Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
reposting from the 40k thread

Two Beans posted:

one son done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Finally got round to painting up Khalida:

My TK so far:

What's your technique for those desert bases?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
beep beep i'm a tank

I used some sprue engineering to attach the combi-bolter turret while allowing 360 rotation.

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 7, 2018

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

The Sex Cannon posted:

Anyone have a good recipe using GW paints for plasma coils? I'm aiming for the teal to white that the studio uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpSVZiYLuPY

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Partial Octopus posted:

So I managed to strip some old metal models with Xylene. It worked amazingly well but I still can't get the remaining primer out of some of the recesses. A toothbrush isn't cutting it. Any suggestions for what to use? I tried an ultrasonic cleaner but it didn't do poo poo.

For metal, there's always the nuclear option.

Carburetor cleaner.

Do not touch with skin.

Do dispose of responsibly.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
lil' book dude

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

Far be it from me to question Duncan himself, but why doesn't he use a wet palette? At least in his videos. Is it simply because GW doesn't make a wet palette like Privateer Press does, therefore he's not allowed to use it? I know he uses the Citadel dry palette pads, but every video I can see wasted dry paint on the palette.

Him not paying for the paint might be a factor, also I think I read or heard him say in an interview that a lot of the Tip of the Day minis never get finished paint jobs anyway since they're just for the videos.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Miles O'Brian posted:

nor Incubi Darkness

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Incubi-Darkness-Spray

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Carburetor cleaner will strip anything off metal. It will also turn plastic into slimey goop and it will destroy your skin. Use with caution.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

KING OV HELL posted:

God, bizarro Duncan gives lefties such a bad rap. Every time I watch a video with him in it he looks like he's making a pbj instead of painting mans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hx9TO4Tao8

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

I hosed up an Alpha Legion shoulder pad trying to shave off the insignia. Is there a good way to press mold an insignia and make another hydra to transfer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wjpJTDuMUQ

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Dr. Gargunza posted:

(Probably gonna stick with Goth Eschers unless I get a better idea.)

Luna Vachon

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

DiHK posted:

They all thought it was blaze medium. :420:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Deviant posted:

Is there any good reason my 0 brush would dry frayed after being used once? Didn't get any paint up into the ferrule, kept it rinsed. It forms a point wet, but dries rough.

Both were used in about the same way, and I find it hard to believe I've damaged it after one use.

This might help you:

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/inicio/627-brush-repair-gel.html

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
crosspostin'

Two Beans posted:

Finally completed these fellas for my 40k CSM Tzeentch force.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
A base coat of Averland Sunset or an equivalent is also a good foundation to build a nice bright yellow on top of.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
xpost

Two Beans posted:

Finished my Tzeentch Dark Apostle conversion for my Lost Sons Chaos Marines.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Mikey Purp posted:

^^ As someone who has been thinking hard about getting into 40k with a Thousand Sons army, that is loving amazing. Super clean and I love the bird skull especially. Did you make the base?

Yep! Polyform Sculpy III polymer clay flattened and imprinted with the Egyptian print rolling pin from GreenStuffWorld. Once it was baked I let it cool, then I snapped it into pieces and glued them to bases for priming. Here's a pic of them when I was slathering them with Agrax Earthshade (as well as the Sorcerer in Terminator Armor I'm also working on).

quote:

Blood for the Blood God!

This motherfucker is siiiiick.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
xpost

Two Beans posted:

Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch in Terminator Armour

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Keeping brushable primer on hand is good for those cases when you discover mould lines after priming.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Lost Sons - Chaos Space Marines - Leviathan Dreadnought

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Gunder posted:

I've recently started painting 40k miniatures, and think I got a little confused as to what exactly an undercoat actually is. I thought that the spray can of Macragge Blue, that I bought from GW, was the same thing as doing an undercoat AND a basecoat simultaneously. This is not the case? It seems to work just fine as a starting point for dry brushing and painting in details. I've already finished one of my intercessor squads, and want to check here before I begin on the rest of my army, in case I'm doing it wrong. Should I be spraying them all black with that Chaos Black undercoat first, letting it dry, then spraying on the Macragge blue base paint afterwards? Will it affect the finished colour noticeably?

All the citadel rattlecan spray paints are primer.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Completed my Obliterator conversions.

Also got a lightbox pic of 'Taker.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

I kind of wanted to try getting some of ones with the beak-helmets

Come play with resin, m'lord.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Mr Teatime posted:

My question is will the texture paint still work visually when applied on the remaining free area and would it work to apply it to some of the raised cork areas? From a technical perspective would I need to seal the cork somehow before applying the texture?

I think of you prime the corked bases first, you should be good to apply the texture paint on the top surfaces of the cork.

I think the idea of Death Guard standing on rocks jutting out of pools of nasty green goo is pretty boss.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Big photo dump of badguy egypt marines coming!

Finished my kitbashed Chaos Chosen today.

Tha Sqwadd

Aspiring Champion

Marine with Burnin' Bird (counts as Icon of Flame)

Three bad boyz

I also completed a small squad of Chaos Marines a little bit ago as well

And here's everyone that's painted thus far:

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 6, 2018

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

What are people’s suggested solutions to hunching over your desk while you paint/hobby and having your back in rebellion against you if you try to do more than 30 minutes a day?

Lean back in your chair.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I'm switching up my painting workspace. Does anyone have suggestions for a good lamp/lightbulb to use for painting?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Red Herring posted:

Third body done. Do I put blood splatter on the chainsword?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLEuqHcOpJw

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
xpost!

Two Beans posted:

Some pix of recently completed paint jobs.

First off, two Vindicator Laser Destroyers.

Then my Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour that I finished today.

And here's a still from my Chaos Lord's upcoming debut rap video

I'm gonna try to get a shot of all the completed Lost Sons soon for Army August.

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 12, 2018

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

I'm looking on GW's site, but I can't find that Thousand Sons Chaos Lord. Is that an old model, or is it some sort of kit-bashing thing?

He's a Thousand Sons Legion Praetor that I gave a combi-plasma to.

quote:

Also, how do you do the dirt along the bottom of the tanks? Is that just dry-brushing?

Agrax Earthshade wash > Typhus Corrosion technical paint > drybrush Zandri Dust > drybrush Tyrant Skull

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Duct Tape posted:

Anyone have experience with Green Stuff World's textured rolling pins for making custom bases? I'm looking at their Factory Ground or Double Diamond for Genestealer Cult and some custom objective markers, as well as Alien Hive for Tyranid (someday).

I love the idea of being able to roll out custom bases that look consistent between models. However, aside from their promo pictures, I can't find too many pictures or videos of people using them for mini bases, and haven't found any that really inspire the sense of "I need to build and paint that one".

I use the Egyptian textured rolling pin from GSW. It's great. Here's a few bases I used Sculpey III and the rolling pin for.

And not a base, but the rolling pin was used

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
^^^ holy poo poo that daemonnette

x-post

Two Beans posted:

NOVA crunch time progress, no lightbox.

Lost Sons Chaos Lord on Disc of Tzeentch and Exalted Champion of Tzeentch

---

11 marines left.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

richyp posted:

Apologies for Sigmar stuff,

Never apologize for showing off that beautiful blood boy.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I got this tank and it has these bubbly holes in it. I'm not really sure what to do with them to make them pop. I want it to look sickly though.

Squeeze them between two fingers.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Geisladisk posted:

I'm doing these artillery guns and they came with these nice scenic bases.

The area next to the stone walls is recessed a little, and I want to make it look like a little ditch full of drainwater. How would I go about making a dirty little 15mm scale stream? I've only ever done big rivers using water effects, that technique seems like it wouldn't work for something that small.

Slather Agrax Earthshade Gloss where you want the dirty water, and do multiple coats.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

any advice on how to get that color pallette in the ~Citadel System of Paints?~

The Citadel Paint App has a feature to load an image and pick colors, then output a selection of paints that match.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Emperor-s-Children-Legion-Kakophoni

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
xpost

Two Beans posted:

Posting my first model of 2019

Lord Nakhtmin, Fan-bearer on the Right Side of the King, Overseer of the Lost Sons, Praetor of the Thousand Sons Legion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
xpost!