally friendly way of removing primer?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

MMD3 posted:

I'm planning to start making some ledges/shelves for displaying records in heavy rotation on my walls, is there any concern with storing vinyl at a slight angle like this if it is in the sleeve? Like if I didn't change out what was on the wall more than once every 3 to 6 months would that be damaging or should I be fine?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/458571612/vinyl-record-ledge-record-shelf-vinyl

I’ve had a lot of success using washes. You should also consider upgrading to a wet pallet.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I second that, absent op’s are bad. Normally I’m all in on creating Effort OP’s, but I don’t feel I know enough about painting to create one.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My latest:

I was focusing on my edging on this one.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm gonna paint Odo's bucket tonight. What would be a good base for gold among the primers that I have? Black, white, gray, averland sunset

Bucket:

This post owns, put it in the op for the next thread

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought a 0000 brush today, looking forward to trying it out tomorrow

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is there a video guide for painting Cream according to GW? I want to do Rakarth/Pallid Wych/Agrax/White Scar.

I have my legs+torso ready on my first guy, head separate. I'm kicking myself for not adding at least one arm, I'll have to do the arms and bolter separate too

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man, this Cream is kicking my rear end:

That's the first coat of black on the straps, I missed a couple spots.

I don't even like the Cream and don't think I'll use it, I'll go with the Citadel guide for White Scars instead (which is simply Ulhuan Grey instead of Rakarth Flesh).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can anyone explain how these things work? I assume it is all the colors you want to use on the models?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fake James posted:

What brand/color is that? Looks like it would be a good highlight color for my Death Guard.

Rakarth then Pallid Wych layered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Last night I printed and painted a couple dire wolves for our D&D campaign:

I think they turned out okay, despite being 2D. Really I just wanted to try out this lovely brush I mistakenly ordered (Citadel brush for comparison):