Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder if /v/ will ever chill out about this game or if their asshurt will continue on for many months from now. I've never understood why people take Demons Souls and poo poo so loving seriously.

Just run of the mill shitposting. Maybe like 10% of the people posting that poo poo believe what they're posting. Mostly it's just super easy to get a rise out of people who are diehard fans so pretty much the only reason to post on /v/ at all is to either make people angry or get angry yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love the Threaded Cane a whole lot but I'm probably gonna cheat on it with the Burial Blade shhhh don't tell

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

anyway i need to loving kill shadows of yharnam but they have like 20k health each in ng+ and by the time i do 5 visceral attacks on 1 guy to drop his health bar to half they all transform and get faster and do more dmg

that is an idiotic amount of HP

Though I wonder if you'd do more DPS without doing visceral attacks. Like, if you just kept swinging your weapon for the amount of time a parry/visceral attack would take would it go faster

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SleepySonata posted:

My brother on his quality Ludwig build destroyed the one reborn. My whip being just a setup tool for viscerals can't plunge attack the boss with any success, I can keel him over and/or whittle him down but I can't ever seem to land a V.Attack. then he usually does some bullshit sniper shot at an impossible angle after sweeping me :suicide:

Hug his side and hang out between his legs and just swing the cane in cane form. That's what I did and it worked.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

01011001 posted:

i really dont care about infinite echoes glitches. its the same poo poo as grinding it out but takes less time

Until you get to NG+, at which point enemies just throw blood echoes at you like nothing.

The real poo poo is upgrade materials. Duping coldblood, I mean, sure, okay, but it'd probably take less time to just go kill a few NG+ enemies. But if there was still a dupe glitch you better believe I'd be duping piles of blood stone chunks and rocks, because gently caress that scarcity

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I tried that in the defiled chalice dungeons and Amygdala didn't get any dumber for me. In fact I'd say she got harder cause then she started doing attacks that more or less made it a lot harder to hit her head. Results may vary, and they're supposedly fixing that in 1.03 (alongside improving load times).

Anyway, bosses that I beat first try:

Vicar Amelia
One Reborn
Darkbeast Paarl
Martyr Logarius
Celestial Emissary
Mergo's Wet Nurse
Both final bosses (I beat the first one and only needed 1 blood vial - beast claws bitch)
And a variety of chalice bosses

Bosses I beat first try:

Cleric Beast
Gascoigne
BSB
Paarl
Shadows
Witch
Emissary
Micolash
bunch of chalice bosses

Amelia made the the angriest of any boss. Like I know she's probably really easy but for some reason her pattern just fucks me every time

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 17, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

apropos to nothing posted:

the smaller number of checkpoints is one of my favorite things about BB. In DS2 there were so many bonfires in each area, some of them were ridiculously close. BB has just one, maybe 2 per area and tons of shortcuts back to them which means the levels loop back on themselves and so there's overall better world design.

Finding a shortcut is so much more fun than finding a new bonfire/lantern and has about the same effect so this is way better, yep

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

there is that one spot (those who have finished the game know what I'm talking about) that has insanely weird lantern placement and I'm still not sure why they did that

Probably because they had this "every time you kill a boss a lantern shows up" rule because they're Archstones and that's how Archstones worked

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neurosis posted:

36 hours to finish the game.

highlights were killing that creepy guy who wanted to help people in the tomb of oeden cathedral and accidentally killing arianna when i was killing her mutant baby

Poor Oedon Chapel guy :smith: He only wanted to have friends

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Load times aren't 5-15 seconds. They're 5-15 seconds shorter. They're still pretty long. They put item descriptions there like Dark Souls now, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

im playeing this. i chose the axe/halberd as my starting weapon, but ill probably change it once i pick something else up. do u really need ps+ to play this online? i got a free trial anyway.

Axe is a good choice.

sector_corrector posted:

from my experience you're swimming in upgrade mats after a while, and can farm at least the early ones, so feel free to go wild w/ trying out weapons and upgrading them in the first tier

Blood stone chunks (needed to go from +6 to +9) can be a huge pain so don't waste them. If you explore a whole bunch you'll get enough to get two weapons to +9 and one to +8, but after that you gotta grind and the drop rate on them is really lovely.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

01011001 posted:

i vaguely remember dodging them whilr running a few times to the cathedral to finish eileen's questline but I could have just been being dumb about it

They're napping. They'll wake up if you get close, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Cool. Is there an accepted pvp range yet? I'm planning my current build around leveling to 100 but idk if that's going to net me many invasions in ng+

100 is pretty safe, wouldn't go higher than that. 100 also makes sure you can be strong enough to handle NG+

Also NG and NG+ aren't divided in their player pools, it's all level and that's it.

For reference my highest character is 125 and I still get a decent stream of invasions/getting invaded at Mergo's Loft.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stay super close, use fire paper, and I think it's easier if you don't lock on.

Whip form might be better than cane form even close up, because it's serrated and Amelia has crazy defense against the blunt attacks the cane form does.

Amelia is still one of the harder bosses for me and gave me no end of trouble on my first playthrough (in which I used the cane).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

it would be cool to use the loch shield against logarias, but that would take some impressive gaming to take down the first dlc boss before cainhurst. i'll have to try it out

Nah, just skip Cainhurst until after you take down the first DLC boss. It's a totally optional area so you can go do it whenever.

All you really need to take down the first DLC boss on NG is 30+ vitality and a +9 weapon, which you can get with a quick trip into post-Rom Yahar'gul.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Bloodborne should be arriving tomorrow, any quick tips for my first run?

All the starting weapons are cool and good, Cane is my favorite but starts weak, Saw Cleaver is probably the most versatile

Parry everything with your gun

No, really, drat near every non-giant-boss enemy can and should be parried

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tumor looking batty posted:

i havent followed much of the story but are you the bad guy like you were in ds?

Hard to say. Depends on what you believe regarding the beasts

i think there's only one "bad" ending, and the third ending is either super bad or super good depending on what you think it means for ~*~humanity~*~

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Soul of the mind, kee to life's ether. May strength be granted so that the world might be mended. So the world might be mended

please give us demon's souls on ps4 fromsoft thanks

Bobnumerotres posted:

ive been stuck on cursed watchdog forever. i know i just have to be patient and play defensively but after attempt 20 or so i just want it to be loving over with

the first time i did this like a year ago i one-shot him now he's impossible :shrug:

I beat him first try the first time I played through because I was using the threaded cane which made it super easy to just whap him on the nose from afar

I fear the next time I run into him

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

btw, i like posting this vid, cos its mine lol, this is what i meant by walking away from its attacks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4rBX69MY1U i didnt press the dodge button a single time like a bau5

i didn't know this what the gently caress, i'm never going to try to parry him again

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

i havent found any lanterns yet but i feel like ive covered a lot of ground

There's a lamp to the right of where you go to fight the first boss. Instead of going up the hill, go to the right and enter the little church-like area and there's a lamp right there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You mostly wanna dodge ol' ludwig to the left in my experience, especially when he charges

And make sure to get the lamp right before him otherwise the boss run is super annoying

Also don't even try to dodge when he leaps up and disappears for a couple seconds. Just run in a direction and he'll miss you. If you dodge you might get hit in a counter-frame and get one-shot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Can you get whirligig before Ludwig? I still have my +6 hammer and want to find a good DLC wep before I get too far. I found a boom hammer, hwhip sword and Hunter cutter or something

Yes, it's past the lamp to Ludwig's door's right. Go down the stairs near that lamp and follow the path

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tumor looking batty posted:

does ludwig fight honorably like my friend Artorias?

Eventually

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The threaded cane is still my favorite weapon even after the DLC, at least once you start getting lots of SKL and get some gems in it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

My attack rating with moonlight great sword +10 is over 600 :staredog:

It's split damage so it doesn't actually hit that hard unfortunately because of how defenses work in these games

Weapon still owns though, that transformed L2 is amazing. I need more nourishing gems for this thing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's the perfect Amygdala-fighting weapon

I love you threaded cane

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bloodborne's art direction is really impeccable. The statues are all great and offer hints as to what's really up before any of the reveals, and I love all the Nightmare skyboxes

Bobnumerotres posted:

bloodborne streamlined a lot of things and made the movement+combat a lot more arcadey and actiony, it's the polar opposite of dark souls 2 in terms of gameplay feel. its one of the reasons i can just keep playing it over and loving over again

Yeah, it really feels so drat good to play. I'm gonna miss that sidestep dodge in Dark Souls 3

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I really wish this game had a boss fight mode, I want to perfect my boss strategies but once they're dead that's it. imagine running into orphan of kos in a chalice dungeon.

It would be cool if you could go to any boss fight area and spend insight or something to re-fight the boss after you beat them as many times as you want

I'd go re-fight like all the DLC bosses just for fun

Co-oping is fun but for some bosses like Lady Maria it just breaks the boss AI and isn't very fun

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I feel like most of the bosses are too easy in Coop. As a rule I usually do everything solo and then on the next run I do everything coop to see what it's like but the coop fights are just like, one guy kiting the boss around while everyone else just annihilates it without consequence

I like to be a co-op helper whenever I can but I don't like to summon help (except against Ludwig but that's because I was trying to get the HMS earlier than I should've)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I just found out weapons can transform and also that locking is almost always bad so I just roll up to that bonfire with all the hunters and roll around with r1 r1 l1 l1 like a sir until everyone is dead instead of kiting them all for 10 mins.

Locking on is good against enemies your size because the sidestep dodge it lets you do is faster and covers more distance than the unlocked roll dodge

Locking on is almost always bad against really big enemies, it makes the camera go nuts

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's OK against one or 2 small dudes, but I like being able to change direction in crowds.

Yeah being able to pivot on a dime when fighting a big crowd is super important

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah that's what he was telling me about...I don't actually like the cleaver transformed outside of combos tho.

Cleaver is best in normal mode unless you need reach, but its transforming attacks are really good. Ending a combo with an L1 attack is a good idea because it does extra damage.

Saw Cleaver is one of the best weapons in the game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Micolash has owned me with A Call Beyond more times than I care to admit, mostly on NG+

I really hate that boss. It seems like it's the easy joke fight so when I die to it I feel insulted

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Switched back to my NG+ skill character from my Holy Moonlight Sword guy and I'm having so much more fun. Threaded Cane is my favorite weapon in the series

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

this guy fights the first dlc boss (i guess i'll do spoilers since we have new people reading) bare handed on ng+7. his voice is terrible tho...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-n3nSLY20

I think he's done this with every DLC boss except the optional one now. This dude always does crazy challenges in Souls games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

vageta311 casually parrying havel holds a special place for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hrh94Dc-h0&t=762s

I miss vageta311's videos. I hope he starts making them again for DS3.

mysterious loyall X posted:

I just rin in a huge circle wjoch is probably as tedious as kill8ng tjw babies

I always kill all the spiders but it's just because I'm really good at dodging the meteors now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That opening double-parry in the neo video is the best

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm great at parrying in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls (and Bloodborne) but absolutely terrible at it in Dark Souls 2. The timing is so weird and I never really got it in all my time playing

The parry timing in Demon's and Dark is "swing your shield so that it hits your attacker's hand." It always works.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Bro posted:

He has two jumps. One which works with normal jump timing (I dunno how to explain this, but most jumps in BB follow the same delay on rolling. It's consistent enough across the game such that when I first fraught Ludwig, I was able to dodge his jump purely based on that timing) and the other has a big delay on it, but has a visual cue of blood dripping from the ceiling. The blood drips at even intervals, and Ludwig drops when the third blood drip would occur, so you can work out the timing based on that visual cue.

People in the (terrible) Games thread say there's an audio cue too, but I am too tone deaf to confirm that for myself. Hope that helps, couldn't imagine defeating Ludwig with a SL4 char myself.

When it comes to dodging his "stay in the air" leap, don't dodge at all. Just pick a direction and sprint. He'll land just behind you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

he has one short jump that always seems to catch me, even if i do the sprinting thing

Yeah, that one you have to roll. It worked for me to just spam roll when he did the short jump, but that was mostly luck.

Yeah Bro posted:

People say this works, but I reckon it leaves you in a worse position afterword. A single roll will use less stamina and put you in place to smash his head with an r2 or two.

It probably does leave you less able to counterattack strongly afterwards but that's worth it to me for something that's a 100% guarantee of not getting flattened. I just turned around and smacked him with an R1 then continued fighting as normal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

my way of doing it is to run towards him but keep running once u reach where he jumped from. i do this for kos too

Yeah that definitely works. Only leap I still really have trouble dodging is Maria's but that's just because I keep dodging towards her, which is what works for Gehrman's "jump in the air and shoot an air blast" attack but gets me hit by Maria's leap

also your holiday av owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Benny D posted:

Why did anyone ever think this was a good way to make a game. I understand hardcore modes in Diablo but this seems ridiculous in an mmo

Carry-over from MUDs, where it was a carry-over from tabletop D&D (actually MUDs tend to be a lot kinder). If you die in classic D&D you're dead for good unless your pals get someone to resurrect you, in which case you lose levels and it's also harder if your body was destroyed. In MUDs they just made it so dying made you lose your gear and some experience so you had to run back to your corpse to get your gear, and EQ was pretty much just a 3D MUD when it came out so it copied that wholesale. People just didn't think about it for a while because that was how it had always been so it was clearly the "right" way to do it, and you know how nerds are when you change things on them.

It's actually kind of interesting to see the XP/gear penalty on death slowly fade away through generations of MMOs. I remember when City of Heroes came out and it did away with losing XP on death and instead you got an XP debt so you'd get half XP until you paid it off and it seemed so much more friendly. Then WoW came along and it was just a durability penalty with a corpse run to avoid a resurrection sickness debuff. Now some MMOs don't even bother to penalize you at all. In GW2 your equipment slowly breaks but it's free to repair it so it's a minor inconvenience at worst.

sorry for the nerdpost but I used to play MUDs and I find all this poo poo stupidly fascinating